Options

Crowdsourcing "Unlikely to Happen"

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    It's not happening, stick a fork in it.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I don't think its 'scary' or 'stalkerish' at all or anything.

After this point though, it seems like it will be adversarial toward the band to continue the same way. It seems pretty obvious this was an attempt at a diplomatic, easy let-down that it isn't happening. They were able to thank fans for being so rabid to do this, but also said there is too many factors involved to play at a show like this. Its simple.
    But then carrying on and demanding a hard no, while the next sentence saying "dreams do come true" puts the band's management in a little more of an awkward position to say a blatant 'no' to good and dedicated fans and 'end dreams'.
    Especially since the thing seems to have stalled quite a bit over the past 4-5 months and its just kind of sitting there.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

SD48277 said:

Didn't they say it would take a cease and desist order from PJ to get them to stop?

Is that true? That's borderline stalker-ish (as in: I'll-keep-pursuing-you-until-I-am-legally-told-to-stop).
    No. They never said that. This is like a child's game of passing the story along from person to person. It only gets more ridiculous with each post.

The organizer said he would shut it down when management contacted him with a hard no. If I understood that correctly, that is not a cease and desist order.
    That's what I read too. None the less, still persistent enough to be borderline scary..
    What's scary are the people that sit outside of venues waiting to shake EV's hand, or to ask him if they can hug him, or profess their love to him. That's scary. The organizer of the crowdfund doesn't seem scary at all.
    Lol good point. Except people have been doing this to famous folks for YEARS. And he obviously doesn't seem to mind meeting his fans like that.. Although the 'gotta get a hug, bro' dude from the WOTR video seemed to freak him out a little! Lol as that would anyone. But generally he seems rather ok with it. Trust me, if he wasn't, it wouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,265
    I find the Foo Fighters situation to be misleading. From what I understand the crowdfunding only raised $70k. I imagine the Foo Fighters make the same money Pearl Jam does as both bands can sellout arenas. $70k would be a far cry from their usual take home pay. They also didn't play a large venue (like the PJ kickstarted is asking). The Foo's played a small 1500 seater theatre which requires less security, planning, and ammenities.

I have to think the Foo Fighters decision to play the show was a promotional gimmick (something PJ doesn't really do). Foo Fighters have played peoples garages, a pizza joint, small venues featured in the recent Sonic Highways documentary. It's their way of self promotion.

I like this article:

http://diffuser.fm/will-foo-fighters-regret-crowdsourced-show/

Now that the Foo's played a really small crowdfunding show for peanuts, they're starting to get asked to play a bunch of other ones. What would be telling is whether or not they do. I'm thinking they don't. They opened a can of worms.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    Didn't Curtis Management already said no back in Feb? Why the hell is this still going on? :/ If Curtis say's no, that means NO! Done! Finish! Adios muchacho!
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Didn't Curtis Management already said no back in Feb? Why the hell is this still going on? :/ If Curtis say's no, that means NO! Done! Finish! Adios muchacho!

They actually said this exact quote back in February in a different publication. The organizer never told a soul as far as i can tell. From what I gather, they kept collecting after this statement, didn't even mention it during the interview with the Village Voice -the VV had to seek out the quote from another source. The organizers seemed to pretend it was never said i think?? Unless I'm missing something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    edited May 2015
    When a woman tells me "it isn't likely to happen" I take that as a NO!

I say thanks and move on

:blush:
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Look, I like some of you guys a lot, really, but please let it rest. We've got comparisons to dating violence, serious criminal activity and let's not forget my favourite, saying the same damn thing again and again about it. It really needs to stop. I think all that can be said has been and its over.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

Look, I like some of you guys a lot, really, but please let it rest. We've got comparisons to dating violence, serious criminal activity and let's not forget my favourite, saying the same damn thing again and again about it. It really needs to stop. I think all that can be said has been and its over.

True that, well played.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    candaceandcocoacandaceandcocoa Portland, ME, USA Posts: 57
    Aaaaand... Scene
  • Options
    huh?

why cant this be discussed?

All the "new" stuff going on with this board and this band?

This is a pearl jam topic at this point in time... which happens to be kind of a desert as far as PJ goes. The topic is one that I find interesting enough to comment and read to take a break from the numerous mystery vinyl and collecting threads. IMO, the conversation this time has been level and civil enough to continue. I don't understand why some people have an urge to shut it down.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    imagine my surprise to see this story pop up elsewhere:

http://uproxx.com/music/2015/05/pearl-jam-crowdfunded-concert/
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    WTF?!?!!? they are quoting Lloyd X-mas!?!?!? from where? FB? Because anybody that knows that 'guy', that isn't a serious quote.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

WTF?!?!!? they are quoting Lloyd X-mas!?!?!? from where? FB? Because anybody that knows that 'guy', that isn't a serious quote.

If you're not joking and i'm just not reading you well today, I believe they mean the character from the movie. :)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

If you're not joking and i'm just not reading you well today, I believe they mean the character from the movie. :)
    This makes sense.

Why in this article did they report it's a new venue?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

This makes sense.

No one knows anything apparently. This is also the third publication I've seen attribute Kelly's statement to the Village Voice, but Kat said the statement was actually made to some small publication in Brooklyn months ago. I guess they don't do fact checking on stories like these. I mean, calling the venue new is particularly clueless, given that the voice article quotes the organizer talking about the history of the venue, and this article referenced the Voice..... poor journalism bugs me, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul said:

FoxyRedLa said:

PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

This makes sense.

No one knows anything apparently. This is also the third publication I've seen attribute Kelly's statement to the Village Voice, but Kat said the statement was actually made to some small publication in Brooklyn months ago. I guess they don't do fact checking on stories like these. I mean, calling the venue new is particularly clueless, given that the voice article quotes the organizer talking about the history of the venue, and this article referenced the Voice..... poor journalism bugs me, lol.
    So...we learned that:

*there will be no PJ show in Forest Hills
    and
    *don't trust news 'sources'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    I do not like how this opens it up for people to speak about Pearl Jam and their management with negative connotations. That article is very slanted negatively and I have seen some comments in other places accusing Pearl Jam of not being all about their fans because they wont just "plug in" and play at this place for these "grassroots" fans. Foo Fighters are way more "Rock and Roll" for doing this, etc.

This is why I have an issue with Mr Sheffer's statement on this. I think it is loaded with buzzwords such as 'thousands of fans', 'dreams', 'grassroots', 'done charity', 'faithfull' that kind of paint PJ into a PR corner and its not really fair.

I'm sure these are great fans and good people... but I believe its time to cool the campaign, or at least change its stripes.

and yes, that is Lloyd Christmas from the movie, lol
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    BCBA said:

I do not like how this opens it up for people to speak about Pearl Jam and their management with negative connotations. That article is very slanted negatively and I have seen some comments in other places accusing Pearl Jam of not being all about their fans because they wont just "plug in" and play at this place for these "grassroots" fans. Foo Fighters are way more "Rock and Roll" for doing this, etc.

This is why I have an issue with Mr Sheffer's statement on this. I think it is loaded with buzzwords such as 'thousands of fans', 'dreams', 'grassroots', 'done charity', 'faithfull' that kind of paint PJ into a PR corner and its not really fair.

I agree.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    There was a time when this band would of done something like this but those days are long gone now i consider them just another rock band , the spontaneity of it all is gone it can't be recreated .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    It's looking like the band may have to produce some strong official statement before these guys give it up.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I love the end of the article.. So they have tons of positivity in their corner, just not Pearl Jam..

Ouch!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548

There was a time when this band would of done something like this but those days are long gone now i consider them just another rock band , the spontaneity of it all is gone it can't be recreated .....

Yep. The days of the Honking Seals showing up at a club are gone. Long gone.

I always find it odd how these guys love music so much but play so little live as Pearl Jam or on their own.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I always find it odd how these guys love music so much but play so little live as Pearl Jam or on their own.
    I don't know, jose and bootletter - they have families to consider now (not to mention themselves) and are nearing a mid-century of life - well-lived life, at that! Priorities change.

For all they have given (and still do via the albums and boots we possess, videos we watch, and on), I can't see how their love of music would - or should - be trumped by their well-earned ability to take the time to enjoy their wives, children, down time, etc.

Probably giving lovely personal concerts for them :)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914

100% agree. And I m thinking tgese guys have the money to take their family on the road.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    hedonist said:

I don't know, jose and bootletter - they have families to consider now (not to mention themselves) and are nearing a mid-century of life - well-lived life, at that! Priorities change.

For all they have given (and still do via the albums and boots we possess, videos we watch, and on), I can't see how their love of music would - or should - be trumped by their well-earned ability to take the time to enjoy their wives, children, down time, etc.

Definitely fame, fortune and family play a role in things. But you may be right that Ed doesn't have to be on a stage to enjoy singing and music.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

This one hundred percent! They've earned that right.
  • Options
    imagephoto A669110A-0D90-4969-8B65-8E3EEE0C5348.jpg" />
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    I think there has been a balance struck that has contributed to both the longevity of the band, and the output of each and every show. if they want/need time off I don't read it as them not loving music. Just recharging batteries. it has to be exhausting playing a leg of a tour at this age.

do people think that the 1996 version would have flown into nyc and played forest hills? Serious question I don't know.