Police abuse

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    agree some cops are bad. Some wrong priorities. What's alternative? No cops. Survival of the fittest? Everyone carrying as there are no police. No one investigating homicides?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Video of cop shooting dog sparks investigation

http://usat.ly/1tF6Dte
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.news.com.au/world/denver-police-seize-tablet-delete-video-of-brutal-arrest-but-it-had-backed-up-to-the-cloud/story-fndir2ev-1227137812835

Denver Police seize tablet, delete video of brutal arrest. But it had backed up to “the cloud”.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    dignin said:

http://www.news.com.au/world/denver-police-seize-tablet-delete-video-of-brutal-arrest-but-it-had-backed-up-to-the-cloud/story-fndir2ev-1227137812835

Denver Police seize tablet, delete video of brutal arrest. But it had backed up to “the cloud”.

Read about this the other day...just reinforces my fairy tale that police don't lie
  • John Hobbs- shot and killed as he and other members of the Fugitive Apprehension Team attempted to serve a felony warrant on a man who had recently been released from prison.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20140304phoenix-det-john-hobbs-final-act-bravery.html

Is it about time to start posting links to cops getting killed or hurt on the job?

Probably not. With the amount of venom spit at police these days on this forum... it seems that many people think getting killed on the job while doing police work is simply par for the course. To the contrary though... getting killed while being a criminal is a sheer travesty demanding outrage.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Just looking at some US policing stats:

2013 saw 51,625 reported assaults on officers (14,857 with injuries). The same year yielded 100 deaths of officers in the line of duty (33 people shot or stabbed).

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/daifacts.html

51,000 assaults and not 51,000 headlines of cops shooting people after getting assaulted. Pretty damn impressive display of patience from my way of thinking. Well done police people! Well done.

Tomorrow (or the next day) remind me to post the data that shows violent crime down, police brutality and killing up.
    I'm fucking half waxed right now.

And the meaning it's gets left behind....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Bad cops should be called on their shit (which I have done a number of times myself), for sure. Just don't forget to acknowledge the good ones. Maybe if we did that more often we would have more good cops. Check out Last-12-Exits "Not all cops are evil" thread.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited November 2014

Just looking at some US policing stats:

2013 saw 51,625 reported assaults on officers (14,857 with injuries). The same year yielded 100 deaths of officers in the line of duty (33 people shot or stabbed).

51,000 assaults and not 51,000 headlines of cops shooting people after getting assaulted. Pretty damn impressive display of patience from my way of thinking. Well done police people! Well done.

I wonder how many of those reported 51,000 assaults are bogus. Like the guy charged with bleeding on the cops after they beat his face in, or the guy charged for breaking the cops hand with his face. I would be curious to see how many assaults resulted in convictions.

Post edited by dignin on
  • JC29856 said:

Tomorrow (or the next day) remind me to post the data that shows violent crime down, police brutality and killing up.

Just being a smart ass here: I wonder if there's a positive correlation here? Well done
    dignin said:

I wonder how many of those reported 51,000 assaults are bogus. Like the guy charged with bleeding on the cops after they beat his face in, or the guy charged for breaking the cops hand with his face. I would be curious to see how many assaults resulted in convictions.

Predictably... I knew this would be a response- the discredit tactic that once again shows the tendency to distrust and disrespect.

Let's generously say 10,000 are bogus (which is not even close to the actual number of false claims). 41,000 assaults on officers and not 41,000 headlines of cops shooting people while being assaulted. An exceptional display of patience. Well done police! Well done.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

JC29856 said:

Just being a smart ass here: I wonder if there's a positive correlation here? Well done
    dignin said:

Predictably... I knew this would be a response- the discredit tactic that once again shows the tendency to distrust and disrespect.

Let's generously say 10,000 are bogus (which is not even close to the actual number of false claims). 41,000 assaults on officers and not 41,000 headlines of cops shooting people while being assaulted. An exceptional display of patience. Well done police! Well done.
    I second the well done police!
    But I would add, just because dignin feels that the figure isn't entirely accurate it doesn't mean he is distrusting and disrespecting all police. Can there not be a middle ground here, or do we all have to be pro or anti police?
    Isn't a little skepticism OK, even healthy?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

But I would add, just because dignin feels that the figure isn't entirely accurate it doesn't mean he is distrusting and disrespecting all police. Can there not be a middle ground here, or do we all have to be pro or anti police?
    It's not just OK... it's great.

But is a one-sided argument OK? Balance and perspective are healthy too. I don't just mean between people... I mean within people.

