Options

Do You Think Deep Down, Americans Are Concerned That Donald Trump May Actually Win?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    No

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You think America is "pandering" to Cuba now?
    I understand that people in Cuba may not support their own government, but why would that make them against America resuming relations with them? The Cuban government is still the Cuban government, so I don't see why Cubans would expect the US to come in a change their government. In fact, I can only imagine the outrage if they tried. Shouldn't they remain concerned about the problems of their own government, while still being glad that renewed ties with the US will almost certainly have a positive impact on their economy?

because America does it for everybody else (and that never works out) and positive impact on thier economy will probably only mean more wealth for the castro machine.

bottom line....it was a bad idea...a big change but a bad idea.

Godfather.

So if it's a disaster when American does it with others, why would the Cubans want them to do it for Cuba? And even if the import/export wealth doesn't reach people, the increased tourism certainly will, so no matter what, the move is a benefit to Cubans. And even if they can't accept that there is a small benefit, they'd still have to admit that it is a neutral move at worst. So I Plus, Cuba and American strengthening ties will more than likely lead to positive changes to the Cuban government over time, since it is a big step towards getting more in line with the global community, which pretty much always leads to improvements overall. PLUS it should make it easier for Cubans to try and immigrate to and simply travel to the States. So I'm going to go ahead and argue that Cubans or anyone else who are actually against this don't actually know wtf they're talking about.
    don't get me wrong, I hope it works out for the people of Cuba.
    changing Cuba over time ?....you know that would involve the Russians as well..
    and in my opinion if you want to know how Cubans feel about this it's probably best to ask one rather than tell them they don't know what they're talking about, after all they have lived it.

Godfather.

You're the one telling us how Cubans feel about it though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

Shawshank said:

pjhawks said:

Trump can't win Texas, Florida or California with almost no latino vote and not a great % of the woman vote. Those 3 states represent 122 electoral college votes which is 45% of what one candidate needs to win. Lose all 3 of those states and it's almost impossible to win the election. Trump will not be President (in fact i believe he will drop out at some point and blame the media).

He will easily win Texas. This place is absolutely bat shit crazy for Trump right now. It's insane. He may not get many votes in Austin, but even the Hispanics I work with on a daily basis are excited about him. I NEVER bring him up, or any politics really, but they talk him up like crazy. Mainly because they feel he will make legal immigration easier. They talk about family they have that are too afraid to come here illegally, but he's already said his goal is to secure the border and make legal immigration a much easier process. And it should be. So that is what they are excited about. I've never seen such a buzz about a candidate before...ever.

I've never seen such a buzz about a candidate before...ever.

that right there tells me he can win, I have never seen such a thing either.

Godfather.

maybe this early in an election cycle BUT in general that statement is just hogwash. Obama in 2008 had the greatest buzz by far. 5 million more people voted in 2008 than in the previous election and the numbers for youth and minorities was massive compared to previous elections. no chance that in any demographic category Trump gets such a higher turnout than in previous elections. don't let media buzz fool you into think the general public feels the same way.

and i still think its at least 50/50 he drops out long before a general election. he is in it for publicity not to end up as President.
  • Options
    No
    Yeah, i actually think the buzz around Sarah Palin even came pretty close. Americans (and pretty much everyone else) love a freak show. I think that is what the polls are telling us.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    No
    ....... i am surprised that you actually seem to be in support of him now though, GF. While I almost always disagree with you, I still think of you as someone who would not fall for something so ludicrous...... Were you also enamored with Sarah Palin back in her heyday? Is this like you being a bandwagon jumper? Are you the political equivalent of an LA Kings fan or something? ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Ok, this headline made me lol....

Trump Attacks Pope Francis Over Anti-Capitalism: Say He Will Scare Pope with ISIS
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413921/-Trump-Attacks-Pope-Francis-Over-Anti-Capitalsim-say-He-Will-Scare-Pope-with-ISIS#

Funny....but it also gives a little insight to the function ISIS serves for the US...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I am American - No
    I think Deez Nuts has as much a shot as Trump does.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294

Ok, this headline made me lol....

Trump Attacks Pope Francis Over Anti-Capitalism: Say He Will Scare Pope with ISIS
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413921/-Trump-Attacks-Pope-Francis-Over-Anti-Capitalsim-say-He-Will-Scare-Pope-with-ISIS#

Funny....but it also gives a little insight to the function ISIS serves for the US...

who will he attack next the special Olympics lol damn what a fool ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I am American - Yes
    JimmyV said:

Obamacare, gay marriage, improved relations with Cuba, diplomacy with Iran. It seems to me President Obama delivered on his promise for change.

president Barack Obama's disapproval rating is past the 50 percent mark, according to a new CNN/ORC poll, with his worst ratings coming on how he's handling the Islamic State (ISIS) and Iran.

The poll shows that 51 percent of the 1,001 adults surveyed between Aug. 13-17 disapprove of how Obama handles the presidency overall, with 47 percent approving, reports CNN. The president's show is a flip from those in a similar poll in late July, in which respondents gave him a 49 percent approval rating and 47 percent disapproval rating.

The current poll also showed that a majority disapproves of how the president handles the economy and foreign affairs, with 52 percent saying his plans would move the United States in the wrong direction.

And overall, 52 percent of the poll's respondents say things are going badly in the country, compared to 48 percent who think matters are going well.

But the worst marks came in how Obama handles ISIS, with 62 percent saying they disapprove of his approach to the insurgent jihadist group. Further, another 60 percent disapprove of how he's handling Iran.

And while Obama generally has high ratings among Democrats, 35 percent said they disapprove of how he handles ISIS and 30 percent Iran, and overall, 23 percent of Democrats say they do not approve on how he's handling foreign affairs.

Obama's approval ratings are mainly going down because Republicans increasingly disapprove of him, the poll revealed:
    82 percent of Republicans disapproved in June, rising to 89 percent in the new poll.
    85 percent of Democrats approve of the president now, compared to 84 percent in July.
    42 percent of independents approved in both polls.
    Some of Obama's other policies are meeting with partisan divisions:
    On closing the prison at Guantánamo Bay: 53 percent say it should remain open and 44 percent say close it and move prisoners to other facilities. Sixty percent of Democrats say it should be closed, while 76 percent of Republicans and 53 percent of independents disagree.
    On ISIS: 47 percent want ground troops sent in, and 51 percent oppose doing so. Seventy-five percent, though, said troops will likely go in. Of those, 68 percent of Republicans favor sending in troops, while 68 percent of Democrats and 51 percent of independents oppose.
    On climate change: Obama's numbers are up here, with 47 percent approving, compared to 41 percent in May. Those numbers were driven by Democrats, with 76 percent approving his approach to climate change, compared to Republicans at 22 percent and independents at 43 percent.
    Overall favorability ratings for the two parties, though, showed a divide:
    The Republican Party got a 54 percent unfavorable rating, up from 49 percent in May. Also, 55 percent said GOP congressional leaders' policies are taking the country in the wrong direction, up from 49 percent in May.
    The Democratic Party met with split ratings of 47 percent favorable and 48 percent unfavorable.
    The Democratic Party fares somewhat better, with the public about evenly split on whether they view the president's party favorably (47 percent) or unfavorably (48 percent).
    The poll carried an overall margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    edited August 2015
    I am American - No
    Trump is in the lead because there are 15 nominees running. His whole platform is that he's not a politician and he has a 16% support among registered republicans (the 25-30% support stat comes from polling registered and non-registered republicans), but his platform and support is polarizing, meaning that 84% of registered republicans likely want anyone-but-Trump in office.

Once nominees start to drop out, that 84% anti-Trump vote will be spread among fewer candidates and wipe out Trump's majority margin.

The question is, will enough candidates drop out of the race so that Trump can't win the primary?
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

Trump is in the lead because there are 15 nominees running. His whole platform is that he's not a politician and he has a 16% support among registered republicans (the 25-30% support stat comes from polling registered and non-registered republicans), but his platform and support is polarizing, meaning that 84% of registered republicans likely want anyone-but-Trump in office.

Once nominees start to drop out, that 84% anti-Trump vote will be spread among fewer candidates and wipe out Trump's majority margin.

The question is, will enough candidates drop out of the race so that Trump can't win the primary?

Good, logical argument, mookeywrench. Nicely done.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I am American - No
    brianlux said:

Good, logical argument, mookeywrench. Nicely done.

Scott Walker just dropped out for this very reason.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    edited September 2015
    I am American - No
    double post
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
  • Options
    I am American - Yes
    Jeb all the way
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831

JimmyV said:

Obamacare, gay marriage, improved relations with Cuba, diplomacy with Iran. It seems to me President Obama delivered on his promise for change.

president Barack Obama's disapproval rating is past the 50 percent mark, according to a new CNN/ORC poll, with his worst ratings coming on how he's handling the Islamic State (ISIS) and Iran.

The poll shows that 51 percent of the 1,001 adults surveyed between Aug. 13-17 disapprove of how Obama handles the presidency overall, with 47 percent approving, reports CNN. The president's show is a flip from those in a similar poll in late July, in which respondents gave him a 49 percent approval rating and 47 percent disapproval rating.

The current poll also showed that a majority disapproves of how the president handles the economy and foreign affairs, with 52 percent saying his plans would move the United States in the wrong direction.

And overall, 52 percent of the poll's respondents say things are going badly in the country, compared to 48 percent who think matters are going well.

But the worst marks came in how Obama handles ISIS, with 62 percent saying they disapprove of his approach to the insurgent jihadist group. Further, another 60 percent disapprove of how he's handling Iran.

And while Obama generally has high ratings among Democrats, 35 percent said they disapprove of how he handles ISIS and 30 percent Iran, and overall, 23 percent of Democrats say they do not approve on how he's handling foreign affairs.

Obama's approval ratings are mainly going down because Republicans increasingly disapprove of him, the poll revealed:
    82 percent of Republicans disapproved in June, rising to 89 percent in the new poll.
    85 percent of Democrats approve of the president now, compared to 84 percent in July.
    On closing the prison at Guantánamo Bay: 53 percent say it should remain open and 44 percent say close it and move prisoners to other facilities. Sixty percent of Democrats say it should be closed, while 76 percent of Republicans and 53 percent of independents disagree.
    On ISIS: 47 percent want ground troops sent in, and 51 percent oppose doing so. Seventy-five percent, though, said troops will likely go in. Of those, 68 percent of Republicans favor sending in troops, while 68 percent of Democrats and 51 percent of independents oppose.
    On climate change: Obama's numbers are up here, with 47 percent approving, compared to 41 percent in May. Those numbers were driven by Democrats, with 76 percent approving his approach to climate change, compared to Republicans at 22 percent and independents at 43 percent.
    The Republican Party got a 54 percent unfavorable rating, up from 49 percent in May. Also, 55 percent said GOP congressional leaders' policies are taking the country in the wrong direction, up from 49 percent in May.
    The Democratic Party met with split ratings of 47 percent favorable and 48 percent unfavorable.
    The Democratic Party fares somewhat better, with the public about evenly split on whether they view the president's party favorably (47 percent) or unfavorably (48 percent).
    The poll carried an overall margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

so let's break this down:

his main disapprovals are from republicans who don't like:
    1) that he closed GITMO, a lawless and torturous prison of people with no access to due process
    2) that he's driving progress to fight climate change
    3) how he's handling the ISIS issue, a terrorist vaccuum created by the lies and deceit of his predecessor, of which there is no real conceivable solution as of yet.
    4) his creation of low cost healthcare across the nation, something most first world nations have (and have had) for decades already

yep. horrible president.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Is Donald trump really appropriate speak in an all ages forum? I request this be deleted.
  • Options
    I am American - Yes

JimmyV said:

1) that he closed GITMO, a lawless and torturous prison of people with no access to due process
    3) how he's handling the ISIS issue, a terrorist vaccuum created by the lies and deceit of his predecessor, of which there is no real conceivable solution as of yet.
    4) his creation of low cost healthcare across the nation, something most first world nations have (and have had) for decades already

yep. horrible president.

1) due process for terrorist ? closing GITMO to others was not a good idea.
    2) how ? climate change is just that a change in climate, in my opinion another money generating scandal.(although I agree pollution is real I don't believe it changes world climates)
    3) ohhhhh yeah he's handling isis real well, has he apologized to them as well ?
    4) low cost.....has yet to be seen, I have a friend who couldn't afford it so he was threatened with fines.

the way we all see things like your list is going to differ from person to person but the bottom line seems to be his disapproval ratting.

Godfather.

• Options

JimmyV said:

yep. horrible president.

2) how ? climate change is just that a change in climate, in my opinion another money generating scandal.(although I agree pollution is real I don't believe it changes world climates)
    3) ohhhhh yeah he's handling isis real well, has he apologized to them as well ?
    4) low cost.....has yet to be seen, I have a friend who couldn't afford it so he was threatened with fines.

the way we all see things like your list is going to differ from person to person but the bottom line seems to be his disapproval ratting.

Godfather.

um, most detainees in GITMO are not terrorists. they are accused of various associations, without due process and being kept without due process for nothing more than knowing the wrong people.

climate change is a money generating scandal???

in the US, politics are so incredibly partisan, approval ratings for a president mean diddly squat. how many people who belong to either party EVER approve of the the opposing party's president's performance? I'd guess nil.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I am American - Yes

JimmyV said:

yep. horrible president.

Godfather.

um, most detainees in GITMO are not terrorists. they are accused of various associations, without due process and being kept without due process for nothing more than knowing the wrong people.

in the US, politics are so incredibly partisan, approval ratings for a president mean diddly squat. how many people who belong to either party EVER approve of the the opposing party's president's performance? I'd guess nil.

I totally understand your point but this was case of national security.

Godfather.

• Options

JimmyV said:

yep. horrible president.

Godfather.

I totally understand your point but this was case of national security.

Godfather.

it always is. you simply cannot detain people without just cause. no other civilized nation does it. it's in the geneva convention. but the US government tried to circumvent that by calling them prisoners of war, when in reality, these were not prisoners directly engaged in any current conflict with US.

anyway, back to Trump.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    I am American - No
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    No
    I'm not American, but I still don't think he can win. I still have that much faith in enough American voters. Plus, Trump is bound to do at least one more terrible, off-putting thing before the 2016 election that is worse than anything he's done so far, which is saying a lot.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am American - No
    I'm not worried he will win, just ashamed it's even a question.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I am American - No
    rgambs said:

just ashamed it's even a question.

Me too
  • Options
    I am American - No

rgambs said:

Me too
    I know you have played devil's advocate with Trump and enjoy the spectacle of it all, but do you actually like him as a candidate? I'm not sure where you are at on him.
  • Options
    I am American - No
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    I know you have played devil's advocate with Trump and enjoy the spectacle of it all, but do you actually like him as a candidate? I'm not sure where you are at on him.
    I like him because he speaks his mind.
    President, don't think it will happen.
    but
    Americans sure do like their tv
  • Options
    I am American - No

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    but
    Doesn't it bother you that when he speaks his mind he is saying things that are racist, bigoted, and untrue?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    but
    Doesn't it bother you that when he speaks his mind he is saying things that are racist, bigoted, and untrue?
    Well, you wouldn't if you believe those things too.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    but
    There were people celebrating in NJ. I know friends and family who witnessed it in the towns of Jersey City, Patterson, and Iselin. He is wrong that it was in the thousands, but it did happen.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    I am American - No

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    but
    There were people celebrating in NJ. I know friends and family who witnessed it in the towns of Jersey City, Patterson, and Iselin. He is wrong that it was in the thousands, but it did happen.
    Yeah, and it was all over the news but somehow the tapes were all deleted...sure.
    Do you have friends that can corroborate the made-up (by a neo-nazi) stars on racial violence?
    Any friends in border control who can corroborate that the Mexican government is forcing rapists to make illegal border crossings?

The number of lies he has told is astounding.
  • Options
    No

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Me too
    but
    Then why are you ashamed it's even a question?
    I also wonder how you feel about some of the atrocious things he's said. You always seem to support him just in an effort to stir shit up (I assume), but I have no clue if you are ever actually expressing how you really feel about stuff. You say you like him because he speaks his mind... but what about the lies and creepy racist propaganda? You like him anyway just because he's a blow hard?