Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    PJ_Soul said:

myoung321 said:

Didn't see this posted previously.. or missed it.. but, Ringo Starr just canceled his show in NC

Yeah, that was posted... no one cared. :lol:;) (I honestly didn't even realize Ringo still had enough of a career to have a solo show).
    Me either.....just read a while back on CNN scrolling crap
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'd fucking LOVE to see Ringo either on his own or with the All-Star thing.

Shame on you both :nuh_uh:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2016
    hedonist said:

I might go if I got a free ticket.... (I have to admit that I think the Beatles are way overrated, lol. I did go through a big Beatles phase when I was a teenager, so I get it, but holy hell, does that music ever get tedious if you listen to it too much! IMO!!! ;) ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    Nope. Greatest band ever. Not up for debate.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

Well it totally is, lol, but not in this thread. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

I might go if I got a free ticket.... (I have to admit that I think the Beatles are way overrated, lol. I did go through a big Beatles phase when I was a teenager, so I get it, but holy hell, does that music ever get tedious if you listen to it too much! IMO!!! ;) ).
    I've been going through a big Beatles phase since I was a teenager - and that's a whooole lot of time =)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    ComeToTX said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    I do have to say, now that I'm down here in SC for a bit, this stuff is on the news every day. Bruce is still mentioned on the news, Ringo made news, etc., so while stuff may not be getting as much play elsewhere, it is still a pretty major story here. Just this afternoon at the gym, there was a story about SC potentially passing a similar law (although the governor and others have already said they won't sign it), Bruce, Ringo, and video of NC protests, these are sort of keeping this law in the newscycles longer than they otherwise might be....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    ComeToTX said:

:lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Duran Duran weigh in:

"With respect to the current storm which is howling through this State, we considered cancelling our show on Saturday, but decided to go ahead, both for the sake of our fans and to support those in North Carolina who feel as strongly as we do about this issue. We see this as an opportunity to make the following statement.

Yes here it is again, just plain old fashioned prejudice, fear and oppression, the same old kind that’s blighted the human race, in varying degrees, for all of its history. Duran Duran is opposed to bigotry and discrimination in all of its ugly forms, and so it follows that we are opposed to the basic premise of HB2. We support the rights of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender community, to have equal opportunities. We support their rights to live free, happy, fulfilled lives. If you live in this State and feel the same way, we urge you to register, so that you can vote; so that your voice can be heard. We urge you to sign this petition which will be presented at the General Assembly meeting on April 25th in North Carolina. You have the power to repeal this outdated and cruel legislation.

Sign up forms for the petition and information about HB2 and how to repeal it will be available at the show on Saturday night – so go visit the teams manning the Equality NC stalls that will be on site.

Our thanks to both Equality NC (www.equalitync.org) and NC Needs You (a new organization dedicated to connecting performers with likeminded nonprofits in the state battling against HB2) for their support and education on this issue. And, like us, please support Time Out Youth (http://www.timeoutyouth.org/), who will also be at the show and do incredible work with LGBT youth in the area.

– Simon, Nick, John & Roger"
  • Options
    taking money and jobs out the state is only hurting the residents, whether they support the law or not. it's irresponsible. the ones donating to the cause are doing it the right way.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

taking money and jobs out the state is only hurting the residents, whether they support the law or not. it's irresponsible. the ones donating to the cause are doing it the right way.

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Wish people thought more into these things like you do Hugh. Onya' mate!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Hell yea Louis CK!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575

Wish people thought more into these things like you do Hugh. Onya' mate!
    To be fair Bruce is in the minority in thinking canceling was the best option.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    edited April 2016
    So were all the artists opposed to apartheid wrong for refusing to play shows in Sun City during the 80s?

http://youtu.be/TlMdYpnVOGQ
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    "Cirque du Soleil strongly believes in diversity and equality for every individual and is opposed to discrimination in any form. The new HB2 legislation passed in North Carolina is an important regression to ensuring human rights for all. We therefore choose to cancel our scheduled performances of OVO in Greensboro (April 20-24) and our scheduled performances in Charlotte (July 6-10) and our scheduled performances of TORUK – Avatar in Raleigh (June 22-26).

Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions.

We sincerely hope that the customers that have purchased tickets for our performances in North Carolina will understand our motivation and we look forward to performing in North Carolina when this issue is addressed. On-line and phone ticket purchases will be automatically reimbursed and in-person purchases must return to point of purchase for refunds. Customer service can be reached at 1-877-924-7783."
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300

I've always felt this way and I never thought the band would cancel the Raleigh show and cause the inconvenience to fans going to that show
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    on2legs said:

So were all the artists opposed to apartheid wrong for refusing to play shows in Sun City during the 80s?

That's the thing I was thinking of too.
  • Options
    OatsdadOatsdad Posts: 72
    When Bruce announced the canceled show, I felt 75% sure PJ would follow suit.

Now that we're only four days from Raleigh, though, I'd be really surprised if PJ canceled.

They've had more than a week to do so, which makes me think they're going ahead with the show.

I'm surprised they've not offered some public statement on the matter, though...
  • Options
    lurkinlurkin Posts: 77
    edited April 2016
    on2legs said:

Thanks for posting this. These artists raised $1 million, major awareness and although it took time and a true global effort, apartheid was ended in 9 years. They were on the right side of history.
    I'm flying in for this show, but would totally respect and admire the band if they gave the hostile middle finger to the powers that be and said "I ain't gonna play NC".
    Post edited by lurkin on
  • Options
    Finally heard back from 10c today, which leads me to think the show is definitely on, since they took a few days to reply to whether 10c member could get refunds for NC if we didn't want to attend. I assume the delay was them waiting on a decision?

Odd reply, though, they said it was entirely my choice whether to attend, but that I'd only get a refund if they didn't play?!? Yeah, I clearly understood that dynamic before I wrote, hehe.
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Kinda weird
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

Yep. It is odd to hear folks gleefully proclaim the economic impact of boycotts.... "the state will lose millions... that'll teach 'em". But the state isn't a for-profit institution. Whatever shortfalls the state ends up with falls back to the people in very real ways. Sure there is some potential fallout to the politicians but that's a long run game, and in most cases a forgotten one.

Spending time and energy during election time to get the message out, now that would be contributing. Of course it requires far more effort than just not showing up.
  • Options
    can't believe they cancelled.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Shocked they canceled. After the law is revoked please go back and play twice as long.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    Fucking bullshit to wait this long. What a dick move.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Don't like it
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    They just cancelled the show