Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    Bdog10 said:

With al this talk about Phish on this threat I thought I would give it a listen.
    It's inviting at the very least. Not sure yet what to make of them, but the live footage I saw on youtube make me think I might have to order a bootleg from them next time I order on Nugs.
    What would be a good one? I saw them do both Purple rain and 1999 from Prince. I especially liked 1999. There is a commercial for a drink over here, it states that the drink is a bit weird, but tasty. I reckon that can be said about Phish.

Wow that's a tricky question. The thing about Phish is that they're really hard to get. My first two shows (96 and 98) I didn't get it at all. I was so into PJ and the fact that they are completely 180% different was weird. But then something clicked and I finally got "it".

94 has some really fast machine gun material. Trey was just killing it

97 they slowed it down and played tons of funk (my personal favorite)

98 they continued with the funk and some say that this is the best year of phish. See the Island tour 4/2/98 - 4/5/98. Long Island and Rhode Island

Stay away from 2000, 2003, and 2004. Trey got really fucked up on H and Oxy's and the music suffered big time. They became very sloppy and this lead to their 5 year break up. There were a few gems during this time, but for the most part they were a mess.

They came back into 2009...Trey completely sober now. They kinda changed a bit and we're playing more tunes in a show and became less jammy. 09, 10, 11 were ok but kinda blah

2012 - present I personally feel like they are on fire. 8-31-12 was just heat...aka the fuck your face show. Just ridiculously good. This past summer they ripped at their own festival called Magnaball. 9 sets of just really good music. 8-21 to 8-23. You can't go wrong here.

You have plenty of options. Sorry for being so long.
    Thanks for the info. So pre 2000 would be better. Are the Amsterdam boots any good?
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    dkast85 said:

Bdog10 said:

With al this talk about Phish on this threat I thought I would give it a listen.
    It's inviting at the very least. Not sure yet what to make of them, but the live footage I saw on youtube make me think I might have to order a bootleg from them next time I order on Nugs.
    What would be a good one? I saw them do both Purple rain and 1999 from Prince. I especially liked 1999. There is a commercial for a drink over here, it states that the drink is a bit weird, but tasty. I reckon that can be said about Phish.

Wow that's a tricky question. The thing about Phish is that they're really hard to get. My first two shows (96 and 98) I didn't get it at all. I was so into PJ and the fact that they are completely 180% different was weird. But then something clicked and I finally got "it".

98 they continued with the funk and some say that this is the best year of phish. See the Island tour 4/2/98 - 4/5/98. Long Island and Rhode Island

Stay away from 2000, 2003, and 2004. Trey got really fucked up on H and Oxy's and the music suffered big time. They became very sloppy and this lead to their 5 year break up. There were a few gems during this time, but for the most part they were a mess.

They came back into 2009...Trey completely sober now. They kinda changed a bit and we're playing more tunes in a show and became less jammy. 09, 10, 11 were ok but kinda blah

2012 - present I personally feel like they are on fire. 8-31-12 was just heat...aka the fuck your face show. Just ridiculously good. This past summer they ripped at their own festival called Magnaball. 9 sets of just really good music. 8-21 to 8-23. You can't go wrong here.

Pretty good post for a brief introduction of a band that I learn new things about every day (after listening to them for 7 years). The thing I love about Phish is the exact opposite thing I love about PJ. I adore how PJ has stayed true to their roots. They don't try to evolve or change their sound up. If you are a naked ear who doesn't know PJ, you can't hear a song written in 1992 vs a song written in 2006. They stay true to the sound that made them who they are. But Phish is the exact opposite. They are always changing up their sound. A year may pass and Phish will abandon something they once did. For example, 1998 Phish is ambient space grooves. 1997 is thick funk. 1994 is hard rocking shredding. 1995 is psychedelic hard rock. The sounds are always evolving. And yeah, i can't stand the sound of 03-04. Trey was ruined with OC's and the jams are not my style.

Phish is not an easy band to like and I hold nothing against people for not liking them.
    Wow...this is spot on! Well said dude!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options

Bdog10 said:

Thanks for the info. So pre 2000 would be better. Are the Amsterdam boots any good?
    Yes the Amsterdam boots are great. They don't have a big following overseas, so they were playing these small clubs and killing it.

If you want, go to livephish.com or get the app and you can get any boot you want for $10 a month. All soundboard. You can cancel at anytime
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99

Bdog10 said:

Amsterdam 97, Hampton-WS 97, NYE 1995, and Chicago 94. Those are pretty accessible mainstream releases and will give you a good understanding of how their sound isn't a singular thing. You can also go to phish.in to check out every show from their history and listen to it.
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Get the PhishOD app, basically access to every audience recording. Flip through different years to see style changes. PM me if have any questions or find a song you like, I can point you in direction of other songs like that one

Sharing in the groove
  • Options

Get the PhishOD app, basically access to every audience recording. Flip through different years to see style changes. PM me if have any questions or find a song you like, I can point you in direction of other songs like that one

Sharing in the groove

wait this is awesome there are so many PJ/Phish fans on here. Can someone start a Phish thread in the other music section on here? Everyone is welcome to share in the groove :)
    @DaveKast
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2016
    I would prefer to hear Corduroy or Mind Your Manners than to have Arms Aloft suck the momentum and energy out of the room.
    It's impossible to have it both ways.

Please stop talkng about Phish.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Tiki said:

I would prefer to hear Corduroy or Mind Your Manners than to have Arms Aloft suck the momentum and energy out of the room.

We're not asking for an Arms Aloft...I agree that song blows. Hail, hail, Animal, WWS, Brain of J, Faithfull, Save you, Not for you on the other hand do not, and will not suck the momentum out of the show!

• Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    Tiki said:

nobody is saying arms aloft or sweet lew or bugs. we're talking about great album songs that are getting ignored. if you saw both msg shows, for the 2nd nite would you rather hear mind your manners as the 2nd song or grievance? elderly woman or faithfull? corduroy or insignificance? do the evolution or not for you?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Song choices are completely subjective. Even Flow? Personally, I love it, and there are many who are over it. Got Some? I say bring it, but I know many who find all of Backspacer bad.

I'm tired of Sirens, but people love the sing along outro.

"Mailing it in", to me anyway, questions the effort and the sincerity of the performance. I'm not there, and judging from the 2 shows I saw on this go round from up close, I don't think they are either.

I'm an Arms Aloft guy, Ole, too, for that matter. They can play whatever they want.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Tiki said:

:lol:

amen
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

Tiki said:

amen
    We're making a Phish thread in the "Other Music" section. Chill down.

One thing I find really funny about PJ fans is that if you don't say "Great show" after every show then you must hate Pearl Jam. Shows how little PJ fans value the music.
    @DaveKast
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,828
    dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

One thing I find really funny about PJ fans is that if you don't say "Great show" after every show then you must hate Pearl Jam. Shows how little PJ fans value the music.
    You're bashing a whole fan base , based on a very select few. Go talk phish somewhere. I'm sure there are no phish fans like this lol. Every group has their share of snobby fans.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I've only been to 10 shows starting in 2010. I have crossed off all of Lightning Bolt and am Deep away from finishing Ten. I've seen Fatal twice and been to the Other Side. I've also seen Down 5 times for some reason, yet was just able to pick up Animal. I appreciate those opening twangs of Jeremy and the speed riff that begins Porch. I consider myself lucky to be there, and not living in the middle of a war zone somewhere.

If you aren't questioning their effort, (I don't think you are) then all that is left are the songs in their catalog.
    If you're think that Pearl Jam playing Last Kiss or EWBTCIAST is gonna eff up your nite out, you probably should stay home. I'm not sure what else you want from them.
  • Options
    dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

We can criticize our sports teams
    We can criticize movies
    We can criticize our president
    But God forbid you criticize Pearl Jam and the setlist's on this board then your considered an asshole. It's Ridiculous

• Options
    Bdog10 said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

We can criticize movies
    But God forbid you criticize Pearl Jam and the setlist's on this board then your considered an asshole. It's Ridiculous
    Lmao. Seriously? This mentality is insane. Does this really only happen on these boards? Passionate fans of ANY group will defend their band. Not disagreeing with you but I will disagree that this only happens here.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Bdog10 said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

We can criticize movies
    Lmao. Seriously? This mentality is insane. Does this really only happen on these boards? Passionate fans of ANY group will defend their band. Not disagreeing with you but I will disagree that this only happens here.
    I have to say that on all the boards I'm on, this one takes the cake. PJ fans are VERY sensitive around here!

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

I don't think people hate pearl jam... there is just kind of a diminishing returns dealie. After 24 shows I started to fall into it. The longer you go, the more shows you go to, the deeper you know the catalog... you grow a "tolerance", it's tougher to scratch the itch. When I first started, I loved hearing even flow and black. My pallette changed over the years. I try to go in with no expectations. I realized the bar has been set very, very high and every single show can't be the envy of the rest of the fanbase.... "ordinary" with a Pearl Jam show is pretty damn good. When I hear even flow or Jeremy now, I think of all the newcomers who know those tunes and will have lost dogs memorized in a few years.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,486
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

1. thats not true. people definitely will debate and be objective, however must shows are indeed great.
    2. stop being such a phish fan saying stuff like "pj fans dont really value music" - your band is a shell of what it was in the mid 90s.. youre trying to be a know it all and the band youre using as an example plays dad rock
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

I don't think people hate pearl jam... there is just kind of a diminishing returns dealie. After 24 shows I started to fall into it. The longer you go, the more shows you go to, the deeper you know the catalog... you grow a "tolerance", it's tougher to scratch the itch. When I first started, I loved hearing even flow and black. My pallette changed over the years. I try to go in with no expectations. I realized the bar has been set very, very high and every single show can't be the envy of the rest of the fanbase.... "ordinary" with a Pearl Jam show is pretty damn good. When I hear even flow or Jeremy now, I think of all the newcomers who know those tunes and will have lost dogs memorized in a few years.
    That's a good point... I respect that. I'm 45 shows in so I guess I'm just a jaded vet then?

I just feel PJ plays to the newcomer instead of fans more like myself. The newbie didn't get PJ where they are today. You know what I mean?

Please don't kill me...I'm just making my point.

• Options
    nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

1. thats not true. people definitely will debate and be objective, however must shows are indeed great.
    2. stop being such a phish fan saying stuff like "pj fans dont really value music" - your band is a shell of what it was in the mid 90s.. youre trying to be a know it all and the band youre using as an example plays dad rock
    Hahaha. Great.
  • Options
    nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

With all due respect, you're out of your mind. Starting to think your just a troll now

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Bdog10 said:

nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

With all due respect, you're out of your mind. Starting to think your just a troll now

its hard to use phish in 2016 as the barometer for the pinnacle of rock musicianship. blanket statements like i like phish, pearl jam fans dont get music are equally absurd as the trolling you think i am doing. if were going to compare the two bands, then compare 2016 versions, instead of thinking its 1997. you have to admit phish isnt close to their old self. that is not a troll, that is a fact.

anyway i noticed that other guy didnt start his phish thread in "other music"- probably because it wont get the clicks this thread does as phish fans tend to be best at shitting on others music ..

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nycrats said:

Bdog10 said:

nycrats said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

its hard to use phish in 2016 as the barometer for the pinnacle of rock musicianship. blanket statements like i like phish, pearl jam fans dont get music are equally absurd as the trolling you think i am doing. if were going to compare the two bands, then compare 2016 versions, instead of thinking its 1997. you have to admit phish isnt close to their old self. that is not a troll, that is a fact.

anyway i noticed that other guy didnt start his phish thread in "other music"- probably because it wont get the clicks this thread does as phish fans tend to be best at shitting on others music ..

You sound angry Brahh... What's the matter, too many bad hits of L on the lot in the 90's. You're proving my point more and more minute by minute. Just another sensitive PJ fan who can't call a spade a spade!

As regards to Phish, the crew I hang out with who has been with them since the early 90's couldn't disagree with you more. Magna was insane and the music was first class. Sorry you're spun out mind can't regonize that anymore

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Bdog10 said:

MayDay10 said:

dkast85 said:

Tiki said:

amen

That's a good point... I respect that. I'm 45 shows in so I guess I'm just a jaded vet then?

I just feel PJ plays to the newcomer instead of fans more like myself. The newbie didn't get PJ where they are today. You know what I mean?

Please don't kill me...I'm just making my point.
    I get it. I'm not upset. 45 shows is a lot. I wouldn't say it's jaded. Just you've seen almost everything they have to offer.

It's like hot sauce. I'm a fan. I have it as well as jalapeños multiple times a day. Now I can eat things and they taste sweet, meanwhile my wife and others think it is way too spicy... meanwhile, I have friends who scoff at me because I like the taste and heat level of the habanero. They have progressed even more and less hot sauce varieties on the shelves appeal to them... we all still love hot sauce though.

With pearl jam. They need to try to balance the setlists to please everyone. From "casual fans" who only remember tracks from rock radio... to 100 show vets. Then also factor in promotion of current material as well as the general skeletal framework in place for the shows (openers, where songs typically go, rvm and porch to end sets/encores, ev slow to start 1st encore, alive into the end of the show with a short list of closers, etc.) They also keep enough tucked under their hat to keep the regulars coming back and begging... Despite them changing it up, it can get repetitive.

I don't get upset with the band if I go to a show with mainly greatest hits. Luck of the draw. I dont think they mailed it in, went through the motions, were lazy, punished us, etc... just happened to be the set the wrote up that night.

I do understand a bit more the frustration of repeats in 2 show runs.... especially a magnet location like msg.
  • Options
    "BEST SHOW EVER BROS!"
    -Pearl Jam fans every single night.
    @DaveKast
  • Options
    For the record, I loved every PJ show i've ever seen. I've only seen them 7 times and first show was only in 2013. Only been a fan for 6 years. But I am just commenting on how little PJ fans care about the music. It is evident beyond the constant "Best show ever" comments. They yap more than any band i've ever seen during the show. They are on their phones more than any band fanbase i've ever seen. And they are more into merch than the music itself. I get liking merch. PJ merch is cool. I like collecting it myself. But it has gotten to the point where it seems like PJ fans are there to shop more than they are for the music.
    @DaveKast
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,196
    I'm glad this thread turned into a terrible Phish discussion bc this topic was bad anyway.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options

I'm glad this thread turned into a terrible Phish discussion bc this topic was bad anyway.

There was nothing terrible about either discussion.
    @DaveKast