Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

I'm going to preface this by saying MSG2 was my first show in six years. Not because I love the band any less, but sometimes life gets in the way, and lots of things happen - before you know it, it's been six years. But I've also seen my fair share of shows - some spectacular shows (Borgata 2 in 05, my first show, followed by the Philly 05 show, the final two shows at the Spectrum) and some mediocre ones (Camden and Mansfield in 08).

Knowing what this band can do, having seen them many times on back to back nights, having seen them really dig into their catalogue, etc., I can honestly say last night's show was a huge disappointment.

I don't come to see Pearl Jam to hear their greatest hits, and I can safely say the majority of us don't come to hear a greatest hits album either, but that's what we basically got. 7 songs off of Ten, 7 covers, 4 from LB, 3 from Vs. and 3 from Vitalogy. 75% of the show was either their newest album, not their stuff, or written before 1995. I know that's how this band actually got popular, but the reason they developed a devout following was because of albums like No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act.

Yes, it was great to see All or None, great to see Present Tense, great to see Breath. But a few songs in a first encore a show does not make. And frankly, the encore wasn't spectacular even with those songs.

Think of shows like 10/3/05 in Philly - a first set that had Wash, Brain of J, Faithfull, Sad, Alone, and Green Disease in the first 10 songs alone.

It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment.

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "I just wanna say..."
    The only thing that gets in the way of life is death.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.

it seems like everyone is expecting too much lately, i don't get it
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    PhishinPearlsPhishinPearls NYC Posts: 60

How was I expecting too much? They mailed this show in and played the greatest hits. What sets this group apart is that they, normally, do not do that.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Perspective:
    MSG holds 18,000 not counting the floor.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Perspective:
    MSG holds 18,000 not counting the floor.

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for making that obvious.

I don't think there's anything wrong with healthy criticism. Why are they playing Lightning Bolt again in the second encore? MYM and Corduroy again in 2 of the first 3 songs? Why are they closing the 1st encore again with Porch?

Do I like these songs? Yes. Do they have a ton of other songs they can play in these slots that we all like? Yes. They chose not to play those songs. They chose not to do something different, and that's disappointing.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

How was I expecting too much? They mailed this show in and played the greatest hits. What sets this group apart is that they, normally, do not do that.
    I get this post and the original. However I also see everyone else's points. I saw Greenville (Vs.), Hampton and Columbia. Obviously Greenville was excellent. (Vs. plus lots of other really good songs: Breath, Let The Records Play, Comfortably Numb). Columbia was excellent also (Oceans to open, Infallible, Sleight of Hand, Chloe/Crown, etc) and Hampton which I considered to be a rather average set and the special songs (I am a Patriot, etc) were very "eh" versions.

Here's the heart of the matter I believe:
    - As hard core fans we can never get enough of the band live. While I LOVE the studio albums and tend to listen to them more than I do the live shows the band, as we know, simply comes alive (no pun intended) when they play live. The music lives & breathes during their shows. It gives life to the audience which in turn breathes life into the song & the band. It can rise & rise to incredibly powerful heights.

- As the years have gone by the band is touring less & less. This causes a lot of us to want/need to hear/see something special when they do come around. And if/when we get a show that we consider average (because we've seen a lot of the songs played live before or it feels like a "greatest hits" show we get frustrated. I know I do. (I had seen every song played at Hampton live previously..)

I can tell you that after a few weeks I hate the Hampton show a lot less. I simply file it away as another chance to see the Band live. To me I worry a little bit with every tour that it might be the last time we see them on the road as someday they will call it a career. So...for me...Hampton will become a good memory ultimately. I hope this is the case for the OP also as he looks back at Monday's MSG show.

I love this community. The passion for the music & the band is simply amazing...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Surrender w/ Cheap Trick
    Leatherman
    Save it for Later tag
    Garden
    Deep
    Leash
    All Or None
    Present Tense
    Breath/SOLAT back to back
    Driven to Tears w/ Sting
    Sonic Reducer

Hardly mailing it in! Once I invent the time machine, I'll gladly go back and trade places with ya, man!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Disagree. Sorry you feel that way. I had an amazing time!
  • Options

Surrender w/ Cheap Trick
    Leatherman
    Save it for Later tag
    Garden
    Deep
    Leash
    All Or None
    Present Tense
    Driven to Tears w/ Sting
    Sonic Reducer

Hardly mailing it in! Once I invent the time machine, I'll gladly go back and trade places with ya, man!

right? or did i miss something?
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

caught you rocking out on the rail, Stone side. pretty awesome show!
  • Options

Surrender w/ Cheap Trick
    Leatherman
    Save it for Later tag
    Garden
    Deep
    Leash
    All Or None
    Present Tense
    Driven to Tears w/ Sting
    Sonic Reducer

Leatherman - a bustout, nice to see.
    Save it for later tag - okay? It was nice.
    Garden - not played much, but again, off of Ten
    Deep - regular rotation this tour
    Leash - never have a problem with Leash
    All or None, Present Tense, Breath - yes, I said these were the highlights
    SOLAT - played all the time
    Driven to Tears w/ Sting and Sonic Reducer - cool, part of 5 covers at the end of the show. they have a huge catalogue. play some of it.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Suziemay said:

caught you rocking out on the rail, Stone side. pretty awesome show!
    I'm such a mess today, but sooooo worth it!!!! :rock_on::heart:
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    No mailing it in. Eddie was drenched head to toe 5 songs in
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited May 2016
    Not a Leatherman fan
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much, OP. To each their own; I would love to have been there! Better luck next show!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    edited May 2016
    when did people start to feel like this band owes them something in their set lists? the guys can play whatever the fuck they want. no matter what 30-35 songs this band plays in a night there are always going to be 20-25 that others would want to hear instead. stop worrying about what wasn't played and enjoy what was played. get the fuck over it already. it gets so annoying between the 9000 requests (yea everyone has issues in life and people die, stop burdening PJ and Ed with your problems...that's just my opinion on the requests) and posts like the OP here.

to the OP: do you go to a Rangers game and whine if Lundquist doesn't play? or a Mets game and Harvey doensn't pitch?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369

the Man trilogy in itself is such an awesome get.. would love to be at a show where they did this, that is right up there with hearing the mini opera - Footsteps, Alive and Once back to back to back IMO... anyways... 3 months from Thursday ..
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

when did people start to feel like this band owes them something in their set lists? the guys can play whatever the fuck they want. no matter what 30-35 songs this band plays in a night there are always going to be 20-25 that others would want to hear instead. stop worrying about what wasn't played and enjoy what was played. get the fuck over it already. it gets so annoying between the 9000 requests (yea everyone has issues in life and people die, stop burdening PJ and Ed with your problems...that's just my opinion on the requests) and posts like the OP here.

to the OP: do you go to a Rangers game and whine if Lundquist doesn't play? or a Mets game and Harvey doensn't pitch?

I don't think i whined. I think i gave an honest review of the show.

this is what I said: "It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment."

They indeed can play whatever they want. My point is in the past, they've done a much better job of mixing up their sets, and not playing much of the same stuff. There's nothing wrong with healthy critiques.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    edited May 2016
    MayDay10 said:

No mailing it in. Eddie was drenched head to toe 5 songs in

Absolutely, I agree!! There is a BIG difference between you saying they "mailed it in" and there not being enough rarities and B-sides for you.

Did they play a lot of similar or repeat songs from the night before?
    Maybe.....

Did they just go through the motions and wish they didn't have to play MSG on Monday?
    C'mon man.....
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    I don't think that someone commenting on bssically ignoring No Code through Avocado is saying the band owes them something
    There are soooo many excellent songs being missed here. Songs that cemented our dedication to the band, when alot of people were bailing.
    They have to play some hits for sure. Would just like a taste of the middle albums
    This is a healthy discussion, no need for everyone to get defensive
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    Some might argue that things like RITFW, Baba, Last Kiss, and Sonic Reducer are essentially Pearl jam songs at this point.
  • Options
    jdopj said:

I don't think that someone commenting on bssically ignoring No Code through Avocado is saying the band owes them something
    There are soooo many excellent songs being missed here. Songs that cemented our dedication to the band, when alot of people were bailing.
    They have to play some hits for sure. Would just like a taste of the middle albums

The term used "mailed it in" isn't a critique of the setlist, it is a direct attack and questioning of the band's resolve to put on a good show for their fans!!!

This is where the "healthy discussion" ends!!

Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211

pjhawks said:

this is what I said: "It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment."

They indeed can play whatever they want. My point is in the past, they've done a much better job of mixing up their sets, and not playing much of the same stuff. There's nothing wrong with healthy critiques.
    i don't think your original post came off as a healthy critique. you said you were disappointed and didn't come to hear the hits. to me that comes off as whiny. if i'm reading into that incorrectly then i apologize.

i also think the title of your thread is a direct insult to the guys in the band. Has PJ ever mailed in a show? i wasn't there but seeing some of the vids posted i don't see a band mailing it in at all. maybe they didn't play what you wanted in the set list but do honestly think the songs they played they didn't give it their all in their performances of those songs?. that would be mailing in a show not making a set list you don't agree with.
  • Options

jdopj said:

The term used "mailed it in" isn't a critique of the setlist, it is a direct attack and questioning of the band's resolve to put on a good show for their fans!!!

I am questioning the setlist, yes. I'm questioning the effort, yes. I think that's fair.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

i don't think your original post came off as a healthy critique. you said you were disappointed and didn't come to hear the hits. to me that comes off as whiny. if i'm reading into that incorrectly then i apologize.

i also think the title of your thread is a direct insult to the guys in the band. Has PJ ever mailed in a show? i wasn't there but seeing some of the vids posted i don't see a band mailing it in at all. maybe they didn't play what you wanted in the set list but do honestly think the songs they played they didn't give it their all in their performances of those songs?. that would be mailing in a show not making a set list you don't agree with.
    ^exactly

Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

The choice of songs is a direct correlation to the effort, in my opinion.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edited May 2016
    edit: others addressed my question. so i deleted my post.
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

jdopj said:

I agree. The title was bad, but the criticism was fine
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    edited May 2016
    This isn't some Oberlin safe space, people are allowed to post opinions and feelings about the shows that maybe different from yours and it's on you if it bothers you or you let it diminish your experience in any way. I really enjoyed night 2, even more than night 1, but that is my unique lived experience. Everyone is entitled to their own.