Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Man, Pearl Jam fans are such lame asses these days.
    what was your first clue, the whiny in this thread or the cat thread or the hey girl thread??

:fp: :nono:
    The hey girl thread is a joke and the PJ with Cats thread is funny...just because those threads don't appeal to your sense of humour, does not make a fan a "lame ass" for participating in those threads.

Well the band's motivation for playing for Oracle must be about money...hopefully a portion of the proceeds will go to charity.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    I hope PJ keeps pissing off more fans, just means I'll move up in my fan club number. Millionaires (PJ) playing for other millionaires is fine by me. Just keep making music and playing shows because that's all I care about. I am a fan of their music. Not my job to judge their decisions or beliefs.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    an an oracle employee, all i can say is FUCK YES!!!!

i can't make missoula because of this conference. this totally makes my day!

That's awesome!! Good for you.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • eladdereladder Posts: 414
    edited August 2012
    pdalowsky wrote:
    This thread is almost an echo of the countless threads about ticket prices over the years. We get this same old old argument about what pearl jam were like 20 years ago?

Did no one else here not grow up and evolve?  Allow their beliefs to change along the way when the world and it's continuing education opened your eyes? A lot can happen and a lot has happened in the last 20 years. Eddie doesn't climb the stage anymore or throw himself off lighting rigs. 

Yeah they took a stand 17 years ago, let's reflect on the thanks they got for doing so and not to mention the overwhelming support they were given by their peers. They were all alone without a single thanks. 17 years ago they could move countless millions of records without trying too hard. It was automatic so it's easy to see how they could afford to do those things. Now people steal their product, and now come here all pissed off that the band is going out and making money.

It's easy to say they were anti corporate all those years ago - playing not for you with anger yet using Sonys might to change their finances for ever (and I have no problem with that). No they took the major label and made them and themselves a shit load of cash. Was it right? Sure because they took the money and did what they wanted with it - countless charities have benefited. It's probably the same story this time. They could have stayed underground couldn't they? 

This isn't a show for the average fan - It'll more than likely be an hour or so. It's extracurricular and it's none of our business. And the best bit no one has a clue why they are doing it!!! Who knows - and you know what they certainly don't need to come here and explain it to people who act like they do here. 

Perhaps they arnt perfect - are you? 

You make some good points but ed throwing himself off lighting rigs and all the old school stuff would be a relevant argument if they didnt basically still communicate the same ideals now as they did then. They still send the same message out at their shows and in their music but now their actions are different. That equals hypocrisy. Evolution has nothing to do w it really. Nobodys telling them to battle tmaster, etc. the landscape has changed and fans have adjusted but to what level should we be expected to adjust and keep believing if what we see is in stark contrast to the bands message? Im far from perfect but i always enjoyed that my perception of pj was that they were pretty damn close. That perception keeps going in the wrong direction. I get that its not the end of the world and this wont dissuade me from changing course on my pursuit of attending shows and enjoying their music. It will be in my mind at times and i just think that blows. I thoroughly enjoyed the dream of them being different and it actually does effect how i perceive the world and they helped convince me that you can be successful and happy doing things YOUR way. Is this now their way? Dont worry. No therapy needed until they play the super bowl.
    Post edited by eladder on
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
    dlymnfld wrote:
    I hope PJ keeps pissing off more fans, just means I'll move up in my fan club number. Millionaires (PJ) playing for other millionaires is fine by me. Just keep making music and playing shows because that's all I care about. I am a fan of their music. Not my job to judge their decisions or beliefs.

Not trying to argue but doesnt their music contain beliefs? And then to do something different doesnt seem hollow to you? Its a damn lyric in a song (not for you). do you just listen for mikes guitar playing? Im not being a wise guy. Maybe some fans just like to rock out. I happen to love their lyrics and message.
    DS1119 wrote:
    But we didn't tell our bosses to fuck-off for 10 years before being offered a raise and yell at others who were accepting the raises. Also, the fans who have stood behind PJ for 20 years are more than ready to give Pearl Jam money to play a show, but PJ plays the corporate gig instead. A big slap in the face if you ask me. This show would not be an issue if PJ toured half the amount of a normal band, but they don't so everything like this becomes an issue.

