Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
edited September 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
If you've seen the movie please share your review with us...

Thank you :)

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Great roller coaster of darks and lights. Dallas represented well for the three shows available and the show rocked.
    Dallas, Texas (April 19, 1992), Dallas, Texas (September 06, 1992), Dallas, Texas (November 12, 1993), Austin, Texas (September 16, 1995), Dallas, Texas (July 05, 1998), The Woodlands, Texas (October 14, 2000), The Woodlands, Texas (October 15, 2000), Austin, Texas (October 04, 2009), Arras, France (July 03, 2010), East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011), Alpine Valley Music Theatre (September 04, 2011), Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013), Oklahoma City, OK (November 16, 2013), Austin, TX (October 12, 2014), New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 23, 2016), Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016), Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    cameron crowe really likes the first album. pearl jam twenty covers about 6 of the actual 20 years.

cool flick, but my favorite PJ is 95-05, and all that was barely, if at all, mentioned.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Went to the early show in Milwaukee. People were lined up down the block waiting to get in. Great seeing PJ on the big screen. The footage of the band playing Alive at their second show ever gave me chills. The segment with Stone going through his PJ stuff was hilarious. Amazing! Can't wait for the blu-ray and all the extras!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amazing. First off the theater in Tampa looked like a castle indoors, blew me away. The movie was more than I expected...it made me laugh and cheer and I wanted to get up and join the concert on the screen! So many wonderful moments, the whole drummer story was great. This is one movie that I can't wait to see the sequel to!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I had to leave while Given to Fly was being played as I was concerned about getting home. The movie didn't start until after 10pm.

I'm inspired to buy the DVD. I appreciated the deeper look at the beginning with Mother Love Bone.

I'm excited to find out what I missed :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    simmer1119 wrote:
    Great roller coaster of darks and lights. Dallas represented well for the three shows available and the show rocked.

hey simmer, I was at the Dallas 7 PM showing as well. It was such a great turnout and it seemed like everyone really enjoyed the movie. It almost felt like going to a Pearl Jam concert with all the long lines and PJ shirts. ;)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    WhoopWhoop Posts: 31
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had missed the showing at TIFF and having read Alan Cross's review of the movie I knew what to expect - that it would be pretty heavy on the earlier stuff. (ed. I get the impression when it comes out on DVD there will be way more stuff available as I'm sure Crowe was trying to fit everything in a 2 hour window and really you can't.)

But it was like a walk back in time for me. I was 15 at the time Ten came out and remember devouring everything about Pearl Jam from their music to their influences to anything that had a Pearl Jam track on it, etc. It was like reliving that time - the good and the bad - all over again and how much Pearl Jam's music meant to me at that time. How much I loved it and how I can't believe at one point I let it get away from me. I enjoyed the humour in it as well.

And I will admit that I did choke up at certain points. I guess I'm a sucker that way.

Like I said I'm sure when the DVD/Blu-ray comes out it will have some sort of 5 hour version on it. And I'm sure I'll be getting a copy.
  • Options
    IMHO: I thought it focused too much on the early days of the band. I'd have liked to seen more of the "No Code" era through today. I wish they would have discussed the drummer situation more in depth. This movie will be liked by hard-core fans, not sure many "new" fans would like or understand some of this.

That being said, I did like the footage...and seeing how scary creative this band is...."Alive" sounds great after 5-6 practices.....also, the part where Ed sings "at" the security guard was awesome!

I want a copy of this on Blu-Ray DVD!
    Its the same every day and the wave won't break
  • Options
    Saw it in Yonkers NY with my wife on her birthday. She once fell asleep at a PJ show (granted it was her first week at her first ever job 10 years ago), but surprised me with this and she quite enjoyed the film. I feel like it needed another 10 hours to really fill in all the gaps and represent the band, but the 2 hours we got were just superb.

My favorite was definitely Ed and Chris wrestling during Hunger Strike.

Thanks Cameron and PJ!
  • Options
    Much better than I expected! I knew Cameron Crowe would accurately document their history together with concert footage and interviews but he humanized the group impeccably. The laughter in the theater throughout the movie was unexpected and all we could talk about during the ride home!
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Great movie .

Still wonder why the side step the drummer questions ! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 16
    edited September 2011
    Just got back from Seeing the PJ20 documentary. Phenominal!!! The Tampa Theater was packed and it kind of had the atmosphere of a concert (if that's possible on a much smaller scale with no actual live act...lol).

There were times where everyone cheered, laughed, and even some touching moments. Knowing where I was at in my life and getting into high school and the things I went through and seeing how this band came to be during that time and all the things that make them who they are...it's just amaing. I mean the scene where Eddie starts to get comfortable as a lead vocalist is just freaking awesome. Also, the stage climbing/diving video clips are just unreal. I still can't believe Ed did that crazy stuff...lol.

At one point near the end, they show a clip from PJ playing Betterman from one of their more recent tours. The entire theater was singing along...freaking awesome. I have never been to a movie where the crowed reacted quite like that.

