Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    hey,i just google it..at google translator..
    there is a word in english,that police can do when there are 4 policemen and have a civilian on the ground instead of shoot to kill him..
    called "disarm "
    spread the word!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    muskydan said:

Couple facts you need 2 know. Cops are not paid to fight fair. Like it or not it's A JOB and our first priority is to make sure you and your partner/fellow officers get home safe to our familes. This unique job comes with a higher standard of accountability than most professions, although many of you Would disagree with me on that I am sure. Police get fired for countless of reasons on the Job and even more during our personal life's...we step on our dicks often off-duty and the media just eats it up. I will never forget my first day on the job when my salty old field training officer told me, "congratulations kid, you Are now closer than you ever have been in your life to going to jail Than becoming the police". He was absolutely right. Seen many in my day go to the PEN justly and for complete BS.
    The suggestion of shooting a suspect in the leg purposely is not an option. We are trained and required by law to use lethal force on a offender if we or a civilian are in fear for their life till the threat is eliminated which often times ends badly for offender. You state under oath in a court of law I just shot him in the leg to temporally maim him or fired a few warning shots in the air you will loose your job and go to jail most likely...It truely amazes me how people think police can dodge bullets or think the police should not shoot at anyone till fired upon, like we are some kind of fuckin super hero or something....sorry folks, it don't work That way although my childhood hero was Superman. Monday mournjng quarter backing is very easy, we all do it, but being in a 2 gun fights and 3 fights for my own service pistol has been the most stressful events in my life...time just stops and you feel like you are in the Matrix or something. Luckily for me my training kicked in and i won the battles.
    Also, you would find nobody to do this thankless job if you unarmed Police officers. That just would be suicidel for American Policing. Just my 2 cents worth from a now seasoned and salty ghetto cop, take it for what it's worth.

If you don't mind my asking....how many years have you been a cop?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    muskydan said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

I was thinking, it's not so much about "deserve to die" in this situation (if it indeed occurred as seen). It's more about if you do X, then it's likely Y or Z will happen. Consequences for actions, no matter whom.

Right and police are seriously outnumbering this guy so their reaction allowed victims reaction. Look I get it but let's step back and maybe look if there are better ways to handle. Maybe not, I don't know just we should think about strategy cops use sometimes for certain situations. Four unarmed cops could of detained this person. Shot him in leg who knows....
    Couple facts you need 2 know. Cops are not paid to fight fair. Like it or not it's A JOB and our first priority is to make sure you and your partner/fellow officers get home safe to our familes. This unique job comes with a higher standard of accountability than most professions, although many of you Would disagree with me on that I am sure. Police get fired for countless of reasons on the Job and even more during our personal life's...we step on our dicks often off-duty and the media just eats it up. I will never forget my first day on the job when my salty old field training officer told me, "congratulations kid, you Are now closer than you ever have been in your life to going to jail Than becoming the police". He was absolutely right. Seen many in my day go to the PEN justly and for complete BS.
    The suggestion of shooting a suspect in the leg purposely is not an option. We are trained and required by law to use lethal force on a offender if we or a civilian are in fear for their life till the threat is eliminated which often times ends badly for offender. You state under oath in a court of law I just shot him in the leg to temporally maim him or fired a few warning shots in the air you will loose your job and go to jail most likely...It truely amazes me how people think police can dodge bullets or think the police should not shoot at anyone till fired upon, like we are some kind of fuckin super hero or something....sorry folks, it don't work That way although my childhood hero was Superman. Monday mournjng quarter backing is very easy, we all do it, but being in a 2 gun fights and 3 fights for my own service pistol has been the most stressful events in my life...time just stops and you feel like you are in the Matrix or something. Luckily for me my training kicked in and i won the battles.
    Also, you would find nobody to do this thankless job if you unarmed Police officers. That just would be suicidel for American Policing. Just my 2 cents worth from a now seasoned and salty ghetto cop, take it for what it's worth.
    Dude,
    You missed your true calling.....
    You should've been a screenwriter for the Wire.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

there is a word in english,that police can do when there are 4 policemen and have a civilian on the ground instead of shoot to kill him..
    called "disarm "
    spread the word!!

dimi, it's not like he was just chilling on the ground, or they held him down and fired for fun. He was resisting and went for an officer's gun. Had he succeeded (I don't know if he actually got it or not), how could he have been disarmed, and at what risk to the officers and the other people around?

I can only go by what I've seen and heard thus far; maybe you've seen something different?

I'm not quite ready to damn these police officers (although apparently a shitload of death threats have been made). Rushes to judgment serve no purpose.

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    SD48277 said:

muskydan said:

Not long enough to collect my pension, but a long time. I still love it and laugh everyday at something...much better than cryin
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Doing police work is so easy. All the critics of police on this forum- that seemingly have all day to peck away on their keyboards have it way tougher and know so much better.

In another thread, I came across a sobering story that speaks to the reality of police work. A retired cop took his own life because he simply could not move past the horrors he came across in the line of duty.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/17/six-years-after-vince-li-beheaded-a-greyhound-passenger-another-death-mountie-at-the-scene-commits-suicide/

The 51-year-old member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is among 13 first responders who have killed themselves in the past 10 weeks, says the Tema Conter Memorial Trust, a group working to end the stigma of PTSD.

Wow. An impressive rate of decline for retired first responders.

Such an easy job.

And,
    "Says the keyboard warrior never placed in a situation where he is threatened."

What's with the attitude hombre?
    You post here as much as anyone.
    You don't know what threatening situations the posters here place themselves in.

Are you caught in situations where you are the victim of police brutality? If the standard of an opinion carrying weight is dependent on firsthand experience, then how does your opinion carry weight when you are sitting behind a keyboard and not being harassed by police?
    Homey,

I don't do anything as courageous as a police officer or soldier; therefore, I don't pretend to know how to 'best do the job' from my safe little perch on this planet. In my books, there's nothing worse than armchair critics.

I also don't do anything as stupid as to pick a fight with a cop- you know... try and grab their gun... that kind of moronic behaviour that sometimes leads to a response that is undesirable.

I'm not even going to respond to your last line of questions other than to say I flaunted my opinion just as much as our resident 'critics'.

Just talk to the guy... simply disarm him... wait in your car until the guy cools down... etc. Awesome suggestions! Gee... why don't the cops just do it like the 10C community says- we clearly have it all figured out!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

called "disarm "
    spread the word!!

dimi, it's not like he was just chilling on the ground, or they held him down and fired for fun. He was resisting and went for an officer's gun. Had he succeeded (I don't know if he actually got it or not), how could he have been disarmed, and at what risk to the officers and the other people around?

I can only go by what I've seen and heard thus far; maybe you've seen something different?

I'm not quite ready to damn these police officers (although apparently a shitload of death threats have been made). Rushes to judgment serve no purpose.

4 officers on 1 man who was getting tased at the moment and the only option was to kill. Clearly we know who's at the disadvantage here. And it's not the cops. 4 against 1. And who's the winner? The 4 and the 1 is dead as a door nail. Because cops have forgotten what "disarm" means, apparently. Disarm and detain, they don't do anymore. And people seem to support that. Gee, I wonder where the future is heading.

I'm not trying to get on you, Hedonist, I just wonder where the sense of some people are going, if they think that saving a life is not worth a damn. What is life worth is we as a nation support the killing (rather than disarming and detaining) that the cops do daily?
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

I was thinking, it's not so much about "deserve to die" in this situation (if it indeed occurred as seen). It's more about if you do X, then it's likely Y or Z will happen. Consequences for actions, no matter whom.

Right and police are seriously outnumbering this guy so their reaction allowed victims reaction. Look I get it but let's step back and maybe look if there are better ways to handle. Maybe not, I don't know just we should think about strategy cops use sometimes for certain situations. Four unarmed cops could of detained this person. Shot him in leg who knows....
    Dude,
    Although I am sure you are trying to be be funny that was Best cop show ever!!! The dope game stuff was so on point.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    muskydan said:

lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

Dude,
    Although I am sure you are trying to be be funny that was Best cop show ever!!! The dope game stuff was so on point.
    well,
    it was fiction after all.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    muskydan said:

SD48277 said:

muskydan said:

Not long enough to collect my pension, but a long time. I still love it and laugh everyday at something...much better than cryin
    Long enough that Dan has donut and coffee stains on his keyboard.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    rr165892 said:

muskydan said:

SD48277 said:

muskydan said:

Long enough that Dan has donut and coffee stains on his keyboard.
    I didn't realize that giving a specific number was difficult.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    hedonist said:

called "disarm "
    spread the word!!

if the 4 against 1 ,and the one on the floor,has only option shoot to kill,then the society and democracy and civil rights are dead...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

hedonist said:

called "disarm "
    spread the word!!

4 officers on 1 man who was getting tased at the moment and the only option was to kill. Clearly we know who's at the disadvantage here. And it's not the cops. 4 against 1. And who's the winner? The 4 and the 1 is dead as a door nail. Because cops have forgotten what "disarm" means, apparently. Disarm and detain, they don't do anymore. And people seem to support that. Gee, I wonder where the future is heading.

I'm not trying to get on you, Hedonist, I just wonder where the sense of some people are going, if they think that saving a life is not worth a damn. What is life worth is we as a nation support the killing (rather than disarming and detaining) that the cops do daily?
    A convicted criminal(of a violent crime) with a warrant tried to TAKE A COPS GUN.Non lethal force was not working restraining this guy.Ask yourself what if he did get the cops gun?How many cops and bystanders coulda been killed.Im not seeing the problem here.The idiot is lucky he didn't have 4 mags worth of 9mm emptied into his stupid ass.
  • Options

We're cool, bsL - not taking this personally at all.

Sort of echoing what rr said...

I don't know what preceded the shooting - but even if he was initially approached by one or two officers, the man fought them and tried to take their weapon. It seems like the scenario for something even worse happening than what did isn't far-fetched. Plus, the taser didn't faze him at all.

The man's reaction seems to have created that disadvantage.
  • Options

hedonist said:

called "disarm "
    spread the word!!

if the 4 against 1 ,and the one on the floor,has only option shoot to kill,then the society and democracy and civil rights are dead...
    I don't think it's as simple, or black and white as you're indicating.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I can't believe stories like this one get so much play and stories like Tamir Rice get passed over. A true tragedy and a cut and dry case where there is no rational reason for a 12 yr old boy to be dead, and it is always the controversial case that grabs attention.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited March 2015
    I'm really glad some of you here aren't in positions of power in politics. There would be no police force. Cops would be armed with Nerf guns and a spray bottle with Tabasco sauce in it.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    If cops are TRAINED to shoot and kill, then why bother having taser guns?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

What would you want to have for protection in you were a cop?
  • Options

I'm really glad some of you here aren't in positions of power in politics. There would be no police force. Cops would be armed with Nerf guns and a spray bottle with Tabasco sauce in it.

It's slowly getting there buddy. Pro-active policing will only get yourself fired or killed in today's climate. Law abiding tax payers will be the ones suffering the most when the bad guy no longer fears the police.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

It's slowly getting there buddy. Pro-active policing will only get yourself fired or killed in today's climate. Law abiding tax payers will be the ones suffering the most when the bad guy no longer fears the police.
    And the race war will engulf the nation and the streets will bleed...
  • Options
    badbrains said:

We use what we call the balancing test of our use of force model. For example, let's say dude is about to be placed into custody but does not have a plain view weapon in hand and does not comply to verbal commands expect to ride the lightening, get maced, or taken down by a myriad of control instruments. If same guy has a gun in his waist band and goes for his gun well you better Be ready to eliminate that threat.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Gambs,no pun intended but don't you think that those playing the race card on all these issues are quick to pull the trigger? I mean peeps were already marching in LA from what I read last night blaming this as another race ignited event ,they didn't have the facts.I think some of those folks are trying to create a divide.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Tabasco sauce is some dangerous stuff.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Don't tell me these cops COULDNT shoot this guy in the fucken leg to subdue him. I haven't watched the video but what I'm getting is that 4 cops vs 1 man. Look, I respect cops, some of my closest friends are cops, believe it or not, but some are just plain Dirty Harry out there. It's one thing if a civilian is shooting at you or coming at u with a knife, but to blast someone for a reason not worth killing him over is ridiculous. Hey, I'm not a cop, and I don't have to sleep at night dealing with any of the shit they do, but they took an oath to protect and serve. Shoot the fucker in the leg, man is down. Shoot him in both fucken legs for all I care, but why kill him?

Scott, u asked me what I'd want for protection if I was a cop, I'd say the same weapons they have. I just wouldn't shoot to kill unless warrantied. How about that person going home that night? Cops say they have that saying get home safe no matter what it takes. Well, how about having that person getting home safe to his family? It mite take him a few years after jail but at least he's alive.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Gambs,no pun intended but don't you think that those playing the race card on all these issues are quick to pull the trigger? I mean peeps were already marching in LA from what I read last night blaming this as another race ignited event ,they didn't have the facts.I think some of those folks are trying to create a divide.
    Sure, they are idiots for being so quick to pull the trigger! I don't think they are trying to create a divide at all, they are trying to address a divide which sincerely exists... And they are mostly doing it in the dumbest ways and over the dumbest circumstances possible.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Sure, they are idiots for being so quick to pull the trigger! I don't think they are trying to create a divide at all, they are trying to address a divide which sincerely exists... And they are mostly doing it in the dumbest ways and over the dumbest circumstances possible.
    Alrighty then.We agree
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Don't tell me these cops COULDNT shoot this guy in the fucken leg to subdue him. I haven't watched the video but what I'm getting is that 4 cops vs 1 man. Look, I respect cops, some of my closest friends are cops, believe it or not, but some are just plain Dirty Harry out there. It's one thing if a civilian is shooting at you or coming at u with a knife, but to blast someone for a reason not worth killing him over is ridiculous. Hey, I'm not a cop, and I don't have to sleep at night dealing with any of the shit they do, but they took an oath to protect and serve. Shoot the fucker in the leg, man is down. Shoot him in both fucken legs for all I care, but why kill him?

Scott, u asked me what I'd want for protection if I was a cop, I'd say the same weapons they have. I just wouldn't shoot to kill unless warrantied. How about that person going home that night? Cops say they have that saying get home safe no matter what it takes. Well, how about having that person getting home safe to his family? It mite take him a few years after jail but at least he's alive.
    You can't say you would've done anything different until you have actually felt your life in imminent danger. It's easy to say just shoot him in the leg from the comfort of our safe homes. Everybody is quick to criticize when it's someone else's life that is being threatened. If I feel someone trying to take my gun from me, I don't give a fuck if it's 40 to 1, that dude is going down.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

I don't know what preceded the shooting - but even if he was initially approached by one or two officers, the man fought them and tried to take their weapon. It seems like the scenario for something even worse happening than what did isn't far-fetched. Plus, the taser didn't faze him at all.

So actually Killing the man is A-OK with you. You and many here are not actually coming out and saying it, but sure are implying it. Not subdue him, or shoot in the leg, not care about HUMAN LIFE, but relentless flat out kill him. Like he's not worth a damn worth saving. The "blame the victim" mentality that's been thrown out a lot recently in these police stories.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

hedonist said:

So actually Killing the man is A-OK with you. You and many here are not actually coming out and saying it, but sure are implying it. Not subdue him, or shoot in the leg, not care about HUMAN LIFE, but relentless flat out kill him. Like he's not worth a damn worth saving.
    I'm fine with it. IF the events unfolded the way I've understood them. Same with that dude in ferguson. Moral of the story, don't try and take a cops gun from him.
This discussion has been closed.