Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    They may have, but most of us haven't bitched about corporations or railed against people with money for most of our career. Bill Gates has to be one of the top individuals ever in terms of money he's given away and Ed has railed against him.

I really don't care that they do this. This band was never Fugazi no matter how much they liked to paint themselves that way. But they have to expect some people to call them out with all the ranting Ed has done through the years.

that's all well and good, but you STILL don't know their motivation for doing this show, do you?

Nope and neither do you.

Doesn't change my point that they should expect to get called out on it if Ed is going to rant for 20 + years.

no, I don't. that was my point. you (nor anyone else) don't even know what you are calling them out on!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    All I wish was that I had the same chance at seeing them play a show in the US as politicians and corporations.

Kinda strange turn of events. But it's not like this is a U-turn, it's been a gradual shift that started with ticket prices that everyone defended.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    edited August 2012
    they have strong beliefs as individuals and those carry into the band. Overall I think "Pearl Jam" has to be somewhat more open minded and willing to share on more levels than they are probably willing to share as individuals. I think this oracle show is an example of that. Trying to expand their horizons, push themselves beyond their limits.

I can't go, but have been to conferences and yes was surprised to hear they are doing that "type" of show. But how closed minded to think "they don't belong at that type of venue"?

Maybe they're trying to revive what (some people feel) corporate america has lost, by making them (the corporate audience) feel again?

cheers!

amy
    Post edited by amethgr8 on
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    rrivers wrote:
    They may have, but most of us haven't bitched about corporations or railed against people with money for most of our career. Bill Gates has to be one of the top individuals ever in terms of money he's given away and Ed has railed against him.

I really don't care that they do this. This band was never Fugazi no matter how much they liked to paint themselves that way. But they have to expect some people to call them out with all the ranting Ed has done through the years.

that's all well and good, but you STILL don't know their motivation for doing this show, do you?

Nope and neither do you.

Doesn't change my point that they should expect to get called out on it if Ed is going to rant for 20 + years.

no, I don't. that was my point. you (nor anyone else) don't even know what you are calling them out on![/quote]

Ed has railed against people just for being rich, railed against other artists for choices they have made, railed against corporations, written songs against greed, corporations, etc. Stood in front of an American flag with the stars replaced by corporation symbols (http://movies.msn.com/celebrities/celeb ... eed4962975) So playing a business conference, um...yeah...they might expect to raise an eyebrow or two.

It doesn't excite me that they are doing this, but it doesn't make me mad. My2hands made the best point here: "that playing ANY business conference is totally fucking lame... pathetic actually...". Not because they are getting paid for it, or even their stances in the past, it's just flat out lame to play at a conference.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    my2hands wrote:
    no matter what you think about them playing for oracle... or think about them selling out... there is absolutely no doubt... no question at all...

that playing ANY business conference is totally fucking lame... pathetic actually...

i can just see Ed wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt standing on stage in front of a bunch of assholes wearing "Hello, my name is Bob" stickers on their shirts...

whats next, a residency at Caesars Palace with Celine?

have fun writing the setlist Ed :roll:

Well said.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    amethgr8 wrote:
    they have strong beliefs as individuals and those carry into the band. Overall I think "Pearl Jam" has to be somewhat more open minded and willing to share on more levels than they are probably willing to share as individuals. I think this oracle show is an example of that. Trying to expand their horizons, push themselves beyond their limits.

I can't go, but have been to conferences and yes was surprised to hear they are doing that "type" of show. But how closed minded to think "they don't belong at that type of venue"?

Maybe they're trying to revive what (some people feel) corporate america has lost, by making them feel again?

cheers!

amy
    Expand their horizons?
    Push themselves?
    Make themselves "feel again" ??????

Could be...

OR

They are out to make a quick buck!

