Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911

Sure. Discuss away. I'll step out of this one. I will say I would've loved to be at both MSG shows and couldn't be more jealous of the Toronto set.

Personally I would have hated the toronto set as I am not a fan of binaural. yeah I really like grievance and parting ways but there's too many duds in there for me. If I had brought my wife to this show she would have been bored as hell and probably would not want to go to another show for a while. I'm guessing 75% of the audience had no clue what was going on or even cared about it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    mcgruff10 said:

Sure. Discuss away. I'll step out of this one. I will say I would've loved to be at both MSG shows and couldn't be more jealous of the Toronto set.

Personally I would have hated the toronto set as I am not a fan of binaural. yeah I really like grievance and parting ways but there's too many duds in there for me. If I had brought my wife to this show she would have been bored as hell and probably would not want to go to another show for a while. I'm guessing 75% of the audience had no clue what was going on or even cared about it.
    Well that's a shame cause it's a fucking brilliant record. And I personally know a ton of people that would've loved every second of Toronto. I got several texts while binaural was happening last night saying "holy shit!" I think they do a phenomanol job of mixing hits/rarities/covers to keep people happy and engaged which is one of the reasons their live show gets so much respect.
  • Options
    PhishinPearlsPhishinPearls NYC Posts: 60

mcgruff10 said:

Well that's a shame cause it's a fucking brilliant record. And I personally know a ton of people that would've loved every second of Toronto. I got several texts while binaural was happening last night saying "holy shit!" I think they do a phenomanol job of mixing hits/rarities/covers to keep people happy and engaged which is one of the reasons their live show gets so much respect.
    If you're going to tell me MSG2 was a good mix of hits/rarities/covers...
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Thats exactly what I'm gonna tell you. Its all personal preference i suppose but that first encore looked pretty fucking good on paper. And shit now that i look again the second encore looks pretty fucking good too!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Thats exactly what I'm gonna tell you. Its all personal preference i suppose but that first encore looked pretty fucking good on paper. And shit now that i look again the second encore looks pretty fucking good too!
    The second encore looked good?

Outside of Driven to Tears, they played Alive and Lightning Bolt in the 2nd encore of MSG1, and played Sonic Reducer, Baba, and Ledbetter in the 2nd encore of Philly. So, that's incredibly weak in my opinion.

Smile? In My Tree? Satan's Bed? HTI? Mankind? You? STBC? Breakerfall?

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

It s a brilliant record to some but to others it s pretty weak. Binaural and riot act are their two weakest albums imo
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Outside of Driven to Tears, they played Alive and Lightning Bolt in the 2nd encore of MSG1, and played Sonic Reducer, Baba, and Ledbetter in the 2nd encore of Philly. So, that's incredibly weak in my opinion.

To each their own man. Sure, there are a ton of songs I'd rather hear but I love the Police so Driven w/Sting would've been fucking amazing to me and I never tire of Baba, Sonic, or Alive. I also love Lightning Bolt (best song off the record after Pendulum for me) so I wouldn't call it weak.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

You can't tell me you would've "hated" that set. Seriously??
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

ok hated is a strong word. disliked?
    but in all seriousness, I would have been pissed if they played binaural in a row at a show I attended. That album is just not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

but in all seriousness, I would have been pissed if they played binaural in a row at a show I attended. That album is just not my cup of tea.
    Gotcha. Its definitely the most different record of theirs. But man musically it has a lot of depth and in my opinion is some of their best work. My favorite three...1. No Code 2. Yield 3. Binaural
  • Options
    cjminorcjminor Posts: 19
    I wasn't at the MSG shows, but just saw this - the music snob at the Huffington Post liked it: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/why-pearl-jam-2016-is-bet_b_9818880.html
  • Options
    How can you say that 2nd encore was great? Outside of Driven to Tears, it was as standard as a Pearl Jam 2nd encore gets.
  • Options
    GJ125369GJ125369 Canada Posts: 40
    edited May 2016
    They didn’t even play all of Binaural last night, I can’t believe Eddie didn’t bring out his typewriter to play Writer’s Block so I could check it off my list. Worst show ever!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GJ125369 said:

They didn’t even play all of Binaural last night, I can’t believe Eddie didn’t bring out his typewriter to play Writer’s Block so I could check it off my list. Worst show ever!!!!!!!

Yes, lets take everything out of context. Again, I certainly think my comment above yours re: the 2nd encore is on point.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924

mcgruff10 said:

So they're getting dinged for playing a couple songs at MSG2 that they played in Philly? Really? There's a small % of fans that are hitting both nights in the same city. And even a much smaller % of fans going to shows in different states.

Some advice.....stop going to shows if this bothers you. Just go to one and call it good.
  • Options

How can you say that 2nd encore was great? Outside of Driven to Tears, it was as standard as a Pearl Jam 2nd encore gets.

I didn't say it was great. I just don't think it was "weak" as I like all the songs they played (always love Baba and Alive) and Driven w/Sting would've been really fucking cool to see.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    phish....
  • Options

Just go to one and call it good.

or none...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568
    mcgruff10 said:

KP_McMinn said:

It surprises me that phrases such as, "empirically incorrect" and "no way in hell" that PJ may be just as, if not more popular now, than they were in the 90's?? Again, if you look back, and really think about it, they were only really SUPER popular for a short time (3-4 years). 96 no code, a lot of fans became uninterested and went another direction (not me) that is a fact (check record sales). Moreover, they just sold out PHILLY 2 nights, MSG 2 nights, Wrigley and Fenway 2 nights each, in like 4 minutes, correct? You cannot sit there with a straight face and say that PJ is not just as, if not more popular now, then the mid to late 90's.
    Further to your point of, "kids in their 20's aren't going to see PJ". Where did you find that statistic? Was that just an observation from the shows you just went to? From the 3 shows i just saw, there were plenty of the younger generation.

Yes from the 3 shows that I went to I really didn't see many young kids in their 20's. Sure you had the occasional 7-14 year old with their parents but the vast majority of the people sitting in my sections and in the hallways (correct usage of word?) at all three shows were probably 35 years of age and up.
    And like I said, you cannot compare the popularity of pj in the mid 90's to now. They were literally on the front of time magazine! Ten sold more than 10 million and vs. sold almost a million in a week! There is no way pj can even come close to that now.

I am 20 years old and MSG 2 was my 13th show. A few of my friends are also the same way.

Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options

Just go to one and call it good.

or none...
    No shit. Theres another dude complaining in Toronto fan views that after Binaural the show was boring because they played Alive, Black, Corduroy and Given to Fly.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Gotcha. Its definitely the most different record of theirs. But man musically it has a lot of depth and in my opinion is some of their best work. My favorite three...1. No Code 2. Yield 3. Binaural
    my favorite three is 1. no code 2. yield 3. vitalogy.
    I do agree that binaural/riot act is there most different record. Like I said, it just never caught my ear. Although I did see them play 8 times in 2000 and 11 times in 2003 in support of riot act lol.
  • Options
    Listen, to each their own, but you can't tell me that the 2nd encore is anything special when they're just repeating songs from the previous two nights!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Vs. and Vitalogy may have been better records in 1993 & 1994... but in my opinion Binaural & Riot Act are better albums in 2016... they are more mature... they have better song writing... they are less testosterone & angst driven.... they are more refined... they are amazing fucking records

I cant tell you the last time I listened to Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy... its been YEARS... but I reach for Binaural & Riot Act all the time
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Binaural, without reservation, is my favorite Pearl Jam record.
    Then and now.
    You wont hear me bitching about them not playing songs off of that release when I'm lucky enough to be there in the first place.
    They only played the songs I don't like....poor me. First world problems.
    Too many cameras and not enough food....
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    cjminor said:

I wasn't at the MSG shows, but just saw this - the music snob at the Huffington Post liked it: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/why-pearl-jam-2016-is-bet_b_9818880.html

The first paragraph reads as such:

"I have to admit, aside from digging the 4-5 MTV hits off their now-classic 1990 release, Ten, I was never a big Pearl Jam fan. In fact, up until yesterday afternoon, when my girlfriend told me her company had a box next to the stage at MSG, I still thought they were a bunch of over-hyped, mediocre, whiny, grunge rockers who’d long since past their prime"

Just because someone is a music snob, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
  • Options

cjminor said:

"I have to admit, aside from digging the 4-5 MTV hits off their now-classic 1990 release, Ten, I was never a big Pearl Jam fan. In fact, up until yesterday afternoon, when my girlfriend told me her company had a box next to the stage at MSG, I still thought they were a bunch of over-hyped, mediocre, whiny, grunge rockers who’d long since past their prime"

Just because someone is a music snob, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
    or even a "mediocre" writer grammatically either apparently...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    by the way....im still ISO of a pair of 10club Fenway nite ONE tickets...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Vs. and Vitalogy may have been better records in 1993 & 1994... but in my opinion Binaural & Riot Act are better albums in 2016... they are more mature... they have better song writing... they are less testosterone & angst driven.... they are more refined... they are amazing fucking records

I cant tell you the last time I listened to Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy... its been YEARS... but I reach for Binaural & Riot Act all the time

I find myself listening to Binaural and RA far more now as well.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816

cjminor said:

If you put your opinion to the side for a second and realize the main point of that article is a guy who wasn't a if fan went to see them, and was in awe. He went in expecting nothing and left floored, and a fan. That's the main point. Nitpicking aside, for once.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.. ...."My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.......My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros..

Someone please reach over and bump the turntable, I think it's stuck again.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh