Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    edited April 2016
    BREAKING Governor takes steps related to HB2

Governor Pat McCrory has signed an Executive Order to protect the privacy and equality of all North Carolinians. Executive Order 93 clarifies existing state law and provides new protections for North Carolina residents.

Executive Order 93 does the following:

Maintains common sense gender-specific restroom and locker room facilities in government buildings and schools
    Affirms the private sector’s right to establish its own restroom and locker room policies
    Affirms the private sector and local governments’ right to establish non-discrimination employment policies for its own employees
    Expands the state’s employment policy for state employees to cover sexual orientation and gender identity
    Seeks legislation to reinstate the right to sue in state court for discrimination
    With this Executive Order, the State of North Carolina is now one of 24 states that have protections for sexual orientation and gender identity for its employees.

http://governor.nc.gov/press-release/governor-mccrory-takes-action-protect-privacy-and-equality
    Post edited by dangerboy on

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,596
    did he give all the credit to bruce?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    so thats good. I can buckle up to head to Raleigh?
  • Options

• Options
    I get what Bruce is trying to do here, but I think MayDay10 is right: boycotting the show is not punishing local politicians; however, it is punishing local stagehands, waiters and bartenders at restaurants and bars around the arena, all arena workers, etc.
    You want to introduce rational thought into an arena where those with no personal stake in the N.C. matter shout from high horses? Some nerve.

The solution is clear: Springsteen should never book a red state again, just to be safe. Who knows what "faith-based" nonsense those elected officials can concoct? That might actually constitute a personal sacrifice for him.

Bigger picture: There are ignorant people everywhere. I can attest to this because I lived for 20-odd years in a "red" part of a blue state (New York), and I've lived the past 15-odd years in a "blue" part of North Carolina. A higher percentage of my N.Y. neighbors would sign on for HB2 than my N.C. neighbors. That's a fact.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    GLAAD Calls On Music Industry For Support
    Bruce Springsteen may be the latest performer to boycott North Carolina over its law seen as discriminatory against the LGBT community, but now one group is urging performers not to follow The Boss' lead.

The organization North Carolina Needs You started a new initiative over the weekend aimed at encouraging performers to keep their shows in the state in order to generate money locally and speak out against the controversial legislation.

The group began their push after Springsteen canceled his date in Greensboro last Friday in response to the so-called "religious freedom" law viewed as an attempt to roll back protections for gay and transgender people.

"We need you here, in North Carolina, helping to raise money and awareness in order to defeat such policies and the politicians who enacted and defend them," a statement from the group said.

Opponents of the law are asking performers to keep their shows and use the stage as a platform to make a statement or to donate their profits to advocacy groups fighting for the LGBT community.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited April 2016
    It would be hard to argue that Bruce had nothing to do with it.... many drops in the bucket fill it up, right? I would say that what Bruce did definitely contributed to the pressure the governor must have been feeling. It's attracted a lot of attention. So right on. Way to go Bruce Springsteen! I hope everyone who said this was pointless will take note.

The governor's little statement is a bit of a pile of bullshit though. Trying to say everyone was wrong and hypocritical, even when the same things appear to have been responsible for this response from him. Kind of laughable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    ComeToTX said:

Sounds like it to me.
    "After listening to people’s feedback for the past several weeks on this issue, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great deal of misinformation, misinterpretation, confusion, a lot of passion and frankly, selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially against the great state of North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Based upon this feedback, I am taking action to affirm and improve the state’s commitment to privacy and equality."
    wcnc.com/news/politics/gov-mccrory-signs-executive-order-in-response-to-hb2/129617246
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    ComeToTX said:

GLAAD Calls On Music Industry For Support
    Bruce Springsteen may be the latest performer to boycott North Carolina over its law seen as discriminatory against the LGBT community, but now one group is urging performers not to follow The Boss' lead.

The organization North Carolina Needs You started a new initiative over the weekend aimed at encouraging performers to keep their shows in the state in order to generate money locally and speak out against the controversial legislation.

The group began their push after Springsteen canceled his date in Greensboro last Friday in response to the so-called "religious freedom" law viewed as an attempt to roll back protections for gay and transgender people.

"We need you here, in North Carolina, helping to raise money and awareness in order to defeat such policies and the politicians who enacted and defend them," a statement from the group said.

Opponents of the law are asking performers to keep their shows and use the stage as a platform to make a statement or to donate their profits to advocacy groups fighting for the LGBT community.

LOL. Those damn bigots caving against the boycott.
  • Options
    JTH said:

ComeToTX said:

Sounds like it to me.
    "After listening to people’s feedback for the past several weeks on this issue, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great deal of misinformation, misinterpretation, confusion, a lot of passion and frankly, selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially against the great state of North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Based upon this feedback, I am taking action to affirm and improve the state’s commitment to privacy and equality."
    wcnc.com/news/politics/gov-mccrory-signs-executive-order-in-response-to-hb2/129617246

the "backlash" has been coming from everywhere. bruce is just another one on the list. paypal cost the state a shit ton more. today deutsch bank announced they were pulling out too. hate to say it, but banks have way more sway downtown than musicians...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    dangerboy said:

JTH said:

ComeToTX said:

Sounds like it to me.

the "backlash" has been coming from everywhere. bruce is just another one on the list. paypal cost the state a shit ton more. today deutsch bank announced they were pulling out too. hate to say it, but banks have way more sway downtown than musicians...
    Yeah, of course. Springsteen brought the most publicity probably, and paypal and a bank brought the big financial threat. And for all we know, Springsteen's public protest may have inspired the others or given them the nudge or whatever, I don't know. Overall, I would call it a successful protest on all sides! I'm sure the laws still have a LOT of room for improvement, but this is definitely a victory as far as I can tell, for Springsteen and everyone/thing else that put pressure on the state.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    can't disagree.

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    So HB2 is hardly overthrown. And you guys are acting like Bruce accomplished the goal?
  • Options
    I'm acting like he contributed to positive change. I'm not even sure the goal has been reached in any state in the USA, let alone NC.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,420
    JP Losman said:

So HB2 is hardly overthrown. And you guys are acting like Bruce accomplished the goal?

Yep...not completely repealed at all...just modified
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm acting like he contributed to positive change. I'm not even sure the goal has been reached in any state in the USA, let alone NC.

Sure, he pushes the dial. The question, in context of PJ, is whether that is the best tactic. There are positives and negatives with playing and cancelling.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    JP Losman said:

I was just being a smartass, really. I wanted to point out that McCrory had to throw in a dig at "those people" in his statement.

it's kinda like one of those non-apology apology. "I'm sorry if I offended anyone, BUT..."

Or anything prefaced by "with all due respect." That one is guaranteed to be followed up with something that is the complete opposite of respectful.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sure, he pushes the dial. The question, in context of PJ, is whether that is the best tactic. There are positives and negatives with playing and cancelling.
    I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I personally think that it (or other protests with a stronger impact than just talk) is the best tactic because it has the most impact as far as exposure and pressure and speed go. It's certainly a lot more effective that giving a speech on a stage, and much better than donating money to groups, as some suggested as an alternative, which would be spent on what? Probably legal fees for civil court cases that would be drawn out for years. I feel that some minor (or not so minor) hardships this kind of protest may place on the general population are worth it. Changes in civil rights never came easy or without sacrifice, willing or unwilling. Yes, that is shitty for those who might lose wages or whatever (sorry, I don't give a shit if someone missed a concert). But not nearly as shitty as it was for all the gay people who have been unable to even find a job, or have been fired over the years, just for being gay, or anyone who is discriminated against because of who they are. My thoughts are always with the victims of discrimination first. These are my beliefs. Not everyone feels the same way, clearly.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    I had way more racist and homophobic idiots surrounding me when i lived in the northeast as opposed to when i lived in the Deep South. Surprised the hell out of me. So yeah it's definitely not a strictly southern issue. Either way it's sad. Cancelling a single concert wont do as much as showing up and playing out of ur mind
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I had way more racist and homophobic idiots surrounding me when i lived in the northeast as opposed to when i lived in the Deep South. Surprised the hell out of me. So yeah it's definitely not a strictly southern issue. Either way it's sad. Cancelling a single concert wont do as much as showing up and playing out of ur mind

I guess it will (and honestly, I can't believe anyone actually thinks it wouldn't. What exactly do you think just going ahead with a show that was already booked do??).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I guess it will (and honestly, I can't believe anyone actually thinks it wouldn't. What exactly do you think just going ahead with a show that was already booked do??).
    You are very dismissive of the work that that the organizations and non-profits that fight these type of laws do. These are people (including my family members here in NC) dedicate their lives to...righting social injustice. So when Joel McHale donates all of his proceeds to a cause, it makes a difference. When the LGBTA community itself says they would prefer that artists play the shows, I think they know what they are talking about.

When you break down to how specifically this bill was passed, it was because the city of Charlotte actually tried to do the right thing and was pro-active by passing an ordinance that was very progressive. The cities of NC (Charlotte, the triangle, Greensboro, Asheville) all are against the law already. The jobs impacted by the protests and the citizens and businesses impacted by the cancellations ALREADY are against the law.

So yea, playing an awesome show, making it a rally for candidates you support, donating to these organizations if you want by the artists...that creates real change and it does so with much less negative impact.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are very dismissive of the work that that the organizations and non-profits that fight these type of laws do. These are people (including my family members here in NC) dedicate their lives to...righting social injustice. So when Joel McHale donates all of his proceeds to a cause, it makes a difference. When the LGBTA community itself says they would prefer that artists play the shows, I think they know what they are talking about.

When you break down to how specifically this bill was passed, it was because the city of Charlotte actually tried to do the right thing and was pro-active by passing an ordinance that was very progressive. The cities of NC (Charlotte, the triangle, Greensboro, Asheville) all are against the law already. The jobs impacted by the protests and the citizens and businesses impacted by the cancellations ALREADY are against the law.

So yea, playing an awesome show, making it a rally for candidates you support, donating to these organizations if you want by the artists...that creates real change and it does so with much less negative impact.
    Well said!!
    another NC resident that agrees with ya!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited April 2016
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

I am not dismissive of them (of course not. I support them). I wasn't even talking about them in the post you quoted. You said that playing his show would have done more good than not. Obviously that is not the case here. I don't see how you can say otherwise in this instance. It was specifically the act of boycotting (not just by Bruce) that got the governor to act. And I believe that the state law overrides any local ones, so no, the places impacted do not actually have laws that override the state legislation. As you said, those city ordinances were why the republican lawmakers created the legislation.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

This guy gets it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Oops.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's certainly a lot more effective that giving a speech on a stage, and much better than donating money to groups, as some suggested as an alternative, which would be spent on what? Probably legal fees for civil court cases that would be drawn out for years.

I think that is very dismissive.
  • Options
    i work in the concert industry in north carolina, and i know a lot of people who were impacted by the cancellation of the bruce show both backstage and out in the house. i agree fully with bruce's right to make whatever statement he feels the need to make, i just think that in this case he did not consider that he made it at the expense of a whole shit ton of innocent bystanders...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I don't think it was dismissive. Just true. That is what that kind of money would go to in this scenario. Taking things to court has a big role a lot of the time. But not this time. The boycotts got action immediately. If you really care about the issue, why aren't you expressing any kind of interest in the governor's actions today btw? I know it's not a cure for the issue, but still... I would have thought more people would be more enthused about the quick effectiveness of these protests. Instead, people still seem to be slagging them. :confused:
  • Options
    dangerboy said:

i work in the concert industry in north carolina, and i know a lot of people who were impacted by the cancellation of the bruce show both backstage and out in the house. i agree fully with bruce's right to make whatever statement he feels the need to make, i just think that in this case he did not consider that he made it at the expense of a whole shit ton of innocent bystanders...

Of course he considered it. He did it anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ComeToTX said:

JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

This guy gets it.
    Not really, particularly the part about the city ordinances. That just isn't true. The state legislation made sure that it isn't. The part about them trying to do the right thing is, but so? The protests weren't an attack on specific cities. They were against the state that the cities happen to be in.