3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    jamburger wrote:
    Jack Straw wrote:
    Took my 4 and 6 year olds last night. They loved it. People around us were all very friendly. Only advice I would give you is don't expect people around you to change their behaviors. Just know what you're exposing him to and be prepared to move if you need to. And I took a lot of heat on here when I said I was bringing them, so be ready to hear from a bunch of people who want to tell you how to parent your child. And lastly, have a blast.

Especially when you ask them for their advice.

Best post in the thread!
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    on2legs wrote:
    Only a complete idiot would bring a 3 year old to a rock concert. Are you going to expect everyone to stay calm, not get rowdy, not swear, and not drink too much around your 3 year old. If your kid gets bumped into are you going to blame the person or will you just admit that your a fucking idiot.

And we have a winner.

Current Champ: CorduroyKelly

Any challengers? Come on, there is still plenty of time before the show.

Wind this thing up.

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    oysterjar wrote:
    on2legs wrote:
    Only a complete idiot would bring a 3 year old to a rock concert. Are you going to expect everyone to stay calm, not get rowdy, not swear, and not drink too much around your 3 year old. If your kid gets bumped into are you going to blame the person or will you just admit that your a fucking idiot.

And we have a winner.

Current Champ: CorduroyKelly

Any challengers? Come on, there is still plenty of time before the show.
    Hmmmm, how bout this:

Here's some advice, dont have any more kids.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Jack Straw wrote:
    Took my 4 and 6 year olds last night. They loved it. People around us were all very friendly. Only advice I would give you is don't expect people around you to change their behaviors. Just know what you're exposing him to and be prepared to move if you need to. And I took a lot of heat on here when I said I was bringing them, so be ready to hear from a bunch of people who want to tell you how to parent your child. And lastly, have a blast.

Then this guy entered the discussion. :fp:
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    :nono:
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Hmmmm, how bout this:

Here's some advice, dont have any more kids.

Although the best advice so far, It doesn't have the sting of vulgarity. But I wasn't the one to crown the first champ either so its not my call...

Wind this thing up.

• Jack Straw wrote:

Your point? Cuz I don't remember saying a thing to you.
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • NorthShoreBluesNorthShoreBlues Posts: 181
    edited October 2013
    Jack Straw wrote:
    Jack Straw wrote:

Jack Straw, Really??? Shame on you for implicitly telling the OP its ok to bring a 3 year old to a Rock concert. Some people just need that one person to say its ok, not saying the OP needs it, but there are alot of people who do foolish things because they get validation from somewhere. Its on you now. God forbid anything happens to that child, it will be on your recommendation and on your conscience. As a pearl jam community a common sense approach must be had. Pearl Jam shows are not for 3 year olds.

P.S. Like your screen name, Ol' "Jack Straw from Witchita, cut his buddy down" . . . also one of the leaders of the Peasant Revolt circa 1381.

PPS Hope the Red Sox kick Detroit's ass!
    Post edited by NorthShoreBlues on
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    He has seen Dylan and the Black Keys and had a blast! Worried he won't make the length of a Pearl Jam show. I've got ear protection....Any other advice from parents?
    Bad move, and selfish on your part.
    3 is too young, not to mention inconsiderate to the people around you. You can make your case but I doubt the majority of the posters disagree with my opinion.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    kramer73 wrote:
    As a parent, I wouldn't, but that's your call.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbell_1 wrote:
    kramer73 wrote:
    As a parent, I wouldn't, but that's your call.

+1

+2
    "It's all happening"
  • TC282314TC282314 Posts: 378
    Selfish. You are doing this so you can brag about being a "cool" parent. I'm sure your 3 year old would rather do a 100 different things. There will be plenty of opportunities to have a good, memorable experience with your kid. This isn't the time!

Normally I would bite my lip because it's none of my business, but you asked. If you do bring your 3 year be safe and have fun.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    How anyone can think a Pearl Jam concert is an ok environment for a 3 year old is beyond me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes people can raise their kids however they want, but that doesn't mean it's ok or should be instantly accepted simply because that's what a parent wants for their kid.

In my opinion, the risk to reward ratio for taking a 3 year old to a Pearl Jam show should be enough to dissuade anyone from actually doing it. Seems like common sense to me.

OP can do whatever he wants. I know if it was me, I would want to enjoy the show rather than be worried about my three year old all night.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    nbpw89.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    How anyone can think a Pearl Jam concert is an ok environment for a 3 year old is beyond me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes people can raise their kids however they want, but that doesn't mean it's ok or should be instantly accepted simply because that's what a parent wants for their kid.

In my opinion, the risk to reward ratio for taking a 3 year old to a Pearl Jam show should be enough to dissuade anyone from actually doing it. Seems like common sense to me.

OP can do whatever he wants. I know if it was me, I would want to enjoy the show rather than be worried about my three year old all night.

Right on. I'm all for getting your kids into PJ and wanting them to experience the thrill of a concert, but when the time is right. Especially when people are fueled by alcohol and adrenaline, I'd be extremely worried about the safety of my child that I wouldn't even be able to listen to the music.

Hope all goes well for your kid's sake.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It seems like a really inconsiderate thing to do to the other people stuck anywhere near you at the show. I'd be pissed if I had the distraction of a three year old and a really silly parent next to me at a rock concert.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Speakless!
    You should get a babysitter and enjoy the show.
    Kids that age should be in bed at that daytime.
  • Jack Straw wrote:
    Jack Straw wrote:

You get my point.

You provided feedback on an open form so deal with it.

Then again one who brings young children to a concert (6 is still bad and 4 is inexcuseable) can't be considered to be too bright in the first place so I apologize; you most unfortunately probably did not "get it".
  • even flow = the new diaper break

How does a 3 year old have a blast at a dylan show? I saw him at 23 and i wanted to blow my brains out. I think 3 is a bit too young. I have a 6 year old neice who cant even sit still. just be prepared to have your child pucker out and exposed to mass amounts of marijuana smoke (although maybe that's what made dylan entertaining to him/her in the first place). but ultimately your call...
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    If there is a God your seats will be next to Mamasan23. You'll be fucked and will be gone before the second song starts.

I still can't stop shaking my head at this one.

Holy shit I peed my pants on that one! :lol::lol::lol:
    Pleeeeeease let this come true!!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I can't wait for the "I took my kid to the show and 5 songs in the guy behind us puked on him thread"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Then this guy entered the discussion. :fp:[/quote]

Your point? Cuz I don't remember saying a thing to you.[/quote]

You get my point.

You provided feedback on an open form so deal with it.

Then again one who brings young children to a concert (6 is still bad and 4 is inexcuseable) can't be considered to be too bright in the first place so I apologize; you most unfortunately probably did not "get it".[/quote]

I may not be that bright, but I know the difference between a forum and a "form". And so do my 4 and 6 year old. So fuck you.
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Jack Straw wrote:

I may not be that bright, but I know the difference between a forum and a "form". And so do my 4 and 6 year old. So fuck you.

Yep, you're not that bright. Real mature, too. :fp:
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    This is a joke, right? A 3 year old to a concert? Aside from being incredibly irresponsible, do you really think your kid even comprehends the show? Sounds more like a narcissistic parent thinking it is cool to bring a kid to a show.
  • i heard there are some folks out there that do or have urinated at their seats during pjs shows. i dont think id want to smell a dirty diaper at any part of the show... :nono:

"im about to explode...
    Cuz, I can't carry your load!"
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    You might as well bring your dog. Considering research into megacognitive knowledge and retention, your dog will get more out of a rock concert an your 3-year-old.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • "Jack Straw, Really??? Shame on you for implicitly telling the OP its ok to bring a 3 year old to a Rock concert. Some people just need that one person to say its ok, not saying the OP needs it, but there are alot of people who do foolish things because they get validation from somewhere. Its on you now. God forbid anything happens to that child, it will be on your recommendation and on your conscience. As a pearl jam community a common sense approach must be had. Pearl Jam shows are not for 3 year olds.

P.S. Like your screen name, Ol' "Jack Straw from Witchita, cut his buddy down" . . . also one of the leaders of the Peasant Revolt circa 1381.

PPS Hope the Red Sox kick Detroit's ass![/quote]

Seriously? You're insane. If you read his thread, he didn't ask if he should bring the kid, he's already bringing the kid. I don't know his kid, and would never tell him he should or shouldn't bring him. In fact, I told him to be prepared to move if a situation arises. So no, I won't feel the least bit responsible if something happens. I'm only responsible for my kids, and they had a great experience at their show.

PS- Fuck the Red Sox
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Sounds like $100 well spent.
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    edited October 2013
    Jack Straw wrote:
    "Jack Straw, Really??? Shame on you for implicitly telling the OP its ok to bring a 3 year old to a Rock concert. Some people just need that one person to say its ok, not saying the OP needs it, but there are alot of people who do foolish things because they get validation from somewhere. Its on you now. God forbid anything happens to that child, it will be on your recommendation and on your conscience. As a pearl jam community a common sense approach must be had. Pearl Jam shows are not for 3 year olds.

PPS Hope the Red Sox kick Detroit's ass!

Seriously? You're insane. If you read his thread, he didn't ask if he should bring the kid, he's already bringing the kid. I don't know his kid, and would never tell him he should or shouldn't bring him. In fact, I told him to be prepared to move if a situation arises. So no, I won't feel the least bit responsible if something happens. I'm only responsible for my kids, and they had a great experience at their show.

PS- Fuck the Red Sox

Sorry, Jack Straw, but it's very questionable parenting, not to mention utterly self-centered behavior. A further reflection of the OP's judgment: His decision to post about it in a public forum. I'm guessing there are issues with compulsive behavior and taking social cues at play.
    As I said above, you might as well bring your dog. Considering research into megacognitive knowledge and retention of adolescents, your dog will get more out of a rock concert than your 3-year-old or 4-year-old -- 6 is pushing it.
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    edited October 2013
    Just paint a target on the kid's shirt and use him/her as a baseball glove to catch one of ed's tambourine's. why the hell else would anyone in their right mind even think this is a good idea?
    Post edited by jimbojones1138 on