I wonder who is more charitable, Bill Gates or the owner of Oracle? Bill Gates by billions and billions and billions. Who does Ed talk bad about on stage (bill gates), and who does he play corporate gigs for (Oracle)?

Anyway, there are bigger worries in the world.

Speak with your wallet then. Next PJ show that comes that you want to attend...don't go. That will show them! :lol:

I like the shows too much! You do know PJ has a monopoly, right? :)

Realistically, do you think fans that post on this board are going to stop going to PJ shows because of this? No. Do we think the members of PJ are bad people? No. But I think it is undeniable that a large amount of fans that stuck around after 1996 was in large part due to the integrity of the band. We stayed attached to the band because we respected them, and they made great music. We'd tell our friends that this band is different. They care about the fans and music, and making money last.

Nothing has changed about what big corporations do from 1991 until 2012 (if they aren't worse). That is why people are calling the band hypocrites.

This totally is spot on
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think it is a perfect example of how people change and grow over the decades of their lives...
    Some people think views stay the same from 26 to 56 but
    more often that is not the case.

I'm looking forward to 56 to 76 if I am so blessed....
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    dlymnfld wrote:
    I hope PJ keeps pissing off more fans, just means I'll move up in my fan club number.

+1
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    dlymnfld wrote:

Yeah!! Even if the rich dictators & presidents of the world who call up PJ to play secret gigs, it's all fine by us. There is no image to protect in today's society. The "bling bling" is all that matters ...
  • skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    I think Pearl Jam have their reasons for doing this show.

I think Pearl Jam also exepcts the fans to be at an intellectual level to discuss and debate the merits of all of their actions.

Good discussion all around.
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • 3days wrote:
    I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I remember people being upset when Backspacer was being released (partially) by Target, and again a few months ago when the Budweiser festival was announced. There have been plenty of instances where people questioned whether the band "sold out". Personally, I think it's a bit misguided to assume or imply that the band "sold out" without knowing all the facts.

There's an ad that pairs PJ with a well known and very corporate parcel delivery company. Does that mean that Stone and co are simply well paid whores for UPS? Of course not... My understanding is that UPS agreed to work with PJ on carbon offsetting (something that the band has maintained an interest in for many years).

In 2007, PJ played Lollapalooza which was sponsered by AT&T. Does that mean that PJ are in bed with AT&T? Of course not... The band was publicly critical of AT&T editing part of their show from the Lollapalooza webcast. The band also took the opportunity to criticize another corporation that weekend.

PJ has opened for the Stones on different occasions, and the Stones always have a major corporate sponsor. Does that mean that the guys are trying to weasel their way into new business opportunities. Of course not... PJ are fans and friends of the Stones, EV has worked with Ron Wood, and the two bands seemed to like the idea of pairing up.

I don't know much about their decision to play the Oracle event, but truthfully, you don't either. Maybe a friend asked them to do it. Maybe Oracle is willing to put money into a charity that Pearl Jam works with. Maybe Oracle agreed to design a server that would eliminate the next F5 "crisis". Maybe PJ felt a sudden urgency to play the Bay area asap. Maybe it's just ridiculously difficult to put on a show for thousands of fans without bumping into a major corporation somewhere along the way (wasn't that the case back in 1995?).

I can't see the logic in discounting a very active, conscientious, and charitable band for one decision they've made, especially without knowing why they made it.

I pretty much agree with this. Very well put.
    Phoney Beatle mania has bitten the dust...
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    I think I can sum up my feelings and a few others in a few points:

- I know that it disappoints me that they don't tour much anymore (not since 2006) and that it doesn't seem as though Pearl Jam is as big a priority in their lives as it is in ours.

- Since we found out about this on an Oracle website and haven't heard anything from PJ it seems as though they're just trying to sneak in the backdoor and get a paycheck. Hopefully we get some kind of statement from someone associated with the band so this whole thing can get put into context.

- For the most part I think this is just pent up frustration from myself and others over the lack of an album for about 4 years and not really any touring for a long time. I enjoy some of the side projects and the Ed solo stuff but I really just want some PJ whether it's a summer tour or some new music. I don't think any of us expect them to tour 9 months out of the year but to go out on the road for 3 months or so over the summer and cover the country would be great to see.
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    3days wrote:
    I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I remember people being upset when Backspacer was being released (partially) by Target, and again a few months ago when the Budweiser festival was announced. There have been plenty of instances where people questioned whether the band "sold out". Personally, I think it's a bit misguided to assume or imply that the band "sold out" without knowing all the facts.

There's an ad that pairs PJ with a well known and very corporate parcel delivery company. Does that mean that Stone and co are simply well paid whores for UPS? Of course not... My understanding is that UPS agreed to work with PJ on carbon offsetting (something that the band has maintained an interest in for many years).

In 2007, PJ played Lollapalooza which was sponsered by AT&T. Does that mean that PJ are in bed with AT&T? Of course not... The band was publicly critical of AT&T editing part of their show from the Lollapalooza webcast. The band also took the opportunity to criticize another corporation that weekend.

PJ has opened for the Stones on different occasions, and the Stones always have a major corporate sponsor. Does that mean that the guys are trying to weasel their way into new business opportunities. Of course not... PJ are fans and friends of the Stones, EV has worked with Ron Wood, and the two bands seemed to like the idea of pairing up.

I don't know much about their decision to play the Oracle event, but truthfully, you don't either. Maybe a friend asked them to do it. Maybe Oracle is willing to put money into a charity that Pearl Jam works with. Maybe Oracle agreed to design a server that would eliminate the next F5 "crisis". Maybe PJ felt a sudden urgency to play the Bay area asap. Maybe it's just ridiculously difficult to put on a show for thousands of fans without bumping into a major corporation somewhere along the way (wasn't that the case back in 1995?).

I can't see the logic in discounting a very active, conscientious, and charitable band for one decision they've made, especially without knowing why they made it.

I pretty much agree with this. Very well put.

I agree with 3days completely. I knew there would be a fuss about this on here as soons as I heard about it but I don't get why. What's the difference between playing this event and doing a benefit gig for a politician? I simply don't care what events they do as long as they continue to make good music and tour my way every few years
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    this can't be happening as Oct 3 isn't showing up on the PJ Tour page LOL...
    http://pearljam.com/tour

Here's some more tidbits and info:
    http://www.oracle.com/openworld/appreci ... 71395.html

Now who is our set list relayer and who is running the thread on the evening of 10/3?

While PJ is there, do you think Oracle can offer them some Techie tidbits and help on how to fix the forums? Please?!?!
  • NDJeff7 wrote:
    - Since we found out about this on an Oracle website and haven't heard anything from PJ it seems as though they're just trying to sneak in the backdoor and get a paycheck. Hopefully we get some kind of statement from someone associated with the band so this whole thing can get put into context.

we are NOT the band's board of directors or investors. they don't owe us any explanation.

this band/fanclub isn't even the first to announce its own tours to us. why the hell would anyone expect a statement regarding this to the .01% of their fanbase that trolls the message boards?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    Disappointing for sure. So the guy who I heard give this awesome rant at Alpine in 2003

"Power to the people man.... The real people, the people that work, not the people that sit in their towers, and try to run the whole thing, thinking that we're too stupid to notice what they're doing! They get us in our little holes, and our boxes, and our cages and they show us American Idol and American Gladiators and American .... blowjob, buttfuck, whatever. And everyone watches with baited breath. Oh, who's going to get a blowjob tonight? What American's going to get a blowjob tonight? When in reality, you could be getting one yourself instead of watching the fucking TV, I don't know. I digress."

is playing a gig for almost $2400 for a company with one of the richest CEO's in the country. They certainly are entitled to do what they want, but I just don't get it. They have certainly changed. I just wonder first off, why, and second, when they decided to make this drastic change. I guess they were gradually changing but this is a real shocker to me.

I will continue to listen to them as long as they continue to make good music, but I certainly liked them more when they stood behind there F YOU to the corporate america/republican mindset.

I was at that gig and remember that talk word for word. One of my top 10 gigs for sure. And I agree with the rest of your post as well.

I absolutely loved that quote, one of my fav PJ concert moments because I agree spot on with what he said. Again they are entitled to do what they want. It just seems very opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    DS1119 wrote:
    teeman wrote:
    Obviously a big difference between corporate sponsorship of a tour and being the house band for Oracle's conference.

The Sky I Scrape has a great post that sums up how I feel.

As for dissenting opinions, I'm suprised people can look past obvious selling out and hypocritical behavior. To each their own.

Selling out. I think Lars from Metallica, it was, had a great answer about selling out. When asked he said something like "yeah, Metallca sells out every single fucking night".

Just remember if your boss comes into work tomorrow and offers you a raise...don't sell out man...turn that shit down! Stay the course! :lol:

No such luck, didn't get a big raise this morning. Also didn't get asked to do something against what I publicly preached to a loyal fan base for 20 years. That's the thing: I'll take a raise, provided it doesn't go against my beliefs.

An example: I work in marketing and advertising, and I'm pretty good at what I do. I also believe in equal rights. If someone came to me tomorrow and said I could become a millionaire by creating an ad campaign that was anti-gay marriage, I would turn down the job. Period. I don't care if they were giving a ton of money to my favorite charity or that it would only take a week and then I could go back to doing and saying whatever I want. I simply don't care, and I wouldn't do it. I'd let the marketing/advertising equivalent of Nickleback take the job.

I would find another way to "feed my family".

The band can do whatever they want and make any choices they want, but the next album better not be about standing up to the 1% (as someone else mentioned on here) or anything along those lines.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    evolution.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1295574671382
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    no matter what you think about them playing for oracle... or think about them selling out... there is absolutely no doubt... no question at all...

that playing ANY business conference is totally fucking lame... pathetic actually...

i can just see Ed wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt standing on stage in front of a bunch of assholes wearing "Hello, my name is Bob" stickers on their shirts...

whats next, a residency at Caesars Palace with Celine?

have fun writing the setlist Ed :roll:
  • The only way I will be OK with this, is if the money they get from playing this "show" is donated to some worth while cause or charity after the bands crew/management get paid properly. I don't see any problem with them playing this if they use the money for good. Taking money from the Man is fine as long as its going to a good cause. Its working from within the system because you cant change it from the outside.

I'm going to try and bump this thread everyday if it leaves the front page. We need to know.

The reason why this band mattered to me more than others was because of their ethics. Its the same reason why I hate bands that don't stand for anything.

Lyrics matter, the message matters.

I truly believe there is a better explanation.

We're faithful, we all believe.
  • The only way I will be OK with this, is if the money they get from playing this "show" is donated to some worth while cause or charity after the bands crew/management get paid properly. I don't see any problem with them playing this if they use the money for good. Taking money from the Man is fine as long as its going to a good cause. Its working from within the system because you cant change it from the outside.

I'm going to try and bump this thread everyday if it leaves the front page. We need to know.

The reason why this band mattered to me more than others was because of their ethics. Its the same reason why I hate bands that don't stand for anything.

So let me get this straight...

The management and crew are to be paid...

But the band plays for free?

Then it would be OK with you?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    The only way I will be OK with this, is if the money they get from playing this "show" is donated to some worth while cause or charity after the bands crew/management get paid properly. I don't see any problem with them playing this if they use the money for good. Taking money from the Man is fine as long as its going to a good cause. Its working from within the system because you cant change it from the outside.

You don't know that it won't be. none of us do. This really isn't a big deal and if it is, I wish it was all I had to worry about.
    Really not a big deal at all.
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,440
    I can see why "AET" was cancelled....

No, I dont believe any one should work for free. Yes the band should be paid, but the rest should go to charity or some other good cause.
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    The only way I will be OK with this, is if the money they get from playing this "show" is donated to some worth while cause or charity after the bands crew/management get paid properly. I don't see any problem with them playing this if they use the money for good. Taking money from the Man is fine as long as its going to a good cause. Its working from within the system because you cant change it from the outside.

No, I dont believe any one should work for free. Yes the band should be paid, but the rest should go to charity or some other good cause.

