Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Short interview with George R.R. Martin

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... ?comic-con

Looks like he's got a lot of signings set up around his visit to San Diego. Mysterious Galaxy is an local independent fantasy/mystery/sci-fi bookstore, and they typically have extra signed copies of books when an author visit. So if you are looking for a signed copy, it may be worth contacting them, since he's signing there a week from Sunday.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    intodeep wrote:
    TOMORROW! BIATCHES TOMORROW! :D

:shock: FINALLY!!!!!! Heading to the bookstore very early to get my copy :mrgreen:

For some reason I never got the updates to this thread in email yesterday!

I got it on my Nook. I'm on the third chapter so far. love it! Wish I re-read before hand though. Sorta lost with story lines at the beginning of the chapters.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've read the prologue and the first 4 chapters ( i read slow and can only read at night :oops: ) but so far so good. Seems to be setting some big things up. I can see the second half of this book being insane.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    The show got an Emmy nom for Best Drama series and Peter Dinklage got a well-deserved nom for his role as Tyrion Lannister.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Just picked up the new book. Once I finish The Dark Tower Book III its back to Martin's masterpiece.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    jervin007 wrote:
    Just picked up the new book. Once I finish The Dark Tower Book III its back to Martin's masterpiece.

I'm jumping on this series much later than I did dark tower. But there's a definite parallel in terms of waiting for books to be released. There was some long waits between, but King was releasing so many other books that teased at the 'dark tower' universe that it wasn't so bad to wait.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    The show got an Emmy nom for Best Drama series and Peter Dinklage got a well-deserved nom for his role as Tyrion Lannister.

The first reason in a long time for me to watch the Emmys! Thanks for the info!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    I'm only on page 147 but if anyone wants to chat about the first death in the book you should pm me :D I thought it was pretty bad ass the way Martin wrote it.

edit- oops i meant the second death i forgot abotu the prologue death. I do love how martin kills someone in the prologue every book :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I'm on chapter 6 and without giving a spoiler, I must say I am SO HAPPY to see a saying that has stuck with me throughout Jon Snow's chapters is alive again!! You will understand at the end of his chapter.... :mrgreen:

• Options
    I am about 100 pages through A Dance With Dragons. I must say that I really like it. One thing I was thinking about was how HBO would approach the series when it (hopefully) reaches A Feast For Crows/A Dance With Dragons. Do you think they might try to work with Martin and merge these two in order to not exclude certain characters for an entire season? They were essentially written to be one book anyway, but the content required breaking it into two books instead.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I'm on chapter 6 and without giving a spoiler, I must say I am SO HAPPY to see a saying that has stuck with me throughout Jon Snow's chapters is alive again!! You will understand at the end of his chapter.... :mrgreen:
    :) I noticed that too. I've very much enjoyed jon's chapters thus far

Jervin007- I think i did read in an interview with GRRM that they anticipated merging Feast/Dance for the TV series if the get that far.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    If you are reading this thread adn thinking about reading the books or making your way through the books I'm going to highly suggest checking out the 3 prequel novellas that are the Dunk and Egg series.

they are
    1. The Hedge Knight published in Robert Silverberg's Legend's Anthology
    2. THe Sworn Sword published in Robert Silverbers Legend's II Anthology
    3. The Mystery Knight published in the Anthology Warriors

Each is about 100 pages long and take place 100 years before the beginign of Game of Thrones. Some of the history they cover particularly in The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight comes up again in A Song of Ice and FIre. The Mystery Knight in particular seems to be hitting on some pretty big things that are takign place in A Dance With Dragons as I read it.

so if you are making your way through it might be worth you time to read these as i think it makes the reading experience more fufilling.

I'm on page 218 and have so much to go but so far ADWD is kicking my ass it so far is leaps and bounds better then a feast for crows.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/dunkandegg.html
    At the bottom of the link you can find how to oder each from barnes and nobles if you are interested
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    If you are reading this thread adn thinking about reading the books or making your way through the books I'm going to highly suggest checking out the 3 prequel novellas that are the Dunk and Egg series.

they are
    1. The Hedge Knight published in Robert Silverberg's Legend's Anthology
    2. THe Sworn Sword published in Robert Silverbers Legend's II Anthology
    3. The Mystery Knight published in the Anthology Warriors

Each is about 100 pages long and take place 100 years before the beginign of Game of Thrones. Some of the history they cover particularly in The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight comes up again in A Song of Ice and FIre. The Mystery Knight in particular seems to be hitting on some pretty big things that are takign place in A Dance With Dragons as I read it.

so if you are making your way through it might be worth you time to read these as i think it makes the reading experience more fufilling.

I'm on page 218 and have so much to go but so far ADWD is kicking my ass it so far is leaps and bounds better then a feast for crows.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/dunkandegg.html
    At the bottom of the link you can find how to oder each from barnes and nobles if you are interested

Didn't know these exist. They are now on the list!
    PJ:

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I'm about a 1/3 thorugh book 2 right now and can't wait to see how it translates to HBO next year. Wonder who is going to get cast as Stannis?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I can't recall, is Ygritte in book 2? I would love to see who they cast as her. I would love to see Bryce Dallas Howard in that role.

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    And now I can't remember, does Brienne appear in book two? Oh my God, I love her so much. I'm almost done with book three and the stuff that happens in it - don't worry, no spoilers - I'm reading some of it in front of my husband and he's sick of me saying, "Oh my God, I can't believe that just happened. Did that just happen?"

And can I just say - Beric Dondarrion. Wow.
  • Options
    Yes Brienne is in book two a good bit actually and Ygritte is in book 2 towards the end.

Ygrite is a fav of mine so i'm excited to see her cast too. I think the Bryce Dallas Howard idea would be cool
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Yes Brienne is in book two a good bit actually and Ygritte is in book 2 towards the end.

Ygrite is a fav of mine so i'm excited to see her cast too. I think the Bryce Dallas Howard idea would be cool

Brienne just got introduced where I am at right now. I am also curious how the Iron Islands and the scenes above the wall get done.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Brienne just got introduced where I am at right now. I am also curious how the Iron Islands and the scenes above the wall get done.
    Honestly i have no clue how they are going to afford to do a lot of things. I already have resigned myself to the fact that we won't get any of the big fights :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Honestly i have no clue how they are going to afford to do a lot of things. I already have resigned myself to the fact that we won't get any of the big fights :(

I wouldn't be so sure of that. They need those scenes to make it a success.

• Options
    I think HBO is going to be sinking some more money into the series now with the reception it has gotten. But I think season 1 did OK without the battle scenes.
  • Options
    Some casting news coming down the pipe:
    Melisandre- Carice Van Houten- Played roles in Repo Man and Valkryie
    Stannis Baratheon- Stephene Dillane- played Thomas Jeffernson in John Adams

also it seems GRRM teased who the next anouncement will be and it is likely Oliver Ford Davies wil get the role as Gran Maester Cressen

I'm okay with all. Carice looks great for the role in some picks an soso in others but i bet they wil work it out
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    In case anyone wants a signed copy of Dance with Dragons.

http://signedpage.com/shop/a-dance-with ... -r-martin/
    PJ:

• Options
    jervin007 wrote:

I like getting a signature when I was there to get it. It's awesome to have that experience. His appearances are here:

http://georgerrmartin.com/appearances.html

I hope I can make the los angeles one! I just read he was here in Pasadena in January. I missed that one!

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Lizardjam wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

I like getting a signature when I was there to get it. It's awesome to have that experience. His appearances are here:

http://georgerrmartin.com/appearances.html

I hope I can make the los angeles one! I just read he was here in Pasadena in January. I missed that one!

He's a good friend of a friend of mine (who's also a SF writer) and I met him years ago. I'd love him to sign a book. Or all the books. But I really hope he's hard at work writing 6 and 7.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    He's a good friend of a friend of mine (who's also a SF writer) and I met him years ago. I'd love him to sign a book. Or all the books. But I really hope he's hard at work writing 6 and 7.

Well now that the HBO series is going on he can't slack off.
    PJ:

• Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    [

That would be ideal! I don't think we'll see 6 for at least a couple years.

I hope the HBO series motivates him but he's got the first few books done so they're not going to hound him for anything.

• Options
    A Dance with Dragons is just amazing. Every chapter is worth reading, which can't be said about the other books, and the developing storyline just keeps getting better.
    PJ:

• Options
    FML
    :cry:

Yesterday i was on facebook looking at the comic con thread for the live stream trying to find info about it.

And someone decides to be an absolute asshole. He has finished the book and just blurts out what happens at the end for no other reason then being a dick. There was no discussion he just completly ruined the book for me. I'm devestated.
    I was reading last night and it felt hollow because i know what happens so there is no speculation. Sure i'll read it but man what an absolute prick.

Someone need to find him and flay his penis
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    FML
    :cry:

Yesterday i was on facebook looking at the comic con thread for the live stream trying to find info about it.

And someone decides to be an absolute asshole. He has finished the book and just blurts out what happens at the end for no other reason then being a dick. There was no discussion he just completly ruined the book for me. I'm devestated.
    I was reading last night and it felt hollow because i know what happens so there is no speculation. Sure i'll read it but man what an absolute prick.

Someone need to find him and flay his penis

Wow, that sucks. And with that I am going to avoid all discussion on this book until I finish it.
    PJ: