Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    ehbacon said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Ran today so I could post here. It wasn't great, but I did it.

running sucks. In my experience with training for the past couple of years, once you get to 3 miles everything is fine. That's when you start to get comfortable running.
    Totally agree. I like to time myself for 5ks (3.1 miles)
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    FoxyRedLa said:

Do children count rr?

Foxy,if you can work kidde curls ,baby presses and of course the baby squat and diaper bag lunges into your daily routine then sure.but we need multiple sets and a quality rep count.lol
    Haiku,check your water/liquid intake.It may be a cramp if it goes away that quick.Try hydrating the night before a run.It will help.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Eat a banana at breakfast to avoid cramps, drink chocolate milk after a run to help muscle and bone healing
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    edited February 2016
    "Morning runs suck," has the same energy and tone as "homework sucks." Am I right? There have been times when I liked homework. I just don't remember them. :)

Ran today. Looking forward to tomorrow.

BTW, thanks for the footnotes!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    rr165892 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Do children count rr?

Foxy,if you can work kidde curls ,baby presses and of course the baby squat and diaper bag lunges into your daily routine then sure.but we need multiple sets and a quality rep count.lol
    Ok. Good point. I haven't gotten out much with my young one to play in the snow since I am also busy entertaining my infant. Should get out much more once spring hits!

I'm gone to work 12 hours a day with my drive time so when I get home I hit the ground running again with dinner bath time homework ect. It's been suggested to walk in place so I'm going to try to remember this and incorporate it into my day.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited February 2016
    FoxyRedLa said:

rr165892 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Do children count rr?

Ok. Good point. I haven't gotten out much with my young one to play in the snow since I am also busy entertaining my infant. Should get out much more once spring hits!

I'm gone to work 12 hours a day with my drive time so when I get home I hit the ground running again with dinner bath time homework ect. It's been suggested to walk in place so I'm going to try to remember this and incorporate it into my day.
    Been there A couple times myself,Haha

You are working hard with all that as it is.
    Maybe something quick ,light and effective you could incorporate into that hectic schedule.
    like a 20 min oasis of you time maybe ?
    Yoga stretches,abs,some body weight moves,etc.
    Short run, just wanted to get my heart rate up. Checked the box.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Had a great workout with my trainer. PurMotion curls and triceps pushdowns after some other lifting is tough!

Got to get some new shoes though. Getting shin splints any time I do any cardio.

Had a great workout with my trainer. PurMotion curls and triceps pushdowns after some other lifting is tough!

Got to get some new shoes though. Getting shin splints any time I do any cardio.

Swimming is your answer
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We had a 60 degree sunny day here so I moved a truck sized pile of wood, cleared a truck sized patch of briar, and fixed my tailgate in 2 hours. I finished with some baby squats to Corduroy, and I have a work meeting at 4:30 AM on an off day, so I guess I'd better go for a jog at the lake before the sun comes up.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    Started last week great but by the end of the week, life started snowballing (like it always seems to around here) and the end of the week wasn't so great (not horrible, but not great). Got back on the wagon to start this week out. I actually jumped on the scale to see how much weight I had gained back (from my previous weight loss) and it wasn't as horrid as I thought so that has encouraged me to keep it up. Proud of myself for trying to stick to it and not giving up. . .

I go through phases of disliking exercise and I was told set alarm for 5am, with exercise clothes all ready, get up dressed and exercise don't think about it. Then no matter how crazy your day gets you've already exercised and it definitely works for me.
    If I get up later I tend not to get around to exercising.

I have to have everything ready in the morning too or there's a 99.9% chance it ain't gonna happen that day! :smile:
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777

Started last week great but by the end of the week, life started snowballing (like it always seems to around here) and the end of the week wasn't so great (not horrible, but not great). Got back on the wagon to start this week out. I actually jumped on the scale to see how much weight I had gained back (from my previous weight loss) and it wasn't as horrid as I thought so that has encouraged me to keep it up. Proud of myself for trying to stick to it and not giving up. . .

I go through phases of disliking exercise and I was told set alarm for 5am, with exercise clothes all ready, get up dressed and exercise don't think about it. Then no matter how crazy your day gets you've already exercised and it definitely works for me.

I have to have everything ready in the morning too or there's a 99.9% chance it ain't gonna happen that day! :smile:
    Well done keep up that great motivation and continue getting up early :)
    Ms. Haiku said:

"Morning runs suck," has the same energy and tone as "homework sucks." Am I right? There have been times when I liked homework. I just don't remember them. :)

Ran today. Looking forward to tomorrow.

BTW, thanks for the footnotes!

Your motivation for today :)

guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2016/1/australia-day-aussie-man-beats-life-threatening-brain-tumour-and-breaks-multiple-413786

Hope you enjoy this story, it's amazing what people are capable of.

That's all it really comes down to, sticktuitiveness! Keep up the good work!
    Even at 5AM I couldn't resist the siren call of a fresh donut from the best local bakery :cow:

I did have a nice little 2 mile jog after, and when I started burping up the taste of fryer grease I came to regret the donut in a more profound way lol
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    My pants are toying with me :lol: some fit loose some snug the same pair will flip flop back n forth fit don't fit haha its maddenind!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited February 2016
    I didn't run today, and people were crazy loud at the cafe, I screwed up a vine video and filmed the ceiling, I forgot my keys at home, and the metro was about a half hour late. I'm running tomorrow.
    edited February 2016
    rgambs said:

Even at 5AM I couldn't resist the siren call of a fresh donut from the best local bakery :cow:

I did have a nice little 2 mile jog after, and when I started burping up the taste of fryer grease I came to regret the donut in a more profound way lol

Fresh donut siren calls are kind of sacred - we must respond. Am I right?
    ehbacon said:

Swimming is your answer
    But I tend to sink lol.

ehbacon said:

Swimming is your answer
    But I tend to sink lol.
    First laugh I had today! Thank you, markymark550 :)
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Fresh donut siren calls are kind of sacred - we must respond. Am I right?
    I can't ever recall a time when I didn't lol
    Ms. Haiku said:

ehbacon said:

Swimming is your answer
    But I tend to sink lol.
    You're welcome! Always glad to make someone laugh, even if it is at my expense.
    edited February 2016

Ms. Haiku said:

ehbacon said:

Swimming is your answer
    But I tend to sink lol.
    biking + calf stretches is your answer. If you are gonna run, do some ankle rotations and calf stretches before and after to prevent shin splints.

Edit: trust me, I know the hardships of shinsplints.

This cross country season I had them so bad that after I ran my entire legs would shake, and I would just have to sit there in pain and ice them until they numbed. I couldn't walk up or down stairs, and could really barely walk at all. Was absolutely terrible.

Why I got shin splints:

I trained on old shoes for a long time
    I was lazy with my stretches
    I ran on very hard surfaces for a long time
    I did not ice my shins after runs for a long time..
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    I ran and I remembered my keys. Life is good.
    ehbacon said:

Ms. Haiku said:

ehbacon said:

Swimming is your answer
    But I tend to sink lol.
    biking + calf stretches is your answer. If you are gonna run, do some ankle rotations and calf stretches before and after to prevent shin splints.

Edit: trust me, I know the hardships of shinsplints.

This cross country season I had them so bad that after I ran my entire legs would shake, and I would just have to sit there in pain and ice them until they numbed. I couldn't walk up or down stairs, and could really barely walk at all. Was absolutely terrible.

Why I got shin splints:

I trained on old shoes for a long time
    I was lazy with my stretches
    I ran on very hard surfaces for a long time
    I did not ice my shins after runs for a long time..
    I appreciate the advice. Truth be told, I could stand to do more stretching before cardio. However, I'm 99% certain that it's my shoes causing them. I didn't have any change in my routine and they just popped up out of the blue. Got to looking at my shoes and I probably should have replaced them about 6 months ago.
    I stumble out of bed and jog before I am awake enough to think twice lol no time for stretching
    rgambs said:

I stumble out of bed and jog before I am awake enough to think twice lol no time for stretching

Do a few stretches, and a few minutes if walking to warm up before you start jogging, then increase the rate. I am the same as you I stumble out of bed, and start exercising before I can talk myself out of it.
    Hope you are feeling less sore today, ice is your best friend.
    Stretch afterwards too, and that will cause less soreness. Do you have a roller? They are great for tight muscles.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I fell off the wagon, we went away for a weekend with friends and I gained some weight, getting back to losing it...(dungeness crab is awesome, just not marinated in butter).

My shoulder has been bothering me for a while, like I can feel a knot in my shoulder blade and down the side of my bicep laterally (not the front or back), and I've been trying to stretch to loosen it up, still bothersome. Can't remember tweaking it, sometimes when I am trying to put stuff up on a high shelf I hear it pop, so I don't know if I maybe tore something the last time I did that.
    Going to try to start again next week.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Start today....even if it's only a walk and eating healthier at your next meal. You'll feel better :)