Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    I hope nobody now tells me there is no Santa Claus!! Luke Skywalker is spending time with the Dark Side!! It does seem to me there is some underlying hypocrisy with respect to their actions and words over the past 20 years. Everyone makes decisions that people disagree with and personally I don't like the idea of PJ playing the conference but my life will go on. I just want some good old fashion, ass kicking music that gets my blood pumping and makes my hair stand up!!!
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    I understand your point but:

1) The world has changed. Pearl Jam is a band but is also a business, employing hundreds, if not thousands of people, over the years. Either you evolve with the changing times or you die on the vine.

2) The band continues to donate to dozens of charities across the world. Even while making a profit, the band gives back to the community and to the world. The same can't be said for many other high profile bands and music acts.

3) Personally, I am thankful they are still an active band. If they have to do a corporate event or major festal every now and then to give them the opportunity to record the album they want to (and not a major record label), I'm cool with that.

4) The world isn't black and white and certainly isn't perfect. If you think the band is perfect in every way, you need to crawl from underneath the rock you are under.

Peace
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I would do a corporate gig... if I was talented... and people like what I did.
    It'd be a pretty easy gig... bring your own crew, minus the lighting and sound... bill them for the hotels... eat the free food... drink the free booze... play the hits... collect a big paycheck... steal the towels from the hotel.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Cosmo wrote:
    I would do a corporate gig... if I was talented... and people like what I did.
    It'd be a pretty easy gig... bring your own crew, minus the lighting and sound... bill them for the hotels... eat the free food... drink the free booze... play the hits... collect a big paycheck... steal the towels from the hotel.

Sellout ;)
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    GS4566GS4566 Posts: 53
    vedpunk wrote:

1) The world has changed. Pearl Jam is a band but is also a business, employing hundreds, if not thousands of people, over the years. Either you evolve with the changing times or you die on the vine.

2) The band continues to donate to dozens of charities across the world. Even while making a profit, the band gives back to the community and to the world. The same can't be said for many other high profile bands and music acts.

3) Personally, I am thankful they are still an active band. If they have to do a corporate event or major festal every now and then to give them the opportunity to record the album they want to (and not a major record label), I'm cool with that.

4) The world isn't black and white and certainly isn't perfect. If you think the band is perfect in every way, you need to crawl from underneath the rock you are under.

Peace

I'm thankful they still are a band also. I'm just disappointed. Especially, since they really have not had a proper US tour and and album in what seems like ages. I might (might) feel different if this was one of 45 stops on a major tour. Peace and Love.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    GS4566 wrote:
    vedpunk wrote:

Peace

I'm thankful they still are a band also. I'm just disappointed. Especially, since they really have not had a proper US tour and and album in what seems like ages. I might (might) feel different if this was one of 45 stops on a major tour. Peace and Love.

Peace and love, peace and love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAU0l7325w0
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    vedpunk wrote:

Peace

Yep this makes sense.

As for everyone complaining about it being for a corporation - Do you buy coca-cola? Do you use an ipad, iphone or Mac? Got a PS3? What car is it you drive? A big corporation one? Get off your soapboxes you bunch of hyprocrites lol :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    boyo79 wrote:
    vedpunk wrote:

Peace

Yep this makes sense.

As for everyone complaining about it being for a corporation - Do you buy coca-cola? Do you use an ipad, iphone or Mac? Got a PS3? What car is it you drive? A big corporation one? Get off your soapboxes you bunch of hyprocrites lol :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Everyone complaining didn't bitch about corporations for most of their career.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    boyo79 wrote:

sure, as consumers some of us choose to buy products from some corporations, obviously... the difference here is pearl jam is the product being bought by the corporation...

the mantra of "sponsored by no one" used to be so refreshing in this corporate dominated shithole of a society... but now even the best band in the world is sucking the corporate cock for easy paydays...

but what did we expect in a world that worships swooshes, golden arches, and designer sunglasses?

feel free to hate me for missing the good ol' days... but i do
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited August 2012
    my2hands wrote:
    the mantra of "sponsored by no one" used to be so refreshing in this corporate dominated shithole of a society... but now even the best band in the world is sucking the corporate cock for easy paydays...

but what did we expect in a world that worships swooshes, golden arches, and designer sunglasses?

feel free to hate me for missing the good ol' days... but i do

lol what. The good old days? "Sponsered by No One.." was never a mantra of the band. It was a shot at Ticketmaster, and a slogan for a tour, as in "we can do a tour without being sponsored by you." I seem to remember that tour going horribly and being one of the biggest failures in the bands history.. So I am not sure if you are referring to those good old days? Revisionist history is awesome when youre using it to try and prove YOUR point. Not A point.
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    Revisionist history is awesome when youre using it to try and prove YOUR point. Not a point.

true
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    PJ vs Ticketmaster will always come back to haunt the band. People need to let go what happened 16/17 years ago. Times and people change. I'm pretty certain people here do things differently than they did back in 1995.

The reaction to this is way over the top. Seems some people prefer to moan about the band rather than enjoy them nowadays

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    boyo79 wrote:
    PJ vs Ticketmaster will always come back to haunt the band. People need to let go what happened 16/17 years ago. Times and people change. I'm pretty certain people here do things differently than they did back in 1995.

The reaction to this is way over the top. Seems some people prefer to moan about the band rather than enjoy them nowadays
    some people prefer to moan while enjoying the band...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:

some people prefer to moan while enjoying the band...

Best of both worlds :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Yep this makes sense.

Most of the big databases are running Oracle RDBMS back ends. Chances are, if you've ever purchanced any thing online (including paying your bills online), you've used an Oracle product.
    Flip side. Those government databases that are gathering and storing data on you... more than likely, Oracle.
    So, pros and cons... just like just about everything in life in the 21st Century. Not much is black and white.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I just hope Green Disease is on the playlist...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    So, pros and cons... just like just about everything in life in the 21st Century. Not much is black and white.

The only thing "blacker" than black is the black diamond 8-)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    not saying I like it but lots of people play these corporate/private gigs now. bob dylan's been doing them for years. elton john played oracle open world a few years ago, dave matthews band has done them as well. the rolling stones have done them in the past for private individuals if the price was right.
  • Options
    arq wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

The only thing "blacker" than black is the black diamond 8-)
    2458248_700b.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    For the record, I'm just glad this event isn't being held in the south...that would add insult to injury.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    You think fans are upset now? Just wait until Backspacer II is released 4 years later...
  • Options
    I'll tell you what would be fucking AWESOME.
    If Pearl Jam plays a non-stop 3 hour set of nothing but songs they rarely, if ever, play.
    That way, the folks at the Openworld will send out a flurry of Tweets like, "What the fuck is this!!!??? @pearljam" and "When are they going to play 'Jeremy' or 'I'm Still Alive' or that other song?" or "Worst re-union EVER!!!" Then, head back to the bar for more free booze. And DougFloyd is one of the only 127 people who stay.
    And... people in the Fan Club will read the set list, and their heads will explode. Hopefully, their membership numbers will be lower than 139,794 and I move up to the closer seats.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Cosmo wrote:
    If Pearl Jam plays a non-stop 3 hour set of nothing but songs they rarely, if ever, play.
    That way, the folks at the Openworld will send out a flurry of Tweets like, "What the fuck is this!!!??? @pearljam" and "When are they going to play 'Jeremy' or 'I'm Still Alive' or that other song?" or "Worst re-union EVER!!!" Then, head back to the bar for more free booze. And DougFloyd is one of the only 127 people who stay.
    And... people in the Fan Club will read the set list, and their heads will explode. Hopefully, their membership numbers will be lower than 139,794 and I move up to the closer seats.

This, obviously, is the best case scenario possible.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

If there was an award for best post ever on this board, you would have just won it.

Well played.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

I said that yesterday!!

Imagine the fury on the boards lol

• Options
    For the record, I'm just glad this event isn't being held in the south...that would add insult to injury.

PBM

:lol:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    edited August 2012
    Cosmo wrote:

If there was an award for best post ever on this board, you would have just won it.

Well played.

Top 5 at least! "Worst reunion ever" That's awesome...and not far off.

Also, I joined about 500 peeps before you and am all for moving up as well.
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    arq wrote:

PBM

:lol:

No shit.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

PBM

zing.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Cosmo wrote:

LOL, you're cracking me up! I do plan to get there as early as possible and get up front as this is probably my only shot and being close to front row at a PJ show without winning the lottery. I love the thought of 40,000 Oracle DBAs going "Who the hell is Dirty Frank and when are they playing Jeremy?"
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis