Comments

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    In November 2014, a diehard Pearl Jam fan launched a crowdfunding campaign to get the band to travel to Queens for a gig at Forest Hills Stadium. While it was initially met with some backlash from fellow fans, Dan Sheffer’s campaign has raised nearly $140,000 thanks to the support of more than 575 people.

As good as the campaign seems to be doing, though, it looks like Pearl Jam have no intention of playing the concert.

“We love the passion and enthusiasm of the fans who have spearheaded Pearl Jam Crowdfund efforts,” Kelly Curtis, Pearl Jam’s manager, recently told Village Voice. “However, with more and more of these crowdfunded show proposals cropping up, we want to be clear before fans invest their earned money into these efforts that they are unlikely to happen.”

Curtis gives a bit more explanation to fans who might be scratching their heads: “The band’s shows are booked through their management and touring agents. A lot goes into scheduling, routing, producing and promoting safe and successful shows for our fans. We will continue to rely on our experts in the field to ensure this remains the case for the band’s future tours.”

Sheffer, ever the optimistic PJ fan, responded to the Voice:

We will continue to crowdfund until we receive a hard no from the Pearl Jam management. Dreams do come true and we are doing this for the thousands of fans that have supported us, visited our website, and have done charity work all for this movement. Pearl Jam are our heroes and we hope they can hear our proposal and give us more detailed feedback. We want this concert in Pearl Jam’s hands and by no means would want otherwise. We know they put on a show like no other. We are simply a grassroots movement that knows Pearl Jam Forest Hills would be amazing for the fans, the band, and the community. We remain faithful, as the song goes. We are the Forest Hills Faithful!

While Curtis didn’t deliver a “hard no,” “unlikely to happen” seems, unfortunately, pretty clear. You can stay up-to-date with the Forest Hills crowdfunding campaign here.

Read More: Pearl Jam's Manager Responds to Crowdfunding Campaign in NYC | http://diffuser.fm/pearl-jam-queens-crowdfunding/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_5003207&trackback=tsmclip
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I'm glad management finally commented.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    I have a bad feeling this will keep cropping up for years
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Its kind of shitty for that guy to keep plugging at this point, putting pressure on, and saying things like "dreams do come true", no?

I'm sure the band and management has heard them loud and clear.... maybe even looked into the logistics of it and found it not feasible. The "campaign" stalled months ago and it is what it was. I could see if it was rolling and keeping it going.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    BCBA said:

Its kind of shitty for that guy to keep plugging at this point, putting pressure on, and saying things like "dreams do come true", no?

I'm sure the band and management has heard them loud and clear.... maybe even looked into the logistics of it and found it not feasible. The "campaign" stalled months ago and it is what it was. I could see if it was rolling and keeping it going.

It's over Bro.....so please stop....u look foolish by continuing
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,269
    hsohi said:

BCBA said:

It's over Bro.....so please stop....u look foolish by continuing
    I thought his comments were rational and worth reading. I didn't think they were foolish. Your comments on the other hand..... :)

My own perspective is that crowdfunding shows wouldn't work. To maximize revenue bands need to string together a series of dates in bigger venues where they can sell out. A single show at a smaller venue is a hard thing to do. I think the Foo Fighters played the crowdfunded show for the publicity (Foo Fighters love to to do stuff like that). PJ is more low key and tours less frequently. I think they like to make a bigger impact when they go out and tour. We don't even see as many warmup shows as we used to in previous decades (where some random bar show would happen).

I think the article pretty much hit the nail on the head. You need to raise 1,000,000 to get an arena size band to play. If you try to get them to play less traveled venues, then those venues might not have the facilities to host the show (ie your putting the band in a position where they need to deal with tickets, security, staffing etc...). I really got the impression from the '95 tour that it takes a lot of energy to put on your own shows. It's much easier delegating it and letting someone else do all the grunt work :)

If so much crowdfunding happened that they could string together a tour, then they might be at place they have to choose which crowdfunded shows to play. Which is not really any different than now.

Right now bands try and pick cities that they can sell out (or sell the most tickets), so in essence it is crowdfunded already, except they're trying to guess which cities will have the best potential to draw the most fans.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    The truth is.. There are MANY facets to booking and scheduling etc.. Not just throwing money at a band and offering up a proposed venue as a goal. Those people have HARD jobs!! It is not easy to get these things set up. I tried to explain that.. But he was determined to do this on bare minimum. I hope Mr. Curtis doesn't have to try to explain this to this guy as often as I tried.. Lol he almost seems daft with that kind of persistence...
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    "We will continue to crowdfund until we receive a hard no from the Pearl Jam management. Dreams do come true and we are doing this for the thousands of fans that have supported us, visited our website, and have done charity work all for this movement. Pearl Jam are our heroes and we hope they can hear our proposal and give us more detailed feedback. We want this concert in Pearl Jam’s hands and by no means would want otherwise. We know they put on a show like no other. We are simply a grassroots movement that knows Pearl Jam Forest Hills would be amazing for the fans, the band, and the community. We remain faithful, as the song goes. We are the Forest Hills Faithful!"

The above comments in the quote are foolish. But hey keep sending money his way...
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    IBTL.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

The truth is.. There are MANY facets to booking and scheduling etc.. Not just throwing money at a band and offering up a proposed venue as a goal. Those people have HARD jobs!! It is not easy to get these things set up. I tried to explain that.. But he was determined to do this on bare minimum. I hope Mr. Curtis doesn't have to try to explain this to this guy as often as I tried.. Lol he almost seems daft with that kind of persistence...

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Pearl Jam? Are you part of the band's management or staff?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
  • Options
    ^^ You don't have to work for PJ to have read that Kelly was politely declining the crowdsourcing event.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

^^ You don't have to work for PJ to have read that Kelly was politely declining the crowdsourcing event.

That I am aware of.

I was asking because that person kept stating how she said this and that and tried to explain it. I'm not sure why the Crowdfund organizer would need to listen to her if she is not a member of PJ's management team.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
  • Options
    What WH was trying to get to is in the several other threads created on this very topic. She really is good people and truly was trying only to help clarify some things.

I assure you that while I'm sure she wouldn't turn down a job to work for PJ, she does not work for PJ or it's management team. She just has some life experience, as we all do in different areas, and was trying to share that here.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548

deadendp said:

That I am aware of.

I was asking because that person kept stating how she said this and that and tried to explain it. I'm not sure why the Crowdfund organizer would need to listen to her if she is not a member of PJ's management team.
    She probably figured if the organizer didn't initially listen to reality, she might as well make a run at it. Sort of a personal challenge.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    i tried for once to comment about the whole yesterday atanother conversation...but ..well..seems different opinions arent wellcome..
    ideas is cool,anf kudos from the effort a fan put ,but from the idea to become busines at mucis industry from fans and with specific terms,like play at specific venue has really long distance..

fans who follow the band closely,they know already the band do their own way business and ONLY with proffecionals..
    fans,by doing any kind project can get attention to the band but NOT to do business with them..
    alot of exables over the years,with that..from designs and project,to events etc....that all are wellcome but not for do business..same officially not any band member,or the managrment did business with..
    if someone for exable wants to do a crowd whatever shows,cant knock on bands door cos he raise money..or have the money
    needs the right profecional producer,or touring agent ,known at music industry to go to bands their management and talk business along with his name,that quarante there are no risk at quality,safety and that can deliver the successful result
    and all comes along with contracts..who from bands side will put his name and a signature to do business when the other side isnt a business at all?
    i want to be a doctor..i can buy an online diploma and frame it..
    will any of u will sit on my table to have a surgery by me?
    of course not..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

i tried for once to comment about the whole yesterday atanother conversation...but ..well..seems different opinions arent wellcome..
    ideas is cool,anf kudos from the effort a fan put ,but from the idea to become busines at mucis industry from fans and with specific terms,like play at specific venue has really long distance..

fans who follow the band closely,they know already the band do their own way business and ONLY with proffecionals..
    fans,by doing any kind project can get attention to the band but NOT to do business with them..
    alot of exables over the years,with that..from designs and project,to events etc....that all are wellcome but not for do business..same officially not any band member,or the managrment did business with..
    if someone for exable wants to do a crowd whatever shows,cant knock on bands door cos he raise money..or have the money
    needs the right profecional producer,or touring agent ,known at music industry to go to bands their management and talk business along with his name,that quarante there are no risk at quality,safety and that can deliver the successful result
    and all comes along with contracts..who from bands side will put his name and a signature to do business when the other side isnt a business at all?
    of course not..

I will pose the same question to you:

Do you work for the band? Are you part of their management?

I think the Crowdfund organzier was looking for direction from someone in that camp, not everyone who wishes they could work for pearl jam or be a part of the band.

The crowdfund organizer reached out to management a long time ago and asked for their input. He was given a non-answer. I think if the sentiment was a NO all along, then management should have been forthright with him, and the whole thing would have went away a long time ago. To date, they have still not directly responded to his inquiries to them.

All I am saying is that a straight up no to his question would have saved a lot of people being really negative, hurtful, and nasty in a "community" that is really supposed to be a fun, loving place to enjoy good music.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Edited because my comment got dropped down below someone else's when I thought it wasn't. Here goes:

of course not..

We appreciate different opinions. At least I do. I think that I get what you are saying. If they had the backing of a management team with proper contracts and whatnot in order, guaranteed safety and that the event would be conducted in the manner that they (PJ) runs things, perhaps their event may be a bit more successful? Dimitris, do I have your point correct?
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    deadendp said:

^^ We appreciate different opinions. At least I do. I think that I get what you are saying. If they had the backing of a management team with proper contracts and whatnot in order, guaranteed safety and that the event would be conducted in the manner that they (PJ) runs things, perhaps their event may be a bit more successful? Do I have your point correct?

I also appreciate different opinions. Thanks for not running me thru the ringer for expressing mine.

I'm just saying that if PJ management told the crowdfund that it was a no-go months ago when the crowdfund reached out, I think it would have ended then.

Who knows, if they posed all those questions or items that you stated in your last post, maybe it would have given the crowdfund something to think about or focus on. I'm pretty sure the crowdfund was looking for an answer/direction directly from the PJ/Management Camp, not every person that has a keyboard on this message forum.

I truly think some sort of answer/statement from them a long time ago would have saved a lot of nastiness amongst people who've probably never met in person, that are probably pretty good people. I think the crowdfund is a cool idea, and should have brought people together. Unfortunately, all if did was incite negativity and hatred on this board, which I know was not the organizer's goal.

• Options

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Pearl Jam? Are you part of the band's management or staff?
    Lmao! I WISH. I
    Just used to work with March of Dimes, as a fielder. ( that's the person that searches out secures, and sets up a venue for an attraction.) that included applying for permits in the cities we attended, ALLLLLLL of the permits, and there's a lot of that involved.. And then once all that was done and in place, I had to communicate to the heads of the organization how everything fit together. I worked on Bkkers For Babies, Hive Kids the World, BACA ( Bikers Against Child Abuse, Walk For a Cure and Cancer Society) I did this for almost five years, ( and tan and operated an animal rescue at the same time!! ), and it was never easy!
  • Options

of course not..

I think the Crowdfund organzier was looking for direction from someone in that camp, not everyone who wishes they could work for pearl jam or be a part of the band.

The crowdfund organizer reached out to management a long time ago and asked for their input. He was given a non-answer. I think if the sentiment was a NO all along, then management should have been forthright with him, and the whole thing would have went away a long time ago. To date, they have still not directly responded to his inquiries to them.

All I am saying is that a straight up no to his question would have saved a lot of people being really negative, hurtful, and nasty in a "community" that is really supposed to be a fun, loving place to enjoy good music.
    i dont care or want to answer to anyones question..
    im saying my opinion and noone can tell me what i can say or do..
    im saying only profecionals can rich the bands managment and its so easy to see that over the years..
    if u read at my post "negative, hurtful, and nasty comment" then its you having some short of problem and not me..
    i have an opinion..i dont care or want that you or anyone else like it,but i have the right to say it at the fans forum as a member of the fan club
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    And I was trying to tell the guy it's not as easy as he was making it out to be.. To do even that tiny venue, would roll in under 3 mil or so.. I calculated it once for him ball park minimum.. And it came to 2.1 mil. That's IF the band played for the mere half mil, no taxation, and excises eliminated. But everyone else wil want their part in full. None of this shit is cheap, none of it is easy.. It is a headache and a half no matter WHO you field for.. Was all I was trying to explain.. I even at one pint offere to get these things rolling for him, as I know those avenues. But he very rudely declined, claiming he was working on JUST this.. Well JUST civering that one thing can cost you YEARS! It can take a YEAR to get a city oridinance permit on sound laws to go through!! Let alone a crowd permit that is linked to police protection and security agents..
  • Options
    ivegotcookiesivegotcookies Posts: 155

of course not..

im saying only profecionals can rich the bands managment and its so easy to see that over the years..
    if u read at my post "negative, hurtful, and nasty comment" then its you having some short of problem and not me..
    i have an opinion..i dont care or want that you or anyone else like it,but i have the right to say it at the fans forum as a member of the fan club

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one.
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options

of course not..

^^^^^This is the kind of post I was referring to.

I was not talking about your post from 30 minutes ago. No where in my post did I refer to you or a specific post you made. I was referring to numerous posts in the numerous locked threads and the facebook pages. Why do you have to come back with such a rude, arrogant, entitled response?

I thought deadendp, whispering hands, and myself were having quite a nice adult, conversation before you decided to jump in.
  • Options

of course not..

I was not talking about your post from 30 minutes ago. No where in my post did I refer to you or a specific post you made. I was referring to numerous posts in the numerous locked threads and the facebook pages. Why do you have to come back with such a rude, arrogant, entitled response?

I thought deadendp, whispering hands, and myself were having quite a nice adult, conversation before you decided to jump in.
    We were having a nice discussion and I didn't read Dimitris' original post as negative, hurtful or nasty. I however do read this one as obnoxious:

of course not..

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one.
    We were politely chatting. Having what I thought was a fairly nice discussion about a subject that regularly gets locked here on the forum. Good discussion back and forth. A little background.

If it is the OP's wish to keep this thread open, let's do so in a manner that is in line with the simple list of posting etiquette that PJ and the mods request. No snark. No nastiness. Let's keep it positive, people.

Differing, constructive opinions invited.
  • Options

of course not..

you quote my post and saying about negative, hurtful, and nasty comment
    which post u was talking about then?how should i know while u quote my posts that u was talking about others..did in social media
    so,when u talk to me and quote me,please judge my opinion and not put it with others,,
    i cant answer for others,only for my opinion.
    and my opinion is what i post and noone can tell me how i will answer..
    my post was just fine and was respectful..and doesnt mean cos u asked me something i have to answer your way...
    and u missing the point of the posts..
    you talking about what others did in the past..better read the post and what the importnat on the posts....my post has to do same my opinion about how music industry works,and not who fans did what,if i like it or not..

• Options

of course not..

Honestly, Dimitris has a really good point., none of us can just CALL the management.. Lol they have like FOUR different phone numbers.. One for each distinct level of operation.. That 1800 number you call for the 10c is a prime example.. That's a service number, I imagine it's linked to a small call center, ( and knowing the band, it's in one tiny room somewhere in the warehouse). Then there's a BUSINESS number for agents of the different providers.. ( t-shirt producers, poster artists etc), then there's an in-line set of numbers that inter link every phone in the building, ( this runs off the server boards, so, I imagine when we crash the servers we kill the in line lines!! Unless they have routers set to delay the courses on them.. I would hope they do.. We crash a lot of severs!!) and finally each person in TEN CLUB management ( I think there's only the one or maybe two), will have a number.. The actual Curtis Management team will have this same set laid out, and then some. We get the service number.. Only peoke involved in these processes EVER get any of those other numbers.. As for why it took so long for management to answer?? I imagine it's because they're BUSY!! Fifty million thighs go on in that field, often at once.. And Kelly and his staff HUSTLE to make sure all kinks are ironed out as best as possible before the band goes anywhere..
  • Options

of course not..

Honestly, Dimitris has a really good point., none of us can just CALL the management.. Lol they have like FOUR different phone numbers.. One for each distinct level of operation.. That 1800 number you call for the 10c is a prime example.. That's a service number, I imagine it's linked to a small call center, ( and knowing the band, it's in one tiny room somewhere in the warehouse). Then there's a BUSINESS number for agents of the different providers.. ( t-shirt producers, poster artists etc), then there's an in-line set of numbers that inter link every phone in the building, ( this runs off the server boards, so, I imagine when we crash the servers we kill the in line lines!! Unless they have routers set to delay the courses on them.. I would hope they do.. We crash a lot of severs!!) and finally each person in TEN CLUB management ( I think there's only the one or maybe two), will have a number.. The actual Curtis Management team will have this same set laid out, and then some. We get the service number.. Only peoke involved in these processes EVER get any of those other numbers.. As for why it took so long for management to answer?? I imagine it's because they're BUSY!! Fifty million things go on in that field, often at once.. And Kelly and his staff HUSTLE to make sure all kinks are ironed out as best as possible before the band goes anywhere..
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post.
  • Options
    ^^ No you aren't. You were just trying to make sure your point was heard! ;) (Kidding. I kid!)
  • Options
    CopperTom said:

I'm glad management finally commented.

exactly. don't need a microscope to read between the lines here...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV