Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

Comments

• Options
    great!!! In Perú the movie was proyected in only two theaters, and both full of people,

Many people stayed outside trying to find tickets.

Cameron Crow is a genius.
    BS.AS. 26/11/05; LIMA 18/11/11
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 232
    Won't write too much since everything has been said, but my favorite parts were seeing the second time they played Alive at a show and when Stone said, after Ed first sang Hunger Strike with Cornell, "fuck, we have a good singer too."

I can't remember where I read/saw this, but sometime in the past couple weeks I came across something that mentioned how when the band and their families were first shown the film, some of the band was hesitant about something included, but one of their friends or family members said it had to be included. Anyone know what I am talking about/what it was?
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
    edited September 2011
    "Yea we had to change our band name. There were copyright issues with Mookie Blaylock. Apparently somebody already has that name. The guys name is Mookie Blaylock."
    Hahahaha
    Post edited by Champagne Breakfast on
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    You will feel an emotion in every moment of the film. It will be from someone on the screen, in your own soul, even about someone in your heart. Gentle reminders about the life you've lived during the last 20 years. I am in awe. The audience clapped, laughed, cried, got eerily quiet during certain moments.... and then you could hear everyone smiling.
    Detroit...City of Tomorrow

2000: 10/07-Auburn Hills, MI
    2003: 06/25 & 06/26-Clarkston, MI
    2004: 10/02-Toledo, OH
    10/03-Grand Rapids, MI
    2005: 09/11-Kitchener, Ontario
    09/12-London, Ontario
    09/13-Hamilton, Ontario
    2006: 05/19-Grand Rapids, MI
    05/22-Auburn Hills, MI
    07/22 & 07/23-George, WA
    2010: 05/09-Cleveland, OH
    2011: 09/03 & 09/04-East Troy, WI
    2014: 10/16-Detroit, MI
  • Options
    As an obsessed PJ fan I loved every moment of it. Seeing some of those video clips I didnt even know existed was insane, the highlight of which for me was Cornell and Eddie wrestling on stage mid-Hunger Strike vocal. Epic

That being said, as a documentary film I think it has some deficiencies. Im a HUGE movie fan as well so its just in my nautre to judge this aspect of it. For a movie based on 20 years of the band, about 3/4 of the movie took place within a 4-5 year span. I know that was the beginning and perhaps the height of success, but there is a lot more to this band than just that period. They also started going back and discussing certain very early aspects, like Stone and Mike knowing each other since the age of 7, in the last quarter of the movie. It felt really out of order. Also for me ignoring the drummer situation save a 1 minute clip was a bit annoying.

All that aside, I really enjoyed it, and I appreciate Crowe putting it all together.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    Gremmie933 wrote:
    My heart dropped when I heard my brother's voice in the film from an interview he had with Eddie almost 20 years ago in Columbus. We lost him a month later in a traffic accident. They used snippets from the interview in two parts of the movie. Hearing this proves that this band really cares about their fans...I've reached out to them, and so have other members of my family, and they listened.

Wow, that must have been truly special to hear that. Did you know in advance that it would be in the film, or was it a total surprise?

This was a complete surprise. I thought I was hearing things at first, but then I heard his voice...I still can't believe it. It was such an honor...
  • Options
    Gremmie933 wrote:
    Gremmie933 wrote:
    My heart dropped when I heard my brother's voice in the film from an interview he had with Eddie almost 20 years ago in Columbus. We lost him a month later in a traffic accident. They used snippets from the interview in two parts of the movie. Hearing this proves that this band really cares about their fans...I've reached out to them, and so have other members of my family, and they listened.

Wow, that must have been truly special to hear that. Did you know in advance that it would be in the film, or was it a total surprise?

This was a complete surprise. I thought I was hearing things at first, but then I heard his voice...I still can't believe it. It was such an honor...
    Awesome.. just awesome..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    cifrancgx wrote:
    Gremmie933 wrote:
    This movie went beyond my expectations...it was AMAZING and I can't wait to own it so I can check out the bonus footage. I've been a fan since 1991 and I couldn't have asked for more in this film. It really hit me on a personal level too...

Thanks, Pearl Jam.