You are a well-spoken individual. You have been very critical of police and to be frank, somewhat disrespectful with the just doing their jobs responses when people allude to the inherent danger of police work. I might be wrong, but I don't see the 'middle ground' being practiced by you when you rarely (maybe never) temper one of your posts with something acknowledging the challenges police face while performing their duties. And because this is so, it at least appears to the reader of your work that you think very little of police work or, for that matter, police people.

I'm not trying to knock you or be overly confrontational as much as I'm just calling it like I see it. You are a well-spoken individual and your words sometimes have the power of persuasion. You've done a really good job of highlighting the need for police accountability. Why not also contribute to the need for people to respect the profession if you do feel the majority of police take their shoes off at the end of the day and are everyday people like you and me?

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

But is a one-sided argument OK? Balance and perspective are healthy too. I don't just mean between people... I mean within people.

You are a well-spoken individual. You have been very critical of police and to be frank, somewhat disrespectful with the just doing their jobs responses when people allude to the inherent danger of police work. I might be wrong, but I don't see the 'middle ground' being practiced by you when you rarely (maybe never) temper one of your posts with something acknowledging the challenges police face while performing their duties. And because this is so, it at least appears to the reader of your work that you think very little of police work or, for that matter, police people.

I'm not trying to knock you or be overly confrontational as much as I'm just calling it like I see it. You are a well-spoken individual and your words sometimes have the power of persuasion. You've done a really good job of highlighting the need for police accountability. Why not also contribute to the need for people to respect the profession if you do feel the majority of police take their shoes off at the end of the day and are everyday people like you and me?
    You make a good point and I thank you for the compliments you paid me. It is true that I don't represent my respect for some police as well as I represent my disrespect for some others. It is the nature of the Moving Train that we are fueled by controversy, and the threads in which people agree are quickly dead, while the threads in which people disagree (guns, partisan politics, MB, etc) tend to run on forever and generate rapid responses. I think many of us here, if honest, would admit they truly love to debate/argue (I know I do) and negativity rules in these scenarios. I need to work on being a little more balanced in that regard, and some others might feel the same.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

You make a good point and I thank you for the compliments you paid me. It is true that I don't represent my respect for some police as well as I represent my disrespect for some others. It is the nature of the Moving Train that we are fueled by controversy, and the threads in which people agree are quickly dead, while the threads in which people disagree (guns, partisan politics, MB, etc) tend to run on forever and generate rapid responses. I think many of us here, if honest, would admit they truly love to debate/argue (I know I do) and negativity rules in these scenarios. I need to work on being a little more balanced in that regard, and some others might feel the same.
    Thanks for taking my comments the right way!

And for the record... I love to argue and debate as much as anyone. I have to remind myself to allow this community to see another side to me so that I'm not just taken as a complete boor. Chadwick's opinion thread is a good spot to do that! :))

* Freaking cold out here. Got some work to do, but I'm already thinking about sitting by the fire, watching basketball game, and indulging in a rum and eggnog once my duties are done. Have a good one.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

http://www.guns.com/2014/11/25/editorial-new-gun-tracking-technology-good-for-police-military-or-gun-owners/

This form of technology should help police in getting themselves assistance when patrolling alone.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited December 2014
    Post edited by JC29856 on
    US justice system
    Guy that threw red paint on nyc police commissioner at protest facing 225 years jail time.
    CMTSU
    JC29856 said:

US justice system
    Guy that threw red paint on nyc police commissioner at protest facing 225 years jail time.
    CMTSU

That's America. And the hacker who brought the Big Red rape case to light faces 10 times as much prison time as the guys who raped a girl and shared it on Facebook.
    edited December 2014
    Because in the land of the free, YOU DONT MUCK WITH AUTHORITY OR AUTHORITY MUCKS YOU!

Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

US justice system
    CMTSU

That's America. And the hacker who brought the Big Red rape case to light faces 10 times as much prison time as the guys who raped a girl and shared it on Facebook.
    Damn, Mellancamp certainly was right
    edited December 2014
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/hundreds-of-police-killings-are-uncounted-in-federal-statistics-1417577504

Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats
    FBI Data Differs from Local Counts on Justifiable Homicides
    When 24-year-old Albert Jermaine Payton wielded a knife in front of the police in this city’s southeast corner, officers opened fire and killed him.

Yet according to national statistics intended to track police killings, Mr. Payton’s death in August 2012 never happened. It is one of hundreds of homicides by law-enforcement agencies between 2007 and 2012 that aren’t included in records kept by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

A Wall Street Journal analysis of the latest data from 105 of the country’s largest police agencies found more than 550 police killings during those years were missing from the national tally or, in a few dozen cases, not attributed to the agency involved. The result: It is nearly impossible to determine how many people are killed by the police each year.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    The ever popular choke hold on someone defenseless and handcuffed, prob deserved it.