Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    JP Losman said:

I'm specifically talking about the LGBTQ community and statements released by their organizations that promote their civil rights advocates as well as LGBTQ artists too.

GLAAD did say this, yes, but I don't think that means the entire LGBTQ community has weighed in and is on the same page with them, since that is often not the case. I would imagine PJ would take their cues from Bruce more than GLAAD, although now that we are one week away, they should release a statement either way.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    Why should everyone do what Bruce did? I agree with how Buffett and others have handled it.

People thinking Bruce has a fraction of the impact of PayPal or Deutsche stopping plans to expand are kidding themselves.

Also, none of the protests have worked but keep patting Bruce on the back.

I live in a state (TX) that has some archaic laws and are trying to pass more. So does every state in the south. Should no band ever play down here again because our politicians are trying to take us back to 1900?

We're not all represented by the people elected here.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    I think Bruce brings the attention to different people than the businesses doing it, just like today's story about Senators urging the NBA to move the All Star Game hits a different audience:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/senators-send-note-to-nba-to-move-all-star-game
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    There have been rallies here in Raleigh in support of the law too now. Its crazy.

Anyways, these are other organizations that are against cancelling shows:

Equality NC: http://equalitync.org
    Progress NC Action: www.progressncaction.org
    NC NAACP: http://www.naacpnc.org
    NC ACLU: http://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org
    Lillian's List: http://www.lillianslist.org
    LGBT Center of Raleigh: http://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com
    LGBT Center of Durham: http://www.lgbtqcenterofdurham.org
    North Star LGBT Community Center of Winston-Salem: http://www.northstarlgbtcc.com
    Southerners on New Ground: http://southernersonnewground.org
    Queer Oriented Radical Days of Summer: http://www.qords.org
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    JP Losman said:

The law is on the ropes? How so? Please explain. Please tell me what HB2 was before and after the governor's action. Also, please explain the procedure for how HB2 truly can be repealed. There's only 2 ways, if the legislature does it or if the courts do it. And the places where there is an economic impact from the businesses leaving or performers cancelling ALREADY are strongly against it and in fact this all started because Charlotte was trying to be pro-active. You are looking at 2022 before the district lines can be redrawn. It is a LONG battle in the legislature route. Courts take a long time too but almost certainly will decide this issue first.

It took less than a week for the governor to revise it. The first of many cracks to come. The pressure will continue to build and it will be repealed by the legislature. Money trumps everything for politicians and once they've bled enough they will do the right thing.

People criticizing Bruce either have a short memory or know nothing about him. This isn't some ego trip for him or cry for attention. Bruce is one of the most socially conscious artists who ever lived. He has been sticking up for the underdog his whole career: Amenesty International, Sun City, USA for Africa, Streets of Philadelphia, vote for change tour, Veterans rights, hunger relief, hell... the entire Wrecking Ball album is one big middle finger to the country's response to Katrina. Guy doesn't just talk the talk.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    We all agree with Bruce on this issue. Some of us just think there were better ways to deal with it than canceling a show on 48 hours notice.

I'm guessing PJ has decided they don't agree with his method on this either or they would have canceled by now.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,418
    JP Losman said:

I also think this is just Bruce fans thinking Bruce can do no wrong. Imagine if Pearl Jam did this and it was being discussed on a Bruce forum in regards to whether Bruce should cancel an upcoming show.

Not true....Bruce forum is ripping Bruce apart...lots of anger. ANd PJ has been discussed on BTX
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,636
    JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

It only took what? 3 days for the governor to make this move?

Is that a typo? Did you mean 3 weeks? I believe he signed the bill into law on March 23.
    I meant since Springsteen cancelled his show.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

I know that, although you know what governor actions I'm talking about; they are right up there in an article that was posted. Anyway, you have to admit this is a step in the right direction that wouldn't have happened without the publicity of boycotts. It only took what? 3 days for the governor to make this move? If history is any indication, that will likely be the beginning of bigger things. Are you saying that this means absolutely nothing in your mind? That these boycotts, which basically forced the governor to start back tracking within only days, didn't have some impact? I can appreciate an all or nothing now stance on this, but it's not very realistic. I was actually very surprised to see that the state is already starting to back down. I thought it would take way longer for it to begin. No one who supports equality and the fight for civil rights thinks this is enough in the long run, but in the short term I see it as a positive turn. And it showed that boycotting could work to reverse the legislation altogether. The pressure works on them.

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2016/04/12/mccrory-issues-executive-order-on-hb2-is-it-at-all-meaningful/

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2016/04/13/mccrory-hb2-executive-order-fails-to-live-up-to-the-hype/

This is my sentiment to the governor's actions, which you seem impressed by
    I'm only impressed by the movement that is happening, which I've already clearly stated. Not with the position that NC is now in regarding the legislation (why are all your quotes messed up?)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

We all agree with Bruce on this issue. Some of us just think there were better ways to deal with it than canceling a show on 48 hours notice.

I'm guessing PJ has decided they don't agree with his method on this either or they would have canceled by now.

I'm guessing we have no idea how PJ feels about his method unless they did the same thing. Just because they don't do it doesn't mean they disapprove of his doing it (I'd be surprised if they did).
  • Options
    i said don't agree. i didn't say disapprove. i'm sure they see what he did as noble but it doesn't mean they agree it's the right method or the only method.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

i said don't agree. i didn't say disapprove. i'm sure they see what he did as noble but it doesn't mean they agree it's the right method or the only method.

Okay, replace disapprove with disagree. Same sentiment stands.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I totally understand Bruce's point, and would support the band if they decide to do the same, but I too think playing the show and using it as a campaign against that particular issue would be way more effective. I mean, when I read the Trump thing Eddie did at Ft Lauderdale, I thought it was just Eddie being Eddie, nothing new. Well, two days later my grandma's sister sent me a message saying she had seen my boys making fun of Trump. It turns out it went viral even here in Chile, and not only in music circles (it's my grandma's sister we are talking about xD).
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, they already have massive, international attention on them, so why not using it? A picture (or video) is worth a thousand words, specially nowadays.
    Also, PJ is not Bruce. In 1996 they could've stayed home to show how they felt about the Grammys, but they decided to go all the way there.
    And, to me, it's the same with Eddie's long, deep speeches in the audiences' languages throughout the world (which I was lucky enough to experience first hand last year). It's about saying what they have to say, and doing it in a way you won't forget.
    So, I really hope they do the show, even though I will hate not being there :tongue:

Isn't your grandma's sister your aunt?
    :lol: I just meant to say she is an aged lady, not just my mom/dad's little sister
  • Options

I think that would be a great-aunt.

(mother's sister is an aunt ;) )

:)
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Just my opinion...that NC gov. is a passive aggressive hillbilly.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

It only took what? 3 days for the governor to make this move?

Is that a typo? Did you mean 3 weeks? I believe he signed the bill into law on March 23.
    I meant since Springsteen cancelled his show.
    Oh, right. Silly me. I totally forgot that the SOLE reason for the executive order was that Bruce's show was cancelled.

The possibility of the NCAA pulling the plug on tournament games? Nah, nobody gives a shit about basketball in North Carolina, do they? It's all about The Boss down there.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

JTH said:

I get the feeling that some people in this thread really want the show to be cancelled just because they can't go to it anyway.

I also love the fact that some here seem to think that the only reason the governor did this half-assed backtrack is because of Springsteen's show being cancelled.

Why would anyone want the show to be cancelled?

Don't confuse people thinking that cancelling is the strongest message to send with people actively rooting for the show to be canned.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    Don't confuse deciding to go on with the show as scheduled with doing nothing.
  • Options
    JTH said:

on2legs said:

JTH said:

I get the feeling that some people in this thread really want the show to be cancelled just because they can't go to it anyway.

I also love the fact that some here seem to think that the only reason the governor did this half-assed backtrack is because of Springsteen's show being cancelled.

Don't confuse people thinking that cancelling is the strongest message to send with people actively rooting for the show to be canned.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    I see any reason for you to have said that. No one has suggested such a thing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

on2legs said:

JTH said:

Did you read the post I quoted? it could have been interpreted that way. Perhaps you can explain the exact intent since you clearly have such a vast knowledge of everything.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

I really hate it for the fans. Why not donate all $ to fight it?

100%
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

on2legs said:

JTH said:

Did you read the post I quoted? it could have been interpreted that way. Perhaps you can explain the exact intent since you clearly have such a vast knowledge of everything.

No one suggested that.

I hope you get your show and I hope it's the kick ass show of the tour. I also hope North Carolina gets its act together and repeals the law.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

on2legs said:

JTH said:

No one suggested that.

I hope you get your show and I hope it's the kick ass show of the tour. I also hope North Carolina gets its act together and repeals the law.
    I never said I was going to the show. It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other if the show is cancelled. I am sure that the band will do what they feel is right and that is the way it should be.

I do think that the band should make SOME kind of statement already, even if it's just to say something like "we honestly don't know if we're playing the show or not but we will let you know as soon as we know."
  • Options
    JTH said:

PJ_Soul said:

JTH said:

on2legs said:

JTH said:

I don't see any reason for you to have said that. No one has suggested such a thing.
    Holy, snitty. lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Holy, snitty. lol.

:hug:
  • Options
    Ringo cancelled his show for June.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

Huh!
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

wral.com/all-you-need-is-love-ringo-starr-cancels-cary-concert-over-hb2/15640184/

Although I applaud his public position on this matter I've also heard "whispers" locally that ticket sales may have been factor here as well. ( fyi )

Look ...I'm not certain what impact RIngo cancelling or Buffet playing has on the longevity of current incarnation of HB2 in this state but at the very least each of these decisions invite opinion and discussion from the community . That is a very good thing

For what its worth : Most people I speak with, both the politically involved and those afflicted with a touch of mild apathy , absolutely detest that the conservative legislature and Govs offfice continue to make a mockery of this state and its people in this manner !

• Options
    I wonder why they keep voting them in then??
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Gerrymandering.

"No state has done more in the post-Jim Crow era to restrict voting rights than North Carolina. Just weeks after the Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, the state enacted a comprehensive voter suppression law that pulled together many different provisions used to restrict voting in other states. Meanwhile, its congressional maps offer only the illusion of a democracy. During the last presidential election, Republican candidate Mitt Romney received just over 50 percent of the popular vote in North Carolina. Nevertheless, Republicans won 9 of the state’s 13 seats in the U.S. House under North Carolina’s gerrymandered maps."

Also, in a new poll 50% of NC residents are against the law while only 38% approve of it.

It's not the people. It's their shitty politicians.
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

Really? Do you happen to know how they go about that in NC specifically (I see you're in TX, but maybe you've really been paying attention to NC politics!)?