Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    dkast85 said:

I'm glad this thread turned into a terrible Phish discussion bc this topic was bad anyway.

There was nothing terrible about either discussion.
    except that fish were involved...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

Please stop talkng about Phish.

:lol:

amen
    We're making a Phish thread in the "Other Music" section. Chill down.

One thing I find really funny about PJ fans is that if you don't say "Great show" after every show then you must hate Pearl Jam. Shows how little PJ fans value the music.
    1. thats not true. people definitely will debate and be objective, however must shows are indeed great.
    2. stop being such a phish fan saying stuff like "pj fans dont really value music" - your band is a shell of what it was in the mid 90s.. youre trying to be a know it all and the band youre using as an example plays dad rock
    Hahaha. Great.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I wasn't there but I don't remember reading the setlists and being very OMG in MSG...

Personally I thought the setlists the first 3-4 shows in Florida seemed great and full of rarities. Then it seemed like they kinda took it easy for a while, like the OP said, lots of old hits. The night in Philly when they DIDN'T play Ten, they played like 70% of it. Then came back the next night and played the whole thing. Personally I would be a lot more impressed with a show where they only played 2-3 songs off Ten than the majority of it. I would love to see a more balanced show with songs from every album instead of the main chunk of it first 3 albums. I get what you're saying OP.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817

I wasn't there but I don't remember reading the setlists and being very OMG in MSG...

Personally I thought the setlists the first 3-4 shows in Florida seemed great and full of rarities. Then it seemed like they kinda took it easy for a while, like the OP said, lots of old hits. The night in Philly when they DIDN'T play Ten, they played like 70% of it. Then came back the next night and played the whole thing. Personally I would be a lot more impressed with a show where they only played 2-3 songs off Ten than the majority of it. I would love to see a more balanced show with songs from every album instead of the main chunk of it first 3 albums. I get what you're saying OP.

Then listen to shows from 2003. It's quite obvious EV goes through different moods and phases with setlists. Remember when Why Go was a rarity? He's feeling Ten right now. What's the problem?
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454

But that's not mailing it in. That's a preference about the set list. Mailing it in implies a lack of effort. And if there is one thing this band does it's provide maximum effort at every show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    "Pure stoke" is how Jeff refers to it.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    I enjoyed both nights, but I think Ed's been feeling 10 since 2006 - I remember Copenhagen 2007 being the first time I thought, wow that was a lot of 10. And I was pretty happy with it.

I get the OP's point - there are different tracks on Yield to DTE , GTF (we did get In Hiding night 1) etc - and also I love to hear tracks from the Binaural and Riot Act. Being my first visit to the US I was hoping for an "epic" show... I felt a bit like that on the night but there were also loads of highlights...

But in the end, every show is a seperate event with a balance being created for everyone.

If I had to hope for one song (which I thought was a nail on certainty - and was always my favourite song from 10) over the 2 nights it was Garden - which I've only ever seen (now) once in 26 shows....

Super couple of shows - I doubt I will ever make it back to the Garden but I feel lucky, privileged and spoilt to have been there at all.
    I saw a band giving it everything from where I was sitting, and an Arena full of smiling faces!!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    It is the 25th anniversary of Ten. Just sayin.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    What did the Phish fans say when they ran out of drugs?
    "Damn, this music sucks".
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Bdog10 said:

nycrats said:

Bdog10 said:

nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

Please stop talkng about Phish.

amen
    We're making a Phish thread in the "Other Music" section. Chill down.

One thing I find really funny about PJ fans is that if you don't say "Great show" after every show then you must hate Pearl Jam. Shows how little PJ fans value the music.
    1. thats not true. people definitely will debate and be objective, however must shows are indeed great.
    2. stop being such a phish fan saying stuff like "pj fans dont really value music" - your band is a shell of what it was in the mid 90s.. youre trying to be a know it all and the band youre using as an example plays dad rock
    With all due respect, you're out of your mind. Starting to think your just a troll now

its hard to use phish in 2016 as the barometer for the pinnacle of rock musicianship. blanket statements like i like phish, pearl jam fans dont get music are equally absurd as the trolling you think i am doing. if were going to compare the two bands, then compare 2016 versions, instead of thinking its 1997. you have to admit phish isnt close to their old self. that is not a troll, that is a fact.

anyway i noticed that other guy didnt start his phish thread in "other music"- probably because it wont get the clicks this thread does as phish fans tend to be best at shitting on others music ..

You sound angry Brahh... What's the matter, too many bad hits of L on the lot in the 90's. You're proving my point more and more minute by minute. Just another sensitive PJ fan who can't call a spade a spade!

As regards to Phish, the crew I hang out with who has been with them since the early 90's couldn't disagree with you more. Magna was insane and the music was first class. Sorry you're spun out mind can't regonize that anymore

yeah you got me. thats exactly it, i sitll think im a glass of oj. you nailed it. lol

anyway i didnt ever say you couldnt be critical of pj (and for the record the thread were in says they mailed it in on 5/2- they did not mail it in) but to say the only people that have true music opinions are phish fans is a bit laughable-not exactly what you said but its kinda the sentiment from some here. we agree on some stuff, disagree on others. there were indeed some good shows in '15 but lets see how this summer goes without trey devoting himself back to practicing, hope you get that sick caspian>20yl>winterquwwn>wading tho..
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Some pretty upset people here when others don't have the same exact taste/thoughts as them
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I only get upset when you crowd me bro. Step off.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,641
    Ten is such a damn good record that everyone forgets. You could put that album on for anyone and not have to explain a thing about whats going on or why this track is here or there. If they never blew up the nerds at pitchfork would be writing essays on it monthly spilling their extra foam cappuccinos on their laptop keybords everytime Master Slave gives way to Once.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

If they never blew up the nerds at pitchfork would be writing essays on it monthly spilling their extra foam cappuccinos on their laptop keybords .

I almost spilled my black coffee on my keyboard when reading this.

Quite funny. Well done.

Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    on2legs said:

But that's not mailing it in. That's a preference about the set list. Mailing it in implies a lack of effort. And if there is one thing this band does it's provide maximum effort at every show.
    ding ding.
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    dkast85 said:

I'm glad this thread turned into a terrible Phish discussion bc this topic was bad anyway.

There was nothing terrible about either discussion.
    I agree, I love every comment here...been debating for years w/friends about PJ music and Phish fans and vise versa (have a handful of friends that have seen like, over 150 shows or some shit)... I am a way bigger PJ fan than Phish, that being said, I make sure I go to Phish every time they are in Philly. They are completely different shows, experiences, and fans and lot scene etc...I will never miss a Phish show in philly.
    Also, have been debating the whole, "PJ plays a different set every night" for years. I have been to like, 35 shows and I swear, i have heard DTE 35 times, Evenflow 32, etc etc...whatever i accept it, because w/o a band like PJ to grow up lsitening to who knows, maybe I would have started following foo fighters or someone shitty like that...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    Everyone thinks that the philly shows were the greatest thing since sliced bread and they had 12 repeats.
    seven songs from ten, corduroy, dte, gtf, rvm and mym.
    that's worse than nyc!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Joke of a concept. You can be critical of the setlist and say you wished you saw other songs but this band was energetic throughout and 'mailing it in' is a joke of a term to apply here.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Joke of a concept. You can be critical of the setlist and say you wished you saw other songs but this band was energetic throughout and 'mailing it in' is a joke of a term to apply here.

Yea, they definitely did not "mail it in". A better phrase may be (dare I say), Jump the Shark??
    I feel like PJ is more popular than ever right now and they may be feeling the pressure to "play the hits". It has to be a weird position the band is in to be at the height of their popularity (i really feel like they are right now, even 1993) at this stage of their career.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    mcgruff10 said:

Everyone thinks that the philly shows were the greatest thing since sliced bread and they had 12 repeats.
    seven songs from ten, corduroy, dte, gtf, rvm and mym.
    that's worse than nyc!!!

I was disappointed night one was so "Ten heavy" when they turned around and did Ten front to back the next night, but the flip side to that is: I got to hear them do Ten front to back, so I'm not complaining.

I was also disappointed we only got a single song from No Code each night.

However with nuggets like All or None, Picture in a Frame and Bee Girl amongst others, I won't complain about the song selection from that 2 night stand (not too mention a heart wrenching LBC dedicated to Joshua...... if you were there, you know what I mean).

I am in the camp that thinks the set lists feel more predictable than in the past (extended RVM and / or extended Porch to end sets, DTE, MYM, GTF Evenflow, all but guaranteed any given night.)

And if I never heard them cover Rockin' in the Free World again, I wouldn't complain about that either. (but it has its benefits too, when they start playing that tune, I head for the exits so, it's all good)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    KP_McMinn said:

Yea, they definitely did not "mail it in". A better phrase may be (dare I say), Jump the Shark??
    I feel like PJ is more popular than ever right now and they may be feeling the pressure to "play the hits". It has to be a weird position the band is in to be at the height of their popularity (i really feel like they are right now, even 1993) at this stage of their career.
    This is empirically incorrect, unless you were born in like 2010.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    jimc3 said:

What I will say is that, personally, I'm sort of over going to shows really hoping to hear a sloppy ill-conceived version of some fucked-up B-side.