Personally? I am going with the "quick buck" theory.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    as an oracle employee, i must say this backlash seems naive and misguided. i am not a master of war, i am not an evil corporate barbarian... i am just like you guys. i go to bonnaroo to see my favorite band, i bend over backwards to get to alpine to see pj20. i am a huge fan, and lots of my peers are too. this event will be rocking.

and it's a technology conference with a music festival around it. that's not so different from an arts and music festival, is it? or a political fundraiser a la missoula. what's the difference?

every year we have the biggest technology conference in the world in san francisco. we raise a ton of money for the city of SF, the city relies on this event. we have tried to move it, but the economics of it are so important to the city, that we stay there. and every year there is a concert night. i have seen the chili peppers, tom petty, prince, billy joel, beck, sting... the list goes on and on. and lots of companies do this. shit, bob dylan played for a google conference.

the price for the entire conference is $2400. it's all week long and is just like any other trade conference, other than it is the biggest tech conference in the world. the tickets to the concert are free for anyone that attends the conference - ~40,000 people per year attend. and it's not all stuffed suits. it's a lot of normal people like me and you. its customers, its partners, its employees of oracle. this is not some millionaires only event. would it be different if they played for a teacher's union?

im sorry, i just really don't understand all this backlash. i say good for them. it's a big audience, it'll be a good party, and i can't wait to rock out with my colleagues, friends, and PJ.
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • Options
    as an oracle employee, i must say this backlash seems naive and misguided. i am not a master of war, i am not an evil corporate barbarian... i am just like you guys. i go to bonnaroo to see my favorite band, i bend over backwards to get to alpine to see pj20. i am a huge fan, and lots of my peers are too. this event will be rocking.

and it's a technology conference with a music festival around it. that's not so different from an arts and music festival, is it? or a political fundraiser a la missoula. what's the difference?

every year we have the biggest technology conference in the world in san francisco. we raise a ton of money for the city of SF, the city relies on this event. we have tried to move it, but the economics of it are so important to the city, that we stay there. and every year there is a concert night. i have seen the chili peppers, tom petty, prince, billy joel, beck, sting... the list goes on and on. and lots of companies do this. shit, bob dylan played for a google conference.

the price for the entire conference is $2400. it's all week long and is just like any other trade conference, other than it is the biggest tech conference in the world. the tickets to the concert are free for anyone that attends the conference - ~40,000 people per year attend. and it's not all stuffed suits. it's a lot of normal people like me and you. its customers, its partners, its employees of oracle. this is not some millionaires only event. would it be different if they played for a teacher's union?

im sorry, i just really don't understand all this backlash. i say good for them. it's a big audience, it'll be a good party, and i can't wait to rock out with my colleagues, friends, and PJ.
    Right on...
    Have fun!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Nice- hope you have a great time- I would like my work to pay me to see PJ play
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558

My nerdy, 65 year old father in law has a chance to go to this. He never would have heard of this band if it wasn't for the posters on my wall. He listens to mostly Kenny Chesney and Dave Koz. He's nothing like me or anyone else I've seen at PJ shows. So yeah, it's fucking lame as shit.

And $2,400 is not like most conferences. I go to 3 or 4 big medical conferences each year and they are a third of that. If it about playing a conference then I'm sure SXSW would be happy to have them.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Enjoy! Fuck the naysayers on this, I really don't get the backlash but its too be expected around these parts nowadays. Trust me if PJ had done their usual US tours this year and then done this Oracle gig no-one would complain.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about, they've done corporate performances before.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    boyo79 wrote:

Enjoy! Fuck the naysayers on this, I really don't get the backlash but its too be expected around these parts nowadays. Trust me if PJ had done their usual US tours this year and then done this Oracle gig no-one would complain.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about, they've done corporate performances before.

You answered your own question. They haven't toured in years but they'll do this. Play a few for the fans then take the payday. I'm down here in Texas begging them to come take my money and play some shows.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    expanding horizons and pushing yourself to a different level isn't always what we expect it to be (obviously) but it still requires a certain amount of growth and offers perspective not otherwise gained.

nobody looses when we share.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:

You answered your own question. They haven't toured in years but they'll do this. Play a few for the fans then take the payday. I'm down here in Texas begging them to come take my money and play some shows.

I don't believe I asked a question. And for all any of us knows the money they get for this could be going to PJ chosen charity.

• Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I will take any PJ merch off anyones hands who are finished with this band. Just pass it on...do not burn it or sell it...just give it to those who will keep on keeping on.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:
    I will take any PJ merch off anyones hands who are finished with this band. Just pass it on...do not burn it or sell it...just give it to those who will keep on keeping on.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Good post!

• Options
    with the amount of money the band has, it's laughable to think they do anything for a paycheque.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    All I wish was that I had the same chance at seeing them play a show in the US as politicians and corporations.

they've played nearly 1000 shows, haven't they? how many corporate gigs have they played?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544

:clap: Hope to see you there!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:

Dude, in keeping with the bands philosophies of today, they are going to sell that shit. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

they've played nearly 1000 shows, haven't they? how many corporate gigs have they played?

Too many?

Anyhow, my main point was I don't really care, I just want a TOUR!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    moses562 wrote:

Just thought to capitalize on a moment. How many people are really offended? Time will pass, this will pass and everyone who said they were done will still be there...rocking on.

PM me if you are giving up the goods... :D
  • Options
    HalsteadHalstead Posts: 10
    I don't know anything about this company but is every corporation in the world terrible?

If I take a look around my own house, there's plenty of things that have I have benefited from...made possible by some corporation or another.

Obviously there's a lot corporations that have shit on this world but there's been quite a few that have helped make it better too...and that's not always the most interesting news story either.
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:

Dude, in keeping with the bands philosophies of today, they are going to sell that shit. ;)

Dang..you are right...Ebay will be lit up with lots of merch!
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Halstead wrote:
    I don't know anything about this company but is every corporation in the world terrible?

If I take a look around my own house, there's plenty of things that have I have benefited from...made possible by some corporation or another.

Obviously there's a lot corporations that have shit on this world but there's been quite a few that have helped make it better too...and that's not always the most interesting news story either.
    every corporation is terrible, especially those "underwear knomes"!
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    moses562 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    moses562 wrote:

Just thought to capitalize on a moment. How many people are really offended? Time will pass, this will pass and everyone who said they were done will still be there...rocking on.

PM me if you are giving up the goods... :D

I ain't giving up shit! This gig doesn't bother me in the slightest!! :lol::lol::lol:

Halstead wrote:

A very good point. I guess people are logging onto the forum using a corporations product.... :roll: :roll: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    eladder wrote:
    As far as satans bed nobody knows the events (or i dont) that led to eds previous relationship failing. Not fair to assume anything. And id also bet theres a lot more to his wife than just looks. Id say vedders not the shallow type.

As far as this oracle thing i just think its lame based on how i view and have viewed the band. I view them as above the sell out trappings and thats obviously changing. People on here are like its only about the music so i dont care what they do but isnt it the music that rails against corporate greed? The lyrics to green disease, soon forget, corduroy. How many rants have we heard against corporations? And specifically, ed always talks about his fear and refusal to accept technology. Oracle?

Didnt most of us love this band because of the way they did things their way and went below the radar to avoid crap like these events? I can definitely say that i wouldnt be as big a fan if pj did do things like this in the 90s. Like not doing shit like this was part of their mystique and greatness in my opinion. I dont hate on anyone trying to make more money but as stated on here, why not just play a few shows for real fans? We obviously pay. Unlike some on here, im not going to begrudge them from making cash but there are other ways involving the real fan base and i dont blame some for asking the question bud fox asked to gekko. Whens enough enough? I know the music industry has changed but its just tough for me to swallow (obviously). Im always telling my friends that pj is different from the rest and that IS a huge reason why i think they are so great. I feel like almost all celebs and entertainers are unabashedly about cash and it makes their message hollow. I need to accept that i have to adjust my expectations. Sorry for the rant. I just love watching snl 94 "not for you" and their obvious disdain for the norm. I get it that its been almost 20 years since that but this just seems extreme. I still love em and always will but the illusion is fading.

Perfect
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    you guys are right... business conferences are fucking badass!!! nothing says rock&roll like a good business conference discussing new software and such...

i heard the arkansas state fair has an opening for a headliner
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    Wow, this thread is ridiculous. I'm sure Pearl Jam really cares about 0.0001% of their fanbase spending hours on their forum complaining about how THEIR band makes money and where THEIR money should go. You guys need to get laid or find a hobby. Pearl Jam still rock and I plan on attending as many future shows as possible.
  • Options
    GS4566GS4566 Posts: 53
    vedpunk wrote:
    Wow, this thread is ridiculous. I'm sure Pearl Jam really cares about 0.0001% of their fanbase spending hours on their forum complaining about how THEIR band makes money and where THEIR money should go. You guys need to get laid or find a hobby. Pearl Jam still rock and I plan on attending as many future shows as possible.

I get laid on a regular basis and this is my hobby/love/passion.

As far as spending hours on the forum....this is my 37th post since July 1998.

When my favorite band plays a show PAID FOR by a corporation and not the fans. It is a huge shift in their ideals.