Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    edited April 2016
    Vedd Hedd said:

That said....like I said above....peoples rights are being trampled on....while we complain about missing a concert, or while a worker complains about missing a day of work.

It's outrageous! How dare people want to feed their kids or pay their rent when a protest is on. Selfish fuckers, every one of them.
    Post edited by RE4790 on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    edited April 2016
    I think Buffet, Maynard & Brandi have the right idea. Cancelling shows will negatively affect a lot of people, and in most cases, probably not the ones to whom they ultimately want to express their disapproval. If they made the commitment to play the show, and they are physically capable of playing it, I think they should. I get the whole economic impact aspect of cancelling the show, however who will that affect the most? The immediate impact of their cancellation will be felt last by the people who make those laws.

I hope PJ plays, and does everything in their power to let people know how f'ed up the law is, and they won't be back to the state if things don't change. They could donate all the proceeds from the merch and / or ticket sales to organizations promoting a repeal of the law, and / or one dedicated to spreading awareness of LGBQT rights (or lack thereof).

I don't know what the right answer is, but I think bringing people together in the spirit of fun, love, good feelings and Rock & Roll would be a lot more conducive to change than passing over NC altogether.

Just my $0.02.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

The media attention for Bruce cancelling is way more than Joel mchale donating the proceeds.

Which is so strange, since Bruce and Joel are considered by most people to be at the same level of celebrity... ;-)
    Depends on the ratio of dentures in the room :)
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

I'm buying one of these to wear to the show.
    http://shop.equalitync.org/product-p/enc-yallmeansallred.htm

Fantastic shirt. Just ordered two, show or no show
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    So everyone saying PJ should cancel, please tell me how that will get the bill repealed?

The majority of PJ fans are against the bill. The cities of NC (Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville) are already against the bill. The state legislature here, because of gerrymandering, is strongly in support of HB2 and the places where this kind of economic protest can make a difference are already against the law. Sure, we can vote out the governor but a new governor cannot change the bill on his own. Really, the change needs to come through the legal system where the bill is hopefully determined to be unconstitutional on the federal level and then hopefully win at the SC level.

As much as I appreciate Bruce, I think what he did was a bit of grandstanding or for PR. I saw that Bruce played Wisco, Arizona and Texas already this year. What about all the horrible voter ID laws in these states...or the women's health laws in Texas? What about the absurd stand your ground laws in Florida that allow something like Trayvon Martin to be killed legally? Seems quite hypocritical to me. If you really want to help change the law and fight for the LGBTA community, you can do what Joel McHale did here and donate all of your proceeds to the non profits that are fighting the bill. Sure, you bring in some tax revenue for the state but you are helping out those that are fighting it more. Also, you are not punishing all the fans and businesses (mostly who are against the law anyways).

Its easy for people to just say cancelling the show makes a bigger statement. In reality, it hardly pushes the dial. Playing the show and donating may not push the dial tremendously but it pushes it more without nearly anywhere close to the same negative ramifications.

I think Eddie and the boys can think for themselves on this one and not follow Bruce just because they love Bruce and respect his ideology. Play Raleigh. Make it a rally against the bill too. All the better.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,595
    Yep.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369
    ComeToTX said:

I'm buying one of these to wear to the show.
    http://shop.equalitync.org/product-p/enc-yallmeansallred.htm

Thanks.... Just ordered 2 myself, me and my wife will be wearing them to the concert as well
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    Canceling a show will not accomplish anything. How many people who are going to be at a Pearl Jam concert are going to be in opposition with the majority of what the bands believes, especially one as outspoken as PJ? Why didn't PJ refuse to play shows in the US when Bush was president? If you want to make a difference try to change people's minds, try to get people who believe like you do to become more active in government.

Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    edited April 2016
    and that's why they may play the show. They can turn it into a rally like environment.

That being said, if they choose not to do it, it also makes a big statement. And the fans that are put out, are still far better off than the people being oppressed.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    JP Losman said:

So everyone saying PJ should cancel, please tell me how that will get the bill repealed?

It gets people angry enough to get the state legislators to change their opinion or they get voted out.

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,595
    In gerrymandered districts? Nope. It will be solved by the Supreme Court.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

JP Losman said:

It gets people angry enough to get the state legislators to change their opinion or they get voted out.

How about those who aren't NC residents and traveling to the show?

Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Play the show. Have band/crew stay the night in VA if they had hotel rooms booked. Speak their views at the show. Eddie will have a bigger stage to speak from than any gay person being discriminated against ever would.

And screwing over good people who work at the arena is irresponsible. Like someone said these people have kids to feed and rent to pay. Most arent on salary.
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    edited April 2016
    i'm just gonna leave this here for y'all to look at and decide for yourselves if it factors into this discussion at all or not... http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/on-the-beat-blog/article71057602.html

The performers onstage get all the glory, but the show wouldn’t go on without the efforts of throngs of support people. For the past quarter-century, one of the best in the business was Raleigh resident Tim Quinlan - better-known as Skully - who died of a heart attack on Friday.

Skully left behind a wife and two young children. He would have turned 52 years old on April 20, the day his former employer Pearl Jam is scheduled to play Raleigh’s PNC Arena.

“Yeah, that was his birthday,” said Quinlan’s friend and onetime fellow roadie Jimmy Shoaf. “I’d just called him last week, we were gonna meet that day for lunch and go hang out with the crew. It’s a complete shock.”

Skully was the first roadie Pearl Jam ever hired and worked as a drum and guitar tech during the Seattle grunge band’s initial breakout period, when they went from nightclubs to stadiums almost overnight. He went on to work for other bands including Hootie & the Blowfish. In recent years, he worked for Live Nation at shows throughout the Carolinas.

Friday, Quinlan was at Raleigh’s Walnut Creek Amphitheater when he began suffering chest pains and called 911. But it was too late.

That night, Pearl Jam was in Florida playing the opening date of their North American tour. The band paid onstage tribute to Skully during one of the encores, with frontman Eddie Vedder talking about Skully’s efforts on the band’s behalf during “the first half, the tougher half.”

That served as an introduction to the elegiac “Light Years”:

I undeciphered tricks at the bar

But now you’re gone, I haven’t figured out why

I’ve come up with riddles and jokes about war

I’ve figured out numbers and what they’re for

I’ve understood feelings and i’ve understood words

But how could you be taken away?...

Post edited by dangerboy on

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    As a fan of Springsteen, I'm glad he canceled his show, I'm glad he stood up for something he believed in, and I'm glad he was willing to take a financial hit to show his support for people being discriminated against. Springsteen's decision didn't change the law, but it did bring more awareness to the law and the issue.

It made me proud to be a Springsteen fan.

As a fan of Pearl Jam, I'm interested to learn the band's decision about the NC show and read the band's public statement ... if they release one.
    "I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,735

As a fan of Springsteen, I'm glad he canceled his show, I'm glad he stood up for something he believed in, and I'm glad he was willing to take a financial hit

Oh yeah that's a real big financial hit he's taking. Dude could probably buy North Carolina if he wanted to.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Plenty of these artists are rich, not all are taking a stand. Springsteen makes more money on this tour if he just kept his mouth shut. Bruce opted not to.
    "I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465

As a fan of Springsteen, I'm glad he canceled his show, I'm glad he stood up for something he believed in, and I'm glad he was willing to take a financial hit

Oh yeah that's a real big financial hit he's taking. Dude could probably buy North Carolina if he wanted to.
    Bruce has stood up for the little guy his entire career.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    edited April 2016
    Dissolved into the bells of the lightning
    Tolling for the rebel, tolling for the rake
    Tolling for the luckless, the abandoned an' forsakened
    Tolling for the outcast, burnin' constantly at stake

http://youtu.be/G3onnJuBS18
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149

JP Losman said:

So this statement shows you don't really understand the state legislature in NC. Charlotte was actually being very progressive by being pro-active and passing a law that benefits transgenders and then the state passed HB2 based on districts that are extremely red and where those candidates won by 90% of the vote often or even uncontested. We are looking at 2022 for this to change, when the lines get to be redrawn again. The people in those districts love the law and are not negatively impacted enough by the economic hits that these cancellations cause. Greensboro, Raleigh, Asheville, Charlotte are all heavily against HB2. But to repeal the law based on actions from the legislature requiring voting out current members is unattainable for majority of NC citizens as you can only vote in your district.
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    This law will have to be taken to task by the Supreme Court I guess. So this may take a while but it will be overturned. We shall overcome.
  • Options
    I'm going to the Against Me! show in Durham in May. For you non-North Carolinians, Durham is Raleigh's neighbor to the West.

Rich rock stars like Springsteen or Buffet or possibly Pearl Jam can posture, but I am curious to see how the band Against Me! reacts to the (discriminatory) HB2 law enacted in N.C. You know, seeing as the band's singer is transgender and their most recent album has the word "transgender" right in the title.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited April 2016
    I believe boycotts in opposition of legislation have worked very well in the past. Didn't Georgia or something withdraw a similar kind of proposal because some corporations said they'd boycott the state? I feel like Springsteen and Adams probably hope for other artists to get on board. If enough of them do that could have an effect, no? It's all about $$$$. Negative publicity isn't a non-issue either.
    FWIW, this issue has become a big news story in Canada. It's been on the morning and evening news 3 days in a row. That kind of attention means something IMO, no matter what government you're talking about (I don't mean Canadian attention, lol. I just mean, basically, that if it's got ongoing coverage here, then it means it's getting even more attention in the US). There would be 0% attention if either of the artists hadn't cancelled, and instead just blabbed about the issue on stage and got their fans to cheer ...
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    That's not true. There was plenty of attention before Springsteen canceled.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369
    PJ_Soul said:

I believe boycotts in opposition of legislation have worked very well in the past. Didn't Georgia or something withdraw a similar kind of proposal because some corporations said they'd boycott the state? I feel like Springsteen and Adams probably hope for other artists to get on board. If enough of them do that could have an effect, no? It's all about $$$$. Negative publicity isn't a non-issue either.
    FWIW, this issue has become a big news story in Canada. It's been on the morning and evening news 3 days in a row. That kind of attention means something IMO, no matter what government you're talking about (I don't mean Canadian attention, lol. I just mean, basically, that if it's got ongoing coverage here, then it means it's getting even more attention in the US). There would be 0% attention if either of the artists hadn't cancelled, and instead just blabbed about the issue on stage and got their fans to cheer ...

Georgia and Arizona withdrew the proposals for fear of loss of hosting the Super Bowl.
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,012
    MayDay10 said:

Its a crummy move IMO. Punishes fans. Not the politicians and the 'evangelical' South.

Play the show. Say something outspoken there... and declare during the show that this is it until they fix this shit. Get out and vote

this
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    CapnBob said:

PJ_Soul said:

Georgia and Arizona withdrew the proposals for fear of loss of hosting the Super Bowl.
    And I believe because several companies threatened to relocate our of the state.
    So there you go. Boycotts work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    inmytree1380inmytree1380 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Posts: 155
    I get what Bruce is trying to do here, but I think MayDay10 is right: boycotting the show is not punishing local politicians; however, it is punishing local stagehands, waiters and bartenders at restaurants and bars around the arena, all arena workers, etc. I see it as, being a politically active band, they have platform to share their views. They should use the concert to shed some light on the matter, donate the money from the Vitalogy Health Fund to local groups and organizations who are fighting this hatred, and refuse to ever set foot into the state again if things don't change. Rally the masses to get out and vote.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II