See that's not fair either though. Sometimes, Insignificance, Grievance, Unemployable and Force of Nature aren't "fucked up B-sides". They are top tier PJ originals. None played in 2016 so far.
    Fair enough. I love a lot of those songs you mentioned. I also understand the band can't prepare to play every single song it knows for every tour. Some things just get left on the shelf.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

KP_McMinn said:

KP_McMinn said:

yea, I disagree bud, respectfully. they are, and have been one of the most prolific touring / highest grossing bands in the past 15 years...yea, maybe they didnt sell a million records in a week, but there is now a whole other younger generation interested in them. They are as popular, if not more popular today as they were in the mid 90's.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    KP_McMinn said:

KP_McMinn said:

KP_McMinn said:

yea, I disagree bud, respectfully. they are, and have been one of the most prolific touring / highest grossing bands in the past 15 years...yea, maybe they didnt sell a million records in a week, but there is now a whole other younger generation interested in them. They are as popular, if not more popular today as they were in the mid 90's.
    There is no way in hell that they are as close to their popularity in the 90s. Also the vast majority of fans at the shows are probably 35 and up; there aren't too many "kids" in their 20s going to see pearl jam.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    I think they are more popular than they were 10-12 years ago (when many asked -- Wait, Pearl Jam is still around?) but I agree with mcgruff10 -- just no way that they are as popular as they were in mid 90s. They were one of the most popular bands in the world then. Not close now -- although for our age group and they remain very popular and there are lots of younger kids that love them, which is great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    do Springsteen fans complain that Badlands, Thunder Road, Born to Run and Rosalita are played every show? Look at this tours set lists. those 4 are played pretty much every night - and Bruce and the E Street Band have an even larger catalog of songs and is probably still the greatest rock show on earth. get over it already. PJ is gonna play songs from Ten and VS. every night.
  • Options
    It surprises me that phrases such as, "empirically incorrect" and "no way in hell" that PJ may be just as, if not more popular now, than they were in the 90's?? Again, if you look back, and really think about it, they were only really SUPER popular for a short time (3-4 years). 96 no code, a lot of fans became uninterested and went another direction (not me) that is a fact (check record sales). Moreover, they just sold out PHILLY 2 nights, MSG 2 nights, Wrigley and Fenway 2 nights each, in like 4 minutes, correct? You cannot sit there with a straight face and say that PJ is not just as, if not more popular now, then the mid to late 90's.
    Further to your point of, "kids in their 20's aren't going to see PJ". Where did you find that statistic? Was that just an observation from the shows you just went to? From the 3 shows i just saw, there were plenty of the younger generation.
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    Wow. I think that's a bit of a snobby post by the OP. They are not there for you personally. They don't owe you an "all B-Sides" show. Of course they will play a lot of the hits. You have to remember that probably half the venue at any given show is seeing them for the first time. Think of how many newer fans they would alienate if they catered to the few fan club memebrs who have seen them 50+ times. Just be thankful you can see them that many times live.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

do Springsteen fans complain that Badlands, Thunder Road, Born to Run and Rosalita are played every show? Look at this tours set lists. those 4 are played pretty much every night - and Bruce and the E Street Band have an even larger catalog of songs and is probably still the greatest rock show on earth. get over it already. PJ is gonna play songs from Ten and VS. every night.

Exactly. Why do you think he still does this? Because he knows that there is a whole other demographic of younger people (hs, college and mid 20's something) that this is the first time seeing him, and they have never heard those songs yet. I think PJ is is the same position....
    which really i dont care...i love going to see them, and will always go and see them.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    edited May 2016
    I feel like im beating a dead horse...but Phish? Come on! This is a bullshit comparison and i can't believe it keeps getting brought up. It's completely different for a band like Phish to mix up sets than a band like PJ. Phish is an improv jam band. They can play whatever they feel like. Pearl Jam has to have songs rehearsed for maximum execution, which is why they play around with a pretty specific batch of songs for each tour. A pretty large and impressive one at that. Im in the camp that is critical of the band for excessive repeats for a two night stand. It's just not necessary, and they are capable of no repeats. But judging the tours as a whole and pointing out the predictability of the sets...and acting like this is a 2016 thing for Pearl Jam? Well if you think that, you are suffering from amnesia. This has been the standard throughout their career. In 2008 i saw 5 shows and hard to imagine was the opener for 3 of them. 2006, severed hand led into corduroy for the majority of shows. 2003 they didnt play garden, and save you was almost always in the 2nd or 3rd slot, and crazy mary was played at the majority of shows. 2005 was heavy on lost dogs. People have been complaining about even flow at every show for as long as i can remember. I still love seeing it. This has always been the standard for Pearl Jam shows. They mix up a large batch of songs for each tour, and if you're lucky (assuming this is your thing)- they'll throw in a rare nugget or two to set the show apart.

But yes...for multiple night stands, i would urge the band to attempt no repeats. It would be appreciated, and they have plenty of 'hits' to spread out.
    Post edited by Lifted on