A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Damn you people!

I just finished A Clash of Kings last night.... And I decided I'm going to finish watching season 2 of Boardwalk Empire and re-watch season 1 of Game of Thrones before I start A Storm of Swords...

I'm going to need to take a week of sick leave to catch up... damn it!

You might want to start Storm of Swords STAT. Best book I've ever read!!!

Yeah it is definitely one of the best books I've read. My wife just finished it and said the same.

I'm working on it... I'm 450 pages in... not putting it down anytime soon... I'm a slow reader and working 10 hours a day doesn't help any...

I took a sick day last week.... but unfortunately it was an honest sick day and I spent most of the time in the bathroom instead of in front of my book, as I had hoped...

well I do have a week on a mexican beach lined up for the end of the month... which reminds me - I need to order a copy of a dance with dragons before i go.... just in case... 8-)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Anyone get the blu ray today? Mine is in the mail but won't be here for about a week :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    intodeep wrote:
    Anyone get the blu ray today? Mine is in the mail but won't be here for about a week :(

Mine will be here tomorrow- Amazon does not screw around
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I didn't buy it - but am kind of regretting it. Are there lots of behind-the scenes stuff on it?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    It has been awhile since i read the other books so it might have been the same then but i'm kinda getting annoyed with adwd. i like the story so far but his writing is getting repetitive. every time a character has to pee he uses the same phrase of shaking off the last drops. after the first time i get the point that characters do this. and like writing a menu for every meal every character eats is a bit much too. his story telling leaves nothing to the imagination, its like a lazy readers book. let the reader use their imagination a little. plus how many times does he have to point out tyrion has a scab for a nose? like once every page? like every last piece of clothing is detailed, its just boring. every time he mentions that style of dress dany wears he reexplains what it looks like, my memory isnt perfect but i remember what i read from the last dany chapter. if i can remember what happened in the last book 7 years ago i can remember what i read 50 pages ago. grrm is becoming a bit tedious i think.

fantastic story, writing is meh. needs to remove the redundancy and id have nothing to complain about but it is really getting on my nerves cause it slows down the story so much.
  • Options
    It has been awhile since i read the other books so it might have been the same then but i'm kinda getting annoyed with adwd. i like the story so far but his writing is getting repetitive. every time a character has to pee he uses the same phrase of shaking off the last drops. after the first time i get the point that characters do this. and like writing a menu for every meal every character eats is a bit much too. his story telling leaves nothing to the imagination, its like a lazy readers book. let the reader use their imagination a little. plus how many times does he have to point out tyrion has a scab for a nose? like once every page? like every last piece of clothing is detailed, its just boring. every time he mentions that style of dress dany wears he reexplains what it looks like, my memory isnt perfect but i remember what i read from the last dany chapter. if i can remember what happened in the last book 7 years ago i can remember what i read 50 pages ago. grrm is becoming a bit tedious i think.

fantastic story, writing is meh. needs to remove the redundancy and id have nothing to complain about but it is really getting on my nerves cause it slows down the story so much.
    A Dance with Dragons needed some serious editing help. Its like now that he has his big time HBO show the editor lost their spine.

I know what you are talking about but the man always had a fetish for describing food that one has been there since the begining :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

same should have it by the 11th!! cant wait since i dont have hbo or whatever airs the show.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I want to get it on blu ray but I'm trying to save money......but man I want it!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    intodeep wrote:
    A Dance with Dragons needed some serious editing help. Its like now that he has his big time HBO show the editor lost their spine.

I know what you are talking about but the man always had a fetish for describing food that one has been there since the begining :)

dude is definitely long-winded ... i find myself skimming a lot of sections because he's spent a paragraph describing someone tunic ...

anyhoo - i've read all the books now and it's time to wait ... fuck ... harry potter didn't take that long ...
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

dude is definitely long-winded ... i find myself skimming a lot of sections because he's spent a paragraph describing someone tunic ...

anyhoo - i've read all the books now and it's time to wait ... fuck ... harry potter didn't take that long ...

Man... if you guys are complaining about Martin, I would not recommend picking up anything by Tolken!

He sometimes commits a page and a 1/2 to describing a branch on a tree!

:P
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    Man... if you guys are complaining about Martin, I would not recommend picking up anything by Tolken!

He sometimes commits a page and a 1/2 to describing a branch on a tree!

:P

well ... i read the hobbit and LOTR ... and honestly, the first few hundred pages of fellowship of the ring was brutal but then it was fine ...

i like these stories but in my opinion - there is a lot of fluff and repetition ...
  • Options
    I remember reading tolkien and being pissed off at all the singing they did :D Haven't read the trilogy in almost 20 years (jesus i'm old) but i watch the DVD's every year at christmas

For those thinking about the blu ray its still on sale you can get it at Best Buy for 35 bucks and Amazon for 35 bucks. (regular dvd is 30)

Not cheap by any means but a decent price if its in your budget.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The latest trailer was pretty cool with the Florence and Machine song Seven Devils.

Thought it was pretty interesting considering one of the scenes in the Trailer is Melesandra burning the Seven God statue's on dragonstone
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Downloaded the first book on Audible and have been listening to it. Really great rendering by the narrator.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options

Downloaded the first book on Audible and have been listening to it. Really great rendering by the narrator.
    My friend listened to them and said the same thing. I foget the guys name but i think he did all the books except for Feast for Crows
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

My friend listened to them and said the same thing. I foget the guys name but i think he did all the books except for Feast for Crows

Good to know I have more to look forward to!

That's the one good thing about coming late to a party like this... so much to look forward to.

:D
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I didn't really notice that. He does have chapters were not a lot happens, but it all leads up to something exciting. I have just accepted no future book will reach the level of the first three and try to enjoy them.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    I was afraid i was crazy for my take on Martin's writing, glad to see i'm not alone here. Must say i enjoy Tolkien, i dont mind heavy descriptions if done right, but Martin repeats the same long descriptions.
  • Options
    love love love this show....

this is why I pay for premium channels...along with most of the shows on Showtime...and East Bound and Down...
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    intodeep wrote:
    I remember reading tolkien and being pissed off at all the singing they did :D Haven't read the trilogy in almost 20 years (jesus i'm old) but i watch the DVD's every year at christmas

For those thinking about the blu ray its still on sale you can get it at Best Buy for 35 bucks and Amazon for 35 bucks. (regular dvd is 30)

Not cheap by any means but a decent price if its in your budget.

My brother in law told me last night that he got the blu ray for his birthday and that it has a lot of cool features. That put me over the edge. Picked it up at best buy today. It was nice that it was $.34.99. I saw it at Costco also but for $42.99 but it had some added booklet kind of thing, Best Buy's copy didn't. Any why didn't they make the cool house symbol covers for the blu ray? I would have loved a Stark one! I do like Sean Bean though so a cover with him on it? I can't complain! ;)
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    I played around with the blu ray last night and i like the special features. I like the charactor bio's that each actor does for their charactor.I also really enjoyed the westeros info.
    The clarification on the First Men, Children of the Forest and Andals bringing the 7 over was cool. Also enjoyed seeing the stories of the age of heroes. I am going to have to spend more time wiht it. I love the map that comes with the booklet too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I was afraid i was crazy for my take on Martin's writing, glad to see i'm not alone here. Must say i enjoy Tolkien, i dont mind heavy descriptions if done right, but Martin repeats the same long descriptions.

agreed ... like how many times does he have to repeat "you know nothing, jon snow" or "my name is reek, rhymes with leek" ... :lol:

having said that - i am probably bitter that i started reading these books without knowing that the ending wouldn't be coming for some time ... hahahaha

might have to get the blu ray for the special features!
  • Options
    Just got the blu-ray in the mail over the weekend, plan on having a GoT day watching all the extras and certain episodes leading up to the Season 2 premier!!

Also, got to a certain point in book 4 over the weekend and threw my book at the wall. I'm nervous to pick it up again :evil:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Just got the blu-ray in the mail over the weekend, plan on having a GoT day watching all the extras and certain episodes leading up to the Season 2 premier!!

Also, got to a certain point in book 4 over the weekend and threw my book at the wall. I'm nervous to pick it up again :evil:

must know what part!

:lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

must know what part!

:lol:

pm sent!
  • Options
    Last weekend I wore my House Stark "Winter Is Coming" t-shirt while running the unlost dogs in an agility tournament.

Tessie, the dark dog of undetermined ancestry, is pretty sure she's part Direwolf. The 35-pound variety.
  • Options
    Last weekend I wore my House Stark "Winter Is Coming" t-shirt while running the unlost dogs in an agility tournament.

Tessie, the dark dog of undetermined ancestry, is pretty sure she's part Direwolf. The 35-pound variety.
    That is great!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Newest Trailer for Season 2

http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1220518p1.html
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

I love it!!!!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    polaris_x wrote:
    agreed ... like how many times does he have to repeat "you know nothing, jon snow" or "my name is reek, rhymes with leek" ... :lol:
    [/quote]

I have to agree about the "you know nothing, jon snow". I was twitching when I read the third book because I just knew it would keep coming and coming and coming.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."