Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    intodeep wrote:
    FML
    :cry:

Yesterday i was on facebook looking at the comic con thread for the live stream trying to find info about it.

And someone decides to be an absolute asshole. He has finished the book and just blurts out what happens at the end for no other reason then being a dick. There was no discussion he just completly ruined the book for me. I'm devestated.
    I was reading last night and it felt hollow because i know what happens so there is no speculation. Sure i'll read it but man what an absolute prick.

Someone need to find him and flay his penis

That really, really sucks.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    Lizardjam wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    FML

Yesterday i was on facebook looking at the comic con thread for the live stream trying to find info about it.

And someone decides to be an absolute asshole. He has finished the book and just blurts out what happens at the end for no other reason then being a dick. There was no discussion he just completly ruined the book for me. I'm devestated.
    I was reading last night and it felt hollow because i know what happens so there is no speculation. Sure i'll read it but man what an absolute prick.

That really, really sucks.

That does suck, what an ass. I've had to be careful about reading recaps- even on other sites they warn that commentors keep posting spoilers about future books.

I did read a review form comicon about season 2 that looks like it will be awesome. The new characters being brought in, how they are going to fim the battle scenes. And it seems they were still trying to figure out how season 3 would be done as well. Break it up into 2 seasons, or a 15 episode one. Asking Jason Mamoa who would win in a fight, Khal Drogo or Conan.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

That does suck, what an ass. I've had to be careful about reading recaps- even on other sites they warn that commentors keep posting spoilers about future books.

I did read a review form comicon about season 2 that looks like it will be awesome. The new characters being brought in, how they are going to fim the battle scenes. And it seems they were still trying to figure out how season 3 would be done as well. Break it up into 2 seasons, or a 15 episode one. Asking Jason Mamoa who would win in a fight, Khal Drogo or Conan.

Might have to go with Conan on that one. Then again, Khal had some really cool weapons!!!

I do hope they have a season 3 as well. Finally, something worth watching!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    intodeep wrote:
    FML

What a douchebag. Let's find him. Give him a gold crown.

Don't worry, no spoilers here - I finished book 3 last night. I loved it, it might be my favorite of all the books so far. The ending - oh fuck me.

I've heard book 4 is the weakest of the bunch. Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Enkidu wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    FML

What a douchebag. Let's find him. Give him a gold crown.

Don't worry, no spoilers here - I finished book 3 last night. I loved it, it might be my favorite of all the books so far. The ending - oh fuck me.

I've heard book 4 is the weakest of the bunch. Any thoughts on that?
    Storm of Swords was my fav too. As for Feast for Crows it is my least favorite but at the same time it has some intruiging plot points. You get to learn a lot more about Dorne and the Iron Islands in it and you get to see the war from their perspective. Just keep your expectations muted and I think it is fine. I enjoyed it when i read it knowing not to expect antying like Storm of Swords. I think it does not help that it is the book that follows Storm and most seem to find that one to be the strongest of the series so far.

as for the gold crown I'm down with that!

Who would win in a fight between Conan and Drogo is an almighty dorky question. :lol: I love it and now i'll have to think about it lol

pjsteeler fan where did you see that recap of the comic con panel? (nevermind google news search is my friend)
    Loved Jason's answer to the Khal vs Conan he was obviously playing the crowd but it is still cool
    What would happen if Khal Drogo and Conan were put in the same room? Momoa didn’t miss a beat selling out his big screen alter ego on the dime: “Khal Drogo would beat the shit out of Conan.”
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I was on IGN.com. Under the TV section there was a recap of the GOT panel.
    Nevermind- i see you found it
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Been at comic con the last two days (2 more to go). No way i was getting into the Game of Thrones panel. Room was filled hours early with 4000 people waiting outside to try to get in. Did get to see Peter Jackson & Steven Spielberg this morning though, that was a really cool moment.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,946
    jervin007 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    FML

Wow, that sucks. And with that I am going to avoid all discussion on this book until I finish it.

Man, I feel so bad for you :( I absolutely hate spoilers :x I can't believe that someone would be so inconsiderate :twisted:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Been at comic con the last two days (2 more to go). No way i was getting into the Game of Thrones panel. Room was filled hours early with 4000 people waiting outside to try to get in. Did get to see Peter Jackson & Steven Spielberg this morning though, that was a really cool moment.
    that sucks!

Seeing Peter Jackson (and spielberg) makes up for it though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Page 524

Loving the action in the North and the Wall..... The Far east not as much.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Just finished it. Great read.

Now the waiting will drive me mad for sure!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    I'm just finishing book two. All I can say, is I hope HBO gives the Blackwater episode the funding it deserves.
  • Options
    jervin007 wrote:

I'm trying to read slowly. I don't want to be where you are yet!!

• Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Lizardjam wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Same here...I remember having to wait anxiously for the Dark Tower books, I just can't go through that again! I literally have to force myself to put the book down every night!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Same here...I remember having to wait anxiously for the Dark Tower books, I just can't go through that again! I literally have to force myself to put the book down every night!

There reached a point when I just couldn't put it down.

Fortunately I was reading the Dark Tower series when A Dance With Dragons came out. Nice break from Stephen King, now back to the tower. I'll be starting Wizard and Glass this weekend.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

I wish i could say i was pacing myself but really i just read slow and only read in the evenings576 now i heard the book takes off the last couple hundred pages ... I hope it does because some of the plot lines seem a little slow paced now

Can't wait to finish and talk about it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I'm just finishing book two. All I can say, is I hope HBO gives the Blackwater episode the funding it deserves.
    GRRM is writing that episode and they asked him about that at comic con and he took his hat off and said We are taking donations......

:?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    GRRM is writing that episode and they asked him about that at comic con and he took his hat off and said We are taking donations......

:?

yeah, I remember him saying that. But I have faith based on what they did in season 1 that it will work out.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I wish i could say i was pacing myself but really i just read slow and only read in the evenings576 now i heard the book takes off the last couple hundred pages ... I hope it does because some of the plot lines seem a little slow paced now

I think if I had the time like I did when reading the others I'd be done. As it is I only have time to read at lunch, and I also run errands at lunch so it's been slow going. Last time I read everywhere I went, and work was slooooow so I read at work too. I want to read more....but i don't want it to end!

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I think if I had the time like I did when reading the others I'd be done. As it is I only have time to read at lunch, and I also run errands at lunch so it's been slow going. Last time I read everywhere I went, and work was slooooow so I read at work too. I want to read more....but i don't want it to end!

I know the addiction. I take my book with me as i drive around on sales cals if i have 20 minutes between meetings and nothing to do i' read my book.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I know the addiction. I take my book with me as i drive around on sales cals if i have 20 minutes between meetings and nothing to do i' read my book.

When I was in college I was always reading. Before class, until they called roll..on break. I wasn't(am not) particularly social. I had book covers on them too so people wouldn't bother me about the title. I remember carrying around all three lord of the rings books(in one volume) and some friends would think I was just weird!

Now that I have the Nook...well, I can use the app on the Ipod, the Nook, The PC...makes it easy to read absolutely anywhere. Sometimes I wish I had all of the Song of Ice and Fire books in physical copies but I love having them all on the Nook too. They take up no shelf space!

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

When I was in college I was always reading. Before class, until they called roll..on break. I wasn't(am not) particularly social. I had book covers on them too so people wouldn't bother me about the title. I remember carrying around all three lord of the rings books(in one volume) and some friends would think I was just weird!

Now that I have the Nook...well, I can use the app on the Ipod, the Nook, The PC...makes it easy to read absolutely anywhere. Sometimes I wish I had all of the Song of Ice and Fire books in physical copies but I love having them all on the Nook too. They take up no shelf space!
    That is cool. i loved LotR but have not read the books in a while. I shouldgo back and read them sometime. I watch the movies once a year. Just got the blu rays :D
    I need a nook.
    Do you get a page with maps on the nook?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

That is cool. i loved LotR but have not read the books in a while. I shouldgo back and read them sometime. I watch the movies once a year. Just got the blu rays :D
    I need a nook.
    Do you get a page with maps on the nook?

Yep! There are pages with maps, though, my nook is not the color. I'm sure they look very cool on the color version. I really want to get all the lotr movies on blue ray! I will definitely be buying Game Of Thrones when it's out on dvd. I read that they won't have too many extra scenes(maybe read it in this thread?) because they put most all of what they shot in but, it would still be fun to have it and hopefully there are still a lot of good extras!

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    My sci fi writer friend posted a picture of himself with GRRM from Comic-Con on Facebook last night. I was so jealous.

I think I'll start book 4 tomorrow. Can't wait. And I love the maps, I find myself flipping to them all the time. I like the title sequence of the show, too. And I can't wait to buy the show on DVD too.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Finished Dance With Dragons yesterday (whew!). Pretty much ripped through all 5 books in a row.

Now to start re-reading! Knowing where things end up, it's a different experience to re-read and note the foreshadowing (and guess as to what's coming up next).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Finished Dance With Dragons yesterday (whew!). Pretty much ripped through all 5 books in a row.

Now to start re-reading! Knowing where things end up, it's a different experience to re-read and note the foreshadowing (and guess as to what's coming up next).

That is awesome i still have about 300 pages to go. I'm excited to be done so i can start talking about it :)

That is what i loved about the TV show was watching it and seeing all the little forshadowing things they do. You don't ever want to be the person on the TV show that says "we'll talk about (fill in the blank) when i return"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    jervin007 wrote:

Fortunately I was reading the Dark Tower series when A Dance With Dragons came out. Nice break from Stephen King, now back to the tower. I'll be starting Wizard and Glass this weekend.

Nice that's one of my faves, you're going to love it!

I'm just about to finally finish Game of Thrones (book 1) and I can pretty much already say that this is going to be my favorite reading series. The way the characters are fleshed out, the doom of winter coming, the promise of supernatural beings, and Martin's willingness to kill off whoever the heck he wants makes this just GOLD.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Nice that's one of my faves, you're going to love it!

I'm just about to finally finish Game of Thrones (book 1) and I can pretty much already say that this is going to be my favorite reading series. The way the characters are fleshed out, the doom of winter coming, the promise of supernatural beings, and Martin's willingness to kill off whoever the heck he wants makes this just GOLD.

Nice. I am about to start it up this afternoon. I have heard good things about Wizard and Glass. Hopefully things pick up a bit in this book. Don't get me wrong the first three books are solid, but this one could definitely afford to kick it up a notch.

The Game of Thrones books are fantastic. Martin is great at developing characters and the plot, as well as creating shocking plot twists. Enjoy the journey! :D
    PJ:

• Options
    Took me about a month but I finally finished dance with dragons. I unfortunately was mostly underwhelmed :( but I am excited for winds of winter!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I'm lagging so I'm only about 250 pages into it but I'm still loving it!