Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    badbrains wrote:
    I hate to say it but speedy, we probably didn't want to believe that "our" band was becoming what they/us detested. A CORPORATE BAND. You're absolutely correct speedy, they have been transforming right infront of our eyes for the past 10 years. And to think Ed once said that NO ONE should have to pay more than $20 for a show. Now days it costs more than $20 just to fucken park at the venue. Tix cost $90 ea, t shirts, fuck, $40, posters $30, etc....reality is setting in, times have changed, people have changed, guess its time to stop being in denial and except it that pj is a corporate band. Albeit a fucking killer band at that!!!! And I know speedy, you don't give a rats ass about my post!!! Hahahaha :):):)
    A KILLER band that hasnt played a full USA tour in how many years?
    Since 2003?

But we keep sending them are $20-$40 a year....Dont we???

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,953
    edited August 2012
    Despite the recent cash grab from a more than willing fanbase for merchandise, lack of satisfying world and domestic tourdates, focus on nostalgia and side projects over new albums and flirting with the corporate cock you have to say this about Pearl Jam...

Thank fuck they aren't this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqHDhF-O28

Urgh, its making me want to chew my own face off thinking about it.
    Post edited by Spags on
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,905
    Another lame move by the band. But I have grown pretty indifferent to this sort of stuff because I expect it of them from now on.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    badbrains wrote:
    I'm sorry but if pj playing this event doesn't bother you then you must not have been around the 90's with them. You didn't go through the whole TM debacle. This band stood for something, now I'm wondering if instead of standing for something, they just pull the ottoman up to the couch and kick there feet up.
    Anybody remember the Ottawa speech Ed did regarding Halliburton??? You can get the bootleg.
    Looks like pj is and has always been part of the machine......well played mr vedder. You had us fooled.

What I dont understand.
    All of a sudeen, because of this 1 SHOW, people are all bent out of shape over Pearl Jam and their actions? This is a band that hasnt played a total of 30-35 shows in the USA since 2006. This is a band that has attempted to sell merchandise, that would give the KISS ARMY a run for its money.... including baby clothing, shoes, jackets, hoodies, REAL UGLY baseball caps, lighters, playing cards. etc etc...This is a band, where the ONLY time anyone who works in management speaks, is when they come on HERE, selling a poster, a shirt, a jacket, etc.

And NOW you say "they are kicking up their feet?"

My question is...
    Where have you people been the last 6-7 years?
    Have you NOT seen what I have seen the last 6-7 years?

great post but you forgot iPad cases :roll:
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Go back in time and speak to yourself 20 years ago, Same person? No? Thought so... NSTFU and move on...
  • Options
    Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited August 2012
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah you fit in well.

it is evident you didn't understand my post. let me be of some assistance.

it was a satirical take on how the people bitching in this thread and others about the band selling out are the same ones that buy everything the band puts out and bitches that they want more merch.

does that help, or do you wish to insult me some more?
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

What I dont understand.
    All of a sudeen, because of this 1 SHOW, people are all bent out of shape over Pearl Jam and their actions? This is a band that hasnt played a total of 30-35 shows in the USA since 2006. This is a band that has attempted to sell merchandise, that would give the KISS ARMY a run for its money.... including baby clothing, shoes, jackets, hoodies, REAL UGLY baseball caps, lighters, playing cards. etc etc...This is a band, where the ONLY time anyone who works in management speaks, is when they come on HERE, selling a poster, a shirt, a jacket, etc.

And NOW you say "they are kicking up their feet?"

My question is...
    Where have you people been the last 6-7 years?
    Have you NOT seen what I have seen the last 6-7 years?

great post but you forgot iPad cases :roll:
    And actually...
    Its all good...

I have NEVER put Vedder and the band on some PEDESTAL, like a lot of the fans here have. They are a band, a rock n roll band. They were once the BEST LIVE band on the planet. Personally I can do without Vedder telling me to vote for Ralph Nader. I can do without having to go to a show in Philly, and have Vedder parade out a bunch of convicted felons. I can do without someone telling me which gas station I should fill up my car at.

But thats Vedder, and all the power to him. Because OBVIOUSLY there are people here, who follow his every word. He is passionate, he has his views, and he is surely not afraid to voice his opinion.

For me? I dont need any posters, or shirts, or playing cards. I dont need anyone to tell me who to vote for. I just want to be able to see a couple of live shows every few years.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    I hate to say it but speedy, we probably didn't want to believe that "our" band was becoming what they/us detested. A CORPORATE BAND. You're absolutely correct speedy, they have been transforming right infront of our eyes for the past 10 years. And to think Ed once said that NO ONE should have to pay more than $20 for a show. Now days it costs more than $20 just to fucken park at the venue. Tix cost $90 ea, t shirts, fuck, $40, posters $30, etc....reality is setting in, times have changed, people have changed, guess its time to stop being in denial and except it that pj is a corporate band. Albeit a fucking killer band at that!!!! And I know speedy, you don't give a rats ass about my post!!! Hahahaha :):):)

do you know what inflation means? $20 for a show 15 YEARS AGO is the same as $80 for a show now. I have paid way more for bands that are inferior to Pearl Jam over the years. And none of those bands play for nearly 3 hours and play 30 songs.

NONE.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I don't know why people use the "people change" thing as a valid excuse for people to change what they built their foundation on. Ed was just ranting about corporate shit and Occupy Wall St. within the past couple months. This isn't like they just shut-up about this stuff. They are doing a concert supporting Jon Tester and Ed has openly supported Nader...who stands for everything but the corporations. They changed pretty damn quick then.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah you fit in well.

what the fuck is your problem? it was a joke. get a sense of humour. I was merely sarcastically pointing out that most of the people bitching about this stuff are also the ones that buy everything the band sells.

Your wit is so sophisticated.

Yeah, it's really weird that fans of a band would buy things the band sells. How this has anything to do with them playing the Oracle event? I guess that's your sense of humor rearing it's head.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    They are doing a concert supporting Jon Tester and Ed has openly supported Nader...who stands for everything but the corporations. They changed pretty damn quick then.

Change can...and will...happen almost overnight.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Its hard not to view this as anything other than a cash grab, which is fine. Maybe they do want to throw their crew a bone? A head scratcher, but not entirely surprising given some of the decisions they've made in the past 4 years.

Its funny how people are defending the position that a lot of IT people are fans. Well, yes, of course they are. But, why play a show to a relative handful of fans? A corporate pep rally? For Larry Ellison - one of the biggest dbags in the tech world? Answer: $$$$.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:

do you know what inflation means? $20 for a show 15 YEARS AGO is the same as $80 for a show now. I have paid way more for bands that are inferior to Pearl Jam over the years. And none of those bands play for nearly 3 hours and play 30 songs.

NONE.

I love how people think running a huge band machine like Pearl Jam is free... doesnt cost anything, everyone works for PJ for free, didnt you know? Every dollar made on every ticket goes right in their pockets. They dont pay anyone shit. They are all money grubbing aholes. I've met most of the members before and I know their down to earth nice guy personas are all acts. We all know these guys roll around in Ferrari's. Those stupid cars are expensive! The Oracle deal prolly has like 10 Lambos in it.

Becasue, we all know, Pearl Jam, is all about the chedda! :fp:
  • Options
    Its hard not to view this as anything other than a cash grab, which is fine. Maybe they do want to throw their crew a bone? A head scratcher, but not entirely surprising given some of the decisions they've made in the past 4 years.

Its funny how people are defending the position that a lot of IT people are fans. Well, yes, of course they are. But, why play a show to a relative handful of fans? A corporate pep rally? For Larry Ellison - one of the biggest dbags in the tech world? Answer: $$$$.

Yeah a cash grab to pay for.... wait for it, Business Expenses!

Maybe a tough concept for you to understand. Statement of Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, Expense Reports... etc, etc. Some accounting classes might do you some good.
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I guess the wrighting was on the wall when they started to ok things being sold over on ebay :lol::lol::lol:
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527

You're right. So people need to make money to off-set expenses? Why not play a show or a few shows for some fans? Why not do a few shows in the South? That's where the questionable action comes in...not that they need to make money to put on their shows.
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I guess the wrighting was on the wall when they started to ok things being sold over on ebay :lol::lol::lol:
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:?
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Spags wrote:
    Despite the recent cash grab from a more than willing fanbase for merchandise, lack of satisfying world and domestic tourdates, focus on nostalgia and side projects over new albums and flirting with the corporate cock you have to say this about Pearl Jam...

Thank fuck they aren't this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqHDhF-O28

Urgh, its making me want to chew my own face off thinking about it.

When the hell did Hephistian's Band become that big :shock: ...... :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    When the hell did Hephistian's Band become that big :shock: ...... :lol:

This is what happens to America (nay, the PLANET) when PJ stop putting out good records. :(
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah you fit in well.

what the fuck is your problem? it was a joke. get a sense of humour. I was merely sarcastically pointing out that most of the people bitching about this stuff are also the ones that buy everything the band sells.

Yeah, it's really weird that fans of a band would buy things the band sells. How this has anything to do with them playing the Oracle event? I guess that's your sense of humor rearing it's head.

I edited my post to better help you understand where I was coming from.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

thanks!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    SolarWorld wrote:

Maybe a tough concept for you to understand. Statement of Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, Expense Reports... etc, etc. Some accounting classes might do you some good.

Another way to pay for these expenses would be to play shows for fans. You know...the fans that have paid you and your business expenses for over 20 years. It's not like playing this show was the only option. They could have sold out 4 nights in Missoula instead or played 2 shows in their hometown.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    They're probably just desperate to see some new faces down the front.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Oh shit! What if they are coming with a new experimental techno album style (sorry I'm very old) and want to test run it on the nerds* first - doing a Radiohead! That would be amazing.

*I mean this in the nicest sense of the word.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Another way to pay for these expenses would be to play shows for fans. You know...the fans that have paid you and your business expenses for over 20 years. It's not like playing this show was the only option. They could have sold out 4 nights in Missoula instead or played 2 shows in their hometown.

*sigh, yeah because mobilizing the Pearl Jam machine for tours is so cheap, they can just make money where ever they go!

Do you people think about the stuff you post before hand? Some simple critical thinking can explain this move very simply.....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,657
    this thread is hilarious. some people have no idea what they're even commenting on regarding the oracle congress. drama queens galore in this thread.

who gives a shit if pearl jam plays at a conference? i wish they played at the conferences i went to. i never get my 2 grand's worth with a midweek gig from an international act.
    I think I'm a voice of reason, but... seems like a lot of people do indeed care if they play at a conference, and I don't think they're all too idiotic to know any better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Remember when Eddie got the guy to film that song with a COMPUTER at that show - that was the moment it all began man!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Their sound is gonna be so FUTURE fans will be trying to get IT jobs just to hear it.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    I love this whole ideals thing and that people think PJ have changed or sold out because they've made deals with Target and now this Oracle event.

The same band that releases nearly every show its played since 2000 on cd. Yeah, cos that's not a money-maker is it?!? :lol::lol::lol: They've sold over 3 million bootlegs since 2000. The point is they've always been making money and are extremely wealthy. Have you ever thought there is a certain sense of irony in a rich man singing Green Disease or Soon Forget? But on the other hand, whilst they make alot of money they give to charity as well. There's there Vitalogy Foundation that benefits from ticket sales and just go look at the Activism page on here.

We don't know why they are playing this gig and it doesn't really matter why they are. Not to me anyway. I don't care, they are free to do what they want. Any band is. I'd probably do the same thing if I was in a band. They certainly shouldn't be issuing a statement saying why they are playing :roll: :roll:
    Releasing their own CDs isn't the same at all. :roll: I don't think anyone here is disappointed because they make money. I think some are overreacting, as I've explained in previous posts here, but come on. It's not hard to understand why people are confused and annoyed by this. It's not because they are making money. It's because of what playing a private corporate conference represents vs the viewpoints that they have always and still do purport to hold and express. For me it's a mistake or bad judgment that I can forgive, but I guess some others feel more strongly about what it means to them. I wish some of you would stop acting like those people are morons. People feel different things for different reasons - at least respect their feelings, even if you aren't reacting the same way to the whole thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    badbrains wrote:
    I'm sorry but if pj playing this event doesn't bother you then you must not have been around the 90's with them. You didn't go through the whole TM debacle. This band stood for something, now I'm wondering if instead of standing for something, they just pull the ottoman up to the couch and kick there feet up.
    Anybody remember the Ottawa speech Ed did regarding Halliburton??? You can get the bootleg.
    Looks like pj is and has always been part of the machine......well played mr vedder. You had us fooled.
    :fp: :fp:
    I didn't know 10 Clubbers were such an unforgiving bunch!
    It's a poor choice on their part for sure, and if they're surprised that so many are mad about this choice, then they don't know their fans very well. But I don't know anyone, really, who hasn't disappointed others at one point or another. It happens, and PJ isn't immune to doing the same. Maybe they're doing it to bring some of their fans back to Earth, and remind them that the band isn't made up of a bunch of Jesus Christs? You never know. ;)

And the point about all the merch and everything is a good point... it's not like they're stepping THAT far outside of what they've been trending towards for a long long time now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on