A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    BTW:
    I love GoT, but either I was drunk (...sorta) or that last ep was the most boring episode of the entire series. Wow, way for NOTHING to happen.
    Ned gets whacked in the last episode, the families are on edge...and 2% of the show is based off of the conflict at hand?!?!?!

:?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    mca47 wrote:
    BTW:
    I love GoT, but either I was drunk (...sorta) or that last ep was the most boring episode of the entire series. Wow, way for NOTHING to happen.
    Ned gets whacked in the last episode, the families are on edge...and 2% of the show is based off of the conflict at hand?!?!?!

The first dragons being born in 300 years is nothing?? :?

Just kidding i know what you mean. For me the end epic moment of the first book was Rob being crowned King of the North. That was awesome when i read it like a rallying cry its time to go kick som lannister ass, but it all goes down in the next book.
    The last episode is kind of a epilogue of sorts we get the main characters ready for the next season. Jon is headed out beyond the wall to find out more about the wildlings and the white walkers
    Arya is in a very dangerous position traveling with some harsh folks
    Rob is brining the fight to the lannisters and has crowned himself King of the north
    Sansa is stuck in bed she made and she is finding it to be very uncomfortable.
    Tyrion is headed to kings landing to run shit (so fucking cool)
    and oh Dany has 3 dragons.....

so not a lot of action but a hell of a set up for A Clash of Kings aka Season 2
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    intodeep wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    BTW:

Just kidding i know what you mean. For me the end epic moment of the first book was Rob being crowned King of the North. That was awesome when i read it like a rallying cry its time to go kick som lannister ass, but it all goes down in the next book.
    The last episode is kind of a epilogue of sorts we get the main characters ready for the next season. Jon is headed out beyond the wall to find out more about the wildlings and the white walkers
    Rob is brining the fight to the lannisters and has crowned himself King of the north

Exactly what I thought. Not a lot of action battle wise, but everyone is positioned for next season. It sucks when there is just one cliffhanger to end a season, but all the story lines were given one. I am finally starting to read book one this week, can't wait to see how it plays out.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i hope the Imp ends up on the throne.
    He is pretty damn close as Hand of the King now :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Not bad for a season finale. Sets the stage for a lot of awesomeness in season two (A Clash Of Kings). Since they have spent a good deal of time with character development this season I hope they have some great battle scenes lined up.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    all of my favorite characters didn't make it to season 2.... Ned, Drogo, the king... oh well, i am excited to see what happens with the dothrakis and what happens with tyrion being the hand of the king. that is going to be awesome.

It was weird that both of the stark boys had the same dream that Ned was in the crypt.

I also liked how sam and those others at the wall stopped jon.

i am going to have to get the books now because i do not want to wait a year to find out what happens.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    intodeep wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great episode and certainly left me wanting a lot more, I just thought the previous episode could have easily been the season finale.
    That said, it did allow for almost every main character to show a transition, or a set up for the next season.
    I'm not a patient person, and waiting for next season is going to drive me crazy!! :D
    I completly understand with the whole patience thing
    Speaking of patience.......
    3 weeks to go until Dance with Dragons comes out !!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    all of my favorite characters didn't make it to season 2.... Ned, Drogo, the king... oh well, i am excited to see what happens with the dothrakis and what happens with tyrion being the hand of the king. that is going to be awesome.

It was weird that both of the stark boys had the same dream that Ned was in the crypt.

i am going to have to get the books now because i do not want to wait a year to find out what happens.

Yeah, I am almost done with the fourth book and I learned pretty early on in the series, with the execution of Ned Stark, that you can't get attached to characters. George R.R. Martin really is an amazing storyteller.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

Finished book four today. Different, but solid. Can't wait to read book five in a few weeks.

Thought it was funny how at the end of the book Martin indicated that A Dance With Dragons would be released in a year. That was back in 2005.
    PJ:

jervin007 wrote:
    Finished book four today. Different, but solid. Can't wait to read book five in a few weeks.

Thought it was funny how at the end of the book Martin indicated that A Dance With Dragons would be released in a year. That was back in 2005.
    Some would say it was sadistic..... :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Some would say it was sadistic..... :)

Haha. True. :lol::lol:

A second thread should be started to discuss the books. With the sudden interest in the series more people are going to read them and it might be cool to have a discussion going without spoiling it for those just watching the HBO series.
    PJ:

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Just finished watching the last three episodes :D I have to say that overall I was very impressed with the HBO production. Of course, I still prefer the books ;):D

I'm not one for dissecting or analysing the minutiae of programs that I like, especially while they are in progress. I find that, for me, it really ruins my enjoyment of the show. However, having said that, I did enjoy checking in on this thread to see what everyone had to say. Overall, I get the impression that GoT was an overwhelming success and that not only will most of us be back for season two, but that GRRM's book sales are going to increase exponentially this year :thumbup: :clap:

Now, I'm looking forward to DWD and Boardwalk Empire this summer.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Just finished watching the last three episodes :D I have to say that overall I was very impressed with the HBO production. Of course, I still prefer the books ;):D

I'm not one for dissecting or analysing the minutiae of programs that I like, especially while they are in progress. I find that, for me, it really ruins my enjoyment of the show. However, having said that, I did enjoy checking in on this thread to see what everyone had to say. Overall, I get the impression that GoT was an overwhelming success and that not only will most of us be back for season two, but that GRRM's book sales are going to increase exponentially this year :thumbup: :clap:

Now, I'm looking forward to DWD and Boardwalk Empire this summer.
    Yeah i can't wait to watch this again on DVD or blu ray to be more specific. I bet they wil include a ton of extra stuff that you had access to on HBO Go

We will need a Dance with dragons thread for sure, but its probably gonna take me a while to read it before i can look in the thread :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121

That bummed me out when reading it too. I almost didn't want to read anymore. But, I did. I've made peace with it. :)

On to season 2....a YEAR away@?@??
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    just watched the last episode tonight

Book 1 is sitting on my book shelf pulling me towards it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:

If you have the time you should check it out. Obviously you know the main points of the story but their are a lot of layers the show did not get to touch on (ok maybe a lot is an exageration but their are some) that add depth to the story.

Be aware it is addictive. I read the first 4 books like a madman.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    It might be cool if they released a well done video game related to this book/series. One that could go further into the plot and battle sequences. RPG would probably be the best way to go.
    PJ:

jervin007 wrote:
    It might be cool if they released a well done video game related to this book/series. One that could go further into the plot and battle sequences. RPG would probably be the best way to go.

Or perhaps a "Lord of the Rings Online" kind of game...an MMO.

You can join a certain family, and battle it out vs. the other houses. I'd play it! :D
    I used to play LOTRO all the time back in the day. It was really well done.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    is 1st season ends?read that renew for second ,but that was all in 1st season?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    We were out of town last week so we just watched the finale last night. Loved it. Started reading book one and I can't put it down. We were at a family camp thing and one of the dads there has read all the books so far and says - 1. They're addictive. 2. Don't get attached to any one character. There are lots of surprises. He also smiled and said, "Winter is coming."

The first book is fantastic, I can't wait to read all of them.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Enkidu wrote:
    We were out of town last week so we just watched the finale last night. Loved it. Started reading book one and I can't put it down. We were at a family camp thing and one of the dads there has read all the books so far and says - 1. They're addictive. 2. Don't get attached to any one character. There are lots of surprises. He also smiled and said, "Winter is coming."

The first book is fantastic, I can't wait to read all of them.

Just finished book 3. The dad is absolutely right.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    So I am about 250 pages through the book, anxiously awaiting when I can start watching the show! The book is phenomenal.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    mca47 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great episode and certainly left me wanting a lot more, I just thought the previous episode could have easily been the season finale.
    That said, it did allow for almost every main character to show a transition, or a set up for the next season.
    I'm not a patient person, and waiting for next season is going to drive me crazy!! :D

This happens a lot on HBO shows (The Wire, Sopranos). The penultimate show is where something huge happens and then the last episode is more mellow.
    I finally saw the last episode last night. I enjoyed it. Still working through the third book. I seem to have hit a wall with it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    intodeep wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

If you have the time you should check it out. Obviously you know the main points of the story but their are a lot of layers the show did not get to touch on (ok maybe a lot is an exageration but their are some) that add depth to the story.

Be aware it is addictive. I read the first 4 books like a madman.

I don't think it is an exageration about the extra layers in the book. Dany's transformation is much more fleshed out in the book, as is Sansa and Arya's relationship, and there is much more in depth about Bran in the book. And that's just off the top of my head.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I was afraid reading the first book would be a little boring after seeing the HBO episodes. But I agree - I love reading about all these characters, getting more into their heads. Like - Tyrion's so great, but even better in the books.

I want me a direwolf.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I'm about half way through book one. After watching all of the the first season before starting the book, I find that it is a very easy read knowing who the main characters are already. So far, I agree with a lot of what they had to cut out, which I assume were for budgetary reasons. I do wish the wolves had more time in the show that they had in the book.The book does add a lot of background and more in depth knowledge. But I will say I thought the scenes that were done just for the show were excellent now that I can see which ones were not in the book. And soem of the other little tweeks they did for the show I think were well done. Overall, I feel it has stayed very faithful to the book. Looks like Season 2 starts filming next month.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    rrivers wrote:
    Still working through the third book. I seem to have hit a wall with it.

That happened for me getting through the middle. Then you hit a point where it kicks into high gear and you can't put it down.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    igotid88 wrote:
    I will own this.

It is Known.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18