Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    Yeah, MMJ and Wilco both mix up the sets quite a bit. Wilco had a 6 night run in Chicago in 2014 and didn't repeat anything until the 5th night iirc. But if this is actually a conversation that's happening, jambands are where this comes from. Most regularly touring jambands (I'm a big umphreys McGee fan so let's use them as an example) don't repeat songs over the course of a week usually, whether the same venue or not. I saw 6 um shows in January > February and I think two repeats, maybe three
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options

derbydave said:

Lifted said:

I dont think MMJ or Wilco would play multiple nights at the same venue and do as many repeats as PJ just did...but then again, show to show, i think PJ plays a better variety than MMJ. So theres that...

Im in the camp that thinks PJ does a great job mixing up sets considering the type of band they are, but Im agreeing with people who say their set choices at msg this year were a failure even if the shows weren't.

I know it's off topic, but felt like this needed to be said...
    NO ONE mixes up their setlists better than My Morning Jacket...
    especially when they are doing more than one show in the same city!!
    MMJ did a 4 show run at The Beacon last year around Thanksgiving,
    and I'm pretty sure they didn't repeat a single song...
    and they were promoting a new album!!!
    There were also 3 back to back nights in Chicago without repeats.
    I saw multiple shows in Detroit, Columbus & Minneapolis last year,
    and they didn't repeat a single song!!

First I'll say MMJ is great. 2nd I'll say we all know Pearl Jam is a big influence on why MMJ mix it up the way they do so respect should be given to PJ for being one of their mentors. Lastly I'll say according to setlist.FM MMJ only has 4 shows so far in 2016 so lets look at 2015. MMJ had 83 shows and played 111 unique songs over that time. So far in 2016 Pearl Jam has 13 shows and has played 134 unique songs. Drops mic.
    number of songs here is irrelevant.....they are talking about mixing it up from show to show. what you need to do is see how many songs were repeated in back to back shows for a better comparison.
    It's not irreverent at all. It's all in the numbers. Pearl Jam have mixed there shows up more, playing a lot more different songs in 13 shows then they did in eighty plus.

There are a few points I want to make here. Number one. I'm not taking anything away from their Beacon run. I bet it was very special and they wanted it to be. But you are comparing that to a more average two day stand for Pearl Jam. Not one of their special runs like vs Mansfield 03 or Spectrum 09 which was likely a possible inspiration for MMJ to do their own special runs.

So regardless of some cool things they did last year they still failed to mix up their setlists overall more than PJ did in 13 shows. That's a powerful indicator.

And that is really my only last point. I think everyone needs to chill the fuck out. If you look at this 13 show tour so far it has been an AMAZING run and they have done a bunch of really cool things. Then PJ does too many repeats on a 2nd MSG show and everyone loses their mind like its all over. The party is over. Pearl Jam failed. It makes me sad how quickly fans lose faith. Look at the big picture. The numbers do not lie.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    MayDay10 said:

what is worse?

Mailing it in?

or

Phoning it in?

Definitely phoning. At least when you mail something, some effort goes into it. You have to get an envelope and go to the post office to ensure correct postage. With a phone, you just pick it and hit a few buttons without budging from the couch.

When are we going to say texting it in? Snapchatting it in?

:smiley:
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    jordn6971 said:

rylan said:

Karts said:

At some point in the past 5 years, they simply stopped even trying to be relevant. They went from musicians to entertainers.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read. You must be entertained at least right? Haha
    Lately I feel like Mike spends more time pointing to people in the audience and stuff than he does actually playing his guitar.
    Glad to see someone finally calling out McCready for being a mediocre fan-pointing guitar player...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Suziemay said:

MayDay10 said:

what is worse?

Mailing it in?

or

Phoning it in?

Definitely phoning. At least when you mail something, some effort goes into it. You have to get an envelope and go to the post office to ensure correct postage. With a phone, you just pick it and hit a few buttons without budging from the couch.

Yeah, but if it's a rotary phone......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    phungi said:

jordn6971 said:

rylan said:

Karts said:

At some point in the past 5 years, they simply stopped even trying to be relevant. They went from musicians to entertainers.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read. You must be entertained at least right? Haha
    Lately I feel like Mike spends more time pointing to people in the audience and stuff than he does actually playing his guitar.
    Glad to see someone finally calling out McCready for being a mediocre fan-pointing guitar player...
    if anyone is at the top of their game it's mccready. having seen the band live for the past 20 years (and I've played guitar for 20 years) I can honestly say that this might be his best playing. the man is absolutely on fire. night one at msg mccready was actually doing freaking laps around the stage because he had so much energy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    phungi said:

jordn6971 said:

rylan said:

Karts said:

I wouldn't go that far. He's the main reason I go see pearl jam. When he's focused hes incredible.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Suziemay said:

MayDay10 said:

what is worse?

Mailing it in?

or

Phoning it in?

Yeah, but if it's a rotary phone......
    I dunno, still think more effort goes into mailing than using a rotary phone. Unless you're mailing with a pre-paid envelope.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,918
    I can't wait to see the complaints after Fenway and Wrigley. Because you know they are going to repeat some hits on those nights (Alive, Corduroy, Betterman, Even Flow.......) There will be a small percentage of the 30,000 that are going both nights and they'll want to please everybody. And that's totally fine with me. But people's expectations for these shows are going to be out of control.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774

derbydave said:

Lifted said:

I dont think MMJ or Wilco would play multiple nights at the same venue and do as many repeats as PJ just did...but then again, show to show, i think PJ plays a better variety than MMJ. So theres that...

Im in the camp that thinks PJ does a great job mixing up sets considering the type of band they are, but Im agreeing with people who say their set choices at msg this year were a failure even if the shows weren't.

First I'll say MMJ is great. 2nd I'll say we all know Pearl Jam is a big influence on why MMJ mix it up the way they do so respect should be given to PJ for being one of their mentors. Lastly I'll say according to setlist.FM MMJ only has 4 shows so far in 2016 so lets look at 2015. MMJ had 83 shows and played 111 unique songs over that time. So far in 2016 Pearl Jam has 13 shows and has played 134 unique songs. Drops mic.
    number of songs here is irrelevant.....they are talking about mixing it up from show to show. what you need to do is see how many songs were repeated in back to back shows for a better comparison.
    It's not irreverent at all. It's all in the numbers. Pearl Jam have mixed there shows up more, playing a lot more different songs in 13 shows then they did in eighty plus.

There are a few points I want to make here. Number one. I'm not taking anything away from their Beacon run. I bet it was very special and they wanted it to be. But you are comparing that to a more average two day stand for Pearl Jam. Not one of their special runs like vs Mansfield 03 or Spectrum 09 which was likely a possible inspiration for MMJ to do their own special runs.

So regardless of some cool things they did last year they still failed to mix up their setlists overall more than PJ did in 13 shows. That's a powerful indicator.

And that is really my only last point. I think everyone needs to chill the fuck out. If you look at this 13 show tour so far it has been an AMAZING run and they have done a bunch of really cool things. Then PJ does too many repeats on a 2nd MSG show and everyone loses their mind like its all over. The party is over. Pearl Jam failed. It makes me sad how quickly fans lose faith. Look at the big picture. The numbers do not lie.
    Plus MMJ averages about 19-21 songs a night. Not even close to 30-34 that PJ play.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I took a look at MMJ's setlists from 2015. About ten shows. They averaged about 19 songs per show. They are a jam band so songs are longer.

Pearl Jam averages about 33 songs a night. Take away the ten repeats and you stil have more one off songs than MMJ plays in a night.

I would LOVE if Pearl Jam got more creative with their final encore though. They do have a huge traveling contingent and they have the songs to move around to move Alive to the first encore and Jeremy and Porch to the second encore every once in a while.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774

I took a look at MMJ's setlists from 2015. About ten shows. They averaged about 19 songs per show. They are a jam band so songs are longer.

Pearl Jam averages about 33 songs a night. Take away the ten repeats and you stil have more one off songs than MMJ plays in a night.

I would LOVE if Pearl Jam got more creative with their final encore though. They do have a huge traveling contingent and they have the songs to move around to move Alive to the first encore and Jeremy and Porch to the second encore every once in a while.

Agree about encore 2. Let's shake it up a bit.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Just remember: if everything is EPIC then nothing is EPIC.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    DeLukin said:

Just remember: if everything is EPIC then nothing is EPIC.

easily the most overused word here
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Very fair. Some of the covers aren't special anymore. It would be nice to put Baba and Rockin on the shelf for a while. Like an entire tour. Break out an old fav like Fortunate son. But not every other show.
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568

nicknyr15 said:

Very fair. Some of the covers aren't special anymore. It would be nice to put Baba and Rockin on the shelf for a while. Like an entire tour. Break out an old fav like Fortunate son. But not every other show.
    Let's also stop ending every first encore with Porch

Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 104

Well said.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Ten > Pearl Jam > Dark Matter > Gigaton > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    If MMJ had radio hits as big as Alive, Even Flow, Better Man, etc... they sure as hell would be playing them every night because they would know a significant portion of their fans attending the shows are there to hear those songs.
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    edited May 2016
    Karts said:

rylan said:

Karts said:

Yes, I was. Just watch the Garden DVD, the honesty in the delivery of the music, they illustrated a viewpoint to a congregation of believers. As Ed said "we felt like we have a job to do". 13 years later, that job is to entertain, and they do it fantastically.

The sincerity is long gone.

i agree 100% with this. ive been trying to put my finger on the difference in pearl jam live now and from 10-15 years ago. a pearl jam concert now is more of a celebration. eddie's talking alot and smiling and having fun, mike is pointing and running around the stage, you got these huge singalongs and much more crowd interaction than there ever was, and thats fine, thats what they are now, and at this stage in their career its inevitable that happens. BUT, its a completely different vibe than before.

i was watching the pinkpop show from 2000 and its like night and day from then and now. focused. intense. TIGHT. its all about the music and performing every song on fucking point. they didnt care about "entertaining" you, there were few smiles or jokes, they were there to kick your fucking ass with precision tight intense focused playing. every song was like a piledriver. thats not their intention when they step on stage anymore, and again thats fine, im not bashing them. id still rather see pearl jam live than just about anything else. tickets are harder to come by now because theyre a "mainstream" live band now, its not just us diehards that are filling up the arenas. you got the casual fans who wanna sing along and pump their fist to alive and even flow and elderly woman and better man, and at this point in their careers pearl jam is gonna give in to that. my sister is a casual fan, knows the hits, and if she went to a show where they didnt play those songs she'd think it sucked.

theres almost too much fan interaction. i wish theyd come onstage 1 nite and eddie would say "hello. good evening. im in a bad mood,i dont feel much like talking tonite, we're just gonna play", cuz thats what pretty much every pj show was their first 15-20 years.

Post edited by mrpink90 on
  • Options
    mrpink90 said:

Karts said:

rylan said:

Karts said:

Yes, I was. Just watch the Garden DVD, the honesty in the delivery of the music, they illustrated a viewpoint to a congregation of believers. As Ed said "we felt like we have a job to do". 13 years later, that job is to entertain, and they do it fantastically.

The sincerity is long gone.

i agree 100% with this. ive been trying to put my finger on the difference in pearl jam live now and from 10-15 years ago. a pearl jam concert now is more of a celebration. eddie's talking alot and smiling and having fun, mike is pointing and running around the stage, you got these huge singalongs and much more crowd interaction than there ever was, and thats fine, thats what they are now, and at this stage in their career its inevitable that happens. BUT, its a completely different vibe than before.

i was watching the pinkpop show from 2000 and its like night and day from then and now. focused. intense. TIGHT. its all about the music and performing every song on fucking point. they didnt care about "entertaining" you, there were few smiles or jokes, they were there to kick your fucking ass with precision tight intense focused playing. every song was like a piledriver. thats not their intention when they step on stage anymore, and again thats fine, im not bashing them. id still rather see pearl jam live than just about anything else. tickets are harder to come by now because theyre a "mainstream" live band now, its not just us diehards that are filling up the arenas. you got the casual fans who wanna sing along and pump their fist to alive and even flow and elderly woman and better man, and at this point in their careers pearl jam is gonna give in to that. my sister is a casual fan, knows the hits, and if she went to a show where they didnt play those songs she'd think it sucked.

theres almost too much fan interaction. i wish theyd come onstage 1 nite and eddie would say "hello. good evening. im in a bad mood,i dont feel much like talking tonite, we're just gonna play", cuz thats what pretty much every pj show was their first 15-20 years.

Well said. Each show in itself is still amazing but going to multiple shows in a row has lost its appeal lately
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited May 2016

derbydave said:

Lifted said:

Pearl Jam also has 3 more studio albums than MMJ...
    PLUS Lost Dogs which is practically 2 additional albums!!
    MMJ has somewhere around 100 unique songs in their entire catalog,
    and if my memory serves me correct,
    other than the Eagles Of Death Metal benefit song,
    they didn't do any covers on the 2015 tour at all!!
    MMJ was also supporting their new album,
    so of course they are going to be featuring the new songs in these shows!!
    I can say this with confidence...
    when you go to a MMJ show,
    you have absolutely no idea what songs will be played during their show,
    You can't really say that about a PJ show at this point in time!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643

Ive seen MMJ over 30 times. Just to address some things that have been said in this discussion...MMJ is not a jam band, they extend some songs live, like Pearl Jam does, but it's all structured. If they were a jam band, it wouldn't be fair to compare the two, but they're not.

I can say having followed MMJ and PJ both for a long time that PJ mixes up their sets significantly better than MMJ, and it's not even close. BUT...and this is the reason I brought them up...for any multiple night stands at the same venue, MMJ always makes it a point to not repeat songs. Im just wondering why a band like Pearl Jam, who has a deeper catalog, and likely an equal percentage of fans attending multiple shows for the same venue, does not do this. They're certainly capable, and it's certainly a legitimate criticism by fans who are going to these shows.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Philly 1 & 2 were amazing shows.

With that being said, I was a little surprised they did the extended version of RVM to close out a set both nights. I can't help but feel like that wouldn't have happened 5 or 6 years ago.

It is what it is, they still put on a kick ass show. I'm just not going to be trying to catch as many shows on future tours. This saturation point I've reached is as much on me as it is the band. (Probably more on me)

I'm looking forward to the two Fenway shows, and am not too concerned about what they play, but it definitely feels like they've changed their approach to writing setlists in recent years. (Which is 100% their prerogative)
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 274
    jordn6971 said:

jordn6971 said:

Eddie needing a handle and platform to stand on so he could swing on those lightning bolt orbs was always hilarious to me.

Now your trolling. Why are you even here? It sucks you are not a fan anymore. It's run it's course for you. You aren't getting anything out of it anymore. Best to just move on.
    Bullshit I love their music still as much as anyone here. I'm just not happy with the live shows lately. The previous post was about how they are just out there to entertain. There is no spontaneity in swinging from that orb when they attatch a handle to it. Very lame.
    Ed's also 50. That's much different than 30. And he's a father. I commend him for still wanting to do some onstage tricks. However, speaking as a 38 year old father, I commend him more for doing so much more safely.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

Ive seen MMJ over 30 times. Just to address some things that have been said in this discussion...MMJ is not a jam band, they extend some songs live, like Pearl Jam does, but it's all structured. If they were a jam band, it wouldn't be fair to compare the two, but they're not.

I can say having followed MMJ and PJ both for a long time that PJ mixes up their sets significantly better than MMJ, and it's not even close. BUT...and this is the reason I brought them up...for any multiple night stands at the same venue, MMJ always makes it a point to not repeat songs. Im just wondering why a band like Pearl Jam, who has a deeper catalog, and likely an equal percentage of fans attending multiple shows for the same venue, does not do this. They're certainly capable, and it's certainly a legitimate criticism by fans who are going to these shows.
    I think it's a fair argument (repeats over 2 nights in the same city) but that percentage of fans is so small compared to the whole crowd, I don't think they are concerned about it. What percentage would you say were both at both Philly shows or MSG shows (as well as looking forward to Fenway and Wrigley)? Maybe 5%? 10%? There are a ton of casual fans going to one show who want to hear hits. Maybe they've come to terms with that (it seems so). But I just have a hard time criticizing a band that plays 30+ song/3+ hour sets every night. Long time fans have come to expect way too much. And maybe the band is partly to blame for that due to the bar that they've set over the years. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
  • Options

jordn6971 said:

jordn6971 said:

Eddie needing a handle and platform to stand on so he could swing on those lightning bolt orbs was always hilarious to me.

Now your trolling. Why are you even here? It sucks you are not a fan anymore. It's run it's course for you. You aren't getting anything out of it anymore. Best to just move on.
    Bullshit I love their music still as much as anyone here. I'm just not happy with the live shows lately. The previous post was about how they are just out there to entertain. There is no spontaneity in swinging from that orb when they attatch a handle to it. Very lame.
    Ed's also 50. That's much different than 30. And he's a father. I commend him for still wanting to do some onstage tricks. However, speaking as a 38 year old father, I commend him more for doing so much more safely.
    It was cool the first time but then he started doing it every night.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2016

Lifted said:

I think it's a fair argument (repeats over 2 nights in the same city) but that percentage of fans is so small compared to the whole crowd, I don't think they are concerned about it. What percentage would you say were both at both Philly shows or MSG shows (as well as looking forward to Fenway and Wrigley)? Maybe 5%? 10%? There are a ton of casual fans going to one show who want to hear hits. Maybe they've come to terms with that (it seems so). But I just have a hard time criticizing a band that plays 30+ song/3+ hour sets every night. Long time fans have come to expect way too much. And maybe the band is partly to blame for that due to the bar that they've set over the years. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
    I hear you. I see both sides of the argument. I just think PJ has a big enough catalog and enough hits to do a two night stand with zero repeats. Spread the hits out...

Night 1

Alive
    Jeremy
    Black
    Small town
    Evolution
    Why go
    Breath
    Ledbetter
    Release
    I got shit

Night 2

Even flow
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Given to fly
    Porch
    Love and trust
    Rearviewmirror
    Leash
    Daughter
    Not for you

There's 20 songs i would consider crowd favorites/ hits. Dont see why it's not possible to play for the casual fan each night and not repeat any songs. It is.

Definitely the choice of the band, and that's fine. Shows are still great. But i think it's a fair criticism, and not in vein. The band often listens to the desires of the fans.

Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    That would work too.

It'll be interesting to see how the Canadian shows play out.