Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • Options
    I hope they sell a limited edition Pearl Jam Laptop with a stickman mouse at the show and one of you fuckers complaining about this is going to lose his life savings paying for it on ebay.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I hope they sell a limited edition Pearl Jam Laptop with a stickman mouse at the show and one of you fuckers complaining about this is going to lose his life savings paying for it on ebay.

Pure class.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:
    I had an epiphany today....

Has it occurred to anyone else that maybe they are doing this Oracle gig because Oracle is helping them to find the saboteur who crashed the web server during the ticket scandals?

Think about it....

EV and Jeff are paying back the group who is going to track the people responsible for this scandal.

Makes total sense now to me.

Kinda like how OJ was looking for the real killer...I get it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread is pretty entertaining.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    At this point in their careers I could care less about the whole sellout angle. If the band plays private corporate shows like this it's up to them I guess. Its not the first time they've done so and clearly they've changed their stance on such matters over the years.

I do find it a bit disheartening though, that they can find time in their schedule to play events like this, but can't schedule more than a couple festival appearances for the general public in their home country, for the fans who stood by them for years and actually put them in this position. I'm not pissed off, but the more they continue this new outlook on gigs, the less I care. It's their choice I suppose, as is mine to spend my money to see other acts who actually make the effort to get on the road and connect with their fans more than a handful of times, whenever the fuck they feel like it.

This right here. Only two shows in the middle of nowhere last year and not much this year. They can play a show for Oracle where the majority of people couldn't care less. But they can't do some arena shows this year for their real fans?????
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    jrnyc wrote:
    At this point in their careers I could care less about the whole sellout angle. If the band plays private corporate shows like this it's up to them I guess. Its not the first time they've done so and clearly they've changed their stance on such matters over the years.

I do find it a bit disheartening though, that they can find time in their schedule to play events like this, but can't schedule more than a couple festival appearances for the general public in their home country, for the fans who stood by them for years and actually put them in this position. I'm not pissed off, but the more they continue this new outlook on gigs, the less I care. It's their choice I suppose, as is mine to spend my money to see other acts who actually make the effort to get on the road and connect with their fans more than a handful of times, whenever the fuck they feel like it.

This right here. Only two shows in the middle of nowhere last year and not much this year. They can play a show for Oracle where the majority of people couldn't care less. But they can't do some arena shows this year for their real fans?????

Exactly. They have barely toured the US the past couple years yet they'll go play some corporate gig like this. Frustrating.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    They work for a living, just like most or all of us here.* Give them a break. :)

*Just for a lot more $$$, of course.
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    I only read a few pages of this thread -and I don't love the idea that they're playing a corp gig. But it's not unusual for these big software companies to have things like this.

I was at the salesforce.com conf last year and saw Metallica. this year they have RHCP. Neil Young & MC Hammer were special guests at the conference last year, though not performing. I assume the $2400 is for the whole conference, not just he show.
    I win.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    green_girl wrote:
    They work for a living, just like most or all of us here.* Give them a break. :)

The fans are willing to pay for a show just like Oracle is. It doesn't matter if it goes to charity or not. The fact is the Oracle offerred the band money to play, and PJ fans are more than willing to pay the band to play, and the band picked Oracle. The band could just as easily donate the proceeds of a fan paid concert to charity.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited August 2012
    green_girl wrote:

The fans are willing to pay for a show just like Oracle is. It doesn't matter if it goes to charity or not. The fact is the Oracle offerred the band money to play, and PJ fans are more than willing to pay the band to play, and the band picked Oracle. The band could just as easily donate the proceeds of a fan paid concert to charity.

Are they donating the money to charity?
    Coincidence: PJ Radio is playing a bootleg from 2005 and EV just said they're going to go over curfew and pay the $14K because you've "made us rich motherf$#@ers " and the fans deserve it. LOL.
    Post edited by green_girl on
  • Options
    green_girl wrote:
    green_girl wrote:

Are they donating the money to charity?

We don't know, but that is an argument people make that is totally irrelevant in my mind since the band could just as easily play a show for fans and donate the proceeds to charity.
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    I only read a few pages of this thread -and I don't love the idea that they're playing a corp gig. But it's not unusual for these big software companies to have things like this.

I was at the salesforce.com conf last year and saw Metallica. this year they have RHCP. Neil Young & MC Hammer were special guests at the conference last year, though not performing. I assume the $2400 is for the whole conference, not just he show.

It actually makes me feel better to hear that Neil young has done something like this. Also someone said Bob Dylan did a google event so I guess pretty much everyone does bullshit like this. Has Radiohead sold out yet?? Seems like one of the only bands I can think of who hasn't (that I am aware of anyways)
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    29 pages and most people still don't get it :roll:

I've gleaned over this thread and I'll clear up things for the mentally challenged.

1. Tickets to this show are not $2400
    2. IT professionals know who Pearl Jam are and listen to their music. Many fans I have met through the 10c work in IT.
    3. We don't know what PJ is getting or the details of the deal.
    4. Pearl Jam is more than 5 guys and a hairy Hawaiian ;)
    5. The sense of entitlement is mind boggling.

Other than that, how's everyone doing? :wave:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Pure class.

kinda like the rest of this thread. it's embarassing to read.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    All of this corporate gig controversy started as a direct result of Jeff Spicoli hiring Van Halen to play his birthday party in 1982!

And Sean Penn is supposed to be such a good friend of the band!

Hmmmph!

because he saved brooke shields from drowing :lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    LloydXmas wrote:
    surprised this thread isn't a sticky yet

not gonna happen because this event will not be addressed by the fan club
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I wonder what Ed's favourite kind of cocktail is?

Mine are Pina Colada's.

By the way, is this event casual dress, or do the band have to don tuxedo's?
  • Options
    The Dead Kennedy's - Pull My Strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0t99WmSCM

Pull My Strings is a song by the Dead Kennedys, written by lead singer Jello Biafra and drummer Ted specifically for the 1980 Bay Area Music Awards. The song would not find its way onto a record until 1987's 'Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death'.

The song, recorded live at the awards show, begins with the band playing the opening chords to "California Über Alles", one of their more famous songs. After the first few bars, Biafra yells out "Hold it!" and sarcastically tells the audience that they're becoming a New Wave band because they "need to prove [they're] adults now". Klaus Flouride begins to play another bass line, and a new song begins:

"Pull My Strings"

I'm tired of self respect
    I can't afford a car
    I wanna be a prefab superstar

I wanna be a tool
    Don't need no soul
    Wanna make big money
    Playing rock and roll

I'll make my music boring
    I'll play my music slow
    I ain't no artist, I'm a business man
    No ideas of my own

I won't offend
    Or rock the boat
    Just sex and drugs
    And rock and roll

Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool
    My Payola!
    Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool
    My Payola!

You'll pay ten bucks to see me
    On a fifteen foot high stage
    Fatass bouncers kick the shit
    Out of kids who try to dance

If my friends say
    I've lost my guts
    I'll laugh and say
    That's rock and roll

But there's just one problem

[Chorus]
    Is my cock big enough
    Is my brain small enough
    For you to make me a star
    Give me a toot, I'll sell you my soul
    Pull my strings and I'll go far

And when I'm rich
    And meet Bob Hope
    We'll shoot some golf
    And shoot some dope

Is my cock big enough?
    Is my brain small enough?
    [Repeat chorus, etc. etc.]
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Pure class.

kinda like the rest of this thread. it's embarassing to read.

I don't think this thread is embarrassing at all. There is a reason this thread is 30 pages long so far. It is a topic that many people want to discuss and it is a good debate of people from both sides of the issue.

Some of us complainers (myself included) need to be slapped down at times by the likes of you, but sometimes we have have valid points as well. For example, it seems like a lot of people on this board let economics rule their values. Corporations were evil in the 90's, but they aren't anymore. WHat changed? Economics. Fans had kids and families, the band had kids and families, expenses are higher, music business changed....I find it fascinating that what people didn't accept 10 years ago they freely accept now because it is affecting their pocket book now more than back then.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Noooooooooooooo! What, are they broke?? :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I find it fascinating that what people didn't accept 10 years ago they freely accept now because it is affecting their pocket book now more than back then.

Pearl Jam playing to a small group of corporate millionaires doesn't affect my pocketbook at all. Because I'm not a corporate millionaire, and I won't be attending.
    Though it does affect my attitude to the band, in that it forces me to ask some questions about where their heads are at.
  • Options
    djsmootdjsmoot Posts: 126
    29 pages and most people still don't get it :roll:

I've gleaned over this thread and I'll clear up things for the mentally challenged.

1. Tickets to this show are not $2400
    2. IT professionals know who Pearl Jam are and listen to their music. Many fans I have met through the 10c work in IT.
    3. We don't know what PJ is getting or the details of the deal.
    4. Pearl Jam is more than 5 guys and a hairy Hawaiian ;)
    5. The sense of entitlement is mind boggling.

Other than that, how's everyone doing? :wave:

Nice job, South of Seattle, you have summed this up very well.

Just think of how the music industry has changed. Bands do not make their money on album sales any more, they have to get out on the road and tour and play shows like this. PJ is more than 5 guys and a Hawaiian ... maybe they are trying to make some dough to help put some money into their employees' pockets. Is that wrong?

I was at this event last year when Petty and Sting played. It is a nice venue, Oracle puts on a great event, and people have a good time. I have already bonded with one of my customers who is going to go to OpenWorld about the night that he saw PJ in Minneapolis at First Avenue (iconic small venue) in '92 and we are going to make sure we find ourselves a good spot for the show. PJ has earned the right to play shows like this and to make some dough.

I think I will be going to OpenWorld again this year, and I cannot wait to see them. I will gladly volunteer to be the setlist relay for this show.
  • Options
    djsmootdjsmoot Posts: 126
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I find it fascinating that what people didn't accept 10 years ago they freely accept now because it is affecting their pocket book now more than back then.

Pearl Jam playing to a small group of corporate millionaires doesn't affect my pocketbook at all. Because I'm not a corporate millionaire, and I won't be attending.
    Though it does affect my attitude to the band, in that it forces me to ask some questions about where their heads are at.

You people need to get your facts straight. This is not a small show for corporate millionaires. This is a customer appreciation event. There will be 7-10k people at this show and a lot of the people that are going probably sat close to you at PJ20 and countless other shows.
  • Options
    I don't think this thread is embarrassing at all. There is a reason this thread is 30 pages long so far. It is a topic that many people want to discuss and it is a good debate of people from both sides of the issue.

Some of us complainers (myself included) need to be slapped down at times by the likes of you, but sometimes we have have valid points as well. For example, it seems like a lot of people on this board let economics rule their values. Corporations were evil in the 90's, but they aren't anymore. WHat changed? Economics. Fans had kids and families, the band had kids and families, expenses are higher, music business changed....I find it fascinating that what people didn't accept 10 years ago they freely accept now because it is affecting their pocket book now more than back then.

I find it embarassing not because of what you just said, because it is partly true. People grow up and realize things aren't all black and white, like hippies=good and big money=bad. people grow up and realize that the world doesn't operate on the ideals of the young and angry.

what I'm embarassed about is the people who somehow in their heads believe Pearl Jam owe them some sort of explanation for this, or even going so far as to say "give us a statement". Seriously? that is just so ridiculous it's not even really funny.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    djsmoot wrote:
    You people need to get your facts straight. This is not a small show for corporate millionaires. This is a customer appreciation event. There will be 7-10k people at this show and a lot of the people that are going probably sat close to you at PJ20 and countless other shows.

thank you. I work in accounting, and I see expenses of everyone in the corporation. we rarely send executives (who, at my work, are FAR from millionaires) to these events. the people who go are the users of the technology. middle class folks like you and I. and THEY aren't paying the price of admission, their employers do. the entertainment is a very small portion of the conference.

so they are playing a show in front of IT people who are just like us. Who are us. and the problem is....?

if this was in the middle of a full US tour, would anyone have a problem with this?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I don't think this thread is embarrassing at all. There is a reason this thread is 30 pages long so far.

don't equate a good topic with how long it goes. that's like saying Britney Spears must make awesome music because of how many cd's she sold. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

I find it embarassing not because of what you just said, because it is partly true. People grow up and realize things aren't all black and white, like hippies=good and big money=bad. people grow up and realize that the world doesn't operate on the ideals of the young and angry.

what I'm embarassed about is the people who somehow in their heads believe Pearl Jam owe them some sort of explanation for this, or even going so far as to say "give us a statement". Seriously? that is just so ridiculous it's not even really funny.
    I agree with that. Not thrilled that they're playing that kind of gig because it does seem to go against their CURRENT beliefs in many ways, but to expect something from them about it? That's crazy. My feelings about the band won't change... just kind of surprised because no matter how much they've changed, most of what they say and do seems to contradict this kind of gig. That's all. But even though I think it's a strange move for them, they are still the same group of people they were last week.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    djsmoot wrote:

thank you. I work in accounting, and I see expenses of everyone in the corporation. we rarely send executives (who, at my work, are FAR from millionaires) to these events. the people who go are the users of the technology. middle class folks like you and I. and THEY aren't paying the price of admission, their employers do. the entertainment is a very small portion of the conference.

so they are playing a show in front of IT people who are just like us. Who are us. and the problem is....?

if this was in the middle of a full US tour, would anyone have a problem with this?
    I think for a lot of people it's just about who and what it represents. People are overreacting though (not like the band didn't know how many fans would react btw). I feel disappointed by their choice for sure and wish they hadn't chosen to do this, but fuck, let's not go off the deep end. My own mother has disappointed me once or twice in my life, but I don't care about her any less, so I don't see why I should care less for PJ because of a corporate gig I wish they weren't playing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    checked this part of the site out lately? still think they've sold out their ideals and morals?

http://pearljam.com/activism/news
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

I guess my comment wasn't necessarily geared toward accepting PJ's activities, but just the passive response from people that make it seem normal to change your views drastically over time (which can happen but I would think wouldn't on the important things). Ethics and morals shouldn't change based on your economic position.