Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

Comments

• Options
    Loved the film some amazing footage of the early Seattle scene, in reality the film would have to have been 24 hrs long to please everyone. I really would have liked to have seen more about the making of the records too. BTW couldn't believe some of the audience in the Liverpool screening who kept getting up and either going to the bar or toilet what's wrong with these people.
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Fatal wrote:
    Loved the movie.

It was kind of odd jumping back and forth between old and new footage...i probably would have prefered to see an earlier version of Release for instance, but no question the one they used was beautiful.

The movie kind of peaks half way thru...or maybe 2/3 of the way thru, but it was still an exceptionally well put together documentary with lots of great "new" footage.

I guess my pet peeve is that i wish they had dug a little deeper at some of the more controversial stuff....the drummer situation (in particular Dave A), the No Code sessions/Ed taking control/travelling on his own etc...more about how they almost broke up and what brought them back together.

But finally a BIG thank you to Cameron Crowe for putting this together. Such a treat for us fans. Can't wait to get the super delux blu-ray in my hands.

Oh and one last thing.....LOVED Stone in this movie. His modern day interviews were by far the most engaging.

AMEN ! This sums up my view as well. It was def a love letter more than a "documentary"
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    Not enough time today to read through all the other reviews, but it would appear that I'm right along with everyone else -- loved it. Saw it at the 7 p.m. in STL with my wife (who is ready to leave me for Chris Cornell, I believe) and 3 recent PJ converts, who really enjoyed it.

Reminded me a lot of the feeling after a PJ show. "Setlist was awesome - wish they would've played..." I thought the way they did the drummer issue was actually somewhat clever considering no one really wants to bring that back up. I can picture Crowe saying, "Hey, make the guy least affected by it (Mike) tell the story in 1 minute or less!" Still, I would've liked to heard more on it, but there was so much stuff to cover and two hours (like a PJ show) just flew by. Anyway, like a PJ show...never wanted it to end and they could've told me stories about Stone's choice in dish soap (he might want to consider a switch, btw ;) ) and I would've been happy.

The story really told itself, which I found to be quite intriguing. Not much Crowe narration after the intro, which just goes to show how well he was able to let the footage and editing do the work. Speaking of...loved the Singles "birth of no" scene. Release was amazing and I actually had tears during Alive. 20 years of not only that band being "alive", but also the most important 20 years of mine (marriage, family, career, etc.) got to me.

As always, I am so appreciative of finding this band so long ago and the places it has taken me...what an amazing year to celebrate 20.

(side note: after everone cleared out of the 7 pm show, I saw a guy roll out with a poster tube, like he had just hit it big on the lottery. I asked the concession guy about it, who pointed me to the manager, who eventually told me -- all frazzled like -- that he had one poster left. Asked him how much...he says, "$20?". Sold, baby! Bet he had no idea how much he could've got for it or the craziness of the poster line at Alpine or any other show. Just when I thought I would take a night off from a PJ poster frenzy, it strikes again! Think I'm going to need a bigger house...:D )
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    It was very, very good...it was better than Rattle and Hum, but not quite as good as The Kids Are Alright. When you see it again on TV, it may seem like a VH1 Behind the Music without MOST of the insipid narration.

Release still rules, and the footage of that song is stunning. The Singles Party really made me laugh and one million records the first week of vs., that still blows my mind.

My 945pm showing in AFI Silver in Silver Spring MD(nice movie theater) could have had the volume at least 2 ticks LOUDER.

totally agree about release....having Eddie describe his relationship with his father as they fade into the live Release footage was awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I went to see PJ20 with my wife in Houston last night. We got to the theater at 6PM for the 7PM show and there was already a line down the street. The movie tavern has a bar, so that added some extra flair to the proceedings. The theater was full by the time the show started.

It was like Cameron Crowe sat down and asked himself, "How can I organize 20 years of amazing concert footage along with intimate interviews with each band member to grant the biggest Pearl Jam fangasm?"

So many wonderful memories sparked to my mind during the movie, and I had not seen much of the concert footage from the early days. I'm 35 now so I discovered Pearl Jam during my early high-school days, and the waves of nostalgia crashed over me throughout the evening.

In terms of the specifics of the movie:

Stone Gossard and Chris Cornell were both hilarious and engaging. The enitre theater laughed when Stone was talking about Temple of the Dog and how Chis was a good singer, but when Eddie jumped into "Hunger Strike," Stone added something like, "Damn, we have a f**king good singer too!" Chris talking about Mike McCready's skills and "Reach Down" was fantastic and had the theater rolling (I'm paraphrasing from what I recall), "I'm going to write a 12-minute song. It's going to be 10 minutes of guitar solos, and f**k it, I'm going to start the album off with it. And if you don't like it, I don't give a f**k. And we NOW have a guy that can do it. He can PLAY. I mean - he has problems and sooner or later you're going to need to deal with that, but he's good."

The footage of Eddie swinging from the stages is wild. I have no idea how he isn't dead.

The footage from "Alive" at The Spectrum in Philly was awesome because I was in the crowd that night. I flew from Houston to Philly for that show (and to visit family, but primarily for the concert).

Eddie talking about singing "Black" was powerful to me. His thoughts about singing the song, "That's how I felt when I wrote it. I feel the same way every time I sing it," match with how I think about that song. It reminds me of certain feelings back in high school. And anytime I heard it, I have those same feelings and memories. That "got" to me.

Others have said it, but the footage - and voiceover from others talking about the incident - of Eddie "flipping a switch" during a concert while pissed off at a security guard is mind-blowing. It feels like you're watching a piece of your own history, which may not make sense. But that statement applies to the whole movie - I felt like I was learning about a personal history that I participated in and shared even though I don't know any of these people.

The entire movie was great. For two hours, I alternated between laughing, tearing up and smiling like a dumbfounded jackass throughout the movie.
    You will try.
  • Options
    Tuta23Tuta23 Posts: 115
    I had a feeling I would want to see this movie more than Once, so I bought a ticket for each showing last night in Houston.

Basically -- ditto everything above from all you guys. Plus, I didn't realize this movie would make me love this band even more.

Finally, I now daydream about being able to play the guitar even more than usual!

Thanks PJ Family!
    I am not a Thief of Silence.
  • Options
    WhoopWhoop Posts: 31
    Swanton wrote:
    I went to see PJ20 with my wife in Houston last night. We got to the theater at 6PM for the 7PM show and there was already a line down the street. The movie tavern has a bar, so that added some extra flair to the proceedings. The theater was full by the time the show started.

It was like Cameron Crowe sat down and asked himself, "How can I organize 20 years of amazing concert footage along with intimate interviews with each band member to grant the biggest Pearl Jam fangasm?"

So many wonderful memories sparked to my mind during the movie, and I had not seen much of the concert footage from the early days. I'm 35 now so I discovered Pearl Jam during my early high-school days, and the waves of nostalgia crashed over me throughout the evening.

In terms of the specifics of the movie:

Stone Gossard and Chris Cornell were both hilarious and engaging. The enitre theater laughed when Stone was talking about Temple of the Dog and how Chis was a good singer, but when Eddie jumped into "Hunger Strike," Stone added something like, "Damn, we have a f**king good singer too!" Chris talking about Mike McCready's skills and "Reach Down" was fantastic and had the theater rolling (I'm paraphrasing from what I recall), "I'm going to write a 12-minute song. It's going to be 10 minutes of guitar solos, and f**k it, I'm going to start the album off with it. And if you don't like it, I don't give a f**k. And we NOW have a guy that can do it. He can PLAY. I mean - he has problems and sooner or later you're going to need to deal with that, but he's good."

The footage of Eddie swinging from the stages is wild. I have no idea how he isn't dead.

The footage from "Alive" at The Spectrum in Philly was awesome because I was in the crowd that night. I flew from Houston to Philly for that show (and to visit family, but primarily for the concert).

Eddie talking about singing "Black" was powerful to me. His thoughts about singing the song, "That's how I felt when I wrote it. I feel the same way every time I sing it," match with how I think about that song. It reminds me of certain feelings back in high school. And anytime I heard it, I have those same feelings and memories. That "got" to me.

Others have said it, but the footage - and voiceover from others talking about the incident - of Eddie "flipping a switch" during a concert while pissed off at a security guard is mind-blowing. It feels like you're watching a piece of your own history, which may not make sense. But that statement applies to the whole movie - I felt like I was learning about a personal history that I participated in and shared even though I don't know any of these people.

The entire movie was great. For two hours, I alternated between laughing, tearing up and smiling like a dumbfounded jackass throughout the movie.

I know I posted my review last night, but this review speaks to me. :)

... and it makes total sense.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Incredible!

This is another example of the band doing what they want, they way they want, and not giving a f#ck what anyone says about it. My 11 year-old son leaned over at one point and said "I never realized how much Pearl Jam just does their own thing." So thank you, Pearl Jam, for staying true to yourselves and doing PJ20 like you wanted to do it. It had me laughing (Ed singing to the security guy, stumbling @ Singles release party, dusty grammy in Stone's basement, Stone's grungy coffee cup, etc), teared up (Mike's brief touch on his battle with addiction...sidenote, so happy he's beat those demons!, Chris and Jeff explaining the loss of Andy Wood), energized (every time one of their live performances was highlighted), humbled (the entire Andy Wood explanation...so classy!), impressed at their roles as fathers (Mike's little one sitting in front of him during an interview, Stone's copies of Winnie the Pooh & Toy Story on his bookshelf, not touched upon in the film but Eddie's obvious pain from not knowing his father & breaking that cycle w/his own children), and pleased they have found their drummer...80 songs learned in 10 days?! Matt is sick!

Can't wait for the bonus footage! My 9 year-old leaned over and asked "When are they going to explain how Boom joined the band?" Again, they did this film their way, and it was incredible. Can't wait to see what other nuggets are in the bonus material!

9 year-old also loved the Oriental Theater in Milwaukee...a cool experience all around!
  • Options
    PJenPJen Posts: 127
    edited September 2011
    I was at the late show in Detroit (Royal Oak) and I thought the movie was simply incredible..

I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more (thanx Stone) and I cried yet again..

I knew the movie was going to be great, but I left the theatre somehow more in love with this band?? Is that even possible??

Their music has done so much for me. From inspiring me to play at a young age, from influencing (to a degree) my outlook on life and what is possible, to truly helping me through some of the darkest points of my life and becoming the soundtrack for some of the greatest moments of my life..

This band, this thing that we all connect to is nothing short of magic.. and the ride that is taken with this movie, was nothing short of that...

pure magic...

Couldn't have said it better! The movie was amazing and made me so proud to be a PJ fan! Where the heck did the last 20 years go!? It's just crazy how time flies. Great crowd at the Crest in Sac. By the end of the movie I wanted to jump out of my seat, just like a live show! Couldn't help but sing along too. Our 12 year old daughter came along and loved it. She was laughing and had a great time. It was so cool to share this with her. Massive thanks and much love to Pearl Jam and Cameron Crowe for the amazing memories! Here's to the next 20 boys! :D
    Post edited by PJen on
    "Don't let it get ya down, ya know, still give your love, just give it away. I love singing that part." -- EV (SVT)
  • Options
    Saw the movie for free at the Bagdad Theatre in Portland,OR.line was around the block.The movie made me laugh and brought a tear to my eye,but was smiling the whole time.It was great, definately need the deluxe DVD now.Thanks guys for a rockin 20 years.

I was at the Bagdad, too! It was cool that they did that, since the Hollywood showing was sold out. What a great movie - def. worth standing in line for 45 min.!
  • Options
    +1 to wanting to see deeper into the creative process, and writing the albums. I forgot to mention that it my "review".
    Swanton wrote:

Same :)
  • Options
    Indifference10Indifference10 Near Brussels Posts: 34
    Amazing!

I watched it in Brussels and loved every second of it! Some bits made me laugh, others gave me goosebumps and some almost made me cry.

Great portrait of a great band...

Ordered the blue ray...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: London, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: Nijmegen, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Werchter, Amsterdam I & II (Ed solo)
    2013: Chicago
    2014: Amsterdam, Berlin, Werchter
    2017: Amsterdam (Ed solo), Antwerp (Ed solo)
    2018: Amsterdam, Werchter
    2019: Amsterdam I & II (Ed solo), Brussels (Ed solo)
    2022: Werchter, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    edited September 2011
    I really liked the movie, but to echo a few previous comments as well as numerous FB conversations, it didn't dig far enough. It skimmed over way too many topics and jumped around. I would have liked to have seen a number of areas explored further... plus it needed way more MCCREADY!

The first 10 years aren't really a mystery, the media scrutiny was intense, they were everywhere... the last 10 years are the ones I'm more interested in... how they survived. How these very different individuals make it work and continue to churn out music, how the songwriting process works. The 2nd 10 years were the least explored areas in the film. Ed touched on bonding with Jeff, but what about the rest of the guys? I wanted to learn more about the bond within the band which is clearly there but just not talked about. I feel it was an opportunity missed to dig a little deeper but I know they can't include everything. It was fun, though... fun to see friends in the audience of shows up on the big screen.

Speaking of shows... now, about those Philly DVDs... clearly they were filmed, we already knew this... boxset? ;)
    Post edited by Tone on
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    what was the coffee mug stone showed that was dirty? we were all laughing too much at that part to notice the PJ keepsake that it was?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    I was at the Landmark theater in Baltimore for the first of two shows last night. Ran into some friends who I've seen Pearl Jam shows with. The theater was full, and the movie had everyone's full attention. It was hard to sit still and not sing loudly along with the songs. I laughed, got teary-eyed, and got very nostalgic. Especially seeing clips from some shows that I've been at. The last live song shown was from 10/30/2009 in Philadelphia...I was there that night with the same people I was sitting with watching the movie. That was awesome. I listened to the soundtrack on the way there and the way home. Now I'm just itching for a show. I think we all are...but aren't we always...

I've been in the fan club for over 15 years now and have been to a couple dozen shows. I think the movie satisfies the die-hard fans like me, but we always want more from our favorite band. My husband, who isn't as huge a Pearl Jam fan as me, but always comes along and supports me, really enjoyed the movie. When we left there was a long line of people ready to go into the next showing. PJ shirts galore...luv that.

Cameron Crowe did a great job. Can't wait to buy the dvd with all the extras. Thanks Pearl Jam, and, Happy Anniversary!
  • Options
    Bloody BushBloody Bush Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    Hey Pearl Jam Brothers and Sisters,
    watched the flick last night in Surrey, B.C., Canada (PJ here in 4 days - yep, you're all jealous I know :lol: ) and left with a real buzz and genuine appreciation for the journey. For those who didn't get their fill, obviously the extra 4 hours of footage on DVD will probably fill in some gaps. I picked up Crowe's book and it is stellar. Many of the holes (i.e. drummer snafu) get discussed much more indepth. As others eluded to here on the forum, I was wondering why we never got much about Boom (not even a snippet - he just appeared in limited footage towards the end :?: ). Considering he has been a fulltime member of the band for the last 8 or so years, I think he was kinda slighted. I'm just sayin'.

Either way, like so many of you hardcores, I didn't want the movie to end. It was like re-living part of my own journey considering the role the band has had in my life for so long. So many overlapping memories (i.e. having the bastard border guards plant weed in my car while crossing south for the Ground Works show in Seattle, just after after 9/11 :twisted: Man, we thought they were gonna lock us up for life).

Going on 12 shows for me now, all unique and special in their own right, and I'm still a PJ baby compared to many of you junkies. To all of you awesome, Pearl Jam-loving faithful, you rock as hard as the band. Thanks for being true to a group whose ideals and vision have transcended music! It makes my balls tingle.
    Post edited by Bloody Bush on
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Black73 wrote:
    Incredible!

This is another example of the band doing what they want, they way they want, and not giving a f#ck what anyone says about it. My 11 year-old son leaned over at one point and said "I never realized how much Pearl Jam just does their own thing." So thank you, Pearl Jam, for staying true to yourselves and doing PJ20 like you wanted to do it. It had me laughing (Ed singing to the security guy, stumbling @ Singles release party, dusty grammy in Stone's basement, Stone's grungy coffee cup, etc), teared up (Mike's brief touch on his battle with addiction...sidenote, so happy he's beat those demons!, Chris and Jeff explaining the loss of Andy Wood), energized (every time one of their live performances was highlighted), humbled (the entire Andy Wood explanation...so classy!), impressed at their roles as fathers (Mike's little one sitting in front of him during an interview, Stone's copies of Winnie the Pooh & Toy Story on his bookshelf, not touched upon in the film but Eddie's obvious pain from not knowing his father & breaking that cycle w/his own children), and pleased they have found their drummer...80 songs learned in 10 days?! Matt is sick!

Can't wait for the bonus footage! My 9 year-old leaned over and asked "When are they going to explain how Boom joined the band?" Again, they did this film their way, and it was incredible. Can't wait to see what other nuggets are in the bonus material!

9 year-old also loved the Oriental Theater in Milwaukee...a cool experience all around!

Wow, your kids appreciating Boom and how much PJ are doing their own thing at 11 and 9 is awesome :!:
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    Incredible!! Thanks you so much guys!!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Went to see it last nite in my hometown theater with a friend from my school days ... Me and my friend have been fans of PJ since 1991/1992 ... I cannot describe the excitement I felt as I entered what was to be an almost full theater... We joked that the screen would be removed and PJ would appear to play an intimate concert!! :D .. I enjoyed it from beginning to end experiencing joy,sadness pride .. pride in our band ... and as a fan I felt how much they appreciate us :) .. I have changed over the last 20 years but one thing has stayed constant and that is my love for this band !!!! I really thought it was funny at the start where it was mentioned that Jeffs overriding feeling was to punch Stone!! ...
    Keep on keepin on Ed,Jeff,Stone,Mike and Matt.. Please come to Europe sooooooon ...
    Looking forward to getting the blu-ray box Set!!!
  • Options
    LOVED IT!!!! It gave me chills, I NEED this dvd.

The theater was full here in Sao Paulo! Can't wait for the concerts.

Falling in love with them all over again...
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    AND
    2 more things...

I dusted off Vitalogy today. That record SMOKES.

Crown of Thorns is really great.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    After seeing PJ20 last night, I can only say how proud it made me to have been a supporter of this band for so many years. I can't describe how much I enjoyed the film and I have absolutely no complaints other than the 2 hours went by too quickly!

I was in the crowd at Roskilde in 2000 and I'll never forget that day. What I saw in the reaction of the band members that day was reflected in what I saw throughout PJ20. Pearl Jam is not a band made up of 'Rock Stars'; they're a band who are just as human as those of us in the crowd. They've never lost touch with the real world and as a result their music has never lost its power. Maybe it's their imperfections, their emotions and their love for each other, their supporters and the music that has me lining up every time they're in the general area. Is it too simple to think the only meaningful difference between the band and the supporters is they make the music and we listen to it..?

Most fans won't need a reminder of the emotion behind the songs, but having seen the band play live (in Winnipeg) and seeing the film a few days later, it's safe to say I'm keen for another 20 years.

Thanks to Cameron Crowe for the brilliant film and thanks to Pearl Jam for twenty years of memories involked by each song.
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Loved it! Want more.
  • Options
    Almost 24 hours later and I am still in that "speechless awe". I am honestly at a loss for words. It was a great film and it brought up so many memories. I know it was a limited release, but deep down I secretly wish the film creates a buzz that would snowball into a phenomenon where it continues to play like a regular movie, but I digress. Four Stars a must see!
    1998:
    2000:
    2003:
    2004:
    2005:
    2006:
    2007:
    2008:
    2009:
  • Options
    It was perfect! :)
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I am very, very happy, I had the chance to see the movie in cinema. I have very bad time in my life, my mood that day was so bad.. I worried if I could appreciete the movie enough. After a few minutes I left my troubles far away. And I learnt about life and relationships more than I could for many months. I needed this knowledge now, and, like always, I found it in right moment and from Pearl Jam again.
    Thank You, Cameron for Your art, for the document.
    Thank You, Guys for trust and sharing Your deep feelings about Yourselves, about us - Your fans - even it wasn't every time nice. And thank You for Your time and work.
    Thank You, Ed, for showing Your Dad's photo, we know it was so intimate thing. Thank You Stone for Your speech about the power in The Band.Thank You Mike for the truth about Your illness. Thank You Jeff for Your story about your childhood. And Matt for Your work:)
    Thank You Pearl Jam for Your trust and honesty.
    With respect - H.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I had one thought continuously in my mind during most of the film:

"...I can't wait to own this dvd".

And I don't collect dvds, nor watch much TV. I loved it that much.

And I have to say, my favorite part was Stone's house. :lol:
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Cranking W.M.A. down to the theater on a beautiful San Diego night…PJ shirts/sweatshirts from all different tours on long lines out front…strangers happily exchanging PJ concert moments, stories – all giddy with anticipation for the doors to open, racing to my place in the theater…FOR A MOVIE. :)

When it was over, I walked out of the theater with a huge grin, ready to rock, satisfied but still wanting a tad more…FROM A MOVIE :)

Cheering, laughing, humming, foot-tapping – applauding – AT A MOVIE. :)

I was so fulfilled, giddy, cheeks hurting from smiling, laughing and grinning…I allowed some melancholy and reflection with the MLB/Andy stuff – even a few tears – but mostly I am so PROUD to be a fan of this awesome band that cares about its fan base SO MUCH.

I would like to extend an extreme amount of gratitude to Cameron Crowe, Pearl Jam and every soul who made that 120 minute masterpiece happen. Can’t wait to watch it again Saturday night…next month on PBS…BluRay, etc…

Simply put, the history of our band is well known to music fans. Even those who aren’t fond of their music acknowledge their influence and place in history. The development of these guys into a family and into a brotherhood of incredible artists, musicians and men – wow…it was overwhelming…

The scenes with Neil and rock royalty watching Ed on a backroom monitor while Ed was doing the RnRHOF/Ticketmaster thing was worth the $$$ for the flick alone. His musical heroes (and Willie Nelson) lovin every minute of the kid givin the business to the suits…gosh, I loved that! Many highlights, all discussed in some variety in all the pages preceding this fanview.

So glad I went…awesome flick, the sound, everything. And just like a PJ show, I can’t wait for the next get-together, concert – whatever.

Thank you fans, band and Cam. You make loving PJ easy…

Here is to 20 more!!!

One slight shot at some of the neg comments – and your entitled to them – but I can’t help but think if someone gave some of you a 20 pound brick of gold you’d complain its heavy…:)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    My husband and I saw the 2nd show at the Tivoli in St. Louis last night. Even my non PJ fan husband acknowledged that it was a good movie. I loved it. My husband and I looked at each other when in a couple of the performance clips shown Ed was wearing a tshirt that said "Tivoli" on the front.

So many favorite segments like the band having to change their name from Mookie Blaylock, seeing the early footage of Ed climbing the rafters and Jeff's and Stone's comments about that, Stone's comment about them "having a pretty good singer too" and on and on. All good and I would have been even happier if there were a few more hours of movie.

And like always I enjoyed meeting up with a few of our PJ friends prior to the show.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    wurldtravelerwurldtraveler Posts: 72
    edited September 2011
    Seattle Cinerama @ 7:30

First, was reading through a bunch of reviews, and no one else mentioned the programs/booklets handed out. Was this an anomaly in Seattle, or did everyone get the PJ 20 programs? It was a glossy, full color booklet with a page with interview excerpts from each of the band members. There were stacks of boxes at the theater entrance there for the taking. They weren't handing them out; rather, people were just taking them. Most folks took only one, but some took multiples, so they ran out. Some people didn't even seem to notice them. Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch - when's the last time you left a movie with a program? Don't have a photo to share, as it's sitting on my couch at home, but can post.

I concur with a lot that's been said - the film was light on the second ten years, and there wasn't a whole lot about the philosophy or thought process into the various albums. My favorite parts were Ed singing at the security guard, the Singles launch party (and Ed's interview reaction of "you have footage of that?"), and his wrestling with Chris Cornell during Hunger Strike, along with Stone's coffee mug from a Mexico tour (?) and his dusty Grammy.

The film did spend a lot of time on Andy Wood. It felt a lot like watching Malfunkshun at first, and it kind of made me want to watch that again. I get why Crowe did it and respect it, but it made it imbalanced. For example, there's nothing in the film about Ed going solo and how the band has felt about that.

BTW, the audience was great - like other audiences mentioned here, no phones going off or anything during the film. The Cinerama is a great theater with a couple balcony tiers, and it made me think how great it would have been to see Ed play here (though Benaroya is amazing). Looking forward to the blu-ray. BTW, is the blu-ray only going to be available via 10c or will it be sold in stores?

I left thinking I really need to go to another show now, and thankfully, I've got Vancouver to look forward to this Sunday.
    Post edited by wurldtraveler on
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11