Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited May 2016

I don't understand people who research set lists. That's obsessive in a way I do not wish to be. My friends make fun of me for flying away to one or two shows per tour. I tell them that there are fans way wackier than I am but they don't believe me. This thread is my evidence.

I guess I am obsessive, but I feel fine.;-) I try to rate every single song from every bootleg trying to find the best versions of every song. But then the work is not over. I like to make compilations of those best versions and make it so that it seems that they are one gig. Yes I think it is reasonable to say Pearl Jam is a bit of an obsession.

But my friends don't have a problem with it. In fact some profit from it. Other think it's typical of who I am, if I do something I go all the way.

Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    that is why you have to go to more than one show
    you never know what you are going to get
    the surrender with the guys from cheap trick was probably the highlight of the three shows i saw
    listening to eddie sing for close to three hours, all I could think to my self is how does he do it night in and night out
    it is one things to say you did not like the setlist, but it is totally false to say the band mailed it in, they left it all on stage Monday night
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Suziemay said:

No question that MSG2 wasn't the setlist of my dreams (damn you Quebec City :lol:) but I would not have traded the shows for the world. MSG2 gave us the ultimate fan moment, the stuff we all dream about. It was the culmination of so many years of being a loyal fan and even though it did not happen to me, the moment was still every bit as glorious. I tear up with joy every time I look at this picture. I'm sure most of you have already seen it but I'm going to post it again. Because I can and because every Pearl Jam fan needs to see it.

That is a great picture. Is there a story behind it?
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    She's the person who started the Breath campaign in 1998. This was her 150th show or something like that.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077

ceska said:

Outside of one-off's like the "Boston Experiment," when have their multi-night stands been 100% different?

Well I was at both Amsterdam shows in 2012 and they only had The Fixer and Corduroy on both nights. But I don´t use that as the standard. Still it was pretty sweet.
    That was the tour where a fan wrote one of the setlists. So that's another one of those "one-offs." You're right that it wouldn't be typical.
  • Options
    Yup that lucky bastard got to write the setlist. I am still waiting for my turn.
    I guess you are right the fact that Ed didn't write both probable has something to do with there being so little repeats.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Bdog10 said:

nycrats said:

Ugh phish fans are so annoying. They don't know the difference between a rock band and a jam band.

Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

seanwon said:

Bdog10 said:

Phish and Widespread Panic go on 4 night runs with not one single repeat. I'm so tired of hearing that argument "no other band". You are just simply wrong my friend! I've seen Phish 45 times in the past 5 years...including most of their MSG shows, and they sure as hell have more than 54% unique songs.

Right, but the downside is that you are listening to Phish......and Widespread Panic....

LOL!
    Tell that to the 20+ sold out MSG shows in the past 5 years!
    Phish has become very stale and very predictable, and I've probably seen more shows than you(not to measure dicks here but I'm not just the typical "phish sucks" guy) Sure you'll get different shows with no repeats on runs but it's become very formulaic. One show out of 10 has "it" and the rest is all the same motions with all the same jams. Again the difference is phish is a jamband with zero hits and pearl jam is a rock band with a ton of hits. Big difference. Trey is still pretty good at what he does but if pearl jam were playing at 2/3 the level as they were in the mid 90s people would have stopped packing arenas a long time ago. Trey can get away with it because they're still the best jamband around, but you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at jam bands vs rock and roll bands. Have you ever seen trey break a sweat? Tell me again Eddie mailed it in and didn't give 100 percent. Jambands don't have a lot of vocals nor do they need to worry about their voice like EV does busting his ass for 3 hours straight. I get we all wanted some of Quebec city's set at msg2 but considering each msg night was a harder ticket than any phish nye I can see why they didn't stray as much each night and once you get past those 10 or so repeats for us diehards, the other 20 had some gems and some scorchers. I'll take msg2 any day over getting the dwd night and another first set of moma funky bitch sugar shack. Yawn. As long as you are comparing the two, tell what are the pearl jam equivalents of let me lie, winterqueen, the line and yarmouth road? Sure potentially one out every few shows those could be played interestingly but mostly they just suck. Phish has a lot more songs but a lot more sucky songs too, and they use them to fill 4 nights at msg w no repeats. And 90pct of first sets are throwaways. That's half the show. I can think of 1 or 2 3.0 msg first sets that felt remotely like the energy and excitement of the first half of 5/2.

