Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    DK69493 said:

Tough call for the band. There's no doubt that cancelling would make more of a positive difference in the long run than playing the show and making some comments between songs. But bailing would definitely not be "fan friendly". I'd respect (even more) the h*ll out them for pulling the plug, though. And my guess is that the vast majority of fans feel the same way.

Yeah because the majority of their fans won't be attending their show, only about 20,000 or so. I would respect them too, but would be hard not to be gutted if it was my show they pulled the plug on. At the end of the day it's their decision, as a band and their fans will have mixed reactions.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,598
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

Really? Do you happen to know how they go about that in NC specifically (I see you're in TX, but maybe you've really been paying attention to NC politics!)?
    Yeah. I do. Read the rest of my post.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

Really? Do you happen to know how they go about that in NC specifically (I see you're in TX, but maybe you've really been paying attention to NC politics!)?
    Yeah. I do. Read the rest of my post.
    Oh, okay. None of that was there when I saw it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

The republicans wisely focused resources on winning the battle for redrawing the lines. and it really lets them impact state policy. To be fair, democrats in the past have used the tactic too but right now NC is in a situation where many districts are not going to turn blue. Its just a reality.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    Cyndi Lauper weighs in:

Lauper told ABC News in a statement that she planned to turn her upcoming Raleigh concert into an event "to build public support to repeal HB2."

"I will be donating all of the profits from the show to Equality North Carolina's efforts to repeal HB2 and I am proud of my manager and agent for joining me in this effort by donating their commissions from the show to this vital effort," she said. "I look forward to coming to North Carolina and standing up for equality and fairness. If we truly want an inclusive society, we all have to include ourselves in the effort to make that happen. This is the best way I know how to include myself and urge you to join me in the best way you know how."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    jeffwalsh said:

Cyndi Lauper weighs in:

Lauper told ABC News in a statement that she planned to turn her upcoming Raleigh concert into an event "to build public support to repeal HB2."

"I will be donating all of the profits from the show to Equality North Carolina's efforts to repeal HB2 and I am proud of my manager and agent for joining me in this effort by donating their commissions from the show to this vital effort," she said. "I look forward to coming to North Carolina and standing up for equality and fairness. If we truly want an inclusive society, we all have to include ourselves in the effort to make that happen. This is the best way I know how to include myself and urge you to join me in the best way you know how."

Nice.
  • Options
    She just wants to have fun, obviously.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

"No state has done more in the post-Jim Crow era to restrict voting rights than North Carolina. Just weeks after the Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, the state enacted a comprehensive voter suppression law that pulled together many different provisions used to restrict voting in other states. Meanwhile, its congressional maps offer only the illusion of a democracy. During the last presidential election, Republican candidate Mitt Romney received just over 50 percent of the popular vote in North Carolina. Nevertheless, Republicans won 9 of the state’s 13 seats in the U.S. House under North Carolina’s gerrymandered maps."

Also, in a new poll 50% of NC residents are against the law while only 38% approve of it.

It's not the people. It's their shitty politicians.

thank you. i thought i had already addressed this but i guess my post was too long to read.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ambrasjesambrasjes Posts: 124
    "Bruce Springsteen may be the latest performer to boycott North Carolina over its law seen as discriminatory against the LGBT community, but now one group is urging performers not to follow The Boss' lead.
    The organization North Carolina Needs You started a new initiative over the weekend aimed at encouraging performers to keep their shows in the state in order to generate money locally and speak out against the controversial legislation."
    nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/group-asks-artists-keep-n-c-shows-after-springsteen-pulls-n554831

I agree. No one remembers the second guy that walked on the moon. In order to keep these conversations going, you need to do something else. For example an unplanned busking gig at a government building, broadcasted live on periscope. That would send a message and generate nationwide buzz.

Buzz on!
    Antwerp/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Camden2/NewYork2/EVChicago1&2/Chicago1&2/
    Werchter/A'dam1/Werchter/EVA'dam2/EVLondon1/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/
    Seattle

Longtime ghost
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    I think if they were going to cancel they would have by now.
  • Options

Laura Jane Grace said Against Me! will play their May 15th show in Durham, North Carolina "as a form of protest" against the state's controversial anti-LGBT House Bill 2, Buzzfeed reports.

"I'm going to create an event around the show as a form of protest to say that despite whatever stupid laws they enact, trans people are not going to be scared," said Grace, who came out as transgender in 2012. "They are not going to go away."

"I think the real danger with HB2 is that it creates a target on transgender people specifically," Grace said. "When you feel targeted as a trans person, the natural inclination is to go into hiding. But visibility is more important than ever; to go there and have the platform of a stage to stand on and speak your mind and represent yourself."
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    jasonw said:

Springsteen canceled 2 days before the show. PJ could cancel the day of. THAT would surely draw some attention to this issue.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    pj knows that they have thousands of fans that turn their lives upside down to get to their shows. they won't cancel out of respect for their fans. Ed will surely mention something during the show, but they ain't cancelling. maybe they'll play Just A Girl?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JTH said:

jasonw said:

Springsteen canceled 2 days before the show. PJ could cancel the day of. THAT would surely draw some attention to this issue.
    springsteen was also going halfway across the country for 1 show.
  • Options

pj knows that they have thousands of fans that turn their lives upside down to get to their shows. they won't cancel out of respect for their fans. Ed will surely mention something during the show, but they ain't cancelling. maybe they'll play Just A Girl?

You read it here, folks. Springsteen doesn't respect his fans.
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    JTH said:

jasonw said:

I understand Bruce did that, but I really don't think PJ is going to let people fly in from all over the place and then just cancel day of. Also multiple LGBT groups are asking that bands do not cancel shows in NC.
  • Options
    JTH said:

You read it here, folks. Springsteen doesn't respect his fans.
    that's not what I said.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    maybe they should play Olympic Platinum and change the words Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn Jenner, dedicating it to all LGBT folks.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

maybe they should play Olympic Platinum and change the words Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn Jenner, dedicating it to all LGBT folks.

Best suggestion so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    lolobugg said:

ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

"No state has done more in the post-Jim Crow era to restrict voting rights than North Carolina. Just weeks after the Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, the state enacted a comprehensive voter suppression law that pulled together many different provisions used to restrict voting in other states. Meanwhile, its congressional maps offer only the illusion of a democracy. During the last presidential election, Republican candidate Mitt Romney received just over 50 percent of the popular vote in North Carolina. Nevertheless, Republicans won 9 of the state’s 13 seats in the U.S. House under North Carolina’s gerrymandered maps."

Also, in a new poll 50% of NC residents are against the law while only 38% approve of it.

thank you. i thought i had already addressed this but i guess my post was too long to read.
    FWIW, no post is too long for me to read. But sometimes I just don't always see every post in a thread. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

ComeToTX said:

Gerrymandering.

FWIW, no post is too long for me to read. But sometimes I just don't always see every post in a thread. :)
    mine was the best one :lol: how did you miss it?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by dogtown on
  • Options
    dogtown said:

JTH said:

jasonw said:

Yes, it would draw attention to the fact that there would be zero economic impact because those of us traveling from out of state would all be in the city already, paying for hotels and putting money into the NC economy. Day-of cancellation would be the dumbest of all options.
    Ooh, you're right. That isn't really newsworthy enough. They can cancel but not say anything until everyone is already in the arena.

Showmanship, baby!
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 785
    I've made a sign telling them they should play!
  • Options
    Deadman said:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SIGNS, PLAYA

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Deadman said:

:lol:
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Didn't see this posted previously.. or missed it.. but, Ringo Starr just canceled his show in NC
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Joining a number of international touring acts expressing disdain for North Carolina's new "HB2" or "bathroom law," rockers Mumford & Sons are planning to donate proceeds from their Charlotte show to a local LGBTQ organization.

According to statement on the band's Facebook page, the band is also creating a charitable fund "to support those who have made it their mission to pursue love and justice."

The band stated that all proceeds from the Charlotte show will benefit the fund.

"We want to take a stand with the people of North Carolina who this week are shouting loudly against intolerance, fear and discrimination," the statement read.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:

Didn't see this posted previously.. or missed it.. but, Ringo Starr just canceled his show in NC

Yeah, that was posted... no one cared. :lol:;) (I honestly didn't even realize Ringo still had enough of a career to have a solo show).
  • Options
    He's a Beatle and there are only 2 left. Of course I've seen Paul 4 times and pass on Ringo when he's in town.