Were you at the 7:00pm or 9:30pm showing of PJ20 at Studio 35 here in Columbus, OH Gremmie? I was at the 9:30pm showing.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Have you posted on here about your brother before, or has someone from the band or the director talked about the interview your brother did and that he died soon after? For some reason I think I heard about your brother before, but I can't remember where I heard or read about it. Maybe I am just imagining things.

Thanks cifrancgx. I was actually at the Cleveland show last night. Only one show here, I wish I had an opportunity to see it more than once.

My brother interviewed Eddie and Jeff in Columbus but he didn't live in the area; we're closer to Youngstown. I try to spread the word about him all I can, but I never posted on the forms before. I'm just honored that he was able to contribute in a small piece of this amazing band's history...and that even though most people won't know it, his legacy will live on through this movie. I wrote a bout him for the Pearl Jam yearbook that the Wishlist Foundation is putting together. Can't wait to get my copy...

But, I've shared his story with several people...every chance I get, and it would be great to know that other people are sharing it too. Do you remember when you might have seen that? I'd like to see it if you can find it.
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Cranking W.M.A. down to the theater on a beautiful San Diego night…PJ shirts/sweatshirts from all different tours on long lines out front…strangers happily exchanging PJ concert moments, stories – all giddy with anticipation for the doors to open, racing to my place in the theater…FOR A MOVIE. :)

When it was over, I walked out of the theater with a huge grin, ready to rock, satisfied but still wanting a tad more…FROM A MOVIE :)

Cheering, laughing, humming, foot-tapping – applauding – AT A MOVIE. :)

I was so fulfilled, giddy, cheeks hurting from smiling, laughing and grinning…I allowed some melancholy and reflection with the MLB/Andy stuff – even a few tears – but mostly I am so PROUD to be a fan of this awesome band that cares about its fan base SO MUCH.

I would like to extend an extreme amount of gratitude to Cameron Crowe, Pearl Jam and every soul who made that 120 minute masterpiece happen. Can’t wait to watch it again Saturday night…next month on PBS…BluRay, etc…

Simply put, the history of our band is well known to music fans. Even those who aren’t fond of their music acknowledge their influence and place in history. The development of these guys into a family and into a brotherhood of incredible artists, musicians and men – wow…it was overwhelming…

The scenes with Neil and rock royalty watching Ed on a backroom monitor while Ed was doing the RnRHOF/Ticketmaster thing was worth the $$$ for the flick alone. His musical heroes (and Willie Nelson) lovin every minute of the kid givin the business to the suits…gosh, I loved that! Many highlights, all discussed in some variety in all the pages preceding this fanview.

So glad I went…awesome flick, the sound, everything. And just like a PJ show, I can’t wait for the next get-together, concert – whatever.

Thank you fans, band and Cam. You make loving PJ easy…

Here is to 20 more!!!

One slight shot at some of the neg comments – and your entitled to them – but I can’t help but think if someone gave some of you a 20 pound brick of gold you’d complain its heavy…:)

Great reviews, thanks everyone, but I think THAT'S THE ONE that encapsulates the film best! :thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    ditto
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    wonderful movie! it was emotional for me (old school). they are something else.. i've just want to see them again, in my Zagreb!
    bru
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    -Ardy- wrote:
    You will feel an emotion in every moment of the film. It will be from someone on the screen, in your own soul, even about someone in your heart. Gentle reminders about the life you've lived during the last 20 years. I am in awe. The audience clapped, laughed, cried, got eerily quiet during certain moments.... and then you could hear everyone smiling.

This!! What a great way to put it into words.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    -Ardy- wrote:

This!! What a great way to put it into words.

Right? sounds like a great song lyric :)
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Seattle Cinerama @ 7:30

First, was reading through a bunch of reviews, and no one else mentioned the programs/booklets handed out. Was this an anomaly in Seattle, or did everyone get the PJ 20 programs? It was a glossy, full color booklet with a page with interview excerpts from each of the band members. There were stacks of boxes at the theater entrance there for the taking. They weren't handing them out; rather, people were just taking them. Most folks took only one, but some took multiples, so they ran out. Some people didn't even seem to notice them. Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch - when's the last time you left a movie with a program? Don't have a photo to share, as it's sitting on my couch at home, but can post.

That would have been a nice memento to have. All we got was Nickelback blaring through the speakers as soon as the credits were done :o
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    DDtxDDtx Posts: 21
    It was simply captivating, like all things Pearl Jam...that's why I've been a fan for 20 years.
    Thank you for sharing with us! Now, let's get moving on the next 20 :)
    Cheers!
  • Options
    WhoopWhoop Posts: 31
    Maybe some more learned members can tell me.

Where is that clip of the band rehearsing Baba O'Reilly from? Is it from video/movie?

I've seen a youtube clip but I wonder where it's from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGKJ4Re_4_A

Keep forgetting how baby-faced Eddie was back then.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    -Ardy- wrote:

just a perfect description
    Soundtrack of my life I loved every minute of it.
    highlights for me: singles party footage ~ eds climbing adventures ~ fireman pole ~ stones house.
    the footage of Italian venue was stunning. so wanna go there
    didnt want it to end. up till small hours playing tunes. woke up next day to find book arrived bliss!
    NOW PLS PLS PLS COME TO ENGLAND
    London 1996 / Manchester 2000 / Leeds 2006 / Manchester 1 & 2 2012 / EV Manchester 2012
  • Options
    Couldn't wait to see the movie, watched it in Leeds with about 100+ other PJ fans. Loved every minute of it, wished they'd cranked the volume a little more, and listening to Snow Patrol before the movie started was too much to bear. But once the movie started I was wrapt for the full 2 hours. I was at the Dublin gig with Neil Young which was an incredile memory brought vividly back to life.

Will be buying the DVD with extra footage on blue ray and spending a weekend in front of the big screen. What a band, roll on a UK tour in 2012 and hopefully a trip to a sunny outside arena gig in Spain or Portugal :D
    Neil Young & Pearl Jam Dublin 1995, Leeds Festival 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Leeds 2014, Amsterdam 2018, London 1 2022, London 2 2022
  • Options
    Saw it in Hartford at the Real Art Ways theater. Cool place.

It went much too fast.

Was nostalgic when they showed Crown of Thorns being sung in Las Vegas during PJ10.

Also, not to disagree with Jeff, but we were at the Nassau Coliseum for the 2003 show. I know that there were some yokels shouting when they did Bushleauger but I doubt there were more than a loud handful in a vast crowd. I think that song was a brave statement.

Good job Mr Crowe.

Which showing did you attend? I thought the place was ok, I found the woman who announced showing at 7pm to be pretentious and intense. I'm not into pretentious, art house, holier than thou people anywhere. I walked in with my friend early like around 4:30 or so. I told her we were going to the 7pm show. She asked us if we wanted our tickets and I answered with a question completely blowing off hers because we were hungry and wanted food. We asked where there were any good places to eat around there and she proceeded to get all snippy. They did have a really handy map of all the local places around. We ate at the Half Door, it was good. Before the show she announced to the crowd that she wanted us to heckle the 9:30 crowd for us getting tickets quicker. I thought to myself, PJ fans don't heckle each other about that shit.
    My friend and I sat in silence the whole time. In fact you could have heard a pin drop. I thought after that if the crowd had been that silent during the Ed shows how much better they would have been for that. Drinks were served at the theater so that had nothing to do with that. People laughed at the unintentionally funny parts and cheered at the end. The part when Ed was on Chris Cornell's back while singing Hunger Strike put everyone in stitches. We listened to the Boston boot in the car on the way home. She didn't go to that show and hadn't heard and was blown away by it.
    BTW Newch, there were a few empty seats at 7 :(
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    Gremmie933 wrote:
    This movie went beyond my expectations...it was AMAZING and I can't wait to own it so I can check out the bonus footage. I've been a fan since 1991 and I couldn't have asked for more in this film. It really hit me on a personal level too...

Thanks, Pearl Jam.
    Wow I would have just lost it and cried the whole time. You should ask the band if you could have the interview recorded.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I think Stone needs to hand-scrub his mug before chucking it back in the dishwasher. Don't think the dishwasher would be powerful enough.

Twas a second viewing, after seeing it first at the 9/12 screening at Toronto. Would've been the 3rd if I
    1. Realised the TIFF premiere was at 2pm, not at night
    2. Figured that someone as wonderful as Kelowna Brad was holding a ticket for me for the premiere

Up yours, Jason. Someone deflate his ego, Mr There's A Good Shot Of Me In The Credits Cos I Sent Stuff To Cameron Crowe
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    Hinn wrote:
    I think Stone needs to hand-scrub his mug before chucking it back in the dishwasher. Don't think the dishwasher would be powerful enough.

Twas a second viewing, after seeing it first at the 9/12 screening at Toronto. Would've been the 3rd if I
    2. Figured that someone as wonderful as Kelowna Brad was holding a ticket for me for the premiere

Up yours, Jason. Someone deflate his ego, Mr There's A Good Shot Of Me In The Credits Cos I Sent Stuff To Cameron Crowe
    i have to admit..when it comes to pj..the best things i saw of them...you was always next to me.... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    edited September 2011
    I really enjoyed the film, and I'm still thinking about it, and remembering it. It was different from how I expected - better in some ways, not so great in others. I think if you were someone that didn't know much about the band before this - you would get a bit of a skewed impression - there was a lot of frenzy! I'm not sure the movie built up enough context to this though - building up the context with the content of the songs, that often led to the frenzy onstage, or building up the context of just what was happening around the band in those early years (I thought this could have been done better). I think it was an insider's film, not an outsider's really. If I wanted to introduce someone to the band I don't think I would send them to this movie - I would probably give them the albums.

Having said that, I really really enjoyed it (being an insider) - the sound was really loud full and clear in my theatre, and that really added to the atmosphere. There were some great great segments - Hunger Strike, Singles Party, Bushleaguer, 'Stone' (all of him! :lol:). Andy Wood, Daughter.....

So, it was great - to see and hear all this unseen stuff, I just thought that in showing us this, there were a few gaps in the narrative across the 20 years, and the context for some of the early adventures.
    Post edited by tremors on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    I was tearing up for some of it. I can't imagine that there was anyone in the theater that didn't. Great movie! They did a Pearl Jam trivia contest at the Enzian befor the movie started which was nice also. The theater was pretty cool. I can't wait to see all the extra footage on the dvd.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Hinn wrote:

i have to admit..when it comes to pj..the best things i saw of them...you was always next to me.... :D
    Oh right, Berlin last year? Alpine 2 this year? Watching the movie at TIFF?

I'm a good luck charm for those around me :)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Saw it in Leeds Tuesday night with my Wife and thorougly enjoyed it, quite emotional at times and of course some amazing music, I'm not really bothered that it won't appeal to any other person outside of the fan base as quite a few snotty reviews are saying. This was made for the fans and that is what counts.

Having been a fan since the beginning of 92 aged 19 when I bought Ten on CD when it was first released in the UK, I've been on a journey with this band and although I've only seen them twice (more to do the bands reluctance to tour here that much) I've been there ever since and fought in their corner when anyone has got stuck in, although they aren't my all time fave band the fact I've been there since the pretty much since the beginning and are still here aged 39 I feel something special I don't for other bands because I've always been a fan and I don't really think I can say that about any other band.

Will defintely be getting the Blu ray and re-living the experience as well as the other goodies contained in that comprehensive set.
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Obviously, I loved the movie! My wife came with me and really enjoyed it too. The lingering thought I have 2 days later is that I want to see the full footage of the "singles" party!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    I went with my brother (both 45) and invited two older music fans from my local on the off chance they might like it. Both are into Steve Earle, Dylan, mostly folk bands etc.
    I turned to them at the end unsure of what they would think. First words out of their mouths was that the movie had been AWESOME and had really inspired them to start listening to some differant music. Vicky (who has just retired) couldnt believe that she'd never heard any PJ and wondered how it had passed her by. Back in the local later I was advising them on the essential albums to buy and DVD's to watch. Looks like PJ have 2 new fans, so this rubbish about it being a movie for insiders is clearly not the case, its a film for all music lovers.
    Neil Young & Pearl Jam Dublin 1995, Leeds Festival 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Leeds 2014, Amsterdam 2018, London 1 2022, London 2 2022
  • Options
    I'm from Seattle and live in LA now and saw it at the Cinerama Dome. Loved seeing all the PJ fans from LA out. The film was great in showing how different Seattle music was from LA, and I loved seeing the Easy Street stickers littered throughout the film! Also, I believe I saw one shot of Mia Zapata in there, which is one of Seattle's tragic music stories. Loved the film and Cameron really shows how much he loves the city too! Can't wait for the DVD. I hope it's a lot longer!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    Sunday...5pm...the Brattle Theater in Harvard Square...so excited!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."