Options

Crowdsourcing "Unlikely to Happen"

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    deadendp said:

Edited because my comment got dropped down below someone else's when I thought it wasn't. Here goes:

i tried for once to comment about the whole yesterday atanother conversation...but ..well..seems different opinions arent wellcome..
    ideas is cool,anf kudos from the effort a fan put ,but from the idea to become busines at mucis industry from fans and with specific terms,like play at specific venue has really long distance..

fans who follow the band closely,they know already the band do their own way business and ONLY with proffecionals..
    fans,by doing any kind project can get attention to the band but NOT to do business with them..
    alot of exables over the years,with that..from designs and project,to events etc....that all are wellcome but not for do business..same officially not any band member,or the managrment did business with..
    if someone for exable wants to do a crowd whatever shows,cant knock on bands door cos he raise money..or have the money
    needs the right profecional producer,or touring agent ,known at music industry to go to bands their management and talk business along with his name,that quarante there are no risk at quality,safety and that can deliver the successful result
    and all comes along with contracts..who from bands side will put his name and a signature to do business when the other side isnt a business at all?
    i want to be a doctor..i can buy an online diploma and frame it..
    will any of u will sit on my table to have a surgery by me?
    of course not..

We appreciate different opinions. At least I do. I think that I get what you are saying. If they had the backing of a management team with proper contracts and whatnot in order, guaranteed safety and that the event would be conducted in the manner that they (PJ) runs things, perhaps their event may be a bit more successful? Dimitris, do I have your point correct?
    if i had this idea i would ask an appointment with the number 1 producer of ny,or anyone pj did busines in the past at that area..i will explain the idea nd if he is willing to be part of the project
    i would contact the guy organize the foos project for sure,
    i would have with me a laywer and some one from economy firm to explain all the legal matters
    this would take several meeting if was going even to talk to bands management
    after all was finish and then the producer could back up all,a dn i mean ALL..probably i would give the rights to producer to represent the project,and not a just a fan do it..
    we are talking about production,promote,clause in case show will not happen,safety,venue,ticket ventor,radios,internet ,social media,bank acounts,touring agents,stuff,taxes,papework..
    who can support all that?? 10c members? a company of friend-fans?
    ONLY PROFESSIONALS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    deadendp said:

^^ No you aren't. You were just trying to make sure your point was heard! ;) (Kidding. I kid!)

Lmao you know ME, if persistence fails.. Big the shit out if em'!! Lol that makes me think of the old days when you could 'flood' a thread by leaving a statement or most often a word in the script box and holding down the return or enter key!! God that was annoying!
  • Options

deadendp said:

Edited because my comment got dropped down below someone else's when I thought it wasn't. Here goes:

i tried for once to comment about the whole yesterday atanother conversation...but ..well..seems different opinions arent wellcome..
    ideas is cool,anf kudos from the effort a fan put ,but from the idea to become busines at mucis industry from fans and with specific terms,like play at specific venue has really long distance..

fans who follow the band closely,they know already the band do their own way business and ONLY with proffecionals..
    fans,by doing any kind project can get attention to the band but NOT to do business with them..
    alot of exables over the years,with that..from designs and project,to events etc....that all are wellcome but not for do business..same officially not any band member,or the managrment did business with..
    if someone for exable wants to do a crowd whatever shows,cant knock on bands door cos he raise money..or have the money
    needs the right profecional producer,or touring agent ,known at music industry to go to bands their management and talk business along with his name,that quarante there are no risk at quality,safety and that can deliver the successful result
    and all comes along with contracts..who from bands side will put his name and a signature to do business when the other side isnt a business at all?
    of course not..

We appreciate different opinions. At least I do. I think that I get what you are saying. If they had the backing of a management team with proper contracts and whatnot in order, guaranteed safety and that the event would be conducted in the manner that they (PJ) runs things, perhaps their event may be a bit more successful? Dimitris, do I have your point correct?
    if i had this idea i would ask an appointment with the number 1 producer of ny,or anyone pj did busines in the past at that area..i will explain the idea nd if he is willing to be part of the project
    i would contact the guy organize the foos project for sure,
    i would have with me a laywer and some one from economy firm to explain all the legal matters
    this would take several meeting if was going even to talk to bands management
    after all was finish and then the producer could back up all,a dn i mean ALL..probably i would give the rights to producer to represent the project,and not a just a fan do it..
    we are talking about production,promote,clause in case show will not happen,safety,venue,ticket ventor,radios,internet ,social media,bank acounts,touring agents,stuff,taxes,papework..
    who can support all that?? 10c members? a company of friend-fans?
    ONLY PROFESSIONALS
    Again very right.. Though most of that is handled by a group of fielding agents, and promotions agencies, and the event organizers.. That's OUTSIDE of the BAND'S booking and fielding agents.. Very good strategy indeed there Dimitris! That is how it should have been done!
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited May 2015
    CopperTom said:

I'm glad management finally commented.

Just so you know...Kelly actually responded back in early February. The Queens Courier reported that back in February but they are mostly distributed in Queens. This week's Village Voice story wasn't new news but was picked up by others because more people see their publication. That's all. :)
    http://queenscourier.com/pearl-jams-manager-says-a-forest-hills-stadium-show-is-unlikely/
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2015
    Kat said:

CopperTom said:

Just so you know...Kelly actually responded back in early February. The Queens Courier reported that back in February but they are mostly distributed in Queens. This week's Village Voice story wasn't new news but was picked up by others because more people see their publication. That's all. :)
    http://queenscourier.com/pearl-jams-manager-says-a-forest-hills-stadium-show-is-unlikely/
    Huh! How 'bout that. Surprised no one picked it up at the time! (And that it wasn't passed on to pledgers by the crowdfund organizers... seems like a bit of a lack of disclosure, if that is in fact the case. Not sure that it seems right to continue collecting on this one given the statement, but okay. Maybe it was passed on to donors or potential donors, i dunno).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

of course not..

I will pose the same question to you:

Do you work for the band? Are you part of their management?

I think the Crowdfund organzier was looking for direction from someone in that camp, not everyone who wishes they could work for pearl jam or be a part of the band.

The crowdfund organizer reached out to management a long time ago and asked for their input. He was given a non-answer. I think if the sentiment was a NO all along, then management should have been forthright with him, and the whole thing would have went away a long time ago. To date, they have still not directly responded to his inquiries to them.

All I am saying is that a straight up no to his question would have saved a lot of people being really negative, hurtful, and nasty in a "community" that is really supposed to be a fun, loving place to enjoy good music.
    i dont care or want to answer to anyones question..
    im saying my opinion and noone can tell me what i can say or do..
    im saying only profecionals can rich the bands managment and its so easy to see that over the years..
    if u read at my post "negative, hurtful, and nasty comment" then its you having some short of problem and not me..
    i have an opinion..i dont care or want that you or anyone else like it,but i have the right to say it at the fans forum as a member of the fan club

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one.
    So that means there's a lot of people who are assholes in here because they have opinions of YOU being the #1 asshole. Dude, whoever put you in charge of this campaign needs their head examined. You'd have been fired a long time ago, if I was in charge. But since I wasn't, I'm just an asshole with an opinion.
  • Options
    Please don't get this thread closed. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    badbrains said:

of course not..

I think the Crowdfund organzier was looking for direction from someone in that camp, not everyone who wishes they could work for pearl jam or be a part of the band.

The crowdfund organizer reached out to management a long time ago and asked for their input. He was given a non-answer. I think if the sentiment was a NO all along, then management should have been forthright with him, and the whole thing would have went away a long time ago. To date, they have still not directly responded to his inquiries to them.

All I am saying is that a straight up no to his question would have saved a lot of people being really negative, hurtful, and nasty in a "community" that is really supposed to be a fun, loving place to enjoy good music.
    im saying only profecionals can rich the bands managment and its so easy to see that over the years..
    if u read at my post "negative, hurtful, and nasty comment" then its you having some short of problem and not me..
    i have an opinion..i dont care or want that you or anyone else like it,but i have the right to say it at the fans forum as a member of the fan club

So that means there's a lot of people who are assholes in here because they have opinions of YOU being the #1 asshole. Dude, whoever put you in charge of this campaign needs their head examined. You'd have been fired a long time ago, if I was in charge. But since I wasn't, I'm just an asshole with an opinion.
    Badbrains I m buying you a beer next tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Badbrains will not be an asshole when he sports his new PJ20 Patagonia backpack...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    deadendp said:

of course not..

^^^^^This is the kind of post I was referring to.

I was not talking about your post from 30 minutes ago. No where in my post did I refer to you or a specific post you made. I was referring to numerous posts in the numerous locked threads and the facebook pages. Why do you have to come back with such a rude, arrogant, entitled response?

I thought deadendp, whispering hands, and myself were having quite a nice adult, conversation before you decided to jump in.
    We were having a nice discussion and I didn't read Dimitris' original post as negative, hurtful or nasty. I however do read this one as obnoxious:

of course not..

We were politely chatting. Having what I thought was a fairly nice discussion about a subject that regularly gets locked here on the forum. Good discussion back and forth. A little background.

If it is the OP's wish to keep this thread open, let's do so in a manner that is in line with the simple list of posting etiquette that PJ and the mods request. No snark. No nastiness. Let's keep it positive, people.

Differing, constructive opinions invited.
    Well said deadendp
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I didn't even know this existed. Sorry but, seriously? It's one thing to vehemently post Please Come To (insert town) but to actually collect money in hope of this becoming a reality?

Seriously? Wow.
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Meanwhile... what happens to that $140000 collected and how does this project not constitute fraud? Crowd sourcing is for people with their own talents and projects. It is not a 'grassroots' movement by any means either.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Meanwhile... what happens to that $140000 collected and how does this project not constitute fraud? Crowd sourcing is for people with their own talents and projects. It is not a 'grassroots' movement by any means either.

It's not collected yet. People just pledge it. They don't pay until the thing has the go ahead (which won't happen, in this case). There is nothing financially shady about this.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not collected yet. People just pledge it. They don't pay until the thing has the go ahead (which won't happen, in this case). There is nothing financially shady about this.
    If it was as easy as just pledging I wonder why a billion dollars has not been pledged so far?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

If it was as easy as just pledging I wonder why a billion dollars has not been pledged so far?
    I guess because not enough people are interested in it, for whatever reason. What's the number one reason? Who knows. Venue? Presentation? The concept of crowdsourcing and what it means to the band? :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    This whole project has flaws. First of all, why "crowd-fund" a show in a place like Queens when they play in NYC and the surrounding areas very frequently? Why is there an exceptional need for a show there? It's not like it's Florida or Alaska, or someplace they have NEVER played like South Africa. I could see a project like that. A group of fans in some remote place...NY is hardly that!

Second of all, I agree with DimitrisPearlJam's assessment. The band may take notice of fans requests when it suits them (play a song, help someone propose, spread a message) but they are also distant socially. Fans can't just call 'em up and ask them to play in the backyard. A concert is their business. It's a serious activity to them, they aren't casual about music. People need to be paid and details need to be arranged. (!)

Third, I think these people collecting the money are kind of socially impaired. They are not taking the social cues that their idea isn't a good one. The bands manager even said it's unlikely to happen but like some persistent guy following a girl home, they aren't taking "No" for an answer.

That's how this all looks to me!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    ^^ Hopefully this is the last comment on this tired topic. You've nailed it perfectly.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    justam said:

This whole project has flaws. First of all, why "crowd-fund" a show in a place like Queens when they play in NYC and the surrounding areas very frequently? Why is there an exceptional need for a show there? It's not like it's Florida or Alaska, or someplace they have NEVER played like South Africa. I could see a project like that. A group of fans in some remote place...NY is hardly that!

Second of all, I agree with DimitrisPearlJam's assessment. The band may take notice of fans requests when it suits them (play a song, help someone propose, spread a message) but they are also distant socially. Fans can't just call 'em up and ask them to play in the backyard. A concert is their business. It's a serious activity to them, they aren't casual about music. People need to be paid and details need to be arranged. (!)

Third, I think these people collecting the money are kind of socially impaired. They are not taking the social cues that their idea isn't a good one. The bands manager even said it's unlikely to happen but like some persistent guy following a girl home, they aren't taking "No" for an answer.

That's how this all looks to me!!

The response(s) from the organizer hasn't done much to help the cause either.

I can't get behind how it was initially brought about here - the disingenuous introduction reduced credibility in my mind - despite subsequent comments, and some of those comments have been flat-out rude.

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    RS151862 said:

^^ Hopefully this is the last comment on this tired topic. You've nailed it perfectly.

Thanks.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RS151862 said:

Hopefully this is the last comment on this tired topic.

I think this thread is a great discussion about crowdfunding pros and cons all round.
    This first attempt at crowdfunding for a Pearl Jam show has been noted in the press.
    I would like to see the pledge (donor) list and the monetary sum each provided.
    At last pressing there were 575 backers for $140K.
    ......I could very easily say that I have 580 backers with $600K in pledges.
    Show us the pledges!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Please don't get this thread closed. :(

Or banned!
  • Options
    Kat said:

CopperTom said:

Thank you for that clarification. :-)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Well said, justam
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited May 2015
    :anguished:
    Post edited by whofeelslikeadrank on
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706

CopperTom said:

exactly. don't need a microscope to read between the lines here...
    I'm at a loss as to why it's so hard to understand that these guys are pissing into the wind.

No one can blame them for trying though. But seriously when the horse has collapsed - step back and don't flog it
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I don't like crowds
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee said:

I don't like crowds

Amen Chris, especially elitist crowds haha
  • Options
    badbrains said:

smarchee said:

I don't like crowds

Lol you know everybody!
  • Options

badbrains said:

smarchee said:

I don't like crowds

Lol you know everybody!
    You must of not got the memo when you were on you hiatus, I'm the mayor of the club.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

smarchee said:

I don't like crowds

Lol you know everybody!
    You must of not got the memo when you were on you hiatus, I'm the mayor of the club.
    which club?..swedish boys of Amsterdam??..hehehhehhe
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”