Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Suziemay said:

No question that MSG2 wasn't the setlist of my dreams (damn you Quebec City :lol:) but I would not have traded the shows for the world. MSG2 gave us the ultimate fan moment, the stuff we all dream about. It was the culmination of so many years of being a loyal fan and even though it did not happen to me, the moment was still every bit as glorious. I tear up with joy every time I look at this picture. I'm sure most of you have already seen it but I'm going to post it again. Because I can and because every Pearl Jam fan needs to see it.

I've seen the video but this is powerful. Wow.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited May 2016
    (I posted this in another thread)
    Since the set lists from the past msg shows have been heavily discussed I did some research on the prior 8 shows. I'm sure I messed up so let me know.

9/10/98 and 9/11/98 (in support of yield)
    9/10/98 23 songs 9/11/98 26 songs
    49 songs total 36 different songs
    13 repeats
    repeats: corduroy, brain of j, given to fly, animal, daughter, even flow, better man, do the evolution, alive, wishlist, rvm, hail hail, black,

7/8/03 and 7/9/03 (in support of Riot Act)
    night one: 30 songs night two: 30 songs
    60 original songs. 54 different songs
    six repeats
    repeats: save you, even flow, I am mine, do the evolution, crazy mary, yellow ledbetter

6/24/08 msg and 6/25/08 (no supporting album)
    night one: 30 songs night two: 29 songs
    59 total songs. 50 different songs total.
    9 repeats.
    repeated songs: why go, all night, corduroy, given to fly, who you are, even flow, do the evolution, no more, i believe in miracles, alive

5/20/10 and 5/21/10 (no supporting album)
    5/20/10: 33 songs 5/21/10: 34 songs
    67 songs total 60 different songs
    7 repeats.
    repeat songs: the fixer, unthought known, dte, the end, lukin (same lyrics different arrangement), just breathe, alive

2016: 10 repeats (i'll update this year later)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2hands said:

derbydave said:

derbydave said:

Lifted said:

I dont think MMJ or Wilco would play multiple nights at the same venue and do as many repeats as PJ just did...but then again, show to show, i think PJ plays a better variety than MMJ. So theres that...

Im in the camp that thinks PJ does a great job mixing up sets considering the type of band they are, but Im agreeing with people who say their set choices at msg this year were a failure even if the shows weren't.

I know it's off topic, but felt like this needed to be said...
    NO ONE mixes up their setlists better than My Morning Jacket...
    especially when they are doing more than one show in the same city!!
    MMJ did a 4 show run at The Beacon last year around Thanksgiving,
    and I'm pretty sure they didn't repeat a single song...
    and they were promoting a new album!!!
    There were also 3 back to back nights in Chicago without repeats.
    I saw multiple shows in Detroit, Columbus & Minneapolis last year,
    and they didn't repeat a single song!!

First I'll say MMJ is great. 2nd I'll say we all know Pearl Jam is a big influence on why MMJ mix it up the way they do so respect should be given to PJ for being one of their mentors. Lastly I'll say according to setlist.FM MMJ only has 4 shows so far in 2016 so lets look at 2015. MMJ had 83 shows and played 111 unique songs over that time. So far in 2016 Pearl Jam has 13 shows and has played 134 unique songs. Drops mic.
    I can say this with confidence...
    when you go to a MMJ show,
    you have absolutely no idea what songs will be played during their show,
    You can't really say that about a PJ show at this point in time!!
    Exactly. The unique song point above is great if you're talking about unique songs (and really if we're going here PJ has a larger album catalog to work with so that has to count for something). But we're talking about repeats on a stand. PJ still put on two amazing shows at MSG and there's nothing wrong with being a little disappointed with 11 repeats.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    mcgruff10 said:

Since the set lists from the past msg shows have been heavily discussed I did some research on the prior 8 shows. I'm sure I messed up so let me know.

