Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    ComeToTX wrote:
    These guys were rich by 1993. Nobody wants them to be dirt poor. They're already millionaires. They have been for 20 years.

So you would understand the concept of it being "expensive" to be a millionaire?

People have no real concept of what a million dollars is anyways. Think it's a lot? Try buying a house anywhere worth living in in the Bay Area.

People also dont have any idea how much these guys make a gig, its more than most of you but it's not some astronomical amount. There are huge bills that come along with being Pearl Jam, you have no idea. Now others are depending on them for a large portion, if not all, of their families lively hoods.

Cost of doing business these days, you have to do favors for friends so you can keep the wheels moving. Cant understand that simple fact? Good luck to you during the Forth Turning, you are going to need it my friend.

:wave:
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    SolarWorld wrote:

As for the conference....you talk like the attendees are paying $2500 for this out of pocket, and are there solely to learn....c'mon man. Anyone who pays this out of pocket is a biz owner who is writing it off, or they're so loaded they don't give a shit how much it costs. You KNOW the average attendee was offered a trip to this thing as a perk, not as a way to further their career, or learn about the latest software. Do you work in the IT industry? I don't....but I know how it is in my industry, and every other industry that I know people in. it's a free vacation with a work veil. But keep looking down your nose with your superior worldview, telling everyone else they don't know what they're talking about....since apparently you are (sorry, your wife is) the only person who knows what goes on at biz conferences.

I'm not calling anyone money-grubbing assholes...my issue is that the band doesnt' seem to care about the optics of playing this gig...which sends a message that they don't care about their fans opinions at all. Which is fine, but like I said...the risk is losing long time fans over a one-time payday. Their prerogative.

You dont have the slightest idea what, first, things cost in the Bay Area and two, what IT education costs. People in the Bay have money to pay this all day long. You are kidding yourself if you think its just companies are just writing checks sending people to these things.

And yes I WILL continue to look down my nose at people that continue to be clueless about how things work.

"Jeee wizzz, why did my favorite band that (in my little fantasy world) wants to be dirt poor and barely make it, do this cushy cooperate gig, I just cant figure it out..."
    ya, clueless....I got back from SF on Tuesday....but you're right, I have no clue how much things cost there. :roll:
    What does IT education costs have to do with this? IT wages, maybe, but education?
    And.....did I not also say of some attendees - 'or they're so loaded they don't give a shit how much it costs'.....? Even if that's the case...you know they're writing off the expense.
    hey, if that's the audience PJ wants to perform for, power to 'em. I just hope they aren't surprised when their current choices begin to result in declining ticket sales. The '1%' isn't exactly a large, devout, demographic.
    You haven't the slightest idea what fantasy world I live in. I'm getting the feeling that yours involves a perch, a lot of chirping, a lot of shitting on people.....and concentrating really hard in seminars.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    ComeToTX wrote:
    These guys were rich by 1993. Nobody wants them to be dirt poor. They're already millionaires. They have been for 20 years.

That is my point when you have people saying "they have families now and have to put food on the table."

Pearl Jam could never record another song or play another show in their life and guess what? They will still have food on the table for the rest of their lives, their kids lives, and their grandkids lives.

Cash grab corporate gigs are just weak, weak, weak. At least when you refuse to tour any more and when you do only play the same 10 states. I know, I know... it's a disease and they're all green...
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Actually, I think he's either:

a) one of the road crew
    or
    b) one of the conference attendees

One thing that is for certain: he's smarter than anyone on this board. Not sure why he'd waste his energy arguing with such simpleminded folk.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,659
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:
    :?

I can't believe this is such a hotly-contested issue.

They're entertainers. They're being paid to entertain. End of story.
    Clearly, not for some people. ;) Not for me - they're more than just entertainers for me, and for others... and, from what I can tell, for themselves. Some things just matter to some, while they don't to others. I understand why some don't care at all. I'm personally fairly middle of the road about it - disappointed but forgiving. Others care a lot and it's shaking their faith a tiny bit. I think all viewpoints are valid because in this case they reflect our valid perspectives of the band (and the world). I just don't like that tendency some people have to accuse people who don't agree with their opinions of "not getting it". Hey, we totally get it. We just don't agree with you.

To what status have they been elevated to if not entertainers (in this setting)?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, well with that I'll disagree. Most of the people who attend these conferences are IT professionals who are sent by their employers, and the intent is indeed to learn some shit. That doesn't mean that it isn't basically a free vacation for the employee - that's still true! But it's not meant as a perk at all, and there do actually have to attend some workshops and learn something. Most employers make employees report on what it is they took away from the conference when they get back. And $2500 isn't totally out of line for such a conference. It's a bit pricey, but not way out there. That being said, I don't know a single person who wouldn't rather go and relax at a conference that offers rock concerts and parties at nice hotels after the couple of easy going and perfectly simple workshops than stay home and actually work! Because one thing that these conferences aren't is work!
    No, you're right, it's not 100% a vacation. Probably about 90% :lol:
    How is it not considered a perk if it's a trip to a nice hotel, with PJ playing, it's not work, simple workshops, and a few scratchnotes is all that's required of you? Pretty sure most companies are sending people they want to keep happy - upper management etc; not just some programmer or IT call centre scrub.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    rrivers wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

As for the conference....you talk like the attendees are paying $2500 for this out of pocket, and are there solely to learn....c'mon man. Anyone who pays this out of pocket is a biz owner who is writing it off, or they're so loaded they don't give a shit how much it costs. You KNOW the average attendee was offered a trip to this thing as a perk, not as a way to further their career, or learn about the latest software. Do you work in the IT industry? I don't....but I know how it is in my industry, and every other industry that I know people in. it's a free vacation with a work veil. But keep looking down your nose with your superior worldview, telling everyone else they don't know what they're talking about....since apparently you are (sorry, your wife is) the only person who knows what goes on at biz conferences.

I'm not calling anyone money-grubbing assholes...my issue is that the band doesnt' seem to care about the optics of playing this gig...which sends a message that they don't care about their fans opinions at all. Which is fine, but like I said...the risk is losing long time fans over a one-time payday. Their prerogative.

You dont have the slightest idea what, first, things cost in the Bay Area and two, what IT education costs. People in the Bay have money to pay this all day long. You are kidding yourself if you think its just companies are just writing checks sending people to these things.

And yes I WILL continue to look down my nose at people that continue to be clueless about how things work.

"Jeee wizzz, why did my favorite band that (in my little fantasy world) wants to be dirt poor and barely make it, do this cushy cooperate gig, I just cant figure it out..."

My issue is not that Pearl Jam is not entitled to be super rich or make all the money they want. If Ed stops complaining from the stage and writing songs about the rich, corporations, etc. go ahead and play any gig you want. But if you (speaking about Ed, not SolarWorld) are going to continue to do so, you have to expect people to say, "Wait a minute, he's saying this and doing that? Hmmm."

And I'm not one who is offended they are doing this, I just can understand where people are coming from.
    Right. I've always kind of valued Eddie as someone who basically practices what he preaches (not on a Jesus level, but in a real world kind of way). But this... this isn't practicing what he preaches at all, hence my disappointment. Ed's human... so it's okay. I just hope he doesn't make a habit of it. I hope this is just a temporary detour from his usual path. I wonder if Stone isn't being placated or something too. I think of Stone as the one who wouldn't give a shit about this stuff; I never thought he felt strongly about such things like Ed and Jeff. And I'm not sure Mike cares too much either. This could be Ed and Jeff bending to what Stone thinks is something they should just do for the money, because Stone's feeling like his viewpoints are overshadowed by Ed's more idealistic ones. *shrug* Total conjecture, obviously.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

Clearly, not for some people. ;) Not for me - they're more than just entertainers for me, and for others... and, from what I can tell, for themselves. Some things just matter to some, while they don't to others. I understand why some don't care at all. I'm personally fairly middle of the road about it - disappointed but forgiving. Others care a lot and it's shaking their faith a tiny bit. I think all viewpoints are valid because in this case they reflect our valid perspectives of the band (and the world). I just don't like that tendency some people have to accuse people who don't agree with their opinions of "not getting it". Hey, we totally get it. We just don't agree with you.

Well put PJ_Soul ;)
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    PJFLAPJFLA Posts: 30
    edited August 2012
    Technically, I would imagine Pearl Jam is set up as an LLC.[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+LLC+mean%3F[/quote]

Back at ya solarworld... Not my first corp rodeo...

http://www.ehow.com/about_4611982_what- ... -mean.html
    Post edited by PJFLA on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, well with that I'll disagree. Most of the people who attend these conferences are IT professionals who are sent by their employers, and the intent is indeed to learn some shit. That doesn't mean that it isn't basically a free vacation for the employee - that's still true! But it's not meant as a perk at all, and there do actually have to attend some workshops and learn something. Most employers make employees report on what it is they took away from the conference when they get back. And $2500 isn't totally out of line for such a conference. It's a bit pricey, but not way out there. That being said, I don't know a single person who wouldn't rather go and relax at a conference that offers rock concerts and parties at nice hotels after the couple of easy going and perfectly simple workshops than stay home and actually work! Because one thing that these conferences aren't is work!
    How is it not considered a perk if it's a trip to a nice hotel, with PJ playing, it's not work, simple workshops, and a few scratchnotes is all that's required of you? Pretty sure most companies are sending people they want to keep happy - upper management etc; not just some programmer or IT call centre scrub.

actually, most people I know who travel for work, at my work and friends and family, do not think of travelling for work as a perk. it's more annoying than anything. especially if you have a family.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Would PJ play a private show for a Japanese whaling company or Mitt Romney's Campaign?

I am just realy wondering why they would say yes to play at something so corporate :?:
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Every time I wander into this thread, all I can think of is that part in Up In the Air where they sneak into the conference and Young MC comes out to sing Bust a Move.

Ed thought the front row in Vancouver was boring last year? Just wait till they get to play a corporate gig like this one where 99% of the people don't know what a Riot Act or a Binaural even is. ;)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Every time I wander into this thread, all I can think of is that part in Up In the Air where they sneak into the conference and Young MC comes out to sing Bust a Move.

Ed thought the front row in Vancouver was boring last year? Just wait till they get to play a corporate gig like this one where 99% of the people don't know what a Riot Act or a Binaural even is. ;)

BINGO
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    been a while since we've had a circle jerk on the porch...now, who will come first...the fans that are upset at the band, the fans that are upset at the upset fans or the fans that are upset at the fans who are upset with the fans that are upset at the band?

:crazy:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    been a while since we've had a circle jerk on the porch...now, who will come first...the fans that are upset at the band, the fans that are upset at the upset fans or the fans that are upset at the fans who are upset with the fans that are upset at the band?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Im just upset that they made me feel upset about being upset :lol:
  • Options

actually, most people I know who travel for work, at my work and friends and family, do not think of travelling for work as a perk. it's more annoying than anything. especially if you have a family.
    I realize that...I travel for work....people do find it annoying, if it's for work, like an unnecessary meeting in Buttfuck, Nebraska.....
    this is for a PJ concert/conference in CA....there are probably some people who have no desire to attend, and have to (great ppl to play a show for!)....and a whole lot who are looking forward to it, for reasons other than work.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    norm wrote:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was just going to post a thought similar to this. It's now total mayhem with fans bitching at other fans about their level of knowledge about how corporate IT conferences work... :yawn:

:corn:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options

this is what i said on page 17(lol) and it truly is a weird bunch of people to even WANT to play for
    the band is playing for 99% NONfans
    i don't get that at all
    why bother at this stage of their careers?
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    norm wrote:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was just going to post a thought similar to this. It's now total mayhem with fans bitching at other fans about their level of knowledge about how corporate IT conferences work... :yawn:

:corn:
    I know nothing about IT conferences. I know a lot about other conferences. Are IT conferences different?
    It's not like I'm trying to make attendees feel guilty about not working hard :lol: If I was in IT, I'd be hoping I could go, and have the excuse that it's for work.
    I'm just saying....it's not all about business at these things, in my experience with other industries.
    Which takes me back to the point I made that started that discussion:
    PJ is playing an exclusive corporate party, for well-off people who likely won't pay a dime to be there...that's really all I was getting at. Kinda like a free show in Central Park, only ....not. I'm pretty sure you're not forkin over $2500, are ya?
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

So you would understand the concept of it being "expensive" to be a millionaire?

People have no real concept of what a million dollars is anyways. Think it's a lot? Try buying a house anywhere worth living in in the Bay Area.

People also dont have any idea how much these guys make a gig, its more than most of you but it's not some astronomical amount. There are huge bills that come along with being Pearl Jam, you have no idea. Now others are depending on them for a large portion, if not all, of their families lively hoods.

Cost of doing business these days, you have to do favors for friends so you can keep the wheels moving. Cant understand that simple fact? Good luck to you during the Forth Turning, you are going to need it my friend.

:wave:
    A million dollars??? That's not much at all anymore. Hell, the average price of a house in Vancouver is $700,000!!! Of course, when most people say "millionaire" they don't mean that the person have $1 million dollars. As you well know, I'm sure. But anyway, everyone from Pearl Jam is very well off, and we all know it, while at the same time knowing that they have overhead and taxes. Believe it or not, we understand finances! Jesus Christ, would you PLEASE stop accusing everyone of not understanding shit? It is so condescending, on top of being wrong. Surely you couldn't possibly think that you're the only person in this thread who has a concept of what is involved in the PJ business? We're all obsessed with them - we know what the deal is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Oracle to pay $2 million to settle foreign bribery case with US Securities and Exchange Commission - @Reuters http://bit.ly/NFRJdR

Fuel for the fire for those that care and don't care a like. :corn:
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I wonder if they were trying to tell us something with the "Shut Up And Listen" t-shirts on the Euro tour....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

To what status have they been elevated to if not entertainers (in this setting)?
    They are also philanthropists, political fund raisers and spokespeople at times, role models, musical geniuses, inspiration, callers for justice, even heroes to some (West Memphis 3 anyone?) ... and by their own design, not for just some delusion people putting them on pedestals. They actually do shit that creates these roles for them ... They mean more to a lot of people than just being entertainers.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The people in my IT department are sent to conferences with bills of $2500 easy (for the whole trip anyway). Just the staff. They need to know their shit - it's professional development. IT people have to keep up on new technologies and shit. Their bosses generally recognize that.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I feel like some of you think if you stick up for the band long and hard enough that maybe Kat or Sea will give you a free years membership. Hilarious.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

I don't think I get the circle jerk thing... I mean, I get it, but... I don't get it. I don't THINK I'm engaging in a mental masturbation orgy, but I could be wrong! :lol:
  • Options
    I feel like some of you think if you stick up for the band long and hard enough that maybe Kat or Sea will give you a free years membership. Hilarious.
    I stick up for the band because I love Pearl Jam! I never was good at hearing bad things said about the things I love! :D
  • Options
    Not sure if mentioned, but maybe PJ will begin to stream some live concerts. Sure with all the intelligent IT people they come up with some high def solutions.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Really? Everyone I know and work with who go to conferences enjoy it. Not those who "travel for work" though. Two different things.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The people in my IT department are sent to conferences with bills of $2500 easy (for the whole trip anyway). Just the staff. They need to know their shit - it's professional development. IT people have to keep up on new technologies and shit. Their bosses generally recognize that.
    Absolutely....the previous position I had in my career was computer - based; I realize how quickly things change and how important it is to be constantly improving your education.
    But come on...this thing is NOT about education. That's a side-effect, and a way to justify it to your boss.
    I mean.....the Oracle site has this page:
    http://www.oracle.com/openworld/letter/index.html
    If you need assistance justifying that investment to your manager or supervisor, we have some suggestions that you can tailor to fit your specific situation.
    .....a form letter you can send your boss, with some vague BS about how great the conference is, without going into any detail about why it's great....

This is the promo video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riu0_4hui-Y
    Looks like a real serious business conference :lol:
    We started out agreeing...but we seem to argue a lot. Are you a Taurus by chance? :lol: