Paris Attacks

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

153 people are dead. Stop bickering your partisan bullshit for one second.

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Perhaps before we grab pitchforks and form a mob to round up the evil refugees we should wait for a shred of verified Intel...
    Nahhhh bootlegger and dirtyfrank are right, we should jump to conclusions and make broad assumptions, that's the right move. Let's not even wait a few hours, let's use this as an opportunity to push our agenda while the dust is literally still settling.

First, clearly it is some sort of Islamic radicalism be it Al Qaeda, ISIS, or some one off Islamic militant cell. i have not said anything about nuking anyone or killing anyone. I have not said to let the refugees die in Syria. You make me out to be a bad person when damnit I just want to make sure Europe stays safe. Ya know what, there are plenty of people that agree with me, hence the border fences being built in Eastern Europe and plenty of Europeans ready to kick out liberal politicians.

I would love to visit a stable Syria and see the ancient ruins and experience the culture there. I am not anti-Muslim just don't think a wave of tens of millions of refugees will be good for Europe in the long run.
    I find it to be distasteful and disrespectful to jump to blaming refugees when you have zero evidence and the bodies are practically still warm.
    There will be time enough to talk about who to blame and what to do next when there are at least a few details available.
    Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, IMHO.
    It is okay if you don't want to have discussion. You don't need to come to the message board. This is the largest mass migration of people since WW2 and there is not a word of it on this message board and it is ludicrous to think that there won't be any negative consequences. The solution to the Middle East problem is not mass migration to Europe.

This Paris attack isn't the first terrorist attack in Europe, but one of many. It isn't like we need the facts right now about this Paris attack to confirm whether there are Islamic terrorists in Europe. This attack could have been staged by the Girl Scouts but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue in Europe with Islamic extremism and large, large disenfranchisement of Muslim youth (I.e., French and Swedish riots in previous years). If you can't see that Europe is changing significantly then I don't know what to tell you. If you also can't recognize that there are millions of Europeans that don't agree with the immigration of refugees and if you cannot empathise with their position then YOU should be ashamed.

You think that German town of 100 that took in 750 refugees will ever be the same? Do you care about those 100 people at all?
    There was a huge thread about the refugees. Got so heated it got closed last month. Another one was made, but people realized they couldn't discuss it civilly so the second thread died.

Seems to me like at least some of these terrorists were home grown in Europe and eother way there is nothing siggesting any have something to do with refugees.
    Closing our hearts to people in need, to people who are running from the same people we are condemning today, will NOT stop attacks like these, but will make us worse people.
    I am DISGUSTED that so many people are using this as a reason to turn their backs on desperate, innocent people who are victims right along with the people who were attacked in Paris yesterday.
    Yup. The refugees are running from these same people.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited November 2015

Couldn't attend the show as we were supposed to, had three close friends in the concert hall, two are alive and well, can't get news from the third.

We have a proverb here that says "violence is the weaks' mean of expression" Let's be strong and have no fear, love.

Jeremie

Jeremie,

I can't even imagine what you are going through right now.

My heart aches for you, your friends and your countrymen.

My heart aches for the whole world.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2015

Couldn't attend the show as we were supposed to, had three close friends in the concert hall, two are alive and well, can't get news from the third.

We have a proverb here that says "violence is the weaks' mean of expression" Let's be strong and have no fear, love.

Jeremie

That was a good saying, "violence is the weaks mean of expression"

I really hope your friend is safe, this is so unbelievably horrible.
    I hope France can feel the support from the rest of the world we are all with you.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    One of the attackers was turned away trying to get into the stadium and detonated his bomb trying to get away from security... Jesus this could have been even worse
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited November 2015
    Cal,As always on point with the religion thing.

Tristelune,many good thoughts are being sent your way.Stay strong.

Drowned,good article.Anyone with a brain gets that this is fundamentalist jihadists.My fear is that those who don't get it will take out frustrations on regular Muslims.Thats the backlash to keep an eye on.

Dan-O I do agree that those who are complacent and in denial will regret it.

Gambsy, liked the pitchfork reference.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Thank you for posting this. I hope people take the time to read it. And I echo this previous post:

HughFreakingDillon said:
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    One of the victims is from CA and went to Cal State Long Beach.

Thoughts and prayers to France and those who know the victims.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Given that the Middle East region only accounts for what, 10%? of the Muslim world, the anti-Islam sentiment in the US is going to get sickeningly bad. It is already pretty disgusting, but the next few weeks are going to be a good time to stay away from social media.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Enkidu said:

Thank you for posting this. I hope people take the time to read it. And I echo this previous post:

HughFreakingDillon said:
    No prob.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    rgambs said:

Given that the Middle East region only accounts for what, 10%? of the Muslim world, the anti-Islam sentiment in the US is going to get sickeningly bad. It is already pretty disgusting, but the next few weeks are going to be a good time to stay away from social media.

its is disgusting and the reasons are even worse to fathom
    it makes me wonder of those who in those countries are in agreement
    with their actions and are watching on and thinking of doing similar
    things
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Perhaps before we grab pitchforks and form a mob to round up the evil refugees we should wait for a shred of verified Intel...
    Nahhhh bootlegger and dirtyfrank are right, we should jump to conclusions and make broad assumptions, that's the right move. Let's not even wait a few hours, let's use this as an opportunity to push our agenda while the dust is literally still settling.

First, clearly it is some sort of Islamic radicalism be it Al Qaeda, ISIS, or some one off Islamic militant cell. i have not said anything about nuking anyone or killing anyone. I have not said to let the refugees die in Syria. You make me out to be a bad person when damnit I just want to make sure Europe stays safe. Ya know what, there are plenty of people that agree with me, hence the border fences being built in Eastern Europe and plenty of Europeans ready to kick out liberal politicians.

I would love to visit a stable Syria and see the ancient ruins and experience the culture there. I am not anti-Muslim just don't think a wave of tens of millions of refugees will be good for Europe in the long run.
    I find it to be distasteful and disrespectful to jump to blaming refugees when you have zero evidence and the bodies are practically still warm.
    There will be time enough to talk about who to blame and what to do next when there are at least a few details available.
    It is okay if you don't want to have discussion. You don't need to come to the message board. This is the largest mass migration of people since WW2 and there is not a word of it on this message board and it is ludicrous to think that there won't be any negative consequences. The solution to the Middle East problem is not mass migration to Europe.

This Paris attack isn't the first terrorist attack in Europe, but one of many. It isn't like we need the facts right now about this Paris attack to confirm whether there are Islamic terrorists in Europe. This attack could have been staged by the Girl Scouts but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue in Europe with Islamic extremism and large, large disenfranchisement of Muslim youth (I.e., French and Swedish riots in previous years). If you can't see that Europe is changing significantly then I don't know what to tell you. If you also can't recognize that there are millions of Europeans that don't agree with the immigration of refugees and if you cannot empathise with their position then YOU should be ashamed.

You think that German town of 100 that took in 750 refugees will ever be the same? Do you care about those 100 people at all?
    There was a huge thread about the refugees. Got so heated it got closed last month. Another one was made, but people realized they couldn't discuss it civilly so the second thread died.

Seems to me like at least some of these terrorists were home grown in Europe and eother way there is nothing siggesting any have something to do with refugees.
    Closing our hearts to people in need, to people who are running from the same people we are condemning today, will NOT stop attacks like these, but will make us worse people.
    I am DISGUSTED that so many people are using this as a reason to turn their backs on desperate, innocent people who are victims right along with the people who were attacked in Paris yesterday.
    http://news.yahoo.com/two-men-linked-paris-attacks-registered-migrants-greece-195255102.html

Well, turns out two of the terrorists were migrants. A human with lung cancer isn't saved by moving the cancer to the colon.

People are talking about being partisan in this thread. I don't think anyone is being partisan. One side wants to let in migrants unchecked and the other side doesn't want it because it will and does lead to more terrorism in Europe. Both sides have legitimate opinions. It isn't partisan.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Jeremie

Jeremie, I hope you have heard from your third friend by now. Stay strong.
    ELITIST FUK
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    JWPearl said:

rgambs said:

its is disgusting and the reasons are even worse to fathom
    it makes me wonder of those who in those countries are in agreement
    with their actions and are watching on and thinking of doing similar
    things
    Fuckin A!!! Never doubt your scooby- sence...especially if you live in a big urban area.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Enkidu said:

HughFreakingDillon said:
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

http://news.yahoo.com/two-men-linked-paris-attacks-registered-migrants-greece-195255102.html

Well, turns out two of the terrorists were migrants. A human with lung cancer isn't saved by moving the cancer to the colon.

People are talking about being partisan in this thread. I don't think anyone is being partisan. One side wants to let in migrants unchecked and the other side doesn't want it because it will and does lead to more terrorism in Europe. Both sides have legitimate opinions. It isn't partisan.
    I'm sure I can speak for everybody here when I say that nobody wants to let in refugees unchecked. We practice due diligence but continue to take in who we can, as promptly as we can.
  • dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I'm sure I can speak for everybody here when I say that nobody wants to let in refugees unchecked. We practice due diligence but continue to take in who we can, as promptly as we can.
    Unless someone around these parts can honestly say that they will accept one of these refugees and have them sitting next to them at the dinner table tomorrow they must surely know that a proper security screening can not be promised in that short of time.
    edited November 2015
    What makes that article great? It clearly comes from a viewpoint of open borders and an annihilation of sovereign nations. If people who call on closing the borders are called opportunists right now than so are the ones who want to open them.

This article is written like a child who lives in a world of candy and rainbows. It discusses no consequences that may be negative like how many refugees are terrorists ( like the ones yesterday inParis who came in as refugees) or the destabilitization of countries and cities because now you have millions and millions of Muslims who aren't really known to assimilate all that much. The article makes a wild assumption that the US allowing millions of Muslims come into the country will make Muslims like or us. To me it sounds like the USA would just be falling into a trap.

Terrorist: "We need to attack the USA but can't get in the country. It would be great if one day they just opened their borders to us, like that would ever happen. What country would be crazy enough to just let anyone come in?"
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    edited December 2015
    rgambs said:

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I think this applies to the AMT

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/opinion/the-exploitation-of-paris.html

Can’t we wait until we’ve resolved the body count? Until the identities of all of the victims have been determined and their families informed? Until the sirens stop wailing? Until the blood is dry?

Or must we instantly bootstrap obliquely related agendas and utterly unconnected grievances to the carnage in Paris, responding to it with an unsavory opportunism instead of a respectful grief?

edited December 2015
    dignin said:

Can’t we wait until we’ve resolved the body count? Until the identities of all of the victims have been determined and their families informed? Until the sirens stop wailing? Until the blood is dry?

Or must we instantly bootstrap obliquely related agendas and utterly unconnected grievances to the carnage in Paris, responding to it with an unsavory opportunism instead of a respectful grief?

dignin said:

How is a discusson on Syrian mass migration in Europe utterly unconnected to a terrorist attack carried out by Syrian migrants in Paris?

Why can't we have this discussion on AMT? What harm is being done by having this discussion right now? Is it because the attack doesn't fit the narrative of open borders that we can't talk about it right now? I didn't see any liberals being quiet about gun control after Sandy Hook. Nobody was saying 'let's wait a few months to have a discussion on guns'.

That NY Times article comes out of an agenda just like most articles.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

dignin said:

How is a discusson on Syrian mass migration in Europe utterly unconnected to a terrorist attack carried out by Syrian migrants in Paris?

Why can't we have this discussion on AMT? What harm is being done by having this discussion right now? Is it because the attack doesn't fit the narrative of open borders that we can't talk about it right now? I didn't see any liberals being quiet about gun control after Sandy Hook. Nobody was saying 'let's wait a few months to have a discussion on guns'.

That NY Times article comes out of an agenda just like most articles.
    It should be discussed now. I don't see why we can't discuss while the bodies are counted and families informed. I also don't see what's wrong with France closing its borders right now. It's not like that's a permanent thing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • What makes that article great? It clearly comes from a viewpoint of open borders and an annihilation of sovereign nations. If people who call on closing the borders are called opportunists right now than so are the ones who want to open them.

This article is written like a child who lives in a world of candy and rainbows. It discusses no consequences that may be negative like how many refugees are terrorists ( like the ones yesterday inParis who came in as refugees) or the destabilitization of countries and cities because now you have millions and millions of Muslims who aren't really known to assimilate all that much. The article makes a wild assumption that the US allowing millions of Muslims come into the country will make Muslims like or us. To me it sounds like the USA would just be falling into a trap.

Terrorist: "We need to attack the USA but can't get in the country. It would be great if one day they just opened their borders to us, like that would ever happen. What country would be crazy enough to just let anyone come in?"
    Have you ever been to the Middle East? I have. Do you know why some act the way they do? I do.

Kindness goes a long way. I worked with people that didn't like Americans and after they got to know me they ALL said that they would give Americans a chance now, so it's not all a pipe dream and from that point I get it. Also I do agree that there has to be some sort of checks on the refugees because not everyone has good intentions.

If we do turn our backs on these people isn't that like sending them off to death?

Intelligence should be shared by ALL nations and do background checks.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

What makes that article great? It clearly comes from a viewpoint of open borders and an annihilation of sovereign nations. If people who call on closing the borders are called opportunists right now than so are the ones who want to open them.

Have you ever been to the Middle East? I have. Do you know why some act the way they do? I do.

Kindness goes a long way. I worked with people that didn't like Americans and after they got to know me they ALL said that they would give Americans a chance now, so it's not all a pipe dream and from that point I get it. Also I do agree that there has to be some sort of checks on the refugees because not everyone has good intentions.

If we do turn our backs on these people isn't that like sending them off to death?

Tempo, I like to to think that this works in reverse too, for those Americans (including the people on here) who don't like Muslims.
    Nice to see humanity being all human, eh? :smile:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435

I have not been to the Middle East. I agree the West is not innocent in the cause of the turmoil there.

Certainly I don't want to send these people to their deaths. But what about the 129 people that died in Paris yesterday in part by a Syrian migrant? It is just a start (more of a continuation actually). I just don't think migration of millions and millions of Syrians is going to be a good thing for Europe in the long run. I don't see it based on how things are going in Europe right now. I don't see how millions and millions of more refugees will make things better in Europe. It's just different now. Nobody expected Italian immigrants to come to the US in the 1800 and 1900's and blow up concert halls. Nobody expects Latino immigrants to come to the US in 2015 and blow up concert halls. Nobody is surprised by what happened in Paris yesterday.

I must sound like a hater but really I would open the doors for anyone that wants to contribute and assimilate to the society they are moving to. I would give every homeless person that stops me $20 if I thought they would use it for food instead of cigarettes and beer.

But one thing on the article. It talked about giving the refugees jobs. Where are those jobs going to come from? Technology is wiping out jobs by the decade. I guess that is why I think that article is a little soft.