13 repeats
    repeats: corduroy, brain of j, given to fly, animal, daughter, even flow, better man, do the evolution, alive, wishlist, rvm, hail hail, black,

54 original songs. 48 different songs
    six repeats
    repeats: save you, even flow, I am mine, do the evolution, crazy mary, yellow ledbetter

9 repeats.
    repeated songs: why go, all night, corduroy, given to fly, who you are, even flow, do the evolution, no more, i believe in miracles, alive

7 repeats.
    repeat songs: the fixer, unthought known, dte, the end, lukin (same lyrics different arrangement), just breathe, alive

so other than 2010 they played more songs this year but with more repeats so really no discernible differences.

to meet 2010 %s they would have needed to play 3 different songs over 2 nights or take 1 repeat off the set lists each night this year and not replace it. so yea not much of a difference to be honest.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    nicknyr15 said:

Bdog10 said:

mrpink90 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

"Flat out bored" if they were to substitute Satans Bed

derbydave said:

Lifted said:

I dont think MMJ or Wilco would play multiple nights at the same venue and do as many repeats as PJ just did...but then again, show to show, i think PJ plays a better variety than MMJ. So theres that...

Im in the camp that thinks PJ does a great job mixing up sets considering the type of band they are, but Im agreeing with people who say their set choices at msg this year were a failure even if the shows weren't.

I know it's off topic, but felt like this needed to be said...
    NO ONE mixes up their setlists better than My Morning Jacket...
    especially when they are doing more than one show in the same city!!
    MMJ did a 4 show run at The Beacon last year around Thanksgiving,
    and I'm pretty sure they didn't repeat a single song...
    and they were promoting a new album!!!
    There were also 3 back to back nights in Chicago without repeats.
    I saw multiple shows in Detroit, Columbus & Minneapolis last year,
    and they didn't repeat a single song!!

Wait, but no other band mixes up their setlist's better than PJ!!

"I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

seanwon said:

Bdog10 said:

Phish and Widespread Panic go on 4 night runs with not one single repeat. I'm so tired of hearing that argument "no other band". You are just simply wrong my friend! I've seen Phish 45 times in the past 5 years...including most of their MSG shows, and they sure as hell have more than 54% unique songs.

Right, but the downside is that you are listening to Phish......and Widespread Panic....

LOL!
    Tell that to the 20+ sold out MSG shows in the past 5 years!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    The fact that this thread is still going strong is proof that repeats is a huge sensitive subject with lots of PJ fans. Every show is not "epic"

• Options
    Bdog10 said:

The fact that this thread is still going strong is proof that repeats is a huge sensitive subject with lots of PJ fans. Every show is not "epic"

not "epic" to who?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I don't understand people who research set lists. That's obsessive in a way I do not wish to be. My friends make fun of me for flying away to one or two shows per tour. I tell them that there are fans way wackier than I am but they don't believe me. This thread is my evidence.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I don't understand people who research set lists. That's obsessive in a way I do not wish to be. My friends make fun of me for flying away to one or two shows per tour. I tell them that there are fans way wackier than I am but they don't believe me. This thread is my evidence.

So it's cool to fly across the country to a rock concert but it's not cool to check out rock concert setlists?

Got it... lol
  • Options

Bdog10 said:

not "epic" to who?
    Are you serious.... Is the thread moving too fast for you?

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    my2hands said:

So it's cool to fly across the country to a rock concert but it's not cool to check out rock concert setlists?

Got it... lol
    It's okay to check out setlists as a curiosity. To research them as a measure of the concert experience is foreign to me. I can honestly say that when I go to a show, there might be one song I'd like to hear -- because I like the song and it fits my mood. But the day after the show, I could probably only name five songs I remember hearing. I have to check the setlist to see what songs I heard. In the moment, I'm so caught up, I'm not comparing my show to something else. That's my experience and I don't understand the importance of critiquing the band because of the songs they play. Maybe the problem isn't the band.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510

my2hands said:

Got it... lol
    It's okay to check out setlists as a curiosity. To research them as a measure of the concert experience is foreign to me. I can honestly say that when I go to a show, there might be one song I'd like to hear -- because I like the song and it fits my mood. But the day after the show, I could probably only name five songs I remember hearing. I have to check the setlist to see what songs I heard. In the moment, I'm so caught up, I'm not comparing my show to something else. That's my experience and I don't understand the importance of critiquing the band because of the songs they play. Maybe the problem isn't the band.
    To each his own, but Pearl Jam has for a long time been regarded as a band that constantly changes up their setlists every night. It doesn't seem like this is the case in recent years. I get what you're saying about being caught up in the moment of the show, but with this band the 'strength of the setlist' has for many, been a huge part of the live experience.

The last few arena shows I've been to have all probably had 60-70% of the same songs. (Maybe I need to take a break for a couple of years, I'll gladly own up to the role I play in this).

It's been brought up (here or in another thread) that they are starting to feel like a nostalgia act, and I don't think that's an unfair assessment.

They're still the greatest live act out there, but IMO it's ok to compare setlists for this band.
  • Options

my2hands said:

Got it... lol
    To each his own, but Pearl Jam has for a long time been regarded as a band that constantly changes up their setlists every night. It doesn't seem like this is the case in recent years. I get what you're saying about being caught up in the moment of the show, but with this band the 'strength of the setlist' has for many, been a huge part of the live experience.

The last few arena shows I've been to have all probably had 60-70% of the same songs. (Maybe I need to take a break for a couple of years, I'll gladly own up to the role I play in this).

It's been brought up (here or in another thread) that they are starting to feel like a nostalgia act, and I don't think that's an unfair assessment.

They're still the greatest live act out there, but IMO it's ok to compare setlists for this band.
    Well said!

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    edited May 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

13 repeats

six repeats

9 repeats.

7 repeats.

Great info... Thanks for putting that together for us, Mike. Seems like people have unrealistic expectations and have a hard time appreciating the two amazing shows they put on at MSG. Mailed it in... LOL.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Ugh phish fans are so annoying. They don't know the difference between a rock band and a jam band.
    Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

seanwon said:

Bdog10 said:

Phish and Widespread Panic go on 4 night runs with not one single repeat. I'm so tired of hearing that argument "no other band". You are just simply wrong my friend! I've seen Phish 45 times in the past 5 years...including most of their MSG shows, and they sure as hell have more than 54% unique songs.

Right, but the downside is that you are listening to Phish......and Widespread Panic....

LOL!
    Phish has become very stale and very predictable, and I've probably seen more shows than you(not to measure dicks here but I'm not just the typical "phish sucks" guy) Sure you'll get different shows with no repeats on runs but it's become very formulaic. One show out of 10 has "it" and the rest is all the same motions with all the same jams. Again the difference is phish is a jamband with zero hits and pearl jam is a rock band with a ton of hits. Big difference. Trey is still pretty good at what he does but if pearl jam were playing at 2/3 the level as they were in the mid 90s people would have stopped packing arenas a long time ago. Trey can get away with it because they're still the best jamband around, but you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at jam bands vs rock and roll bands. Have you ever seen trey break a sweat? Tell me again Eddie mailed it in and didn't give 100 percent. Jambands don't have a lot of vocals nor do they need to worry about their voice like EV does busting his ass for 3 hours straight. I get we all wanted some of Quebec city's set at msg2 but considering each msg night was a harder ticket than any phish nye I can see why they didn't stray as much each night and once you get past those 10 or so repeats for us diehards, the other 20 had some gems and some scorchers. I'll take msg2 any day over getting the dwd night and another first set of moma funky bitch sugar shack. Yawn. As long as you are comparing the two, tell what are the pearl jam equivalents of let me lie, winterqueen, the line and yarmouth road? Sure potentially one out every few shows those could be played interestingly but mostly they just suck. Phish has a lot more songs but a lot more sucky songs too, and they use them to fill 4 nights at msg w no repeats. And 90pct of first sets are throwaways. That's half the show. I can think of 1 or 2 3.0 msg first sets that felt remotely like the energy and excitement of the first half of 5/2.

Rant over, can't we all get along blah blah, but pj did not mail it in msg2. I think if anything they fell victim to expectations, they knew a lot of people couldn't make both nights, they wanted everyone to be able to be in on the ten @ 25 party and probably played to the NYC vip crowd a bit if they had all these famous people falling over themselves to come.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

my2hands said:

Got it... lol
    It's more normal than you think. I'm an analytical person and while I don't research stats the way some others do, I appreciate that I have access to it (thank you PJ Stat Tracker!). It's fun to know how many times you've seen a song, or if you just saw one that's uber rare, or that you've "competed" and album. It's part of the experience for some people and frankly has zero impact on the people who don't care. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a problem.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.

it seems like everyone is expecting too much lately, i don't get it
    How was I expecting too much? They mailed this show in and played the greatest hits. What sets this group apart is that they, normally, do not do that.
    I can understand what you and others have been saying about MSG. On the other hand I also can't shake the thought that you (and others) are whining. Come on you haven't seen them for six years. It shouldn't really matter what setlist you get after six years.
    I also would love some No code, Binuaral, Riot act at the shows I attend. On the other hand the fact that they made this show about their first three albums makes this show different.
    I think All or none, Pendulum to Present tense is a beautifull section. Having Breath and State of love and trust back to back is just great. The man trilogy is nice to have and well I could never complain if I get Garden at a show, let along inside the Garden. And that's not even mentioning getting Driven to tears, with Sting no less.
    Seriously you should reconsider and ask yourself if you aren't being overly picky. Sure it's not a rarities packed show nor a show were all the albums get equal attention, but come on it's not like you were forced to listen to a concert of Justin Timberlake or something. Be happy you got to see them after six years.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Bdog10 said:

Bdog10 said:

not "epic" to who?
    Are you serious.... Is the thread moving too fast for you?
    are you implying that it is YOU who can define MY "epic"?

and go easy on the comments about intelligence...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

It literally took my five minutes to do as my son was sleeping on me. I guess I m kind of smart.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    This thread is out of control. Lol
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

mcgruff10 said:

13 repeats

six repeats

9 repeats.

7 repeats.

so other than 2010 they played more songs this year but with more repeats so really no discernible differences.

to meet 2010 %s they would have needed to play 3 different songs over 2 nights or take 1 repeat off the set lists each night this year and not replace it. so yea not much of a difference to be honest.
    exactly. the exception is 2003 (which I originally messed up but now have fixed my calculation). 60 original songs and only six repeats. so you had 54 original songs over a two night period. that my friend is pretty damn good.
  • Options
    2016 night 1: 34 songs night 2: 30 songs 64 songs total 11 repeats 53 different songs
  • Options
    so the final tally for the most to least diverse msg setlist are:

60 original songs. 54 different songs

5/1/16 and 5/2/16
    64 songs total 53 different songs

9/10/98 and 9/11/98:
  • Options
    nycrats said:

Ugh phish fans are so annoying. They don't know the difference between a rock band and a jam band.

Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

seanwon said:

Bdog10 said:

LOL!
    Phish has become very stale and very predictable, and I've probably seen more shows than you(not to measure dicks here but I'm not just the typical "phish sucks" guy) Sure you'll get different shows with no repeats on runs but it's become very formulaic. One show out of 10 has "it" and the rest is all the same motions with all the same jams. Again the difference is phish is a jamband with zero hits and pearl jam is a rock band with a ton of hits. Big difference. Trey is still pretty good at what he does but if pearl jam were playing at 2/3 the level as they were in the mid 90s people would have stopped packing arenas a long time ago. Trey can get away with it because they're still the best jamband around, but you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at jam bands vs rock and roll bands. Have you ever seen trey break a sweat? Tell me again Eddie mailed it in and didn't give 100 percent. Jambands don't have a lot of vocals nor do they need to worry about their voice like EV does busting his ass for 3 hours straight. I get we all wanted some of Quebec city's set at msg2 but considering each msg night was a harder ticket than any phish nye I can see why they didn't stray as much each night and once you get past those 10 or so repeats for us diehards, the other 20 had some gems and some scorchers. I'll take msg2 any day over getting the dwd night and another first set of moma funky bitch sugar shack. Yawn. As long as you are comparing the two, tell what are the pearl jam equivalents of let me lie, winterqueen, the line and yarmouth road? Sure potentially one out every few shows those could be played interestingly but mostly they just suck. Phish has a lot more songs but a lot more sucky songs too, and they use them to fill 4 nights at msg w no repeats. And 90pct of first sets are throwaways. That's half the show. I can think of 1 or 2 3.0 msg first sets that felt remotely like the energy and excitement of the first half of 5/2.

Rant over, can't we all get along blah blah, but pj did not mail it in msg2. I think if anything they fell victim to expectations, they knew a lot of people couldn't make both nights, they wanted everyone to be able to be in on the ten @ 25 party and probably played to the NYC vip crowd a bit if they had all these famous people falling over themselves to come.

I never said PJ mailed it in...that was the OP. So you might want to pay attention a little more. And please keep your dick in your pants...Thanks. My biggest gripe is the repeats. PJ has the potential and talent to go back to back shows without a repeat, but they choose not to and that annoys me. Considering that probably most of the crowd was there the night before...thats just my take...obviously a lot of people around here feel differently.

So if you hate Phish so much...why do you go to so many shows? Doesn't really make sense. And yes I agree with you they are two completely different bands and it is comparing oranges to apples. I only brought them up because I'm tired of PJ fans constantly saying "no other band mixes up their setlist's more than PJ". I mean that just simply laughable. I have some phish friends that like PJ, and some who think that they absolutely blow. They can't stand the sing alongs and think that they are a lazy band (not energy, but song selection...hence second encore). Phish takes risks, and yes some shows are not as good as the "it" shows. But at least the fans realize that and don't lap everything up like the PJ fans do. Now that's annoying!

I just want to finish up by saying that I'm a huge PJ fan, and they changed my life back in 92 when I was a senior in high school. I know it sounds like I'm shitting on them but they are still #1 in my heart. I'm just frustrated by the repeats because like I said before they have the potential and catalog to do so. As much as I love Corduroy, I could do without it on the second night of a run. I'd rather hear another kick ass tune like hail, hail or WWS in that slot. Make sense?

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I can honestly say, there is no place on earth that I would rather be than a Pearl Jam concert.

If your place in the venue is getting a direct hit from their speakers, it is pure bliss.

At one of the concerts I went to, they played Ten right through. If somebody had not mentioned this to me, I probably wouldn't have even recognized they were doing this. I was excited and lost in each song they played.

If I had to pay attention to what era or album each song came from or how big a hit each song was--instead of how awesome and emotional the song sounded at that moment--I would probably just stay home to tell you truth.

The only thing I am ever disappointed at at a concert, is if my seat is between the direct hit of the speakers....then the sound is muddled and not as crisp & clear; but then I just simply move to where it is.

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    edited May 2016

Outside of one-off's like the "Boston Experiment," when have their multi-night stands been 100% different? McGruff's post has made it clear these shows are right in line with what they've been doing all these years, in terms of mixing it up from night to night. 53 different songs over two nights is pretty damn impressive.
    Post edited by ceska on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    It seems that we all agree they didn't mail it in at this point, but there is a difference in satisfaction level based on the repeats. No one is going to change either of those opinions with facts or any other justifications because it's based on individual preference and what each of us find acceptable when it comes to a PJ concert.

Here's to the death of this thread and any other accusations of mailing it in!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Suziemay said:

my2hands said:

Got it... lol
    It's more normal than you think. I'm an analytical person and while I don't research stats the way some others do, I appreciate that I have access to it (thank you PJ Stat Tracker!). It's fun to know how many times you've seen a song, or if you just saw one that's uber rare, or that you've "competed" and album. It's part of the experience for some people and frankly has zero impact on the people who don't care. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a problem.
    it's a problem if you are "hugely disappointed" in a concert based on it, in my opinion.

I'd suggest taking up a baseball instead of music if someone is that into statistics of the songs played, instead of paying attention to the quality and kickassness of the songs themselves.

That last show I saw, Evenflow kicked fucking rock balls like I never heard before. It's too bad somebody missed out on this simply because they recognized the song as "evenflow" and tuned it out, or went to piss or whatever.

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    ceska said:

Outside of one-off's like the "Boston Experiment," when have their multi-night stands been 100% different?

Well I was at both Amsterdam shows in 2012 and they only had The Fixer and Corduroy on both nights. But I don´t use that as the standard. Still it was pretty sweet.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn