Options

Paris Attacks

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.
    A world in which a bomb goes off at a funeral in Baghdad, and not one person’s status update says ‘Baghdad’ because not one white person died in that fire

Fuck off you stupid author.
    And yet they have a point, I was certainly asking myself why I was so greatly affected by what happened in Paris when I barely recall the university attack in Kenya in April in which over 160 students were murdered by Islamic terrorists? There seem to be attacks in Iraq every day and to a certain extent I think we've become resigned to that fact. Why is it though that the world doesn't unite in mourning for the victims in Beirut, Kenya and Iraq in the same way as we did for those in Paris?

The answer? I believe it is quite simply because when it happens in a country such as France, a country just like ours, with people we recognise as being just like us and living lives so similar to ours, we realise that it could so easily have been us and it scares the hell out of us. I guess it's sad that we find it so much harder to identify with those of different cultures but we do and I suppose that's why the attacks in Paris had a greater impact on us. I can only speak for myself though and give my own interpretation of why I react in different ways to different events. I certainly believe that for the most part, humans are inherently selfish and our primary focus is instinctively that of survival and self-preservation. Hence, something like this that feels closer to home is bound to have a more profound effect on us.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    Sorry guys, but you didn't expected something like that??..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.
    A world in which a bomb goes off at a funeral in Baghdad, and not one person’s status update says ‘Baghdad’ because not one white person died in that fire

Care to provide an alternate explanation?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    edited November 2015
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

His contention , Its very transparent. Innocents in some parts of the world dont deserve compassion , empathy or sense of moral outrage because they are less than human. They should have had the foresight to be born in the west.

Edit to add what folks seem to miss, the seeming belief a certain member
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

Its very transparent. Innocents in some parts of the world dont deserve compassion , empathy or sense of moral outrage because they are less than human. They should have had the foresight to be born in the west.
    That is ridiculous. Unfortunately in Iraq, Lebanon, and parts of Africa we've grown accustomed to hearing about bombings and attacks, and it just doesn't strike as big a chord. If there were ten bombings in France this year the 10th bombing would not get the press of the first bombing.

Do you honestly think that the USA wouldn't help if they thought there was a clear solution other than just moving an entire country into our borders through immigration? The USA is the only country with a will to fight at this point.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

Its very transparent. Innocents in some parts of the world dont deserve compassion , empathy or sense of moral outrage because they are less than human. They should have had the foresight to be born in the west.
    That is ridiculous. Unfortunately in Iraq, Lebanon, and parts of Africa we've grown accustomed to hearing about bombings and attacks, and it just doesn't strike as big a chord. If there were ten bombings in France this year the 10th bombing would not get the press of the first bombing.

Do you honestly think that the USA wouldn't help if they thought there was a clear solution other than just moving an entire country into our borders through immigration? The USA is the only country with a will to fight at this point.
    In Iraq, Lebanon and Africa we haven't grown accustomed to it. Let's just be honest. They are not white westerners so the majority of people don't care. When it's Muslim on Muslim people don't care. Assad has gassed babies and women. Thousands of them. Where was the outrage from the western world then?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

And yet they have a point, I was certainly asking myself why I was so greatly affected by what happened in Paris when I barely recall the university attack in Kenya in April in which over 160 students were murdered by Islamic terrorists? There seem to be attacks in Iraq every day and to a certain extent I think we've become resigned to that fact. Why is it though that the world doesn't unite in mourning for the victims in Beirut, Kenya and Iraq in the same way as we did for those in Paris?

The answer? I believe it is quite simply because when it happens in a country such as France, a country just like ours, with people we recognise as being just like us and living lives so similar to ours, we realise that it could so easily have been us and it scares the hell out of us. I guess it's sad that we find it so much harder to identify with those of different cultures but we do and I suppose that's why the attacks in Paris had a greater impact on us. I can only speak for myself though and give my own interpretation of why I react in different ways to different events. I certainly believe that for the most part, humans are inherently selfish and our primary focus is instinctively that of survival and self-preservation. Hence, something like this that feels closer to home is bound to have a more profound effect on us.
    100% that is why. the deadliest part of this attack was in a concert hall at a show. it's closer to home because all of us have been at a concert and/or out at a restaurant. no one imagines going to a show and having that happen.

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880

Was there any security outside the venue?
    If there was there is no reporting of them being overtaken.
    How did they get inside?

When is there ever security outside a venue? I go to 20+ concerts a year and think it would be very easy for this to be replicated in the US. It's horrible.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

Are you astute enough to understand that refrenced one of our resident bigots?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    19 different nationalities amongst the victims.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

I'm not sure about this.

I remember Ireland in the 70s and 80s and the IRA: many began to grow numb to explosions in public areas. We didn't think of the Irish as 'less human' and every shocking bit of news we heard was troubling; however, it was kind of the norm with the friction there.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,582
    edited November 2015

Was there any security outside the venue?
    If there was there is no reporting of them being overtaken.
    How did they get inside?

When is there ever security outside a venue? I go to 20+ concerts a year and think it would be very easy for this to be replicated in the US. It's horrible.
    For sure. Super easy. Of course there is no security to speak of. It's not like concerts have armed guards at the doors. It doesn't matter what precautions are taken. There is literally NO way to be protected against attacks like this in most places that we go to. Restaurants, theaters, crowded sidewalks, grocery stores, malls, parks, wherever. No point in being paranoid about it. Just like we've managed to feel safe in our cars even though they are FAR more dangerous to all of us than terrorists are, it benefits us not to worry about things that are out of our own control. The focus needs to be on preventing people from getting to the point where they even want to commit such attacks.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    These guys are definitely brutal and aggressive, but IMO, Al Qaeda was/is a more viable worldwide threat. During the course of the '00s they were actually winning some of the public opinion over the USA.
    ISIS is like a bull in a china shop and deeply pissing off each major world power. We could see NATO joining Russia. It isn't sustainable.
  • Options
    Don't underestimate them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

Edit to add what folks seem to miss, the seeming belief a certain member.

• Options
    Don't drink the Haterade!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XXUZjyZVj6s
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    Nice find PJSoul
  • Options
    ISIS sends “thank you” fruit basket to people who set fire to Peterborough mosque

PETERBOROUGH – ISIS has sent a fruit basket in gratitude to the people responsible for deliberately setting Peterborough’s Masjid Al-Salaam mosque on fire this weekend.

“Honestly, we could not have anticipated such a positive reaction,” gushed an ISIS spokesperson. “To think our actions could reach people halfway around the world, and incite them to take up our cause of spreading fear and hate—it truly is touching. That you managed this while a family was present celebrating the birth of a new baby is very special.”

The fruit basket contained dates, oranges, and a signed photo of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Also included was a personal note that sincerely thanked the arsonists for their help in dividing the world along religious and racial lines.

“Thank you, anonymous hate mongers,” the note read, “for helping to promote our brand of violence with efficiency and grace. You have terrified innocent men, women, and children; you have taken safe spaces away from people who need them; and you have strengthened the ideology of West-vs-East, of Christian-vs-Muslim, that we rely on to sow unrest. It’s such a wonderful surprise to meet Westerners who hate peaceful Muslims as much as we do”

Refusing to buckle to the whims of the arsonists, community members of all creeds responded to the attack by launching a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for repairs. By Monday morning, $48,000 had already been raised to help with the estimated $80,000 in damages.

Given their commitment to being despicable cowards, the arson suspects could not be reached for comment. At press time it is assumed they are proud to be terrorists.

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/2231-isis-sends-thank-you-fruit-basket-to-people-who-set-fire-to-peterborough-mosque
  • Options
    "It’s such a wonderful surprise to meet Westerners who hate peaceful Muslims as much as we do”

Lol.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    ISIS says they are attacking Washington DC next. most experts believe this to be false, that they are capitalizing on the fear they've generated from this attack (and that they aren't capable of such a feat anyway). France air force has already been bombing ISIS buildings in Syria. Republican senators have been suggesting that new immigrants from Syria be required to take a religion test. Obama calls that un-American.

the death toll from 11/13 is now up to 500.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312

ISIS says they are attacking Washington DC next. most experts believe this to be false, that they are capitalizing on the fear they've generated from this attack (and that they aren't capable of such a feat anyway). France air force has already been bombing ISIS buildings in Syria. Republican senators have been suggesting that new immigrants from Syria be required to take a religion test. Obama calls that un-American.

the death toll from 11/13 is now up to 500.

500 from Paris alone ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    i was surprised too, as I thought it was at about 129. I was watching CNN at lunch, and their coverage was all about the paris attacks, and the graphic at the bottom said "500 dead".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ok, they are referring to dead and injured. it said casualties, now that I recall. sorry for the misinformation.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Did anyone hear the idiot yell out, "ISIS sucks!" during the moment of silence in the Seahawks/Cardinals pregame?

Good one, Champ! Of all the profound moments after that horrible event... yours is the one thta has galvanized everyone. Nobody had ever thought about this before: ISIS sucks. Yah yah... you know what... they do.

Just can't shut up, eh? Just need to be noticed, eh? Just a freakin' moron.

Gawd stupid people piss me off. Guy needs a Chadwick slap.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    eddiec said:

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:
    From the article.

In Iraq, Lebanon and Africa we haven't grown accustomed to it. Let's just be honest. They are not white westerners so the majority of people don't care. When it's Muslim on Muslim people don't care. Assad has gassed babies and women. Thousands of them. Where was the outrage from the western world then?
    It's all bullshit. You don't get it??? Why are there not riots in the US when Black people kill other black people even in self defense, but as soon as a white person kills a black person it's racism and time to riot. If white people were killing white people, do you think Muslim people would be outraged. Hell, no. It would be praised and glorified on TV throughout the Middle East...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options

Did anyone hear the idiot yell out, "ISIS sucks!" during the moment of silence in the Seahawks/Cardinals pregame?

Good one, Champ! Of all the profound moments after that horrible event... yours is the one thta has galvanized everyone. Nobody had ever thought about this before: ISIS sucks. Yah yah... you know what... they do.

from what I saw on CNN, the fan actually yelled "muslims suck!", and at the post-game presser, Aaron Rodgers addressed it and said that he was very disappointed to hear a fan yell that out.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

from what I saw on CNN, the fan actually yelled "muslims suck!", and at the post-game presser, Aaron Rodgers addressed it and said that he was very disappointed to hear a fan yell that out.

my bad. talking about two different games.

I think I need more coffee.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Or this one.

http://fusion.net/story/233410/aaron-rodgers-prejudcial-language/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fusion&utm_content=link

Nice response by Rodgers.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I heard today that the hacker group Anonymous is currently working on breaking into IsIs servers to expose them in some form and break encryption.Also that PS4s are being used to communicate in private groups and using gaming to simulate real life situational actions.(Who knew?)

As far as the bombings in "non white areas" that's bullshit that we don't get outraged because no whites are involved.We had some heated convos about The terror attacks in Africa,The kidnapping of the school girls and we all were discussing Beriut as well.I think any time a "Major"Western city is hit ,it will make news.Not rascist.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

I heard today that the hacker group Anonymous is currently working on breaking into IsIs servers to expose them in some form and break encryption.Also that PS4s are being used to communicate in private groups and using gaming to simulate real life situational actions.(Who knew?)

As far as the bombings in "non white areas" that's bullshit that we don't get outraged because no whites are involved.We had some heated convos about The terror attacks in Africa,The kidnapping of the school girls and we all were discussing Beriut as well.I think any time a "Major"Western city is hit ,it will make news.Not rascist.

there is very little coverage, if any, of Beirut. I found out about it through social media. I don't think that "we" are racist. But I think the media is biased in what it covers based on what they believe will have the biggest impact on their ratings.

admittedly, because, as someone else mentioned, it honestly does seem kind of part and parcel for this to happen in a place like that, and it happening in Paris is more shocking, causing more outrage, etc etc.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com