Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    arq wrote:
    For the record, I'm just glad this event isn't being held in the south...that would add insult to injury.

PBM

:lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    GS4566 wrote:
    -Corporate conventions are played by has-been bands. (I saw KC and the Sunshine Band at one and my friend saw Third Eye Blind).

This is not necessarily true. I'll admit that my view of this band has been slightly skewed because of how this thing appears on the surface, and while it would be nice to have some more insight as to why PJ is playing this particular event, the fact is more and more well known and currently successful bands are doing this - sometimes very openly, sometimes "under the radar". I work in the convention/trade show industry, and a few years ago, I was shocked when a large corporate meeting for a major pharmaceutical company had the Flaming Lips playing at their closing banquet.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    For the record, I'm just glad this event isn't being held in the south...that would add insult to injury.

PBM

:lol: Brilliant.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Google search "Oracle Layoffs" and get some interesting stuff.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands wrote:
    the mantra of "sponsored by no one" used to be so refreshing in this corporate dominated shithole of a society... but now even the best band in the world is sucking the corporate cock for easy paydays...

but what did we expect in a world that worships swooshes, golden arches, and designer sunglasses?

feel free to hate me for missing the good ol' days... but i do

lol what. The good old days? "Sponsered by No One.." was never a mantra of the band. It was a shot at Ticketmaster, and a slogan for a tour, as in "we can do a tour without being sponsored by you." I seem to remember that tour going horribly and being one of the biggest failures in the bands history.. So I am not sure if you are referring to those good old days? Revisionist history is awesome when youre using it to try and prove YOUR point. Not A point.

you're right...i forgot about all of those awesome business conferences they played in the 90's... my bad :roll:
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436

PBM

Rumor has it the band was approached to play Roscoe P. Coltrane's retirement party...Boss Hogg made them a huge offer, but they turned it down!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

PBM

Rumor has it the band was approached to play Roscoe P. Coltrane's retirement party...Boss Hogg made them a huge offer, but they turned it down!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3CFzahrRs
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    my2hands wrote:
    the mantra of "sponsored by no one" used to be so refreshing in this corporate dominated shithole of a society... but now even the best band in the world is sucking the corporate cock for easy paydays...

but what did we expect in a world that worships swooshes, golden arches, and designer sunglasses?

lol what. The good old days? "Sponsered by No One.." was never a mantra of the band. It was a shot at Ticketmaster, and a slogan for a tour, as in "we can do a tour without being sponsored by you." I seem to remember that tour going horribly and being one of the biggest failures in the bands history.. So I am not sure if you are referring to those good old days? Revisionist history is awesome when youre using it to try and prove YOUR point. Not A point.

you're right...i forgot about all of those awesome business conferences they played in the 90's... my bad :roll:

Those were the days...The 1994 State Farm Insurance Sales Awards Dinner, The 1996 Wal-mart Shareholders Blowout, and of course the epic 1992 split bill Pearl Jam/Nirvana Compuserve Developers Conference.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Anyone remember that LA (The Forum) rant from a few years back where Eddie praised the joint for not having all sorts of corporate signs hanging around the rim of the Arena....Then he somehow made the correlation to Dick Chaney's butt hole. Vintage anti-corp Pearl Jam right there....haha :D
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    I've seen some corporate gigs, and the bands usually seem miserable onstage....they barely address the crowd because of the awkwardness of the situation.

I saw Kinky perform at an advertising awards show....a few people standing right up against the stage had their backs to the band, and were talking to their friends, oblivious to the performance taking place.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

PBM

Boss Hogg instead used a Pearl Jam cover band lead by Coy & Vance and tried to pass it off as the real thing.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

PBM

Boss Hogg instead used a Pearl Jam cover band lead by Coy & Vance and tried to pass it off as the real thing.

PBM

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

PBM

PBM

Awesome! When we were kids my brother and I would call eac other coy and vance as insults.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Cosmo wrote:
    I just hope Green Disease is on the playlist...
    I'll tell you what would be fucking AWESOME.
    If Pearl Jam plays a non-stop 3 hour set of nothing but songs they rarely, if ever, play.
    That way, the folks at the Openworld will send out a flurry of Tweets like, "What the fuck is this!!!??? @pearljam" and "When are they going to play 'Jeremy' or 'I'm Still Alive' or that other song?" or "Worst re-union EVER!!!" Then, head back to the bar for more free booze. And DougFloyd is one of the only 127 people who stay.
    And... people in the Fan Club will read the set list, and their heads will explode. Hopefully, their membership numbers will be lower than 139,794 and I move up to the closer seats.

That would never happen from what I understand about these type of events are that the set lists need to be approved beforehand.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

PBM

PBM
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
    It's Evolution Baby
    General%20lee.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
    It's Evolution Baby
    General%20lee.jpg
    :lol:
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    If Pearl Jam plays a non-stop 3 hour set of nothing but songs they rarely, if ever, play.
    That way, the folks at the Openworld will send out a flurry of Tweets like, "What the fuck is this!!!??? @pearljam" and "When are they going to play 'Jeremy' or 'I'm Still Alive' or that other song?" or "Worst re-union EVER!!!" Then, head back to the bar for more free booze. And DougFloyd is one of the only 127 people who stay.
    And... people in the Fan Club will read the set list, and their heads will explode. Hopefully, their membership numbers will be lower than 139,794 and I move up to the closer seats.

That would never happen from what I understand about these type of events are that the set lists need to be approved beforehand.

reminds me of the scene from Spinal Tap where Fred Willard is briefing the band before they play at the airforce base!
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited August 2012
    my2hands wrote:
    my2hands wrote:

I dont think I ever said, that but nice try with the straw man argument. Works every time on the internet. You referenced something as a"mantra of the band" that was actually just the slogan of a tour. I simply pointed out that it was a nice slogan for you to use for what YOUR idea of the entire history of the band seemingly is. That is you cherry picking, one thing to further your argument. This isnt about what the band is doing. This is about your preconceived notion of something, and its nice that its seems like a relevant forum for you to use as a smoke screen.

Also, whats wrong with business conferences? Or this one in particular? Generally, technological world leaders are using these things to help their employees push things to new limits, network, gain new skills? Can you even tell me an example of one talk that will happen there? They have these things in my industry all the time. They are looked upon with reverence generally, and are usually global events, with tons of different companies being represented, the greatest and latest reveals happen at them, and the best and brightest in the industry are usually there. I have a box full of contacts from stuff like this. Someone there could get one of the people from this board thats going their next job.

I'm interested in what exactly you think will happen at this thing? Are they going to be sacrificing lambs and worshiping at the all mighty altar of Owl? Are they going to all leave chanting "Buy Nothing BUT Proctor & Gamble! Feed the Rich!" You're acting like this is the Bohemian Grove here.

Look I can cherry pick something too..
    http://www.oracle.com/openworld/green/index.html

"Tim Robbins: Let me tell you how all this works: you see, Team America is funded by the corporations, so they fight for the corporations... while they sit in their corporation buildings... and they're all corporation-y... and they make lots of money!" - Team America
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Cosmo wrote:

"Jeremy Spoken" is my favorite Pearl Jam song.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    All of this corporate gig controversy started as a direct result of Jeff Spicoli hiring Van Halen to play his birthday party in 1982!

And Sean Penn is supposed to be such a good friend of the band!

Hmmmph!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    All of this corporate gig controversy started as a direct result of Jeff Spicoli hiring Van Halen to play his birthday party in 1982!

Whats good for spicoli, is good for allll of us.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

"Jeremy Spoken" is my favorite Pearl Jam song.

Possible Simpsons commercial jingle "Laramie Smoking"
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Whats good for spicoli, is good for allll of us.

Isn't is really OUR band, Mr. Hand?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    crussocrusso Posts: 45
    Although I voiced my frustrations here too, I think the band doesn't deserve all this criticism. We should ´judge´ their music and their shows.

I just listened to `Not For You´ and I´m happy to say I can still enjoy it! All is well!
    Claudio
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    I had an epiphany today....

Has it occurred to anyone else that maybe they are doing this Oracle gig because Oracle is helping them to find the saboteur who crashed the web server during the ticket scandals?

Think about it....

EV and Jeff are paying back the group who is going to track the people responsible for this scandal.

Makes total sense now to me.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Tboz51 wrote:

Has it occurred to anyone else that maybe they are doing this Oracle gig because Oracle is helping them to find the saboteur who crashed the web server during the ticket scandals?

Think about it....

EV and Jeff are paying back the group who is going to track the people responsible for this scandal.

Kinda like how OJ was looking for the real killer...I get it
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:

Think about it....

And when they find them, they're gonna hurl shoes at them! :twisted:
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    surprised this thread isn't a sticky yet
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    surprised this thread isn't a sticky yet

Actually surprised there isn't a sticky...usually do them for concert announcements.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    There is just no denying that playing a conference is ultra-lame. I work in tourism and attend a lot of conferences. Any time a band plays any of these it is just so cheesy. It always drops my opinion of the band. Leave those shows to the Black Eyed Peas and Justin Beiber, even Elton John. But Pearl Jam....my heart breaks.