The movie does focus more on the forming of the band and their first couple albums and some of the stuff PJ stood up for and had to go through but the middle/later years are only briefly covered. Overall, I am fine with that. The most important parts are covered and the movie had to be a certain length for theaters/PBS. I just placed my order for the Blu Ray which has over 4 hours of extras. I can't wait to see it again...especially all the extras!!!
    Post edited by Kodiak on
  • Options
    I just saw it in Toronto and it was great!! Really (LOL) funny at times like when they are playing a show begrudgingly on their day off (the birth of "No") and really captured the spirit of the band and their unique personalities and I feel they laid themselves to bare for us fans so we can share their amazing life with them even more. I was blown away by some of the emotions that Eddie expressed about such things as his reaction to the large audiences etc.- I could really feel his exhilaration on the whole thing and he's an amazing being and very real. It was brave to show some negativity towards the band documented but that's why they are pros- they can deal with it and move on and flourish anyways! I really enjoyed seeing their roots and I feel it captured the spirit and essence of where they came from but also where they are going. I liked it ending with "Alive"- yes, you guys are still as alive as ever!!! Had a great time and you guys got an applause in the audience at the end- thanks for the awesome movie- definitely going to be in the movie collection!!
    Crystal Hauk
  • Options
    LoveBoatCaptainDaveLoveBoatCaptainDave san antonio,tx Posts: 461
    simply amazing here in san antonio!!!!! crowd was awesome!! cheering and clapping throughout!! can not wait for the blu ray!! thank you pearl jam!!
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014
  • Options
    I saw the flick last night... My life flashed before my eyes. The hair on my arms stood on end multiple times. It made my heart ache and beat harder with absolute joy. It also made me want to have 100 beers and put on concert DVDs. But not on a school night. :P

Took me back to that 16-17 year old that had a Million friends, yet still felt all alone.
    I am myself like you somehow
  • Options
    I absolutely loved the movie! I feel like I know the band a bit more than before.

I did notice that a lot of the movie did focus on the early years but think maybe that's because it's a very interesting time in the band's history. We've heard more from them in the later years. The only exception is the middle years which wasn't touched on much but may be because they did very little media then...

Anyway loved it and can't wait for the 3 disk box set! :D
  • Options
    too much concentration on the earlier stuff. my fav albums, No Code and Yield are hardly mentioned, and my fav drummer is seen with the band but not really mentioned apart from the fact he didn't want to go on tour, kind of disappointing. It was as if they released only two albums and possibly even a third. Disappointed as hell what Crowe has done. Still, the rare footage was great and the gig they played drunk was hilarious. I just think it could have dwelled more on what make this band great, the music, instead of just saying it is. By that, I mean, there are a number of times that the guys talk about it being art and not product. I wish I'd seen more of the process that went into that art. :)
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    i agree with those that say they would have liked some more later stuff. especially no code. jack irons was but a footnote too. i don't get that.

overall i loved it though. definitely felt like a stroll through memory lane. parts funny, sad, emotional, and just some parts (a lot actually) you wanted to get up from you seat and jump around the place.

really enjoyed it. might see it again this weekend at the franklin institute. can't wait for the bonus footage on the dvd
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Was GREAT!!! Was glad we drove to Cleveland to see. Very "heartfelt". This is what music should be about, pure passion! And all members are so giving to all. Can't wait to own this gem....
  • Options
    Amazing!
  • Options
    So most people have more memorabilia than Stone. That, to me, was the most interesting.

Is he just not into it, or is it all hidden away. I mean, he's got to have a bit more than a coffee cup and a few CD's right?

Kevin
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited September 2011
    pbultimate wrote:
    So most people have more memorabilia than Stone. That, to me, was the most interesting.

Is he just not into it, or is it all hidden away. I mean, he's got to have a bit more than a coffee cup and a few CD's right?

Kevin

I am going with "he's not that into it". I am the worse collector of things ever, well, next to Stone. :lol: So I can relate...his house didn't not have tons of knick knacks either...another sign of a non-collector. Just his personality, I guess.

I did find the movie amazing. Crowe made all the guys real in the sense of being regular guys in caught up in a very cool groove. 8-)
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    pbultimate wrote:

Kevin

They have a HQ for all their stuff and he has Jeff for anything he might need. It also doesn't look like Stone is one to have very many possessions. Plus, would you want to bring your work home with you ? 8-)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    the singles party had me laughing my ass off.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options

Why is it getting brighter in here??? :lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    WhoopWhoop Posts: 31
    Anyone catch the number on the demo tape? :lol:
  • Options
    I really enjoyed it, but I mirror the same comments as many others. I mean, Jack Irons is shown in one performance. Dave Krusen was shown in a couple, but barely mentioned. Dave A was with the band for the first 3 albums, and he's in barely anything. I just don't get why this band tries so hard to rewrite history. Dave A was in the band during its meteoric rise.

If you go to so much trouble to show the history of the band to the world, why ignore one fifth of it? it would have been ultra classy to have him interviewed, or even mention his skills as a drummer and what it brought to VS and Vitalogy, or even make a waffle joke. Something.

I can't stand half my old band, and haven't spoken to them in 2 years, but I still plan on mounting our cd promo poster on my wall with their pictures on it.

I think the movie should have been called Pearl Jam 1-7, and 18-20. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Whoop wrote:
    Anyone catch the number on the demo tape? :lol:

couldn't remember all those numbers. 8-)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

what a bloody mess. awesome to watch.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Amazing film! Even better than I expected. Amazed by how much old footage they had with little random conversations etc.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II