Says who? or you'll do what?

how do you know all the money isn't going to charity?
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Wowzers...talk about people getting worked up - my grandpa used to say, to keep things in their proper perspective ('there's a billion people in China who can give a rats ass) :lol:
    A LOT of you are going Albert Finney from 'Network' thru these 22 pages : I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore
    RELAX
    Does it suck they haven't toured the US proper in over 3 years? Yes and it bums me out.
    Change = our rig climbing, microphone cord swinging, high energy frontman now strumming ukeleles, throwing axes and preferring to surf and hang with his kiddies and wife.
    Change = songs like "Speed of Sound", "The End" and "Just Breathe" making up over 27% of their latest rock album...
    Change also = those diehard fans that have been with them since 1991, now employed in the tech industry, working for a company that thinks its cool to have an appreciation night with one of America's greatest living institutions of rock n roll...
    Why would they announce it here? You got $2400 laying around to go see the band, get a room in San Fran and learn from this conference?
    Relax - and remember what my grandpa used to say... :lol:
    The world is changing every day. So is our favorite band. And mostly for the better I might add.
    We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. - Frederick Koenig
    Enjoy that incredible experience for those of you fortunate enough to attend...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • eldarion75 wrote:

You don't know that it won't be. none of us do. This really isn't a big deal and if it is, I wish it was all I had to worry about.
    Really not a big deal at all.

Exactly, we dont know where the money is going and usually I would say its none of our business. But this is a different scenario. I think one of the problems people are having is that the band had a stance and now it seems with this case that stance has changed. Look, if this band was KISS no one would blink twice about them playing this thing right?
  • GS4566GS4566 Posts: 53
    my2hands wrote:
    no matter what you think about them playing for oracle... or think about them selling out... there is absolutely no doubt... no question at all...

that playing ANY business conference is totally fucking lame... pathetic actually...

i can just see Ed wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt standing on stage in front of a bunch of assholes wearing "Hello, my name is Bob" stickers on their shirts...

whats next, a residency at Caesars Palace with Celine?

have fun writing the setlist Ed :roll:

I agree 100%.

To sum up my posts about this:
    -They have always taken an anti-corporate stance
    -They just made a movie that covered their anti-corporate stance.
    -They can't play regular US arena shows in two years but can play a corporate convention
    -Corporate conventions are played by has-been bands. (I saw KC and the Sunshine Band at one and my friend saw Third Eye Blind).
    -They have written anti-corporate songs
    -They have a poster with John Ashcroft as the E in NEOCON and he sleeps with Oracle. :!:
    -They supported Ralph Nader. We know his stance. :evil:
    -And they are playing for Tester within days. (wtf?) Glad I skipped the money on that. Read below:

" There’s also ample opportunity lately around the Bozeman area, particularly in the tech industry, said Rob Irizarry, founder of StartUpBozeman.com and former director of product management at RightNow Technologies. He left the company after it was bought by Oracle and said that he isn’t the only one who has left to strike out alone." Source: http://www.tester.senate.gov/Newsroom/2 ... rkshop.cfm

As a fan since September 1992, I'm having a real hard time with this obvious cash grab.

And they fact that my favorite band released 5 great albums from 1990-1997 and only one album (opinion to myself on that) from 2006-2013. Admittedly, recorded in two weeks. (Did anyone listen to JA interview about the Tester show on Montana radio last month? The DJ did not know PJ was still 'around' and Jeff was a little embarrassed).

I would rather see them bow out and go out gracefully than become a band that plays corporate conventions.

They have put pressure on themselves to produce a great album and long US arena tour next year or they will loose the core fan base.

A band that I consider a 'peer' band to PJ is Radiohead. They are in their 40s and don't tour a lot. Yet, they have played my home state four times since PJ last played here.

They did such a great job in Europe, Amsterdam in particular, with the legacy FC member, etc. Now this.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    rrivers wrote:
    They may have, but most of us haven't bitched about corporations or railed against people with money for most of our career. Bill Gates has to be one of the top individuals ever in terms of money he's given away and Ed has railed against him.

I really don't care that they do this. This band was never Fugazi no matter how much they liked to paint themselves that way. But they have to expect some people to call them out with all the ranting Ed has done through the years.

that's all well and good, but you STILL don't know their motivation for doing this show, do you?

Nope and neither do you.

Doesn't change my point that they should expect to get called out on it if Ed is going to rant for 20 + years.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."