Options

Paris Attacks

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    ldent42 said:

What makes that article great? It clearly comes from a viewpoint of open borders and an annihilation of sovereign nations. If people who call on closing the borders are called opportunists right now than so are the ones who want to open them.

This article is written like a child who lives in a world of candy and rainbows. It discusses no consequences that may be negative like how many refugees are terrorists ( like the ones yesterday inParis who came in as refugees) or the destabilitization of countries and cities because now you have millions and millions of Muslims who aren't really known to assimilate all that much. The article makes a wild assumption that the US allowing millions of Muslims come into the country will make Muslims like or us. To me it sounds like the USA would just be falling into a trap.

Terrorist: "We need to attack the USA but can't get in the country. It would be great if one day they just opened their borders to us, like that would ever happen. What country would be crazy enough to just let anyone come in?"
    Have you ever been to the Middle East? I have. Do you know why some act the way they do? I do.

Kindness goes a long way. I worked with people that didn't like Americans and after they got to know me they ALL said that they would give Americans a chance now, so it's not all a pipe dream and from that point I get it. Also I do agree that there has to be some sort of checks on the refugees because not everyone has good intentions.

If we do turn our backs on these people isn't that like sending them off to death?

Intelligence should be shared by ALL nations and do background checks.

Tempo, I like to to think that this works in reverse too, for those Americans (including the people on here) who don't like Muslims.
    Nice to see humanity being all human, eh? :smile:
    I've met a lot of Muslims that are great people. I just have issues with letting in millions of immigrants when at the same time you know you are allowing thousands of terrorists in at the same time. The leaders are basically sentencing a small part of their population to death. If these leaders are okay with some death of their citizens, maybe they should just put some boots on the ground and put up a fight. Easy for me to say as I'm not military age.
  • Options
    dignin said:

I think this applies to the AMT

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/opinion/the-exploitation-of-paris.html

Can’t we wait until we’ve resolved the body count? Until the identities of all of the victims have been determined and their families informed? Until the sirens stop wailing? Until the blood is dry?

Or must we instantly bootstrap obliquely related agendas and utterly unconnected grievances to the carnage in Paris, responding to it with an unsavory opportunism instead of a respectful grief?

Why are you critical of people discussing news in real time? I never knew there was a moratorium on tragedies.

I think it's flippant to suggest people are disrespectful or insensitive because they have taken to the online communities they typically engage with to lament such a horrific event- suggesting instead that they are salivating to tackle the topic and almost grateful for it.

Applies to the MT except for you, right?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

Can’t we wait until we’ve resolved the body count? Until the identities of all of the victims have been determined and their families informed? Until the sirens stop wailing? Until the blood is dry?

Or must we instantly bootstrap obliquely related agendas and utterly unconnected grievances to the carnage in Paris, responding to it with an unsavory opportunism instead of a respectful grief?

How is a discusson on Syrian mass migration in Europe utterly unconnected to a terrorist attack carried out by Syrian migrants in Paris?

Why can't we have this discussion on AMT? What harm is being done by having this discussion right now? Is it because the attack doesn't fit the narrative of open borders that we can't talk about it right now? I didn't see any liberals being quiet about gun control after Sandy Hook. Nobody was saying 'let's wait a few months to have a discussion on guns'.

That NY Times article comes out of an agenda just like most articles.
    For one, stop calling them migrants. They are refugees.

Secondly, I didn't say we shouldn't discuss refugees. If you look back through some of the comments here.....these attacks are being tied to a bunch of unrelated shit. BDS movement for one. And for the record you were tying this to refugees before you had any evidence of it, fitting it to your agenda. You maybe right now, but at the time you had no idea.

Thirdly, why do you keep going on about us "liberals" wanting to open our borders unchecked? Not one person here is calling for that. Your making that shit up to paint us "liberals" as extreme.

I suggest you take the time to go read the refugee thread....and maybe post there if you feel so inclined.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

dignin said:

Why are you critical of people discussing news in real time? I never knew there was a moratorium on tragedies.

I think it's flippant to suggest people are disrespectful or insensitive because they have taken to the online communities they typically engage with to lament such a horrific event- suggesting instead that they are salivating to tackle the topic and almost grateful for it.

Did I say I wasn't part of the AMT? Thanks tips!

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

How is a discusson on Syrian mass migration in Europe utterly unconnected to a terrorist attack carried out by Syrian migrants in Paris?

