Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    My 2c:
    If we’re going to look at PJ as a business (and not as the group of artists they forever wanted us to view them as), we can analyze their actions using capitalist terms: risk/reward.
    Out of all of the things people have called PJ a sellout for: YL on Friends, the Target stuff, Ed marrying models, playing CEO bday parties, attending black-tie circle jerks, making videos, ticket prices, meet n greets, etc….this is the first time I just can’t justify the optics to myself….I don’t like the end result of examining the risk/reward of the Oracle gig.

Nearly every sellout accusation against PJ can be justified as the band looking to stay relevant via increased marketing (Target), personal favours (bday party, possibly YL), changing music biz (ticket prices), or none-of-our-damn-business (who Ed married). At least with the Target gig, with the risk being fan backlash, there was a reward in the business relationship that allowed them wide, hassle-free distribution….which benefits fans and exposes the band to potential new fans. And they HAVE to KNOW there is going to be a backlash, after their decades of preaching against the man…….With this gig…the risk is the same (fan backlash)…but the only reward I see is a big payday. Maybe there is a personal favour angle or something....but even so, at face value, I can't see a reward that justifies the risk. There is no benefit to anyone but Oracle, a few employees who are fans, and PJ’s wallet. So reading between the lines, it’s a selfish act that they KNOW will tarnish their image and piss off a lot of their long-time fans…and they don’t give a shit. Fuck ‘em, right? They’ll get over it, right? I dunno….

I’ve never looked at Chris Cornell the same since he cancelled a show to play for some jeans company execs. I still listen to him and support him….but I lost a TON of respect for him from an integrity standpoint. At least PJ didn’t cancel on their fans to do this show instead. That would be damn near unforgiveable. Wait, when was that second night in Missoula supposed to happen? I’m pretty disappointed by this. No fuckin Messiah indeed.k, that was more like $2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,625
    my2hands wrote:
    -Emma- wrote:
    Because of the Oracle performance, somebody on tumblr made a PJ logo similar to the PJ20 logo, but they put PJ$$. Bit harsh!

thats not harsh, thats f'n rock & roll and i love it!!!! :lol:
    I agree! It IS still a rock band! They should be able to handle it! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

do you know what inflation means? $20 for a show 15 YEARS AGO is the same as $80 for a show now. I have paid way more for bands that are inferior to Pearl Jam over the years. And none of those bands play for nearly 3 hours and play 30 songs.

NONE.
    I was gonna say the same thing. They really aren't charging much more for tickets now than they ever were after taking inflation into account.

Um...$20 in 1994 (when I first saw them) is equal to just under $31 in today's dollars.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm/

ding ding ding!!! isnt it funny how actual facts get overlooked so easily nowadays? :lol:
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I was gonna say the same thing. They really aren't charging much more for tickets now than they ever were after taking inflation into account.

Um...$20 in 1994 (when I first saw them) is equal to just under $31 in today's dollars.

ding ding ding!!! isnt it funny how actual facts get overlooked so easily nowadays? :lol:
    Catch up my2 hands! We addressed that! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    can all the Techie people at the show huddle up and at least help fix this Beta forum while they are all there standing around watching our band?
  • Options
    can all the Techie people at the show huddle up and at least help fix this Beta forum while they are all there standing around watching our band?
    Maybe THAT'S why they booked it!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    -Emma- wrote:
    Because of the Oracle performance, somebody on tumblr made a PJ logo similar to the PJ20 logo, but they put PJ$$. Bit harsh!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    You haven't the slightest idea what fantasy world I live in. I'm getting the feeling that yours involves a perch, a lot of chirping, a lot of shitting on people.....and concentrating really hard in seminars.

absolute classic... i'm getting a headache hearing the same person scream "you are clueless" every 4 posts :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    Yo, band members and band management... and some of you "grab the money and run" fans of the band...

i will cut right through the thick of it... no matter how big of a payday it is... even if they were the best corporation EVER and rainbows shot out of Larry Ellisons ass that cured cancer...

playing a business conference is fucking LAME... and you know it...

wtf happened to your balls?
  • Options
    and if any of you need proof of this statement above... why do you think there will be no official mention of this "show", or any listing of it under a tour or setlist index?

because they know it's weak
  • Options
    tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    I love this whole ideals thing and that people think PJ have changed or sold out because they've made deals with Target and now this Oracle event.

The same band that releases nearly every show its played since 2000 on cd. Yeah, cos that's not a money-maker is it?!? :lol::lol::lol: They've sold over 3 million bootlegs since 2000. The point is they've always been making money and are extremely wealthy. Have you ever thought there is a certain sense of irony in a rich man singing Green Disease or Soon Forget? But on the other hand, whilst they make alot of money they give to charity as well. There's there Vitalogy Foundation that benefits from ticket sales and just go look at the Activism page on here.

We don't know why they are playing this gig and it doesn't really matter why they are. Not to me anyway. I don't care, they are free to do what they want. Any band is. I'd probably do the same thing if I was in a band. They certainly shouldn't be issuing a statement saying why they are playing :roll: :roll:
    Releasing their own CDs isn't the same at all. :roll: I don't think anyone here is disappointed because they make money. I think some are overreacting, as I've explained in previous posts here, but come on. It's not hard to understand why people are confused and annoyed by this. It's not because they are making money. It's because of what playing a private corporate conference represents vs the viewpoints that they have always and still do purport to hold and express. For me it's a mistake or bad judgment that I can forgive, but I guess some others feel more strongly about what it means to them. I wish some of you would stop acting like those people are morons. People feel different things for different reasons - at least respect their feelings, even if you aren't reacting the same way to the whole thing.

I've read the first 34 pages of this thread.
    For the most part I'm indifferent to the situation. Although I will admit it doesn't smell right.
    PJ_Soul makes a very good point here. Some people in this thread need to remember...

DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE!!!!
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    my2hands you are a very angry person right now.

Chill out it's a concert. Is it lame yeah i guess but at the end of the day i don't really care. I still like the music and will renew my membership and let's be honest a couple of weeks after the date nobody will care. Again dude chill just a concert.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    Over the years, Eddie has mixed more and more with the likes of Springsteen, Bono, Tom Petty, The Stones, etc. Recently been playing Mother (by Waters). He looks up to them, and they are all big money chasers, pulling in millions. I love some of these acts, but it doesn't stop the fact that they are businessmen and their music is their business.

At some point he probably thought to himself, well if it is good enough for some of my idols, then maybe it isn't so bad for us. If Petty played this gig last year, then why can't we?

It seems that they have reached the point where they don't really want to play that much anymore. A few shows is enough for them. They are entitled to feel that way, nothing lasts forever, but it is sad for the fans. A shitty corporate gig is a bitter pill to swallow.

And some in here mentioning they might be playing for Oracle because PJ is some huge enterprise that needs feeding with cash? Please. They are all rich motherfuckers and don't need to do this particular show. Nowadays they just want the quick option. They have other priorities. The Mexico & South American shows were perfect. They could play to massive stadiums and pulled in $25 million at the box office from a short run of shows (Billboard Boxscore).

They can play for Oracle for an hour instead of 2.5. Probably play with rented gear that they don't have to transport, maybe bring a few favourite guitars along. I'd say Oracle is paying them the equivalent of doing 3-4 regular shows, and the band would have less overheads = life is easy.

I reckon Jeff would be the one most likely to be against it. Wouldn't be surprised if the Montana show was some way of appeasing him. Just because it was announced first, doesn't mean they didn't already know about the San Fran show.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

do you know what inflation means? $20 for a show 15 YEARS AGO is the same as $80 for a show now. I have paid way more for bands that are inferior to Pearl Jam over the years. And none of those bands play for nearly 3 hours and play 30 songs.

NONE.

I'm no Econ major, and I am not totally coming to the band's defense, but without question, the cost of touring has gone up a huge amount in the past 18-20 years, based on gasoline alone. All those trucks and planes to move people and equipment is not cheap. When taking into consideration that according to the US Dept of Energy, the average price of gas in 1994 was $1.077, adjusted for inflation using the calculator provided, that is roughly $1.66, which is no where near what we are paying at the pump. My point is, there is a lot more that goes into it, and just simply adjusting the price of a ticket in 1994 for inflation, isn't really fair when you don't consider other factors.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    KG1450KG1450 Posts: 11
    Ha, I feel bad for PJ and crew, nothing they do is ever good enough for their self entitled fans!! I have been in the fan club since the early days, enjoyed 57 amazing shows,always in great seats at a great price! I am now an adult instead of a 20 yr fan, and appreciate any chance I get to see them live. As an IT professional who works with Oracle daily, I have wanted to attend OpenWorld since 1997, so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out? While Larry Ellison is over the top at times, his company has built what Many consider to be the best product in their space, so however successful oracle or Larry is, it is not my place to complain. To my knowledge, oracle products are not made in Chinese sweat shops or manufactured under crap conditions, but I imagine most of these uninformed sellout c'plaints are being posted on apple products(ironic I know)... These guys and their supporting crew have done so much to ensure their fans have access to the best seats, posters, shirts, and MUSIC, is it too much to ask to give them the benefit of the doubt on this? If they are making money to play this show, who really cares? In the end they all have responsibilities to their families and the corporation that is ten club... Do you really think eddie should be living in his truck from the vs. days still? .... Btw, if they had the ten club ticket stuff on oracle products we wouldn't have had ticket problems!!!!! :):) Keep on Rocking in the free world, unless it's the oracle conference I guess...
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Just curious...will anyone not enjoy PJ music/concerts as much as they used to because the boys are playing the Oracle show?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I'm no Econ major, and I am not totally coming to the band's defense, but without question, the cost of touring has gone up a huge amount in the past 18-20 years, based on gasoline alone. All those trucks and planes to move people and equipment is not cheap. When taking into consideration that according to the US Dept of Energy, the average price of gas in 1994 was $1.077, adjusted for inflation using the calculator provided, that is roughly $1.66, which is no where near what we are paying at the pump. My point is, there is a lot more that goes into it, and just simply adjusting the price of a ticket in 1994 for inflation, isn't really fair when you don't consider other factors.

I don't at all disagree, and in fact I really don't fault the band for playing this gig. Costs have indeed exploded. I just don't think they have exploded to the point where $20 bought you then what $80 buys you now. That seemed a bit much. :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    KG1450 wrote:
    Ha, I feel bad for PJ and crew, nothing they do is ever good enough for their self entitled fans!! I have been in the fan club since the early days, enjoyed 57 amazing shows,always in great seats at a great price! I am now an adult instead of a 20 yr fan, and appreciate any chance I get to see them live. As an IT professional who works with Oracle daily, I have wanted to attend OpenWorld since 1997, so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out? While Larry Ellison is over the top at times, his company has built what Many consider to be the best product in their space, so however successful oracle or Larry is, it is not my place to complain. To my knowledge, oracle products are not made in Chinese sweat shops or manufactured under crap conditions, but I imagine most of these uninformed sellout c'plaints are being posted on apple products(ironic I know)... These guys and their supporting crew have done so much to ensure their fans have access to the best seats, posters, shirts, and MUSIC, is it too much to ask to give them the benefit of the doubt on this? If they are making money to play this show, who really cares? In the end they all have responsibilities to their families and the corporation that is ten club... Do you really think eddie should be living in his truck from the vs. days still? .... Btw, if they had the ten club ticket stuff on oracle products we wouldn't have had ticket problems!!!!! :):) Keep on Rocking in the free world, unless it's the oracle conference I guess...
    I'm an Oracle DBA... since the Oralce 6 days. Started off as a mainframe DMRS administrator and a Digital VAX Manager. Went to Informix-SQL on Clipper (CLIX) UNIX in the late 80s and shifted to Oracle Object Oriented databases went Pearl Jam we just getting started.
    I agree... Corporations are not all evil... they aren't all good either, but what is? But, i'll tell you this.. i would much rather fly across country in a jet liner made by a giant corporation than one made by Ma and Pa in their barn.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    ComeToTX wrote:

What I dont understand.
    All of a sudeen, because of this 1 SHOW, people are all bent out of shape over Pearl Jam and their actions? This is a band that hasnt played a total of 30-35 shows in the USA since 2006. This is a band that has attempted to sell merchandise, that would give the KISS ARMY a run for its money.... including baby clothing, shoes, jackets, hoodies, REAL UGLY baseball caps, lighters, playing cards. etc etc...This is a band, where the ONLY time anyone who works in management speaks, is when they come on HERE, selling a poster, a shirt, a jacket, etc.

And NOW you say "they are kicking up their feet?"

My question is...
    Where have you people been the last 6-7 years?
    Have you NOT seen what I have seen the last 6-7 years?

great post but you forgot iPad cases :roll:
    And actually...
    Its all good...

I have NEVER put Vedder and the band on some PEDESTAL, like a lot of the fans here have. They are a band, a rock n roll band. They were once the BEST LIVE band on the planet. Personally I can do without Vedder telling me to vote for Ralph Nader. I can do without having to go to a show in Philly, and have Vedder parade out a bunch of convicted felons. I can do without someone telling me which gas station I should fill up my car at.

But thats Vedder, and all the power to him. Because OBVIOUSLY there are people here, who follow his every word. He is passionate, he has his views, and he is surely not afraid to voice his opinion.

For me? I dont need any posters, or shirts, or playing cards. I dont need anyone to tell me who to vote for. I just want to be able to see a couple of live shows every few years.

Exactly my friend. They're a band, one of many that make some awesome music. Most of us don't need to follow them around the world like puppy dogs trying to find "Mother's Milk"

We just want a few shows and to hang out with our buds, that's it.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,087
    KG1450 wrote:

This guy nailed it.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    got to page 22 and had to stop. i cant believe i read that much crap- too much wasted energy here...

I cant wait to see these guys again as they are the best band/show around!

You cant please everyone!

Have a great day everyone! :wave:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options

Exactly my friend. They're a band, one of many that make some awesome music. Most of us don't need to follow them around the world like puppy dogs trying to find "Mother's Milk"

We just want a few shows and to hang out with our buds, that's it.
    Well, well, well.....

Look what the cat dragged in.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    dougfloyd wrote:
    norm wrote:
    been a while since we've had a circle jerk on the porch...now, who will come first...the fans that are upset at the band, the fans that are upset at the upset fans or the fans that are upset at the fans who are upset with the fans that are upset at the band?

:crazy:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was just going to post a thought similar to this. It's now total mayhem with fans bitching at other fans about their level of knowledge about how corporate IT conferences work... :yawn:

:corn:
    I know nothing about IT conferences. I know a lot about other conferences. Are IT conferences different?
    It's not like I'm trying to make attendees feel guilty about not working hard :lol: If I was in IT, I'd be hoping I could go, and have the excuse that it's for work.
    I'm just saying....it's not all about business at these things, in my experience with other industries.
    Which takes me back to the point I made that started that discussion:
    PJ is playing an exclusive corporate party, for well-off people who likely won't pay a dime to be there...that's really all I was getting at. Kinda like a free show in Central Park, only ....not. I'm pretty sure you're not forkin over $2500, are ya?

Sure, some portion of the people there will use this as kind of a paid vacation to get out of the office for a few days but this conference is a pretty big deal for most people who deal with Oracle for their jobs. Having been a couple times as an attendee, you can get a lot more out of this experience than you would just taking an Oracle training class in your home city. You can attend Q&A sessions with senior people who were actually involved in writing some of the Oracle software products, talk to representatives from other companies that have tools that might be able to help you in your job, network with other people and user groups that are probably troubleshooting the same issues that you deal with every day. It can be a very productive trip if you choose to put in the effort to gain something from it, it's not just a vacation. The "free" concert is not on people's minds when they send employees to this conference, the majority of people have already been registered for a couple months now anyway. I would dispute that they are playing for a bunch of "well off"people, the majority will be middle class folks just like the rest of us.

I'm in a little bit of a different situation, so yes, actually the $2,500 is coming out of my pocket, a lot more than that actually. I'm part owner of our small business so what we spend on stuff like this means less money at the end of the year for any kind of bonus. We've signed up to host a booth at the conference to meet potential new clients and grow our business. Between the booth and the travel and buying promotional giveaway stuff, we're probably in for close to $20k and I definitely wouldn't spend that kind of cash if seeing Pearl Jam was the only benefit I'm getting out of this conference.

Having said all that, I still understand why people are frustrated that they are playing these types of events yet not doing any regular touring in the US so everybody can see them. I just think it's a misperception that this is some private concert for a bunch of rich people, that is all.

Now carry on with the bitching... :corn:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    Super Bowl halftime show can't be far away.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    This is disheartening news to say the least, and I'm a fan who leans to the right side if the politcal spectrum.

I could care less what company it is, it's still a corporate show...justify it however you like to suite your opinion but it doesn't change the fact.

I've always gone to shows expecting some sort of anti-big corporation rant, but was ok with it... all that passion is what makes their music amazing, now it's lipservice. I've never been a big fan of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

That being said PJ is still my favorite band, I love their music even if it has lost some of it's soul.

They ALMOST made it...they were thisclose to being true to their own words and their own actions...oh well. I still love them, still will follow them across the country, but I hope they are a little more careful about their hate of big companies because they are one themselves...can't have it both ways.

There is a silver lining to this, show them the dough and they will give you a show. Who's willing to start a collection for a 10C only show...money is money, our money is just as good as Oracles isn't it?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    ComeToTX wrote:

I'd have no problem with the Super Bowl.

After some reflection and reading some good posts on here, I've changed my mind. I'm not happy about the Oracle event and wish they'd play for fans instead, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. At the end of the day though I think PJ is a business first right now, and I just hope that the integrity of the music is still important to the band.

I do hope we never hear about Bill Gates at a concert ever again though.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    ComeToTX wrote:

After some reflection and reading some good posts on here, I've changed my mind. I'm not happy about the Oracle event and wish they'd play for fans instead, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. At the end of the day though I think PJ is a business first right now, and I just hope that the integrity of the music is still important to the band.

Not a bad thing at all. I never thought they'd do it but now I'm guessing they would for the right check. At least it would sell records.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

I've always thought if a deaf alien showed up on earth, and looked at a Nickleback concert where there were 20,000 fans, and then looked at a Fugazi concert where there were 1,000 fans, then looked at the album charts for Nickleback and Fugazi, that I would have a hard time convincing the alien that Fugazi was the better band.
    "
    i really wanna know..how the hell your mind went there.. :mrgreen:

This Oracle event is playing tricks on my brain!

No, I don't like when people dump on Nickleback..etc. for being crap music. I may not like Nickleback, but there are a ton of people that love them, so I think I've just always thought it is difficult to claim that their music sucks when they are selling more records than any band out there. People may not like the music, but I just believe it is a difficult argument to say the best selling rock artist has crap music. To me it smells like sour grapes or jealousy.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

Okay Ten Club moderators, I've almost apologized. Now please, get me the lottery for my next show. 60 shows and I've never even been within a grasp of a guitar pick! I'm not a cute girl or a child so I know the tamborine will never come my way.

Note to self: Bring nephew to next show to get tamborine.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    KG1450 wrote:

This guy nailed it.
    Except I don't think that too many people wish they could attend this show. Possibly the first time and hopefully the last time that will ever be said in 10c!