Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Every time I wander into this thread, all I can think of is that part in Up In the Air where they sneak into the conference and Young MC comes out to sing Bust a Move.

Ed thought the front row in Vancouver was boring last year? Just wait till they get to play a corporate gig like this one where 99% of the people don't know what a Riot Act or a Binaural even is. ;)
    :lol: Yeah, he almost bashed some heads with the mic stand in Vancouver (almost glad I wasn't at that show). Just wait until they see the IT employees who just happen to be there as part of a conference! It's gonna be laaaaame!! Hope there is an open bar! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Every time I wander into this thread, all I can think of is that part in Up In the Air where they sneak into the conference and Young MC comes out to sing Bust a Move.

Ed thought the front row in Vancouver was boring last year? Just wait till they get to play a corporate gig like this one where 99% of the people don't know what a Riot Act or a Binaural even is. ;)

Perfect chance for them to reach some potential fans they normally wouldnt encounter... :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    I wonder if they were trying to tell us something with the "Shut Up And Listen" t-shirts on the Euro tour....
    :think: I did not know about these shirts. I do wonder what they meant actually. Could be any number of things.... Ah, fuck it. Who cares? :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    norm wrote:
    been a while since we've had a circle jerk on the porch...now, who will come first...the fans that are upset at the band, the fans that are upset at the upset fans or the fans that are upset at the fans who are upset with the fans that are upset at the band?

:crazy:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was just going to post a thought similar to this. It's now total mayhem with fans bitching at other fans about their level of knowledge about how corporate IT conferences work... :yawn:

:corn:
    And fans bitching about fans bitching about fans ... and so on. It's all good! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The people in my IT department are sent to conferences with bills of $2500 easy (for the whole trip anyway). Just the staff. They need to know their shit - it's professional development. IT people have to keep up on new technologies and shit. Their bosses generally recognize that.
    Absolutely....the previous position I had in my career was computer - based; I realize how quickly things change and how important it is to be constantly improving your education.
    But come on...this thing is NOT about education. That's a side-effect, and a way to justify it to your boss.
    I mean.....the Oracle site has this page:
    http://www.oracle.com/openworld/letter/index.html
    If you need assistance justifying that investment to your manager or supervisor, we have some suggestions that you can tailor to fit your specific situation.
    .....a form letter you can send your boss, with some vague BS about how great the conference is, without going into any detail about why it's great....

This is the promo video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riu0_4hui-Y
    Looks like a real serious business conference :lol:
    We started out agreeing...but we seem to argue a lot. Are you a Taurus by chance? :lol:
    Yes, I actually am a Taurus! That's so funny! :lol:
    I wish MY boss would send me to this conference... I bet I wouldn't have to fight to be at the rail! :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    djsmootdjsmoot Posts: 126
    Oracle to pay $2 million to settle foreign bribery case with US Securities and Exchange Commission - @Reuters http://bit.ly/NFRJdR

Fuel for the fire for those that care and don't care a like. :corn:

Please consider these additional facts (yes, I am an employee of Oracle):

A search on Oracle Charitable giving:

In FY10, Oracle donated more than US$9 million in cash to nonprofit organizations and more than US$2.3 billion in in-kind resources to educational institutions. For details regarding Oracle’s in-kind grants, see the Overview tab in the Education section of this report.
    Cash Grants

Commitment Grants

Oracle awards Commitment Grants of US$1 million to organizations that work globally to support math, science, technology education, or the environment.

Examples of recent Commitment Grants include:

Lawrence Hall of Science: Oracle’s grant to this internationally renowned museum and research center funds the creation of KidzScience, an after-school science-education program. Consisting of four hands-on science kits that map to K-5 chemistry, physical, environmental, and earth science standards, the KidzScience curriculum supports more than 45,000 K-5 students globally.
    National Geographic: Oracle’s grant helps fund Mission Blue, a five-year, US$70 million initiative to reverse ocean degradation. Launched in September 2010, this initiative is a sweeping combination of research, publicity, and education. Our donation funds much of the education effort. Beyond the grant, the Oracle Education Foundation has also linked National Geographic with its online learning community, ThinkQuest, Thousands of ThinkQuest users recently followed marine ecologist Dr. Enric Sala’s research expedition to Cocos Island, and they will follow future expeditions as well.
    Teach For All: Oracle’s grant expands the Teach For All network – which currently includes organizations in the U.S., UK, India, Australia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Germany, Estonia, Latvia, and Lebanon – to 12 additional countries. Our donation funds global infrastructure development, and the recruitment and training of 3,000 teachers in 23 countries.
    Susan G. Komen for the Cure: Oracle’s donation supports the development of the world’s first virtual tissue bank at the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center. This virtual bank transforms tissue specimens into free, digital data that is available online. Powered by Oracle technology, the bank opens breast cancer research to anyone with access to the Internet.

Impact Grants

Oracle awards Impact Grants to San Francisco Bay Area organizations that support math, science, technology education, or the environment. Approximately 40 to 50 grants are dispersed annually, ranging from US$10,000 to US$100,000. A list of recent Impact Grant recipients can be found at http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/citi ... 038275.htm.

Oracle matches employee’s charitable contributions up to US$300 per employee/year.

Disaster Relief

When a disaster occurs, Oracle matches employee contributions dollar-for-dollar. To make a significant impact and speed aid to those in need, we typically select one or two nonprofits as our disaster relief recipients.

Oracle’s recent disaster relief efforts include:

2010 Chile earthquake, with relief donations going the Chilean Red Cross.
    2010 Haiti earthquake, with relief donations going to AmeriCares.
    2009 Australia bush fire, with relief donations going to the Australian Red Cross.
    2009 Italy earthquake, with relief donations going to the Italian Red Cross.
    2008 China earthquake, with relief donations going to the American Red Cross.
    2008 Myanmar cyclone, with relief donations going to the American Red Cross.
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    Oracle to pay $2 million to settle foreign bribery case with US Securities and Exchange Commission - @Reuters http://bit.ly/NFRJdR

In FY10, Oracle donated more than US$9 million in cash to nonprofit organizations and more than US$2.3 billion in in-kind resources to educational institutions. For details regarding Oracle’s in-kind grants, see the Overview tab in the Education section of this report.
    Cash Grants

Commitment Grants

Oracle awards Commitment Grants of US$1 million to organizations that work globally to support math, science, technology education, or the environment.

Lawrence Hall of Science: Oracle’s grant to this internationally renowned museum and research center funds the creation of KidzScience, an after-school science-education program. Consisting of four hands-on science kits that map to K-5 chemistry, physical, environmental, and earth science standards, the KidzScience curriculum supports more than 45,000 K-5 students globally.
    National Geographic: Oracle’s grant helps fund Mission Blue, a five-year, US$70 million initiative to reverse ocean degradation. Launched in September 2010, this initiative is a sweeping combination of research, publicity, and education. Our donation funds much of the education effort. Beyond the grant, the Oracle Education Foundation has also linked National Geographic with its online learning community, ThinkQuest, Thousands of ThinkQuest users recently followed marine ecologist Dr. Enric Sala’s research expedition to Cocos Island, and they will follow future expeditions as well.
    Teach For All: Oracle’s grant expands the Teach For All network – which currently includes organizations in the U.S., UK, India, Australia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Germany, Estonia, Latvia, and Lebanon – to 12 additional countries. Our donation funds global infrastructure development, and the recruitment and training of 3,000 teachers in 23 countries.
    Susan G. Komen for the Cure: Oracle’s donation supports the development of the world’s first virtual tissue bank at the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center. This virtual bank transforms tissue specimens into free, digital data that is available online. Powered by Oracle technology, the bank opens breast cancer research to anyone with access to the Internet.

Impact Grants

Oracle awards Impact Grants to San Francisco Bay Area organizations that support math, science, technology education, or the environment. Approximately 40 to 50 grants are dispersed annually, ranging from US$10,000 to US$100,000. A list of recent Impact Grant recipients can be found at http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/citi ... 038275.htm.

Oracle matches employee’s charitable contributions up to US$300 per employee/year.

Disaster Relief

When a disaster occurs, Oracle matches employee contributions dollar-for-dollar. To make a significant impact and speed aid to those in need, we typically select one or two nonprofits as our disaster relief recipients.

2009 Australia bush fire, with relief donations going to the Australian Red Cross.
    Mitt Romney gives to charity too. Everyone vote for Mitt!
    Tax write offs are also a thing. And charity is a good way for corporations to deflect attention from the bad shit they do.
    ;)
    Seriously though... it must be weird and kind of annoying for you to read people trashing the company you work for.... No solution to that. Just sayin'. :?
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Sometimes I think Pearl Jam don't know what Riot Act or Binaural is
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    djsmoot wrote:

Cash Grants

Commitment Grants

Impact Grants

Disaster Relief

Tax write offs are also a thing. And charity is a good way for corporations to deflect attention from the bad shit they do.
    ;)
    Seriously though... it must be weird and kind of annoying for you to read people trashing the company you work for.... No solution to that. Just sayin'. :?

Yeah, you get kind of defensive. I am a long time PJ fan (110xxx) and I work for Oracle. What troubles me most are misconceptions and the flat out absence to fact/truth that has run rampant in this thread. I have been around this forum forever, I don't really post much, but this is the most active I have been in a thread.

Oracle has over 100k employees across the world and is a good company to work for. Every company across the globe has a-holes that work for them and do things (like the bribery issue above) that is not condoned by the mother ship, but that is one of the problems of a large company. Like the political attack ads that will annoy us to death in the next few weeks, I simply do not appreciate people taking small facts and using them to try to stir the pot. I am proud of the work that I do for Oracle and I take my career seriously.

Making broad statements like everyone is a millionaire in the audience is plain asinine. The people that are going to be in the crowd are guys like one of my best friends who travelled to Grand Rapids (man, the Deltaplex was a terrible venue) with me for the Vote For Change Tour and was right next to me at PJ20 or Joan, the IT Director for a Spirits company who works her tail off running her department and uses OpenWorld as a forum to improve her public speaking skills to a group of her peers and network for her company, or it could be one of my customers, a guy named Chris who is going to the conference to learn about one of the applications that he bought from us so that his company can get a better return on their investment ... he is also the same guy that coaches 5th grade football and has not seen PJ since 92 in Minneapolis. Not much different than the people on this board.

I love PJ and always have, but I have also used Ticketmaster to buy tickets and I swing into BP Amoco to get a fountain Diet Coke (because they have the lime shot that I can add to it) and my iphone runs over AT&T. We don't know what their motives are and I am sure the crowd at this event is going to have a good time (Sting and Petty put on a good show last year). I can understand that people have been attracted to this band for many reasons (as I have), but as Ed always encourages us to do, do our research before we make broad based asinine accusations.

See you at the next show.
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    djsmoot wrote:

Cash Grants

Commitment Grants

Impact Grants

Disaster Relief

;)

Yeah, you get kind of defensive. I am a long time PJ fan (110xxx) and I work for Oracle. What troubles me most are misconceptions and the flat out absence to fact/truth that has run rampant in this thread. I have been around this forum forever, I don't really post much, but this is the most active I have been in a thread.

Oracle has over 100k employees across the world and is a good company to work for. Every company across the globe has a-holes that work for them and do things (like the bribery issue above) that is not condoned by the mother ship, but that is one of the problems of a large company. Like the political attack ads that will annoy us to death in the next few weeks, I simply do not appreciate people taking small facts and using them to try to stir the pot. I am proud of the work that I do for Oracle and I take my career seriously.

Making broad statements like everyone is a millionaire in the audience is plain asinine. The people that are going to be in the crowd are guys like one of my best friends who travelled to Grand Rapids (man, the Deltaplex was a terrible venue) with me for the Vote For Change Tour and was right next to me at PJ20 or Joan, the IT Director for a Spirits company who works her tail off running her department and uses OpenWorld as a forum to improve her public speaking skills to a group of her peers and network for her company, or it could be one of my customers, a guy named Chris who is going to the conference to learn about one of the applications that he bought from us so that his company can get a better return on their investment ... he is also the same guy that coaches 5th grade football and has not seen PJ since 92 in Minneapolis. Not much different than the people on this board.

I love PJ and always have, but I have also used Ticketmaster to buy tickets and I swing into BP Amoco to get a fountain Diet Coke (because they have the lime shot that I can add to it) and my iphone runs over AT&T. We don't know what their motives are and I am sure the crowd at this event is going to have a good time (Sting and Petty put on a good show last year). I can understand that people have been attracted to this band for many reasons (as I have), but as Ed always encourages us to do, do our research before we make broad based asinine accusations.

See you at the next show.
    I am in complete agreement about the crap about millionaires being in the audience. That's ridiculous. Millionaires actually have better things to do than go to IT conferences. I have no doubt that the people who will be in the crowd are just completely normal people who work in IT. I don't think most of them are PJ fans, of course - the law of averages tells us that. Which is not to say there won't happen to be a smattering of them. I would call those people lucky, except that I think it will be a pretty shitty gig.

As for people here being hypocrites. Of course they are. Everyone is. Period. Hypocrisy can only be measured by degrees. But I guess that shouldn't stop people from voicing their opinions about shit.

I won't change my mind about PJ playing a corporate gig... it's just not them, and I don't understand why they're doing it. It doesn't make much sense, unless they are secretly going bankrupt.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,669
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    A million dollars??? That's not much at all anymore. Hell, the average price of a house in Vancouver is $700,000!!! Of course, when most people say "millionaire" they don't mean that the person have $1 million dollars. As you well know, I'm sure. But anyway, everyone from Pearl Jam is very well off, and we all know it, while at the same time knowing that they have overhead and taxes. Believe it or not, we understand finances! Jesus Christ, would you PLEASE stop accusing everyone of not understanding shit? It is so condescending, on top of being wrong. Surely you couldn't possibly think that you're the only person in this thread who has a concept of what is involved in the PJ business? We're all obsessed with them - we know what the deal is.

No one in this thread has any specific & credible insight into the band's business dealings. Having an obsession with the band to the point of speculating about their finances and earnings seems highly intrusive and strange to me. Furthermore, no one in this thread has any specific & credible insight into the band's contract with Oracle for their scheduled performance. It's all just innuendo
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    They are also philanthropists, political fund raisers and spokespeople at times, role models, musical geniuses, inspiration, callers for justice, even heroes to some (West Memphis 3 anyone?) ... and by their own design, not for just some delusion people putting them on pedestals. They actually do shit that creates these roles for them ... They mean more to a lot of people than just being entertainers.

And the fact they've been hired to play at a private event in no way diminishes their other interests/causes/contributions/efforts - so I ask again, what's the problem?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    100 Pacer wrote:
    so I ask again, what's the problem?

They, or at least Ed, is a hypocrite. That's the problem.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    BE9456BE9456 Posts: 148
    The problem is that instead of getting paid a million to play a huge show in GG park for their FANS, they decide to get paid a million to play for a bunch of corporate conference attendees.

That is the problem.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    djsmoot wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Making broad statements like everyone is a millionaire in the audience is plain asinine.
    I am in complete agreement about the crap about millionaires being in the audience. That's ridiculous. Millionaires actually have better things to do than go to IT conferences. I have no doubt that the people who will be in the crowd are just completely normal people who work in IT.
    Ok, I want to clarify, since Im not sure if you two are talking about me at all here....I never said anything about Oracle as a company. I don't know enough to comment on their business ethics.
    And all I said about the people in attendance is that the majority will likely not be more than casual PJ fans (no disputing this)....and that they either won't be paying, or money will be no object. I'm sure there will be some very well-off people there. Probably more 'millionaires' than your average concertference....it's the Tech industry, afterall...and I'm sure some people are going for business purposes. But I would be willing to wager that most of the courses/workshops/seminars being offered could be found for a lot less money or closer to home....I'm guessing that a lot of the people there will be people who were able to 'greenlight' the trip themselves, or deserving of some kind of perk.
    I always love the whole "I'm business networking" line of bullshit that upper management types love to give. I hear this all the time about those golf course meetings, strip club expense claims, liquid lunches, etc.....yes, there is a business aspect to all of that, but don't try to convince me that the actual POINT to going golfing was business :lol: You'd get your business done a lot more efficiently in an office. Just admit it - you're building personal relationships while pretending to work. And that's ok too...just don't try to bullshit me about it, ya know?
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I'm shocked this thread hasn't got to this point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

:D
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I wonder if this Oracle debacle could turn out to be the second-coming of No Code :D

The dream is over
    What can I say?
    The dream is over
    Yesterday
    I was the dream weaver
    But now I'm reborn
    I was the Walrus
    But now I'm John
    And so dear friends
    You just have to carry on
    The dream is over.........
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I thought Ed hated computers.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    A million dollars??? That's not much at all anymore. Hell, the average price of a house in Vancouver is $700,000!!! Of course, when most people say "millionaire" they don't mean that the person have $1 million dollars. As you well know, I'm sure. But anyway, everyone from Pearl Jam is very well off, and we all know it, while at the same time knowing that they have overhead and taxes. Believe it or not, we understand finances! Jesus Christ, would you PLEASE stop accusing everyone of not understanding shit? It is so condescending, on top of being wrong. Surely you couldn't possibly think that you're the only person in this thread who has a concept of what is involved in the PJ business? We're all obsessed with them - we know what the deal is.

No one in this thread has any specific & credible insight into the band's business dealings. Having an obsession with the band to the point of speculating about their finances and earnings seems highly intrusive and strange to me. Furthermore, no one in this thread has any specific & credible insight into the band's contract with Oracle for their scheduled performance. It's all just innuendo
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    They are also philanthropists, political fund raisers and spokespeople at times, role models, musical geniuses, inspiration, callers for justice, even heroes to some (West Memphis 3 anyone?) ... and by their own design, not for just some delusion people putting them on pedestals. They actually do shit that creates these roles for them ... They mean more to a lot of people than just being entertainers.

And the fact they've been hired to play at a private event in no way diminishes their other interests/causes/contributions/efforts - so I ask again, what's the problem?
    To your last point: Apparently, it does diminish something for some people, and some people do have a problem with it (again, I'm not all freaked out - I think it's dumb, but my feelings aren't diminished. Some people's are though). I mean, I can see that doing something that actively contradicts the messages they send out through their other interests/causes/contributions/efforts can definitely be the problem. That's how some see it. Again, this is a thread based purely on opinion and emotion. Hard to argue against either side!... which is probably why some of the thread fell into arguing about how people are getting their point across, rather than what their point actually is.
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Making broad statements like everyone is a millionaire in the audience is plain asinine.
    I am in complete agreement about the crap about millionaires being in the audience. That's ridiculous. Millionaires actually have better things to do than go to IT conferences. I have no doubt that the people who will be in the crowd are just completely normal people who work in IT.
    Ok, I want to clarify, since Im not sure if you two are talking about me at all here....I never said anything about Oracle as a company. I don't know enough to comment on their business ethics.
    And all I said about the people in attendance is that the majority will likely not be more than casual PJ fans (no disputing this)....and that they either won't be paying, or money will be no object. I'm sure there will be some very well-off people there. Probably more 'millionaires' than your average concertference....it's the Tech industry, afterall...and I'm sure some people are going for business purposes. But I would be willing to wager that most of the courses/workshops/seminars being offered could be found for a lot less money or closer to home....I'm guessing that a lot of the people there will be people who were able to 'greenlight' the trip themselves, or deserving of some kind of perk.
    I always love the whole "I'm business networking" line of bullshit that upper management types love to give. I hear this all the time about those golf course meetings, strip club expense claims, liquid lunches, etc.....yes, there is a business aspect to all of that, but don't try to convince me that the actual POINT to going golfing was business :lol: You'd get your business done a lot more efficiently in an office. Just admit it - you're building personal relationships while pretending to work. And that's ok too...just don't try to bullshit me about it, ya know?

Yea Dude I agree. My good friend works for pepsi and has a high level project managing postion and there was a conference in las vegas from the end of may thru july 4thish. He straight up told me its all bullshit and just a week of getting fucked up on the companies dime. Sounds like a vacation to me. Im not saying this is the same thing but lets be serious.

On the main point tho, I guess what bothers me is the hypocrisy. Not gonna hate the band or anything. Still flying from ny to montana, but I definitely would like to hear the bands perspective on this.
  • Options
    crussocrusso Posts: 45
    stickfig13 wrote:

You know, Jeff was wearing a Air Jordan shirt in Amsterdam this summer. Notice the moustache on Michael Jordan? Just saying ... ;)
    Claudio
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    BE9456BE9456 Posts: 148
    Still flying from ny to montana, but I definitely would like to hear the bands perspective on this.
    My mortgage is due and why play 10 shows for the same we can make in 1.
  • Options
    I thought Ed hated computers.
    Yeah, he does. I heard that he won't even use email. He dictates what he wants to email to his assistant, and she does it for him. :lol:

PS - I am so jealous of his assistant!
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No, I was not specifically talking about you, more of talking about some general themes from this thread.

You are correct, not everyone in attendance loves Pearl Jam like the people on this board. I personally do not care if the person I am sitting next to is rich or struggling to make ends meat, I am there to see a concert, not to look at the watches they are wearing.

This conference is an annual event, and while a course/class may be available in a local market, the pure scale of options for the attendees is not available anywhere else, full stop. I personally build agendas for the customers that I am responsible for, and I can say that they do take it seriously. They attendee break out sessions, demonstrations, network with other users, and seek out partners that can help them with their day-to-day activities, while managing there workload at home. Do they have fun, too, yes. I went to dinner with my customers, spent some time on a Harbor tour, and I went to the concert with them. We had fun and I built a better relationship with them while I was out there than I had in their office environment. Do people do other things, sure, but they do those things anyway. You just need to realize and understand that building relationships is part of many people's jobs, and those that are effective at building relationships are more successful at what they do.
  • Options
    crusso wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

You know, Jeff was wearing a Air Jordan shirt in Amsterdam this summer. Notice the moustache on Michael Jordan? Just saying ... ;)

The jordan hitler stache was disturbing/hilarious.
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I wasn't talking about you - just generally. But honestly, I don't know exactly who would be going to this conference in particular. All I know is that my boss regularly sends IT support staff to conferences like this, and I work for a public university, so it's not like money is no object - we're on a budget. And those from my office who go to those conferences are apparently surrounded by people just like them. Sure, maybe there will be top level corporate folks there too... probably. They need to keep updated in the IT world too, presumably. Top level corporate "business networking" like expensive drunken dinners and golf and shit though? Yeah, I'm with you. Give me a fucking break! I mean, speaking of circle jerks! :D Do those fuckers even go to concerts? I mean, they'd have to mix with the plebs then. ;)

Not that that is the point of this thread, lol. Pearl Jam... don't play any more corporate gigs please. Can't you see what it's doing to us?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    halv wrote:
    There is just no denying that playing a conference is ultra-lame. I work in tourism and attend a lot of conferences. Any time a band plays any of these it is just so cheesy. It always drops my opinion of the band. Leave those shows to the Black Eyed Peas and Justin Beiber, even Elton John. But Pearl Jam....my heart breaks.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    stickfig13 wrote:

The Godwin's Law of Pearl Jam threads involves quoting Green Disease.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    -Emma- wrote:
    Because of the Oracle performance, somebody on tumblr made a PJ logo similar to the PJ20 logo, but they put PJ$$. Bit harsh!

thats not harsh, thats f'n rock & roll and i love it!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    pjl44 wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

The Godwin's Law of Pearl Jam threads involves quoting Green Disease.

Or George Dubya
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013