Options

Paris Attacks

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

dignin said:

Man bikes grand piano to attacked Paris concert hall, plays Lennon's Imagine
    'He just pulled up and started playing. Everyone suddenly stopped talking'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/piano-man-paris-attacks-1.3319269

Touching for sure.
    But it means fuck all to the people who are planning the next attack.
    That it means fuck all to some means fuck all to me.

Jesus fucking christ, - Kat and Sea, don't flag me, I'm playing the innocent, passive/aggressive card! - is it possible to try, in the teensiest tiniest way, to chill out a few degrees while others attempt to find some solace amidst this without pulling the "yeah, but" card?

Save it for later.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,695
    edited November 2015
    http://qz.com/550104/muslims-around-the-world-condemn-terrorism-after-the-paris-attacks/

Muslims around the world condemn terrorism after the Paris attacks
    Heather Timmons November 14, 2015

"They don't represent Islam." (Reuters/Tarek Mostafa)
    Update, Nov. 14: In a live address on Saturday morning in France, President Francois Hollande said the Islamic State was responsible for the attacks. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attacks in a statement released on social media, though its lack of specific background information about the attackers suggests the group may not have directly orchestrated them.
    The attacks in Paris that have killed more than 100 people have sparked a cycle of blame and outrage that has become depressingly familiar.
    Not much is known about the terrorists at this point, except for the fact that the ones directly involved are all dead. But early reports that the terrorists were speaking about France’s presence in Syria, that one yelled “Allahu Akbar” before opening fire in a crowded concert hall, and ISIL supporters use of the hashtag #باريس_تشتعل (Paris burns) to spread the news led many to conclude the attackers were Muslim.
    The attacks have started a new round of condemnation of Islam itself from long-time right-wing critics.
    Muslims around the world, from religious leaders and politicians to ordinary people, meanwhile, are condemning the attacks.
    In an official statement, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani called the attacks a “crime against humanity.”
    In the name of the Iranian people, who have themselves been victims of terrorism, I strongly condemn these crimes against humanity and offer my condolences to the grieving French people and government.
    Indonesian president Joko Widodo condemned the “violence that took place in Paris,” and called for more international cooperation to fight terrorism.
    Leaders of Arab states called the attacks immoral and inhumane. Qatar’s foreign minister Khaled al-Attiyah denounced the “heinous attacks,” adding, “these acts, which target stability and security in France are against all human and moral values.” Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Sabah called the attacks “criminal acts of terrorism which run counter to all teachings of holy faith and humanitarian values.” The Saudi foreign ministry called for global cooperation to “root out this dangerous and destructive plague.”
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

dignin said:

Touching for sure.
    My guess is that it wasn't for the people who are planning the next attack, but for those who are trying to find some comfort (however small and however short in duration) in a upsetting situation. Sometimes it is the smallest gestures that affect people most deeply.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2015

dignin said:

Touching for sure.
    Fuck it, edited this as I don't even want to attempt a rational discussion in opposition to this kind of attitude
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    SD48277 said:

dignin said:

Touching for sure.
    My guess is that it wasn't for the people who are planning the next attack, but for those who are trying to find some comfort (however small and however short in duration) in a upsetting situation. Sometimes it is the smallest gestures that affect people most deeply.
    Yep.

And this is also for people trying to find comfort. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/at-metropolitan-opera-support-for-paris-sounds-out-with-singing-of-frances-national-anthem/?smid=fb-share&_r=0
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    the last part of the the link/article I posted above had some ordinary folks commenting on various social media platforms. this is certainly one way to look at a big picture......

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    mickeyrat said:

the last part of the the link/article I posted above had some ordinary folks commenting on various social media platforms. this is certainly one way to look at a big picture......

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

So why does the radical want to increase the amount of muslims in the world?
    1.7 billion is a lot.

edit - at least hezbollah sympathizeshttp://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/ISIS-Threat/Hezbollah-chief-condemns-Paris-attacks-vows-retaliation-for-Beirut-bombings-433091
    to your first prt.... WHAT? want to increase? there ARE that many right now.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

edit - at least hezbollah sympathizeshttp://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/ISIS-Threat/Hezbollah-chief-condemns-Paris-attacks-vows-retaliation-for-Beirut-bombings-433091
    Clearly the radicals want to promote islam.
    Death if you don't convert.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

I've never heard any Muslim propaganda demanding conversion, have you?
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Well then why did you suggest that this is their intention, 'convert or die'?
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Apostasy.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Apostasy.
    You've lost me. Apostasy refers to Muslims abandoning Islam, through conversion or otherwise. Your reference above clearly inferred 'radicals' with a 'convert or die' policy with regard to non-Muslims, no? Could you please clarify the meaning of that post?
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    edited November 2015
    rgambs said:

Perhaps before we grab pitchforks and form a mob to round up the evil refugees we should wait for a shred of verified Intel...
    Nahhhh bootlegger and dirtyfrank are right, we should jump to conclusions and make broad assumptions, that's the right move. Let's not even wait a few hours, let's use this as an opportunity to push our agenda while the dust is literally still settling.

Where did I make broad assumptions. If I wanted to infiltrate an area and there were hundreds of thousands of people going to Europe, I would pack my shit and blend in with the refugees. Does that make me believe that all refugees are members of ISIL? Of course not but there is a risk of admitting hundreds of thousands of refugees. If you cannot admit that the conversation is over.
    Post edited by Dirtie_Frank on
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Apostasy.
    You've lost me. Apostasy refers to Muslims abandoning Islam, through conversion or otherwise. Your reference above clearly inferred 'radicals' with a 'convert or die' policy with regard to non-Muslims, no? Could you please clarify the meaning of that post?
    The radicals think that infidels/crusaders - insert non-muslim faith here are against islam simply by not being part of it.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Apostasy.
    The radicals think that infidels/crusaders - insert non-muslim faith here are against islam simply by not being part of it.
    Well it's a big leap from thinking people are against them to wanting to murder all those people. I'd say a lot of Christians and Jews think that those who don't share their faith oppose it, doesn't mean they want to kill those of other faiths either.

More to the point, your very use of the word 'radicals' implies a specific kind of excessively devout and irrational Muslim i.e. a teeny tiny proportion of Muslims
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

1.7 billion is a lot.

Nope.
    Apostasy.
    More to the point, your very use of the word 'radicals' implies a specific kind of excessively devout and irrational Muslim i.e. a teeny tiny proportion of Muslims
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Humans have made the garden of eden into a toxic dump

And we're just getting started... glad I don't have kids
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    Root cause analysis. That's what we need. Look at the human mind to find out what causes us to pick sides then some giving their lives for this side. Others scream how the other side is wrong. Not just religion but nationality, race, region. Look at fans at sporting events fighting each other. Over a mascot. Fkn college football. Flags. USA USA (added for you Rr :) ) Liberals. Protestants/ Catholics. Nirvana vs PJ.

Watched a great series in net flix called monkey thieves. National geographic.

Followed troop of monkeys and showed how the troops(?) fought and even broke apart when they got too big. Brothers that played together fighting each other to the death.

Think we've just not evolved as much as we think.

leaders know this and use our instincts to further their causes.

So how monkey are you?

Peace.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Who remembers these really nice BDS guys protesting outside Bataclan in 2008

http://youtu.be/-WBDanqAVLw

The club and band were not chosen at random.
  • Options
    It's pretty amazing that when a nutjob with a confederate flag slaughters people the entire south and it's culture is complicit but when a jewish theater and a band who played israel along with its fans are gunned down the BDS movement can just wash it's hands of any responsibility.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    BS44325 said:

So a small group had a 3 minute peaceful protest in front of the Bataclan 7 years ago therefore this attack is tied to the BDS movement? I'm sorry, I'm going to need to see a little more evidence than this.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and link this to the BDS movement. This all looks pretty desperate.

This was the point I was trying to make about some taking this tragedy to try and push an agenda, without any evidence to back it up.
  • Options
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

So a small group had a 3 minute peaceful protest in front of the Bataclan 7 years ago therefore this attack is tied to the BDS movement? I'm sorry, I'm going to need to see a little more evidence than this.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and link this to the BDS movement. This all looks pretty desperate.

This was the point I was trying to make about some taking this tragedy to try and push an agenda, without any evidence to back it up.
    The evidence is right in front of your face. This club and band were not chosen at random. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    "You'll bear the consequences of your actions. This time we came to give a message, next time we won't come to talk." Really peaceful...
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2015
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

The evidence is right in front of your face. This club and band were not chosen at random. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.
    Well of course they were not chosen at random, but the connection you are trying to make is vague at best.

Edit: I needed better translation. I read the post above mine and that gave me pause for thought. Exactly what is their problem and what are they saying about it?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    The problem was/is that the owner of the Bataclan was giving his club to organise gala events to raise funds for the Israeli borders police. This group came to inform that they wouldn't tolerate this anymore. Also, they said that this Mygdal organisation was constantly insulting Palestinians, Muslims and Arabs, without giving any further details. They needed to hide their faces...
    It is not enough to link the attacks to the BDS directly (although the S stands for sanctions), but we cannot say the Bataclan was randomly chosen.
  • Options
    Nanou said:

The problem was/is that the owner of the Bataclan was giving his club to organise gala events to raise funds for the Israeli borders police. This group came to inform that they wouldn't tolerate this anymore. Also, they said that this Mygdal organisation was constantly insulting Palestinians, Muslims and Arabs, without giving any further details. They needed to hide their faces...
    It is not enough to link the attacks to the BDS directly (although the S stands for sanctions), but we cannot say the Bataclan was randomly chosen.

Thank you.

Interesting. I'd say that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nanou said:

I think that's a fair assessment, at this point.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I wonder what would happen here if 5 guys covered their faces with ski masks and approached a bouncer in a club to deliver a "message"?