Rant over, can't we all get along blah blah, but pj did not mail it in msg2. I think if anything they fell victim to expectations, they knew a lot of people couldn't make both nights, they wanted everyone to be able to be in on the ten @ 25 party and probably played to the NYC vip crowd a bit if they had all these famous people falling over themselves to come.

I never said PJ mailed it in...that was the OP. So you might want to pay attention a little more. And please keep your dick in your pants...Thanks. My biggest gripe is the repeats. PJ has the potential and talent to go back to back shows without a repeat, but they choose not to and that annoys me. Considering that probably most of the crowd was there the night before...thats just my take...obviously a lot of people around here feel differently.

So if you hate Phish so much...why do you go to so many shows? Doesn't really make sense. And yes I agree with you they are two completely different bands and it is comparing oranges to apples. I only brought them up because I'm tired of PJ fans constantly saying "no other band mixes up their setlist's more than PJ". I mean that just simply laughable. I have some phish friends that like PJ, and some who think that they absolutely blow. They can't stand the sing alongs and think that they are a lazy band (not energy, but song selection...hence second encore). Phish takes risks, and yes some shows are not as good as the "it" shows. But at least the fans realize that and don't lap everything up like the PJ fans do. Now that's annoying!

I just want to finish up by saying that I'm a huge PJ fan, and they changed my life back in 92 when I was a senior in high school. I know it sounds like I'm shitting on them but they are still #1 in my heart. I'm just frustrated by the repeats because like I said before they have the potential and catalog to do so. As much as I love Corduroy, I could do without it on the second night of a run. I'd rather hear another kick ass tune like hail, hail or WWS in that slot. Make sense?

Yes your last question definitely makes sense. I agree it's sometimes hard to replicate the emotion you felt from a corduroy you heard 24 hours prior, but that usually only lasts about 10 seconds for me because it's such an awesome song. I hear ya but I tend to get over it quickly. Whereas too many phish shows lately I'm bummed the whole night because it's just weak the throug out, you have to really strain to get to any highlights (1/1/15 and 1/1/16 come to mind). So to answer your question after 20 plus years with phish my shows are way down, to the point of semi retired.

I mention rock vs jam bands bc most rock bands, even great ones play a stock set, and few if any even have as big hits as pj. In that regard pj mixes it up the most night to night(well mmj is a good argument for same city runs as they wont repeat, but take 2 one off city shows for mmj and pj and pj will stray a little more from the norm, meaning Tulsa's mmj show won't be that different from detroits if they only play each city once) So yes a jamband is gonna win the setlist argument every time. Just seems a lot of the complainers on here have a phish handle, so apols for mixing you up with the op. I like a healthy discussion and opinions can differ, and yes I wanted something different at times at msg. But everyone I know that could only attend one was floored, and I felt lucky to do both.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Also mmj do not have anywhere near the amount of or the scope of hits that pj does so it's easier to them to differ it completely in same city runs.
  • Options
    nycrats said:

Yes your last question definitely makes sense. I agree it's sometimes hard to replicate the emotion you felt from a corduroy you heard 24 hours prior, but that usually only lasts about 10 seconds for me because it's such an awesome song.

I have that same thing with Black and Better man no matter if they are repeats or not. It's just 10 seconds or so that I am like shit this could have been the spot for so and so, after that I get into the song anyway.
    I guess that is what alot of people have that with Even flow, which on it's turn is never a problem for me.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Ya know I do agree with the op to a point. I felt at msg 2 the band sounded and looked visibly tired (probably from the night before). Ed's voice was definitely not the best. There was a ton of tech issues. Corduroy opening was a disappointment and then having mind your manners in the same exact damn spot sucked! I'm not a cheap trick fan or a sting fan so that wasn't a big deal for me. It seemed like every request made on these boards was played by the band so I was definitely bummed when parting ways and moth were not in the set.

Having said that, I must also that: 1. I was tired as hell. 2. I sat in the 200's. This will be the last time I don't sit in a 10c section. There is definitely a tangible difference between the two. 3. Did I mention I was tired as fuck. How do they guys play three hours a night? 4. The prior night I was with my wife, tonight I was with a friend. Yeah I'm sappy but I missed my wife standing next to me.
    5. No lie after three shows all sitting on Mike's side my left ear was literally shot. There were points during the show when I could barely hear the crowd at all.

So having thought about all this after a week maybe the show was better than I thought. All I know is it wasn't as bad as Hershey 2003. See everyone at Fenway!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

4. The prior night I was with my wife, tonight I was with a friend. Yeah I'm sappy but I missed my wife standing next to me.

Ah, that is sweet. Love. Still crazy after all these years.
    Not a very nice conclusion for your friend hahaha.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99
    nycrats said:

Ugh phish fans are so annoying. They don't know the difference between a rock band and a jam band.

Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

seanwon said:

Bdog10 said:

Phish and Widespread Panic go on 4 night runs with not one single repeat. I'm so tired of hearing that argument "no other band". You are just simply wrong my friend! I've seen Phish 45 times in the past 5 years...including most of their MSG shows, and they sure as hell have more than 54% unique songs.

Right, but the downside is that you are listening to Phish......and Widespread Panic....

LOL!
    Tell that to the 20+ sold out MSG shows in the past 5 years!
    Phish has become very stale and very predictable, and I've probably seen more shows than you(not to measure dicks here but I'm not just the typical "phish sucks" guy) Sure you'll get different shows with no repeats on runs but it's become very formulaic. One show out of 10 has "it" and the rest is all the same motions with all the same jams. Again the difference is phish is a jamband with zero hits and pearl jam is a rock band with a ton of hits. Big difference. Trey is still pretty good at what he does but if pearl jam were playing at 2/3 the level as they were in the mid 90s people would have stopped packing arenas a long time ago. Trey can get away with it because they're still the best jamband around, but you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at jam bands vs rock and roll bands. Have you ever seen trey break a sweat? Tell me again Eddie mailed it in and didn't give 100 percent. Jambands don't have a lot of vocals nor do they need to worry about their voice like EV does busting his ass for 3 hours straight. I get we all wanted some of Quebec city's set at msg2 but considering each msg night was a harder ticket than any phish nye I can see why they didn't stray as much each night and once you get past those 10 or so repeats for us diehards, the other 20 had some gems and some scorchers. I'll take msg2 any day over getting the dwd night and another first set of moma funky bitch sugar shack. Yawn. As long as you are comparing the two, tell what are the pearl jam equivalents of let me lie, winterqueen, the line and yarmouth road? Sure potentially one out every few shows those could be played interestingly but mostly they just suck. Phish has a lot more songs but a lot more sucky songs too, and they use them to fill 4 nights at msg w no repeats. And 90pct of first sets are throwaways. That's half the show. I can think of 1 or 2 3.0 msg first sets that felt remotely like the energy and excitement of the first half of 5/2.

Rant over, can't we all get along blah blah, but pj did not mail it in msg2. I think if anything they fell victim to expectations, they knew a lot of people couldn't make both nights, they wanted everyone to be able to be in on the ten @ 25 party and probably played to the NYC vip crowd a bit if they had all these famous people falling over themselves to come.
    Reading through this thread. Pretty fun. Just want to correct you on one thing though. PJ MSg was not even close to as hard to get as Phish MSG. Those NYE tickets were near impossible to get. The other three nights had similar demand to PJ at MSG (115 cheapest on SH). But other than that. I also sort of disagree that Phish shows are stale. But that's pure opinion so that isn't worth arguing. Different strokes!

Are you hitting up any Ph shows this summer?
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    @Bdog10 i agree with you that it's laughable when PJ fans say no other bands mix up their sets like PJ. That is so false it's insane. Even DMB, a band that is made fun of like mad around these parts, would not repeat a song on a two night run. And obviously PJ repeats more songs than Phish but that's not really fair. Phish's catalogue is literally endless and they have been around a lot longer. So it's very different. PJ is a rock band. Phish is forced to craft a different show each night. The thing PJ fans don't get about that is that means a lot more than "THEY PLAYED______." You can look at PJ setlist and tell how good a show it was/wasn't. Looking at phish setlist tells you very little. What phish did on 10/31/14 is something so original i literally don't think any band could come close to that.
    @DaveKast
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    dkast85 said:

@Bdog10 i agree with you that it's laughable when PJ fans say no other bands mix up their sets like PJ. That is so false it's insane. Even DMB, a band that is made fun of like mad around these parts, would not repeat a song on a two night run. And obviously PJ repeats more songs than Phish but that's not really fair. Phish's catalogue is literally endless and they have been around a lot longer. So it's very different. PJ is a rock band. Phish is forced to craft a different show each night. The thing PJ fans don't get about that is that means a lot more than "THEY PLAYED______." You can look at PJ setlist and tell how good a show it was/wasn't. Looking at phish setlist tells you very little. What phish did on 10/31/14 is something so original i literally don't think any band could come close to that.

what did phish do on 10/31/14? I used to be a huge phish fan in the late 90's. billy breathes is in my top five albums of all time.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    mcgruff10 said:

dkast85 said:

what did phish do on 10/31/14? I used to be a huge phish fan in the late 90's. billy breathes is in my top five albums of all time.
    Las Vegas, MGM. I took this review from a phish site.
    The musical costume was a set of original, mostly instrumental music played with the sound effects and narration of the 1964 Disneyland album Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Prior to the start of Set II, the stage was cleared of all band equipment, and a graveyard set was brought out. At the start of the set, smoke filled the stage, and zombies appeared behind the gate. When the gate opened, a large haunted house with the band inside was brought to the front of the stage. The sound effects and narration were played on the PA, while an undead narrator would emerge from a crypt inscribed with "ESTHER" prior to each song for the introduction. At the end of The Fuse, the sides of the house came down while sounds of an explosion were heard, and the band was revealed inside, dressed in white tuxedoes and with zombie face paint. Several zombies came to the front of the stage and danced during Martian Monster. At the conclusion of the set, the band members came down from the Haunted House riser, slowly walked to the front of the stage, and took bows, along with the entire cast of zombies. All songs during the second set were debuts, with the titles taken from the first ten tracks of Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House.

The music was unreal good!! Funny I missed that show but was there the next two nights
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    dkast85 said:

I agree man. Somehow I'm secretary wishing that I could go on a 3 day PJ run with no repeats, but unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen.

"I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Damn phish that s one unique set list!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Ehh it was just page pushing a bunch of buttons about short trips and bird attacks ;)

So this thread has turned into a bit of pj vs phish but I think everyone will agree the biggest complaint will be if they wait another 6 years to play msg again! That's criminal
    Post edited by nycrats on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,828
    rollings said:

Suziemay said:

No question that MSG2 wasn't the setlist of my dreams (damn you Quebec City :lol:) but I would not have traded the shows for the world. MSG2 gave us the ultimate fan moment, the stuff we all dream about. It was the culmination of so many years of being a loyal fan and even though it did not happen to me, the moment was still every bit as glorious. I tear up with joy every time I look at this picture. I'm sure most of you have already seen it but I'm going to post it again. Because I can and because every Pearl Jam fan needs to see it.

That is a great picture. Is there a story behind it?
    Lately when I'm in a bad mood , I look at this picture. It always snaps me out if it.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,828
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ehh it was just page pushing a bunch of buttons about short trips and bird attacks ;)

So this thread has turned into a bit of pj vs phish but I think everyone will agree the biggest complaint will be if they wait another 6 years to play msg again! That's criminal
    I'm sure we can all get on board with that. Way too long in between.
  • Options
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol... Finally we agree on something. Depending on the speed of your rocket ship...You guys do know that Trey was at MSG on Sunday night right? I saw the pics of him in the lower bowl...I thought it was so cool. My two worlds colliding. Now if you only came out and shredded Evenflow with Mike. Is that too much to ask??

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited May 2016
    rollings said:

Suziemay said:

my2hands said:

I don't understand people who research set lists. That's obsessive in a way I do not wish to be. My friends make fun of me for flying away to one or two shows per tour. I tell them that there are fans way wackier than I am but they don't believe me. This thread is my evidence.

So it's cool to fly across the country to a rock concert but it's not cool to check out rock concert setlists?

Got it... lol
    It's okay to check out setlists as a curiosity. To research them as a measure of the concert experience is foreign to me. I can honestly say that when I go to a show, there might be one song I'd like to hear -- because I like the song and it fits my mood. But the day after the show, I could probably only name five songs I remember hearing. I have to check the setlist to see what songs I heard. In the moment, I'm so caught up, I'm not comparing my show to something else. That's my experience and I don't understand the importance of critiquing the band because of the songs they play. Maybe the problem isn't the band.
    It's more normal than you think. I'm an analytical person and while I don't research stats the way some others do, I appreciate that I have access to it (thank you PJ Stat Tracker!). It's fun to know how many times you've seen a song, or if you just saw one that's uber rare, or that you've "competed" and album. It's part of the experience for some people and frankly has zero impact on the people who don't care. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a problem.
    it's a problem if you are "hugely disappointed" in a concert based on it, in my opinion.

I'd suggest taking up a baseball instead of music if someone is that into statistics of the songs played, instead of paying attention to the quality and kickassness of the songs themselves.

That last show I saw, Evenflow kicked fucking rock balls like I never heard before. It's too bad somebody missed out on this simply because they recognized the song as "evenflow" and tuned it out, or went to piss or whatever.

I was not hugely disappointed, or even mildly disappointed. The only time I've ever left a Pearl Jam show disappointed was when I was in a pocket where the sound sucked, but that had nothing to with the band. I'm merely responding to the post that said researching stats was weird.

I don't understand why it's either or. I love being at a Pearl Jam show, it's my happy place and when I'm there there's no other place I'd rather be. I'm also interested in finding out how many times I've seen a certain song. Like I said if you don't understand that's cool. Doesn't mean it's a problem.

And I fucking hate baseball, don't ever suggest that I take that up instead :angry:
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    it would be pretty awesome if pj did msg for nye.. 3 shows in 4 days, start the rumor mill..
  • Options
    With al this talk about Phish on this threat I thought I would give it a listen.
    It's inviting at the very least. Not sure yet what to make of them, but the live footage I saw on youtube make me think I might have to order a bootleg from them next time I order on Nugs.
    What would be a good one? I saw them do both Purple rain and 1999 from Prince. I especially liked 1999. There is a commercial for a drink over here, it states that the drink is a bit weird, but tasty. I reckon that can be said about Phish.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options

With al this talk about Phish on this threat I thought I would give it a listen.
    It's inviting at the very least. Not sure yet what to make of them, but the live footage I saw on youtube make me think I might have to order a bootleg from them next time I order on Nugs.
    What would be a good one? I saw them do both Purple rain and 1999 from Prince. I especially liked 1999. There is a commercial for a drink over here, it states that the drink is a bit weird, but tasty. I reckon that can be said about Phish.

Wow that's a tricky question. The thing about Phish is that they're really hard to get. My first two shows (96 and 98) I didn't get it at all. I was so into PJ and the fact that they are completely 180% different was weird. But then something clicked and I finally got "it".

94 has some really fast machine gun material. Trey was just killing it

97 they slowed it down and played tons of funk (my personal favorite)

98 they continued with the funk and some say that this is the best year of phish. See the Island tour 4/2/98 - 4/5/98. Long Island and Rhode Island

Stay away from 2000, 2003, and 2004. Trey got really fucked up on H and Oxy's and the music suffered big time. They became very sloppy and this lead to their 5 year break up. There were a few gems during this time, but for the most part they were a mess.

They came back into 2009...Trey completely sober now. They kinda changed a bit and we're playing more tunes in a show and became less jammy. 09, 10, 11 were ok but kinda blah

2012 - present I personally feel like they are on fire. 8-31-12 was just heat...aka the fuck your face show. Just ridiculously good. This past summer they ripped at their own festival called Magnaball. 9 sets of just really good music. 8-21 to 8-23. You can't go wrong here.

You have plenty of options. Sorry for being so long.

• Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 729
    edited May 2016
    Can't disagree with you at all. The pair at MSG where my 4th & 5th this leg, 18th & 19th overall. I count myself as fortunate to have been there both shows. But with that said I agree there was too much overlap. He could've easily slipped in tracks from Binaural, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Avacado or No Code. Plenty of songs in their catalog that would allow them to continue the obvious flow Ed try's to put into each show. It's almost like he ignored those albums on purpose. Does someone in the crowd have to sellout or go all in for Ed to adjust his set list? For a band that takes pride in mixing it up, they sure have become quite predictable to an extent. I realize that you want good energy in the room but you don't have to play Porch, Even Flow, Elderly, etc...especially on back to back nights. Ed may have been to preoccupied pre/post show...
    Post edited by LukinAtU on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

dkast85 said:

Oh nice. BB is a great album. You know how Phish usually plays three sets on halloween and the middle set is traditionally an album? They call it the Halloween Costume set. (94: white album, 95: Quadrophenia, 96: Remain in Light, 98: Loaded, 09: Exile on Main St, 10: Waiting for Columbus). Anyway, they always give out a "Phishbill" of the album and that is how the audience finds out what Phish will be covering. When people walked in the PHishbill said "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House." Obviously nobody had heard of it. People did some research and found out it was a disney sound effects album from the 60's. Obviously people were pissed. "What the hell? Phish is playing three sold out nights in Vegas on Halloween weekend and they are giving us this??" Basically it was a big troll. They wrote original instrumental pieces to go with the names of the "songs" and performed them on top of a haunted house in the middle of the stage. It was an absolute marathon of a show. The show was like 4 hours of music. Two setbreaks. We were out of there at like 1:15. It was a special night of music and probably the most creative thing i've ever seen in my life.
    @DaveKast
  • Options
    Bdog10 said:

Wow that's a tricky question. The thing about Phish is that they're really hard to get. My first two shows (96 and 98) I didn't get it at all. I was so into PJ and the fact that they are completely 180% different was weird. But then something clicked and I finally got "it".

94 has some really fast machine gun material. Trey was just killing it

97 they slowed it down and played tons of funk (my personal favorite)

98 they continued with the funk and some say that this is the best year of phish. See the Island tour 4/2/98 - 4/5/98. Long Island and Rhode Island

Stay away from 2000, 2003, and 2004. Trey got really fucked up on H and Oxy's and the music suffered big time. They became very sloppy and this lead to their 5 year break up. There were a few gems during this time, but for the most part they were a mess.

They came back into 2009...Trey completely sober now. They kinda changed a bit and we're playing more tunes in a show and became less jammy. 09, 10, 11 were ok but kinda blah

2012 - present I personally feel like they are on fire. 8-31-12 was just heat...aka the fuck your face show. Just ridiculously good. This past summer they ripped at their own festival called Magnaball. 9 sets of just really good music. 8-21 to 8-23. You can't go wrong here.

You have plenty of options. Sorry for being so long.
    Pretty good post for a brief introduction of a band that I learn new things about every day (after listening to them for 7 years). The thing I love about Phish is the exact opposite thing I love about PJ. I adore how PJ has stayed true to their roots. They don't try to evolve or change their sound up. If you are a naked ear who doesn't know PJ, you can't hear a song written in 1992 vs a song written in 2006. They stay true to the sound that made them who they are. But Phish is the exact opposite. They are always changing up their sound. A year may pass and Phish will abandon something they once did. For example, 1998 Phish is ambient space grooves. 1997 is thick funk. 1994 is hard rocking shredding. 1995 is psychedelic hard rock. The sounds are always evolving. And yeah, i can't stand the sound of 03-04. Trey was ruined with OC's and the jams are not my style.

Phish is not an easy band to like and I hold nothing against people for not liking them.
    @DaveKast
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    LukinAtU said:

Can't disagree with you at all. The pair at MSG where my 4th & 5th this leg, 18th & 19th overall. I count myself as fortunate to have been there both shows. But with that said I agree there was too much overlap. He could've easily slipped in tracks from Binaural, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Avacado or No Code. Plenty of songs in their catalog that would allow them to continue the obvious flow Ed try's to put into each show. It's almost like he ignored those albums on purpose. Does someone in the crowd have to sellout or go all in for Ed to adjust his set list? For a band that takes pride in mixing it up, they sure have become quite predictable to an extent. I realize that you want good energy in the room but you don't have to play Porch, Even Flow, Elderly, etc...especially on back to back nights. Ed may have been to preoccupied pre/post show...

see the stats a few page ago. 1 or 2 extra songs basically. very little difference between this year and all other msg as far as song percentages.
  • Options
    predictable... :get_outta_here:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV