Options

Crowdsourcing "Unlikely to Happen"

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914

mcgruff10 said:

you 40 year olds act like you're 80! hit up the gym! ;)

Yeah, does the 40 year old realize his social security wont kick in for another 30 years?
    Meaning ya better get used to your 9 to 5.... 40 hour a week schedule.

And maybe, just maybe, other bands still do full blown tours, because they LOVE TOURING. Maybe its not because they are broke and wasted all their money. Maybe they just enjoy playing live music.......
    i don't know......3 hour shows seem to suggest the band enjoys playing live music. But who the fuck LOVES touring? I have never met one person, even people who like their job, who enjoy the travel that comes along with it. it's exhausting. and not to mention you are away from your kids. maybe 80's bands who are just in it for the hookers and blow.

Pearl Jam plays 15 shows a year in the USA?? Right?
    Since 2006, they average about 15 shows a year?

They can absolutely do whatever they want...I get that
    But dear lord.....These guys really aren't over doing anything here....hehehe

Hell, if anything, they are more rested than the other 250 billion hard working folks, on this planet....hehehehehe
    speedy speaks the truth.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Maybe they are more rested, maybe they're not. They have family, other shit going on, do a lot of charity work, not to mention McCready's health issues.

Over-doing to one may not seem so to another, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, does the 40 year old realize his social security wont kick in for another 30 years?

And maybe, just maybe, other bands still do full blown tours, because they LOVE TOURING. Maybe its not because they are broke and wasted all their money. Maybe they just enjoy playing live music.......
    i don't know......3 hour shows seem to suggest the band enjoys playing live music. But who the fuck LOVES touring? I have never met one person, even people who like their job, who enjoy the travel that comes along with it. it's exhausting. and not to mention you are away from your kids. maybe 80's bands who are just in it for the hookers and blow.

Hell, if anything, they are more rested than the other 250 billion hard working folks, on this planet....hehehehehe
    I saw Jeff say in an interview (I think an RNDM one) that he really hates touring (Not performing. Just the touring part).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

I saw Jeff say in an interview (I think an RNDM one) that he really hates touring (Not performing. Just the touring part).
    Then maybe he should find a different job.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,847

mcgruff10 said:

I wasn't talking about needing rest in between tours. I mean even two weeks of travelling would suck. maybe some bands like it, but I'd wager the majority do not.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited May 2015
    Pearl Jam is the only band that popped up 25 years ago that is still going today. I don't see why we can't be happy with what they give us, not judge them on what they may or not prefer regarding touring, and leave their personal lives completely out of it.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Pearl Jam is the only band that popped up 25 years ago that is still going today. I don't see why we can't be happy with what they give us, not judge them on what they may or not prefer regarding touring, and leave their personal lives completely out of it.

Good point.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

wow.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I have never travelled the world like these guys have, but I HAVE run cross this whole fucking country in 6 weeks on horse show circuits.. Packing unpacking, train schedules, plane schedules, sign in deadlines, placement site organization, constantly on the move, no stops, no overnight breaks.. We were in a truck and trailer set, on a train, or a plane, or on the horses. There was no reprieve. The horses got more 'rest' than we did. I can only imagine how exhausting a full fledged concert tour must be.. ( no matter how short or long it is!)Given the world travel, timelines changing, date line exchanges; I can't blame Jeff or anyone else for hating touring. I loved showing horses, but I hated the rigorous travel involved in doing so.. And a concert tour is ten times the work we did.
  • Options

dave matthews? sound garden? phish?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I wasn't talking about needing rest in between tours. I mean even two weeks of travelling would suck. maybe some bands like it, but I'd wager the majority do not.

two weeks traveling through Europe and australia must really suck. ;)

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

with the band scheduling dates every second day or so, that gives very little time for any meaningful time being spent at any locale. if you even have the energy to do so when you have the time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

I don't know about that, lol. Seems to me like the satisfaction he gets from other aspects of the job make up for his dislike of being on the road. But it could be one of the reasons PJ isn't touring as much (among many others).
    Jack White said in that interview with Mike recently that he doesn't even think performing is fun at all. But he still seems pretty well suited to his career. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    mcgruff10 said:

Eh Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, the Offspring!

Don't think he really thought that post through haha :)
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    edited May 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

My wife makes sure my ass is in the gym almost daily... ;)

That said, if I had a sizable chunk of money in the bank and didn't have to work, I wouldn't. Unless I wanted to. Life's too short.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148

Jet lag and the flight down under is pretty rough mcgruff. Takes about a week before you can stay up past 7pm local AUS time without collapsing.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Nobody needs to get upset
    Nobody needs to take it as a personal insult
    Nobody needs to bring up the bands personal lives

Its just a fact
    Our boys don't play many shows in the states
    And they haven't for almost 10 years

Personally I think they should go on a 100-150 show, 2 year, FULL BLOWN tour of the USA.
    They should be able to handle this.
    They are obviously well rested.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

wow.

Wow? What's the matter Hugh? Becoming a conservative makes you lose your humor? Hahaha
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

Its just a fact

Personally I think they should go on a 100-150 show, 2 year, FULL BLOWN tour of the USA.

Maybe it's coming for PJ25. Huge ass tour!!! Great idea Speedy. Call them up and make it happen...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

wow.

Wow? What's the matter Hugh? Becoming a conservative makes you lose your humor? Hahaha
    ssshhhhh.......I'm still in the closet........

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Its just a fact

I didn't notice anyone getting upset.

correct, it is a fact. and it's probably only going to get less frequent! buckle up folks, we're in the home stretch!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    edited May 2015

There are other bands from that era that still tour and do more shows.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited May 2015

mcgruff10 said:

Eh Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, the Offspring!

Don't think he really thought that post through haha :)
    Ok, I forgot Dave Matthews. All the other bands mentioned popped up well before 25 years ago, and Soundgarden took a 12+ year hiatus. Regardless, that wasn't the point.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

I think there has been a balance struck that has contributed to both the longevity of the band, and the output of each and every show. if they want/need time off I don't read it as them not loving music. Just recharging batteries. it has to be exhausting playing a leg of a tour at this age.

do people think that the 1996 version would have flown into nyc and played forest hills? Serious question I don't know.

agree. I think these shorter tours have been great for the level of energy, quality of the shows and Ed's voice. 2003 was great but no doubt when you go on a 70 date tour there is gonna be some duds in there just because you are tired or not feeling it. I'd rather have 10-15 kick ass shows every 12 months than 70 one year with duds thrown in then nothing for 3 or 4 years. right now I think it's a nice mix.
    i agree100%..plus the quality of the shows now is unreal and 3 hours shows..
    2003 was 2 hours show and they was 12 years younger..
    it d be nice if they went from 10-15 shows a year to 30 to 40 spread out over two or three "tours". i'm not thinking the quality of the show would go down at all.
    seems they have a way to control their energy by the way the choose touring ..dont forget,they write music,they play benefit sows,they doing side project,they play shows with other bands,they tour as welll as matt..so..seems they doing the right thing and are happy with it and they quality is in max level...travelng,changing countries and continents,preparing,and all that..is noit easy at all...
    I am pretty sure they could keep their energy up playing thirty five shows a year or the equal of ten percent of the calendar year. They can rest the other 90% of the year.
    Pretty sure The Who is playing more shows in the USA the last couple tours than Pearl Jam has played in the last 5-6 tours combined.
    The guys in The Who apparently need the money. Not sure what they've done with the rest of it up to this point.
    Who cares what they did with their money. The point is, they are playing a full tour!
    And tickets are readily available on groupon plus they've postponed some shows already
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

I think there has been a balance struck that has contributed to both the longevity of the band, and the output of each and every show. if they want/need time off I don't read it as them not loving music. Just recharging batteries. it has to be exhausting playing a leg of a tour at this age.

do people think that the 1996 version would have flown into nyc and played forest hills? Serious question I don't know.

agree. I think these shorter tours have been great for the level of energy, quality of the shows and Ed's voice. 2003 was great but no doubt when you go on a 70 date tour there is gonna be some duds in there just because you are tired or not feeling it. I'd rather have 10-15 kick ass shows every 12 months than 70 one year with duds thrown in then nothing for 3 or 4 years. right now I think it's a nice mix.
    i agree100%..plus the quality of the shows now is unreal and 3 hours shows..
    2003 was 2 hours show and they was 12 years younger..
    it d be nice if they went from 10-15 shows a year to 30 to 40 spread out over two or three "tours". i'm not thinking the quality of the show would go down at all.
    seems they have a way to control their energy by the way the choose touring ..dont forget,they write music,they play benefit sows,they doing side project,they play shows with other bands,they tour as welll as matt..so..seems they doing the right thing and are happy with it and they quality is in max level...travelng,changing countries and continents,preparing,and all that..is noit easy at all...
    I am pretty sure they could keep their energy up playing thirty five shows a year or the equal of ten percent of the calendar year. They can rest the other 90% of the year.
    Pretty sure The Who is playing more shows in the USA the last couple tours than Pearl Jam has played in the last 5-6 tours combined.
    The guys in The Who apparently need the money. Not sure what they've done with the rest of it up to this point.
    Who cares what they did with their money. The point is, they are playing a full tour!
    And tickets are readily available on groupon plus they've postponed some shows already
    Last time I checked pj usually has tickets readily available for most of their shows. Groupon is something they haven't done. And again who cares if tickets are available, they are touring!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:

Here we are now - entertain us!

Maybe they live a charmed life but they've paid their dues. I don't know what their daily lives consist of - does anyone here?

My guess is that, as Dimitris said above, they have other things going on. They have paid their dues and do tour, but not exhaustively so. Many of them have kids and I suspect that they don't want to be just road dads.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    They can do what they want but don't forget that they got paid a ton of money by a lot of us. They don't owe us a tour but they also don't tour for free when they do it. We all have paid $35 for a $5 shirt at a show.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty happy with the way things are now. A few years ago I don't think they toured the UK for about 5-6 years (binaural - avocado tours). In the years after that I think they played 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014.

Of course I cant say all countries have been that lucky but in my mind, that's a pretty good return
  • Options

They can do what they want but don't forget that they got paid a ton of money by a lot of us. They don't owe us a tour but they also don't tour for free when they do it. We all have paid $35 for a $5 shirt at a show.

I have zero idea how the amount they charge for shirts has anything to do with the frequency in which they should tour. I wish they woukd charge more to reduce the flippability of them. Then maybe i could score one!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I have zero idea how the amount they charge for shirts has anything to do with the frequency in which they should tour. I wish they woukd charge more to reduce the flippability of them. Then maybe i could score one!

I loathe the guy in front of me at the last St. Louis show who bought the last ten show specific shirts. What an ass.