Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

Comments

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    It was awesome! I wish there were a mini-series-length version with even more info & footage! I brought my 20-year-old cousin who's not particularly a fan & doesn't know much about the band & I thought it was a good mix of new footage for us serious fans & basic info for the newbies like her. She really liked it too! I was surprised at how good the turnout was in Santa Fe given that I didn't see any local press for it & since only a small minority of New Mexicans live in Santa Fe.
  • Options
    This movie went beyond my expectations...it was AMAZING and I can't wait to own it so I can check out the bonus footage. I've been a fan since 1991 and I couldn't have asked for more in this film. It really hit me on a personal level too...

My heart dropped when I heard my brother's voice in the film from an interview he had with Eddie almost 20 years ago in Columbus. We lost him a month later in a traffic accident. They used snippets from the interview in two parts of the movie. Hearing this proves that this band really cares about their fans...I've reached out to them, and so have other members of my family, and they listened.

Thanks, Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJ73PJ73 Posts: 68
    First I really enjoyed the movie - loved the early footage and all the MLB videos. The band members all come off as really great guys too, which we probably all knew, but it's nice to see in the movie ;) Lots of funny moments (Singles party esp!) that had the theater laughing. I also enjoyed some of the band member vignettes at the 3/4 mark too.

My issue with it is Cameron Crowe - I could tell he was the director. I find him a good director who chooses his works well but his pacing, especially with his later movies, always feels a little off. At points in this movie, I thought I was getting bombarded with info and then it would kind of lilt off and the movie would skip several years and then bam - we're at Roskilde. And then a lot of early 2000s, then bam - we're at 2008. I also thought the movie glossed over the drummer situation and the No Code years too quickly. No Code's omission was pretty glaring to me since I consider that album to be their turning point, when they became the band they are today.

That said, the subject matter more than makes up for any pacing issues and I am more than looking forward to seeing this on PBS (and seeing how they handle the frequent use of the f word) and then the extended DVD.

Honestly not a bad way to spend a couple of hours :D
  • Options
    Pj20 focuses too much on the band instead of the music tht makes the band great! I like hearing the guys from the band talk, but I wish they would have talked more in depth about their music and the story behind each album; the inspirations, the writing process, a little about the meanings of the songs and their feelings about their music. Cameron Crowe is guilty of what most people are guilty of.... ignoing pj's music after ten and failing to realize how much more creative and interesting pj's music has become since then.
  • Options
    the singles party had me laughing my ass off.

Why is it getting brighter in here??? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    I have to say for me the Crown of Thorns portion was the best part of the film. Wonderful tribute to Andy. I also thought that the section about Eddie and Jeff's relationship was cool. I Also loved the comments from Cornell about Mike. Mike's reply was priceless! I think the Grammy at Stone's house is ready for a garage sale....
    I saw it in Tucson,Az btw
  • Options
    Loved every second of it. If cameron crowe touched on every second of the band , we would be waiting a lot longer for this to be out.

Cannot wait for the dvd
  • Options
    Saw the movie back to back at two nearby theaters that were showing it tonight, and I really enjoyed it. Both times I saw it, when they show the band playing Alive at the Moore, I got chills - to have a chance to see footage from that show was amazing since that is really where it all began. I thought the MLB/Andy Wood parts of the movie were handled well also. Loved that they used Indifference when talking about Cobain's suicide. Stone finding a Grammy in the basement wrapped in the lamp cord cracked me up both times (oh look, a grammy!) and Rothskilde was truly upsetting. I was at the MSG show that they filmed Better Man at, and that kind of made me feel like I was a small part of the movie, even though I was singing along with 20000 other fans.

