The Food Thread

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    They still make Golden Grahams?
    Got a box of it in our cupboard!

Juggler, yum.  Again, not big on peppers - but my mom used to make something similar (a Persian version) and they were delicious.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Just got back from a long weekend on the bayou in Louisiana.
    Stopped boats to get fresh skrimps.  We usually get a giant sack of oysters as well but did not this time.  Did skrimps about 5 ways, including some of us eating them raw. 
    Redfish and speckled trout, both fresh caught.  Tacos.  The redfish were shot while bowfishing at night.
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    Massive amounts of booze.
    So good....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Stopped boats to get fresh skrimps.  We usually get a giant sack of oysters as well but did not this time.  Did skrimps about 5 ways, including some of us eating them raw. 
    Redfish and speckled trout, both fresh caught.  Tacos.  The redfish were shot while bowfishing at night.
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    No crawfish boil?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    Holy crap. This sounds awesome.  Hell of a trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09KL2HUXE6Q

Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    No crawfish boil?
    MUDBUGS! I love me some of these things so much.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Did a big crawfish boil in May when we went.  Go down there 1-2x per year.  Crawfish boils are indeed good things, although I admit to eating the items other than the crawfish.  If they were crabs then I would eat more, but if it is crawdads I go for the spice charged potatoes, corns, sausage, and that stuff. 
    Did a big crawfish boil in May when we went.  Go down there 1-2x per year.  Crawfish boils are indeed good things, although I admit to eating the items other than the crawfish.  If they were crabs then I would eat more, but if it is crawdads I go for the spice charged potatoes, corns, sausage, and that stuff. 
    Tell me more about this trip.  Is it a thing you do and set up on your own?  Do you have family down there?  Basically, how the hell do I plan this for myself?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Tell me more about this trip.  Is it a thing you do and set up on your own?  Do you have family down there?  Basically, how the hell do I plan this for myself?
    Prerequisites: Do you have a purty mouth? And can you squeal like a pig?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I will admit I had similar thoughts earlier.
    One of my fraternity brothers is originally from New Orleans...his family had a fishing camp out there.  He and his older brother took it over and fixed it up.  We have been going there for 20 years, and regularly for 10.  My buddy bought a neighboring camp and fixed that all up as well...built bunk houses.  We do 1-2 big parties as a college buddies group but they do shit all of the time.  (His brother lives in New Orleans, my college friend is based in Lafayette..both 2 hours from the landing for the camp, which is only accessible by boats

So we have the hook up.  Having gone so many times I have met some really good guides, including one who offers a place that is on land that is boat accessible & car accessible and he has you bring food and fishing poles.  (Sure he could supply for extra)
    Know the bowfishing captain as well and could provide that info.
    If you want more info I am happy to provide directly.
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    I will admit I had similar thoughts earlier.
    These jokes never get old!

One of my fraternity brothers is originally from New Orleans...his family had a fishing camp out there.  He and his older brother took it over and fixed it up.  We have been going there for 20 years, and regularly for 10.  My buddy bought a neighboring camp and fixed that all up as well...built bunk houses.  We do 1-2 big parties as a college buddies group but they do shit all of the time.  (His brother lives in New Orleans, my college friend is based in Lafayette..both 2 hours from the landing for the camp, which is only accessible by boats

So we have the hook up.  Having gone so many times I have met some really good guides, including one who offers a place that is on land that is boat accessible & car accessible and he has you bring food and fishing poles.  (Sure he could supply for extra)
    Know the bowfishing captain as well and could provide that info.
    If you want more info I am happy to provide directly.
    I've lived in Baton Rouge and Cotile lake.  Louisiana is one of my favorite states.

I'm a big fan of Horace Trahans Butt Thing, tomales, mustard greens, daiquiris to go and boudin!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    i made stuffed peppers on the grill last night. On Friday I made grilled cheese hot dogs. 

I am am going to have Golden Grahams cereal with a banana this morning. 
    You need to tell us more about them stuffed peppers!
    They were good
    Rice and meat stuffed?  I love hearing ingredients in things, sorry.

I've had Greek style stuffed peppers which were amazing.

Didn't have rice so just went with couscous, ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper, parmesan cheese and chopped up a bunch of cherry tomatoes from the garden topped with mozzarella. Grilled in an aluminum pan (with water on bottom to get 'em nice and moist), indirect heat for about a half hour. Not bad.

Next time I think I'm gonna finish them directly on the grill gates for a few minutes though.

chinese-happy.jpg
    Drive Thru Daquiris & boudin are both great things.  We were far south of you....bayous south of Houma.
    Drive Thru Daquiris & boudin are both great things.  We were far south of you....bayous south of Houma.
    You're way deep!  Those are real coonass'!

I always thought it was interesting that a person would proudly declare themselves a "coonass" and the debate of where someone was born to qualify as one, born below the 20 or born below the 10.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    whoa that sounds awesome!!!!
    No pictures?!
    what's the local beer called down there?  do they drink lots of abita?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    No pictures?!
    I have a picture of a local drinking a Strawberry Abita in a doctors office, lol!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Pink Brandywine tomato, yes, just one.
    Cocozelle zucchini
    Hot bananas (long hots to some)
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Simmered until thickened and put over angel hair pasta with asiago smothered breaded chicken.

Now what would you call that?
    Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    You're way deep!  Those are real coonass'!

I always thought it was interesting that a person would proudly declare themselves a "coonass" and the debate of where someone was born to qualify as one, born below the 20 or born below the 10.
    To get in the shit, you go down into the shit! 
    I always chuckle at how that term is used with pride.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Skrimp po-boys. 
    So good....
    No pictures?!
    We drink Coors Lights.  It is 1000 degrees and 99% humidity, lol.  You need to drink water. 
    Plenty of Abita over the years.  My experience is that they drink almost anything.
    It is a no cell coverage spot mostly so I never take my phone out of the bag, just seems like a good way to drop it in the water.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Simmered until thickened and put over angel hair pasta with asiago smothered breaded chicken.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    Delicious.  Mouth-watering.
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    Delicious.  Mouth-watering.
    HELL YEAH.

Haha good point.
    It was pretty good, not as good as it could have been if I was a pro with Italian spicing, I just never get it quite right.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Taco Tuesday
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I mi made a quick marinara sauce with penne.  Fresh basil and locatelli to garnish. Tito s and club to drink. 
    I had fries and chicken fingers.
    I hand cut the fries, but the chicken was frozen Tyson Anytizers.
    No shame.

Small shame lol
    That looks quite good McGruff!
    I like Penne but I am hate rigatoni.
    I'm not sure how to make sense of it.
    rgambs said:
    That looks quite good McGruff!
    I like Penne but I am hate rigatoni.
    I'm not sure how to make sense of it.
    Thanks bud!  Your dinner looked amazing!

Isn't penne smooth and rigatoni ridged, so the sauce-adhering factor is different?

And curious, as the majority of posters in this thread are men thus far.  Not to diss my gender, but is cooking like this more of a guy thing?  Regardless, I am impressed.

First man I fell in love with home-cooked us an exquisite but not frou-frou meal on our first date.  Even shopped for the ingredients together.  Granted, it wasn't his only quality I dug, but it was definitely one of them.

He also deep-fried a turkey just for the hell of it.  Was DELICIOUS!
    hedonist said:
    Isn't penne smooth and rigatoni ridged, so the sauce-adhering factor is different?

And curious, as the majority of posters in this thread are men thus far.  Not to diss my gender, but is cooking like this more of a guy thing?  Regardless, I am impressed.

First man I fell in love with home-cooked us an exquisite but not frou-frou meal on our first date.  Even shopped for the ingredients together.  Granted, it wasn't his only quality I dug, but it was definitely one of them.

He also deep-fried a turkey just for the hell of it.  Was DELICIOUS!
    I do all the cooking in the house. My girl actually seeks out gourmet dishes for me to make.