Why can't we have this discussion on AMT? What harm is being done by having this discussion right now? Is it because the attack doesn't fit the narrative of open borders that we can't talk about it right now? I didn't see any liberals being quiet about gun control after Sandy Hook. Nobody was saying 'let's wait a few months to have a discussion on guns'.

why do you keep going on about us "liberals" wanting to open our borders unchecked? Not one person here is calling for that. Your making that shit up to paint us "liberals" as extreme.
    Libs are for settling as many as possible in prompt order but won't admit that it takes time to properly screen an individual as "clean".
    "Hurry up settle those refugees"! claim the libs
    "Just don't tell me how".
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

dignin said:

dignin said:

why do you keep going on about us "liberals" wanting to open our borders unchecked? Not one person here is calling for that. Your making that shit up to paint us "liberals" as extreme.
    Libs are for settling as many as possible in prompt order but won't admit that it takes time to properly screen an individual as "clean".
    no one is saying that.

No one is ever saying that borders should be open without any form of security.

If anything these liberal bogeymen you speak of are saying that it would be nice if the hundreds of thousands of non-violent terrorist criminals that have fled Syria et al didn't get punished for the shit that the dirtbag terrorists who snuck in pretending to be refugees have done. Crazy, right?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Secondly, I didn't say we shouldn't discuss refugees. If you look back through some of the comments here.....these attacks are being tied to a bunch of unrelated shit. BDS movement for one. And for the record you were tying this to refugees before you had any evidence of it, fitting it to your agenda. You maybe right now, but at the time you had no idea.

Thirdly, why do you keep going on about us "liberals" wanting to open our borders unchecked? Not one person here is calling for that. Your making that shit up to paint us "liberals" as extreme.

I suggest you take the time to go read the refugee thread....and maybe post there if you feel so inclined.
    I've said refugees plenty of times. In the media you see the term migrants used a lot. Whether I say refugee or migrants I do not intend to have some sort of different meaning.

Actually, when I first started posting I didn't think that fake refugees were part of it. I figured it was people who had lived in France for some time and became radicalized. I started posting about refugees because I feared that some could become terrorists or that some would get radicalized in the future and lead more attacks. The actual events proved that theory correct. I just didn't expect it to come out of this recent wave.

By liberals I am not saying just Americans but also European liberal leaders. Merkel is in favor of no limit on taking in refugees in Germany.

Lastly, you tell me to not post about refugees in a thread about a terrorist attacked performed by refugees. That is utterly ridiculous. I'll go back to college if I want to be in a place where only one viewpoint is allowed.

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

To your second point... I'd say he did have some idea. It might be better to say, 'you were right' than say, 'you got lucky'.

It seems as if a bunch of people are saying things you don't like, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    ldent42 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

no one is saying that.

If anything these liberal bogeymen you speak of are saying that it would be nice if the hundreds of thousands of non-violent terrorist criminals that have fled Syria et al didn't get punished for the shit that the dirtbag terrorists who snuck in pretending to be refugees have done. Crazy, right?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

I posted my previous post and then came across this.

Get f**king real. You're busying yourself: telling people to chill... to go post in other threads... that they're using this event as a platform to push their agendas (while gently pushing yours)... and then some as if you are dad on the MT. And you spout this?

Geezuz, man.
  • Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

Lastly, you tell me to not post about refugees in a thread about a terrorist attacked performed by refugees. That is utterly ridiculous. I'll go back to college if I want to be in a place where only one viewpoint is allowed.

Didn't say that. In fact I said "Secondly, I didn't say we shouldn't discuss refugees" . But you seem to like putting words in other peoples mouths.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Didn't say that. In fact I said "Secondly, I didn't say we shouldn't discuss refugees" . But you seem to like putting words in other peoples mouths.
    You just told me to go post in the refugee thread in your last response to me. Don't act like that wasn't a jab at me to shut down my posting in this thread.
  • Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

Get f**king real. You're busying yourself: telling people to chill... to go post in other threads... that they're using this event as a platform to push their agendas (while gently pushing yours)... and then some as if you are dad on the MT. And you spout this?

Geezuz, man.
    You seem to be taking this personally? May I suggest you try and post about the topic at hand and stop trying to make this about me? If you want to talk to me send a PM my way.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    To get this thread back on topic

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/14/world/paris-attack-victims/index.html

(CNN)In the aftermath of the devastating terror attacks on Paris on Friday, the identities of some of the victims are slowly becoming known.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins told reporters at a news conference Saturday that there have been 129 people killed and 352 wounded.

One of the targets was the Stade de France, where France was playing Germany in an international friendly. France midfielder Lassana Diarra said his cousin, Asta Diakite, died in the attacks, though he did not say where she was killed.

Valentin Ribet was a Paris lawyer and graduate of the London School of Economics and Political Science.
    A Parisian lawyer was also killed, according to the Paris Bar and the London School of Economics. The school said Valentin Ribet graduated in 2014.

Paris victim Lola Salines was at the Bataclan concert hall, her father said.
    Lola Salines, who worked with La Boucherie de Paris, a roller derby team, died in the attacks, according to her father, Georges Salines. He wrote earlier on Twitter that Salines was at the Bataclan theater, where most of the victims were killed.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    To think if those guys didn't stop the train attack, this would have been the second mass murder in France in recent months. Most likely more to follow unless France doesn't drop the hammer.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    ldent42 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

no one is saying that.

Agree. Please stop with the inane "evil libs" crap. This is a terrible attack, this is a terrible, complex problem that no one knows how to fix. I sure don't. Does anybody?
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Geezuz, man.
    You seem to be taking this personally? May I suggest you try and post about the topic at hand and stop trying to make this about me? If you want to talk to me send a PM my way.
    Sorry.

It's not you- you're an excellent individual that makes society better.

I seemed to have taken exception to your tact in this thread. I'll leave it alone.

This event has really bothered me. From the moment I awoke, it feels as if I was hungover. Just pure shittiness.

Cheers.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    And neither do I. I'm sure I could find millions of French people right now who agree with me. Merkel is close to being ousted in Germany. Austria is building a fence on its Slovenian border. Hungary is building a fence. France closed its borders. Sweden and Germany are resuming border checks for the time being.

Last I checked the discussions on AMT do not become national news. Obviously I wouldn't stand on a street corner in Paris saying this stuff to people who are grieving. There are like 25 people posting in this thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Enkidu said:

ldent42 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

no one is saying that.

Agree. Please stop with the inane "evil libs" crap. This is a terrible attack, this is a terrible, complex problem that no one knows how to fix. I sure don't. Does anybody?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You're lumping all questioning the wisdom of a Carte Blanche policy to accepting refugees as gun loving Trump supporters?

Just you and Dignin as the righteous?

Congratulations on being so awesome.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I don't like this "don't politicize the tragedy" talk. Terrorist attacks are political by nature. Someone posted something on FB about it but it had too many big words and I didn't understand it.

Although to be fair, if I were in Paris I'd be screaming at all of us to stfu.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

You just told me to go post in the refugee thread in your last response to me. Don't act like that wasn't a jab at me to shut down my posting in this thread.
    I apologize if that was how that last statement was taken, but that was not my intent. I was genuine in saying you should check out the refugee thread. It is something you seem very interested in and a lot of what we are talking about here was covered in that thread. That is what I was trying to convey. No jab.
  • Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Geezuz, man.
    Sorry.

It's not you- you're an excellent individual that makes society better.

I seemed to have taken exception to your tact in this thread. I'll leave it alone.

This event has really bothered me. From the moment I awoke, it feels as if I was hungover. Just pure shittiness.

Cheers.
    Thanks Thirty.

No ill will on my end here, you know I have great respect for you. We're all a little at our wits end here.

This event does feel more close to home to me because of the concert aspect of it. We have all been in a similar crowd.....it's just so hard to comprehend what it must have been like, just fucking terrible.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    muskydan said:

JWPearl said:

rgambs said:

Given that the Middle East region only accounts for what, 10%? of the Muslim world, the anti-Islam sentiment in the US is going to get sickeningly bad. It is already pretty disgusting, but the next few weeks are going to be a good time to stay away from social media.

its is disgusting and the reasons are even worse to fathom
    it makes me wonder of those who in those countries are in agreement
    with their actions and are watching on and thinking of doing similar
    things
    Fuckin A!!! Never doubt your scooby- sence...especially if you live in a big urban area.
    The terrorists win when you don't live your life because you are in fear. Do I keep my guard up a bit more than I once did? sure, but man the fuck up. Dude, you're a cop. Be a man
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:
    You're lumping all questioning the wisdom of a Carte Blanche policy to accepting refugees as gun loving Trump supporters?

No, we were simply calling for respect and discretion, waiting for the dust to settle before the inevitable politicizing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No, we were simply calling for respect and discretion, waiting for the dust to settle before the inevitable politicizing.
  • Options
    Man bikes grand piano to attacked Paris concert hall, plays Lennon's Imagine
    'He just pulled up and started playing. Everyone suddenly stopped talking'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/piano-man-paris-attacks-1.3319269
  • Options
    dignin said:

Man bikes grand piano to attacked Paris concert hall, plays Lennon's Imagine
    'He just pulled up and started playing. Everyone suddenly stopped talking'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/piano-man-paris-attacks-1.3319269

Touching for sure.
    But it means fuck all to the people who are planning the next attack.