While I understand why a lot of the middle section of the history is glossed over quickly, I was hoping for a little more in this area. I also thought the song choices were a little too heavy on the Italian tour, which had its own DVD. I know everyone has mentioned the drummer thing, but I thought the clip they used was actually pretty entertaining. But by skipping out on most of the mid-late year stuff they weren't able to talk to Matt Cameron too much, so it does seem like there is a missing part of the band. And a little piece on how Boom became a part of the group would have been nice too. The other thing I think they should have spent a couple minutes on the creation of their own label and how that has affected the later years of the band. It sounds like a lot, but it's all nit picking for the most part.

I came home and ordered the Deluxe blu-ray, so let's hope the additional footage focuses on some of the missing parts of the band's history.

If you didn't get a chance to see it tonight, and you are near an extended run city, definitely go check it out. All in all, it's like a peek behind the wizard's curtain...you won't be sorry. Already looking forward to seeing it again!
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Got to the IFC Center about 9pm..picked up my ticket at will call that was left by the nicest promo lady for RXP/HOT97, Angela. Waited in line til about 915 when they started letting ppl in. When it was my turn, they told me to wait to the side w other contest winners bc our tix werent the same as the others. They wouldnt let us in until somebody from "the radio station" came to the theatre with the correct tix. At this point, myself and the other 6 of us are starting to freak out. We had waited 25 min at this point and it wasnt until a woman named Claire from Sony Music came to assist the 3 winners from their contest. Lucky for the other 7 of us, she gave us tix w/o even asking which contests we'd won (basically bc we all had the same looking tix). Maybe I was the only one that was non-Sony, idk, but I consider myself even more fortunate and ultimately thankful. We got let in at 950, TEN minutes b4 the TENpm showing. I still dont kno why they couldnt have hole-punched our tix and save Claire the trip but w/e.

As for my reaction to the movie....like I was telling my new forum friend Sean, who I ended up sitting next to, who also ended up being the guy that claimed the spare offered by jamburger 2 hrs b4 me (fate is a funny thing sometimes...when it all works out), I never looked at any of the 20 days of PJ or listened to any songs from the soundtrack etc etc etc. The only thing I saw was the footage that aired on Jimmy Fallon & that was enough to make me giddy. I always like to be more surprised...its part of my personal connection to the band which is why I dont go searching for leaked tracks or b-sides from upcoming albums etc etc.
    Anyways, im not goin to discuss the movie at all (and I hope others dont either) bc everyone that wants to see this movie deserves to be surprised. It was an awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing documentary. As the movie went on, it touched on things I was waiting for (i.e. Drummers, and thats all im saying) and as an audience member, that's what makes a good film. Crowe is a master of his craft.

I got goosebumps a few times, the scene selections were excellent, and it all encompasses the journey of the music (that brings us all together). I left the theatre with that glow, that high that only comes when youre leaving the venue after witnessing a PJ concert. I need my fix soon. But I have the book, the soundtrack, and the deluxe blu-ray to keep me satisfied for now.

SIDENOTE: When I was in the cab home...we hit every single green light from W 4th St to W 38th before the cab driver took a right to avoid construction (and yet the lights were still turning green). It was like dominoes...sooooo cool. When i walked out of the theatre it was about 12:04; I didn't think I'd make the 1215 express train...but thanx to the neverending string of green lights and the cabbies driving skills, I made it to Grand Central in 6 minutes. That also makes me think...the movie came on at about 10:02 and played til at least midnight with all the credits so I'd say it's about 1 hr 55 min not 1 hr 49 min in case anyone is trying to budget their time. That extra six minutes is a 40 block cab ride LOL
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    We were really happy with it. Gonna get the bluray fur sure.

One of my fave bits was when Ed was singing COT and they showed footage of Andy singing along: very moving.

Cameron Crowe did a hell of a job putting it together. Well done!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The show in Seattle was surreal. Half the crowd literally attended most of the early shows in the film - it was like watching a time capsule for us. The views of the city back then vs. how it is now, and most of those places were right outside the venue - Cinerama. Cinerama might be one of, if not the, best places in the US to see a movie.

The line to enter was around the block. I can't believe they added even more shows. Contemplating seeing this two or three more times. If you want to see PJ20 again, just come to Seattle. It'll be playing here through the weekend.

Amazing movie. Just amazing.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Just got back from the Chicago screening...classy joint with classy people...it was so quiet in there you could hear a pin drop, everyone was so transfixed the entire time (I'm not used to that in regular movie theaters!). Then at the end there was applause and someone yelled, "Rewind it!" :lol:
    Overall, I was very pleased with it. There was quite a bit of footage that I've never seen before, especially the Andy Wood stuff. The presentation of the early years really made me stop and think how horrifying it would be to be a band playing in little clubs, and then boom, you're owned by the record company and you've gotten too big too fast. That was very well done.
    I would have liked to see a bit more of the No Code/post-2003 Pearl Jam, but I guess this is mostly a movie about the early years, so that's fine. On the whole, it was very well put together and I can't wait to watch it again.
    Oh, and when Ed went off on the security guard who was beating up the crowd member...that was hot. :oops: :lol:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    was a beautiful night in Manhattan,
    mets some great people
    ( thanks for the tickets Jen )
    I was 2nd on the line ,
    and was glad when i saw how small that theatre was inside.

The boys looked great up on the big screen.

The only disappointment I had was not seeing
    that portion of the PJ20 soundtrack CD2;
    with Jeff playing/singing NAIS.

These guys are hitting on all cylinders, thats evident.
    I do not want to ruin anything for the folks that havent seen it yet.
    Run ,...dont walk to the nearest theatre !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    went to the nashville screening at the belcourt. guy making intro to the show had some interesting comments on the mid TN fanbase......yes we are here....come to the south....

great time. really enjoyed the highlights on MLB. the singles party show.....once the time machine is finished....thats the first stop.

cameron crowe is genius. really put a great perspective on the band. awesome job.

after watching it, I think jeff is my new favorite... i wanna hang with him the most

cant wait for the blu ray
  • Options
    I saw this last night and still have aching cheeks from smiling for sooooo long. I loved the drunken footage of Eddie on stage and getting to see more of Jeff was rad!
    Eddie said "I hope they feed you in jail."
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Unreal

it explains everything....why they did what they did in the past, how they became who they are, why they hate Binaural and Riot Act....

best rock movie ever
  • Options
    Great film!!! I just got home and loved the entire thing. I found myself wishing it would be as in depth over the last 10 years as it was the first 10 years. I loved the start and all the footage with Andy that I had never seen.

I loved getting to see the guys in their respective 'places' and reflecting on their career. Eddie commenting on his pictures, Stone going through his (lack of) memorabilia. I liked how it hit on most of the major topics of the bands career. I was continually amazed at how young they all looked. It kind of made me feel old! :P

It was interesting to hear the music played behind the current theme of the movie... The live versions played behind the interviews occurring. A few that stick out to me are: Release and how the music was being played by the band as a jam when Ed showed up and how the band was playing it as a 'we can use this in the future' type of thing and Ed was looking at it as a 'I can use this to vent about my father and past'. The other was the Italy/Immortality footage right after the Cobain stuff. I could also throw in the footage of 'crazy' Eddie doing his climbs and jumps during the Porch footage. Great stuff!

Themes that I would've liked to have more info on are: 1) Transition of power between Stone/Ed. There were a couple of sentences between Mike and Stone but there could've been so much more for that time period. 2) An official stance on the drummer situations. I realize that's tough because there was a lot of personal stuff going on but it's never really addressed and I guess won't ever be. 3) How they have adapted to write music these days when their attitudes/beliefs/behaviors are so different from what they used to be. A lot of the film was based about how they were viewed with their young/angst/complaints, but now that they have grown out of that period I'd love to hear about how they continue to try and write music that can meet the 'standards' they've set yet be in touch with their current state. Or maybe they don't try to meet those standards...which is ok, I'm just saying I think that would've been a good avenue for discussion. Or maybe that's part of PJ20-PJ40! :)

Overall, a great film. I left thinking it was better than I expected. Super!
  • Options
    Pure Awesomeness!!

I would have loved to see more on Dave A and Jack Irons. Also more footage of No Code and Yield would be nice. Some things were glossed over, but they did go into depth about alot of things and I enjoyed every minute.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    "Do you think the carpetpissers did this?" - The Dude
  • Options
    I was at the late show in Detroit (Royal Oak) and I thought the movie was simply incredible..

I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more (thanx Stone) and I cried yet again..

I knew the movie was going to be great, but I left the theatre somehow more in love with this band?? Is that even possible??

Their music has done so much for me. From inspiring me to play at a young age, from influencing (to a degree) my outlook on life and what is possible, to truly helping me through some of the darkest points of my life and becoming the soundtrack for some of the greatest moments of my life..

This band, this thing that we all connect to is nothing short of magic.. and the ride that is taken with this movie, was nothing short of that...

pure magic...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    In the words of Jeff Ament... "Pure Stoke".
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    I wish there was a second part, enjoyed it so much, and left with feeling there should be more. Seeing the band on the big screen was awesome. DVDs cannot arrive fast enough, I want to rewatch it, and also see the rest. Thanks PJ, Crowe.
  • Options
    JasonTeckJasonTeck St. Louis, MO Posts: 179
    edited September 2011
    Such an awesome flick...and trip down memory lane!!!

I have been with the band since Lollapalooza '92, however I really went for Ministry & The Chili Peppers. I was so glad that they gave some screen time to Eddie climbing into the rafters...that is what caught my attention that day in July 1992!!! I remember stopping in my tracks and just thinking holy shit...this band is the greatest. I have been with them ever since...so it was so freaking awesome to relive that moment tonight.

I thought the movie was so great and I really loved the moment that he got pissed and was singing so angrily at the security guy!!! My other two favorite moments were the Singles promo party...so freaking hilarious and the Crown of Thorns moment at the 10 Year anniversary was so great!

I think the only thing I think that would have made the movie perfect was a little more focus on the fans. The poster fanatics, the fans who have been with the fan club since day one...stuff like that! Because the band is the best and they have the best fans hands down!!!

Cameron Crowe gets an A+++++++++++++++++++ in my book!
    Post edited by JasonTeck on
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • Options
    I went to the Birmingham, UK showing at Star City; It was incredible. The movie was great, a lovely little insight into the years of work, emotion, laughs & turmoil of a ground breaking band.

It perfectly encapsulated how I feel about the band, the community, the music, the shows... it was goddamn perfect :mrgreen:

Well done Mr Crowe :clap::mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    I loved the whole thing, start to finish. I had goosebumps more than once.

I understand that some people wanted to see more of the most recent decade of PJ, but the fact is, the most recent decade has been relatively stable for the band, and would make a less-interesting documentary.

It's clear also that they want to keep the drummer issue at arm's length, which I guess is okay.
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    PJ212 wrote:
    In the words of Jeff Ament... "Pure Stoke".

Loved that part :)

Must admit - I have much love for the drummers - but i don't get why people feel there needs to be more time dedicated to explaining everything? Just move on - obviously they have. I think more than anything the film is a celebration of the band's ability to ride the waves and still be standing on their boards 20 years after they first paddled out. Some people expect too much of this band sometimes I believe. They already give us so much. It's why many bands build up walls and hold back on things because the more you open up to your fans the more they want from you. I'm grateful we get as much as we are given. They don't owe me anything more than what they already have given. It's all icing on the cake at the moment. Great film. Very energizing.
  • Options
    Ok, so just got home from the Scottsdale, AZ showing. I originally had tix for Tucson, as that was the only theater showing it within driving distance (1 1/2 hours away), but then I got an email for the IPIC theater in Scottsdale regarding an 8:00 showing. It is a great theater that serves beer/wine/cocktails, and they eventually added at least 6 more screenings b/c the 8:00 sold out. Awesome venue.

As for the movie, thank you Cameron Crowe. I recall seeing Singles in the theater back in the day and enjoying it, yet, I have always thought it was the best soundtrack ever. Then, Cameron topped himself with the in-depth look at the Yield album (Single Video Theory), which may explain some of that album's absence b/c hardcore fans surely have that album - although I missed it as well. As a huge Almost Famous fan, Cameron Crowe has even topped his greatest MOVIES. This was the best theater experience I have had in a decade, and I was a film minor at USC.

The footage he was able to put together and the editing is amazing. PJ has been the soundtrack to my life, as Ten peaked my interest in middle school, I stuck with No Code/Yield through college when most bailed, and my love for this band has grown bigger by the year, including Man of the Hour almost single-handedly getting through my father's suicide. Cameron Crowe just "gets it" with this band, and we are lucky for him to be able to communicate to the masses what we hardcore fans already know. While my favorite album has migrated to No Code, these albums have to grow on you. It is a really uneven studio album at first listen (i.e. Sometimes to Hail Hail to Who You Are is a strange transition) - having said that, these three are GEMS if you are reading this forum. The beauty of the movie is that it will maybe provide some incentive for fans of the early days to discover what the fans that stuck with them already knew - this band has simply aged better than wine.

Thank you PJ and Cameron Crowe - I cannot wait until PJ30
    Adampharris
    1992: Phoenix, Desert Sky Pavilion
    1998: RFK Stadium -- Tibetan Freedom
    1998: Great Western Forum I
    2000: Greek Theater
    2006: Great Western Forum I
    2008: The Wiltern (EV SOLO)
    2008: VH1 The Who Tribute
    2009: LA I, LA III, SD
  • Options
    Saw last night in a sold-out theatre in Jakarta, Indonesia.

I guess our attendance could be divided into 3 groups.

1) Die-hard Pearl Jam fans who literally know everything on PJ-history. I know that they won't be satisfied (or stop) with theatrical cut as it missed some details (esp in middle era), and the way that Cameron told the story (kinda more focus on "general interest" such as Kurt Cobain, Ticketmaster, rather than philosophical as we all die-hard wanted it).
    2) Casual fans who apparently follow Pearl Jam in their youth but barely heard anything from 2000s. I guess this film is more for them (and for us: the DVD). It's video-laden on their curiosity about stuff they read back then like Kurt dancing, Ticketmaster, Grammy.
    3) Simply cinema-lovers who passionate and curious about Cameron Crowe.
    Five, five...five against who?
  • Options
    Its like Alpine was a personal justification for me; the shows and experiences I had on that trip convinced me that I'm not as crazy and childish as everyone in my life thinks I am for dedicating so much time and money to this band....and now someone has told the story of 'why?'. I've already answered that question with "watch Pearl Jam Twenty", and will again many, many times, I'm sure..........thanks PJ, and Cameron Crowe :)
  • Options
    Was in awe...Cameron Crowe is a great filmmaker. So great hearing from Stone. I feel so fortunate to have the body of work these guys have created to lean on and exploit for my own personal well being. Great stuff. I wish it just would have kept on going. Great movie. Great fucking movie.
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • Options
    Aga81Aga81 Posts: 808
    What to say what wasn't said already. I am so happy to see the movie. It was like time mashine... I was moved back to my teens when for the first time I saw and heard PJ on TV. I love the way the movie was done... well maybe that's just because I love PJ so much :). But the truth is I have to watch the movie once again (at leaat) cuz I probably missed some things :). I wish I haven't seen my band live but lucky enough to meet some nice ppl here.
    Some may ask, "Why act now? Why not wait? - The answer is clear. The world could wait no longer

04.07.2012 ~ Berlin
    31.07.2012 ~ London