The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I LOVE RUSH

They were the first band I was utterly obsessed with at 12,I borrowed my brothers copy of Fly By Night as I liked the Owl on the cover :D

I have never looked back.Their music kept me alive through troubled years,hiding away in my room with their posters on the wall,vinyl on the turntable,studying every nuance of the album covers.

I have only seen then twice though,the first time I cried through most of the set I was so overcome with emotion that I was in the same room with these three amazing musicians and men.

I have read all Neil's book,Ghost Rider helped me travel my own healing road of loss and grief.Beyond the Lighted Stage should be compulsory viewing for music fans,I would defy anyone not wanting to explore Rush's catalogue more after watching it.

I am seeing them live again in less than a month in Glasgow,I get very excited when I think about it.They have been more important to my existence than even Pearl Jam.

BTW Alex has the most killer smile :D ever,I smile every time I see him smile.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    http://www.nealzone.com/scott/rush/rushwallpaper.jpg

http://rushtributes.comxa.com/images/halfworld.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS_sS7RNE ... OLLAGE.jpg

^^^^^^Love this collage of the band RUSH and it's historical significance. :D

rush-on-colbert.jpg

Surprised that more peeps haven't posted their despise of the band RUSH. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

303RushCartoon.jpg

Some images from the Rush Announces their 2010 North American “Time Machine” Tour Thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=128536&hilit=time+machine+tour&start=45

nmslogo.gif

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I LOVE RUSH

They were the first band I was utterly obsessed with at 12,I borrowed my brothers copy of Fly By Night as I liked the Owl on the cover :D

I have never looked back.Their music kept me alive through troubled years,hiding away in my room with their posters on the wall,vinyl on the turntable,studying every nuance of the album covers.

I have only seen then twice though,the first time I cried through most of the set I was so overcome with emotion that I was in the same room with these three amazing musicians and men.

I have read all Neil's book,Ghost Rider helped me travel my own healing road of loss and grief.Beyond the Lighted Stage should be compulsory viewing for music fans,I would defy anyone not wanting to explore Rush's catalogue more after watching it.I am seeing them live again in less than a month in Glasgow,I get very excited when I think about it.They have been more important to my existence than even Pearl Jam.

BTW Alex has the most killer smile :D ever,I smile every time I see him smile.

this is my reason for wanting to hear more from this band
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    2112 is one of the top 5 most important albums in my listening experience.

Signals got me through the 1980's.

There are some jaw dropping soundboards out there that really capture the sonic power of their live show.

Look for titles like "vital dreams" "universe divided" and " great woods and summer skies"...

You won't be disappointed !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Long time fan....but I drifted away with the "Power Windows" LP. Still one of the greatest bands around...the rock-doc was out of this world....I think that one of the band's key to success was never taking itself too seriously.

Any listening suggestions among their post-"Power Windows" work?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Long time fan....but I drifted away with the "Power Windows" LP. Still one of the greatest bands around...the rock-doc was out of this world....I think that one of the band's key to success was never taking itself too seriously.

I did the same after PW until the next album came out in HYF, a very underrated album. Presto and RTB are about the same for me ok. TFE I didn't like and I find it now still difficult to listen to, probably my least listened to album since PW. Counterparts I really liked and the only tour I missed since Grace Under Pressure. I had opening day to my softball team and had to give away my two tickets. :(

My suggestion for an album would be Vapor Trails however the recording completely sucks. WAIT till they issue a remastered version with re mixes of One Little Victory and EARTHSHINE my favorite off the album. I hope this helps and I do know you've been a long time fan. :D

Peace

WHO KNOWS this might just be their last album and last tour from what is said here......I hope not.
    In the new issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog, Geddy Lee discusses the status of Clockwork Angels:

"It's been quite weird because we've never really taken so long and interrupted a writing process so many time,' he states. 'We have about six songs finished and waiting to go into pre-production and then be recorded. We've been kind of afraid to go back to them, because we don't want to start fucking around with them, we liked them at the time...Alex and I tried to do some writing on this break.' Geddy continues. 'We've had three months, so we thought "Okay, so maybe we should get all of the rest of the record finished"...but Neil just had a baby last year and he needed to use that time to be a dad and to be domestic, and he didn't want to uproot and get into this intense writing session, and that was totally cool. So Alex and I have been getting together regularly and jamming, and now we have a lot of good material just lying around in suspended animation...We're going in a conceptual direction on this record, for sure..We started with a 10-minute song idea that then turned into a concept and it's feeding off itself. It's like that question that Steven Colbert asked us in the movie. "Are your songs so long that by the end you're influencing yourself?" I think we're doing that now. We're like a feedback loop, influencing ourselves now. We're spending so much time on this concept. It's been fun, because we haven't gone down that road in a while. Let's see if we can pull it off!'"
    Neil Peart also discusses the frustration in delaying Clockwork Angels to tour:

"'It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can.'...]Although Peart talks about their next album as if it might be their last, thought he never specifically says that, he just sounds like he's reaching some kind of endgame..." -

http://news.2112.net/

Do you think this will be their last hurrah?

Peace

• BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Rush - My other Pearl Jam
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    g under p wrote:
    tybird wrote:

I did the same after PW until the next album came out in HYF, a very underrated album. Presto and RTB are about the same for me ok. TFE I didn't like and I find it now still difficult to listen to, probably my least listened to album since PW. Counterparts I really liked and the only tour I missed since Grace Under Pressure. I had opening day to my softball team and had to give away my two tickets. :(

My suggestion for an album would be Vapor Trails however the recording completely sucks. WAIT till they issue a remastered version with re mixes of One Little Victory and EARTHSHINE my favorite off the album. I hope this helps and I do know you've been a long time fan. :D

Peace

I think Counterparts is the best post-80's place to start. Of course you might want to skip Speed of Love, but that's just me.

btw: I've seen every tour since RTB. Viva la Rush!
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    BinFrog wrote:
    Rush - My other Pearl Jam

LOL! Yep! In 1980 I got two cassettes with my shiny new Walkman, you know, that first one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WalkmanTPS-L2.jpg. Molly Hatchet's Flirting with Disaster and Rush's Moving Pictures. Now Molly was dang good, but I've never seen them live.... In June I will see my 10th and 11th Rush shows!!! 31 years laters! (Yeah, I've almost caught that number of EV shows alone, sigh.)

From the documentary, my fav line was a producer saying something like, "You are one of the original and best Power Rock Trios in the world, and as one of the best Bass Players in the world, what are you doing trapped behind a mountain of synths!!!!" That would be my despise, I could handle the early entry of synths, but they really took over in the 90s ... and I had glommed onto Pearl Jam.

And I despise my selfish feelings as I learned what happened to Neil's family and thinking, "Oh man, that's the end of Rush...." And I LOVE how strong they came back. Vapor Trails just kicked my ass, then that 30th anniversary SummerTime Blues tour and cover tunes album, wore out that new fangled CD thangy in my car!

My favs are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Subdivisions and Vapor Trails. But even through the synth era, I always found a song or two on every album to float my boat. Driven!

There was simply nothing better than Vapor Trails Tour and Alex's, err, Lexrst's rants during La Villa Strangiato! http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/VTtournews.htm (scroll down)
    [sic] happens
    acutejam wrote:
    From the documentary, my fav line was a producer saying something like, "You are one of the original and best Power Rock Trios in the world, and as one of the best Bass Players in the world, what are you doing trapped behind a mountain of synths!!!!" That would be my despise, I could handle the early entry of synths, but they really took over in the 90s ... and I had glommed onto Pearl Jam.

And I despise my selfish feelings as I learned what happened to Neil's family and thinking, "Oh man, that's the end of Rush...." And I LOVE how strong they came back. Vapor Trails just kicked my ass, then that 30th anniversary SummerTime Blues tour and cover tunes album, wore out that new fangled CD thangy in my car!

My favs are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Subdivisions and Vapor Trails. But even through the synth era, I always found a song or two on every album to float my boat. Driven!

There was simply nothing better than Vapor Trails Tour and Alex's, err, Lexrst's rants during La Villa Strangiato! http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/VTtournews.htm (scroll down)

To me the synth era died when Presto came out. The 90's were a return to form. But then again I like the synth era stuff. To me it's Signals through HYF. Aside from a couple of songs in there that I don't love, it's all great.

One of the most emotional concert experiences of my life was seeing the Vapor Trails tour opener in Hartford. It was the first show since everything happened to Neil and the energy in the venue was just astounding. Plus the crazy setlist didn't hurt. Opening with Tom Sawyer was the ultimate "we're baaaaack!", and it was a perfect opener. Nothing else would have made sense.

I've seen them I think 17 times since 1991.
    BinFrog wrote:
    acutejam wrote:

To me the synth era died when Presto came out. The 90's were a return to form. But then again I like the synth era stuff. To me it's Signals through HYF. Aside from a couple of songs in there that I don't love, it's all great.

One of the most emotional concert experiences of my life was seeing the Vapor Trails tour opener in Hartford. It was the first show since everything happened to Neil and the energy in the venue was just astounding. Plus the crazy setlist didn't hurt. Opening with Tom Sawyer was the ultimate "we're baaaaack!", and it was a perfect opener. Nothing else would have made sense.

I've seen them I think 17 times since 1991.

Of 46 shows I've seen since GUP THAT first Vapor Trails Tour of 5 I saw was THE most emotional (I won't say whether or not I shedded a tear and that's NOT supposed to happen at a Rush show) Rush show ever. I risked going out to one the show in Baltimore while the DC Sniper was the fear of the area then. Everybody was telling don't go out there, I said if he's going to get he's going to get me just don't miss. :D

Anyway who ever came up with the idea of playing Tom Sawyer as the opening song was as I've said many times just BRILLIANT! It forced everybody to get to the show EARLY, I got there so early I had my frisbee and we tossed for hours till it was near showtime. :D

Peace

• LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

Ha Ha :lol: Even though the instumental La Villa Strangiato is far better than YYZ especially LIVE. Some fans and most non fans have no clue that LVS is far better especially Alex's solo :D

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Ha Ha :lol: Even though the instumental La Villa Strangiato is far better than YYZ especially LIVE. Some fans and most non fans have no clue that LVS is far better especially Alex's solo :D

Peace

A Lerxst in Wonderland on E...SL is magic.
    BinFrog wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Peace

A Lerxst in Wonderland on E...SL is magic.

My wish today is seeing RUSH in Europe....England to be specific. :D

Peace

• I just saw them in Dublin on the Thursday. Fucking long show. Good though. I taped the whole thing too. I must admit, as I'm not a huge fan, the length of the set pushed my patience a bit. Still, highly entertaining. They certainly have a sense of the absurd!
    The first set was 65 or 70 minutes. The second set was an hour and 45 minutes.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    MONDAY BABY!!!

V: "Oracle: The Dream" amd VI: "Soliloquy"

Are just destroying me right now!
    Brisk. wrote:
    MONDAY BABY!!!

V: "Oracle: The Dream" amd VI: "Soliloquy"

Are just destroying me right now!

The solo in Soliloquy is heart wrenching.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I just saw my boys last night in Glasgow,three rows from the front,off centre Alex's side of the stage.I just stood grinning most of the night.
    Great show,visually,set list,interaction the whole thing.Highlight for me ... Neils drum solo when he went all jazz improv :D and the images represented him as some huge mechanical being with an abundance of horn,saxophone and brass ... stunning :D

I love these guys more than any
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    anybody know anything about this:

http://www.rushcon.org/

first I have heard about it.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    anybody know anything about this:

http://www.rushcon.org/

first I have heard about it.

Yeah, it's been going on for like a decade. Very early on when the idea first came up I was involved with the idea and the people who would eventually go on to form it. I sort of dropped out early on for various reasons, but I am very psyched to see it still go on year after year. I have yet to attend, but I always want to.

• Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Sheffield Set-List
    The Spirit of Radio
    Time Stand Still
    Presto
    Stick It Out
    Workin' Them Angels
    Leave That Thing Alone
    Faithless
    BU2B
    Freewill
    Marathon
    Subdivisions
    Second Set
    Tom Sawyer
    Red Barchetta
    YYZ
    Limelight
    The Camera Eye
    Witch Hunt
    Vital Signs
    Caravan
    Drum Solo
    Closer to the Heart
    2112 Part I: Overture
    2112 Part II: The Temples Of Syrinx
    Far Cry
    Encore
    La Villa Strangiato
    (With Rash style polka beginning)
    Working Man
    (With Reggae style beginning … more)

Rush were my obsession from the first time I saw them in 1978 up until the Grace Under Pressure album in 1984. I fell out of love with them when the keyboards started to dominate their sound and only started listening again when they released Vapour Trails. The Sheffield gig was the first Rush show I had seen since 1983. Highlights for me were the pre Signals songs and I really enjoyed the songs from Snakes & Arrows. The snippet of Cygnus at the end of Working Man gave me the shivers!!
    ^^^^^I'm amazed that they have NOT changed the setlist from the 3 times I've seen them on this TM tour. I've seen them 46 times now and they have all used lazors. I've heard on this European Tour they have NOT used lazors.

This never changing setlists is one drawbacks about RUSH but still they are fun to see in concert.

Now I want this t-shirt....they are not being sold stateside just in Europe I believe....

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g44 ... 5inpub.jpg

They also have the Guiness logo with dates I believe on the back.

Peace

RUSH To Release New Concert DVD In September

May 28, 2011

According to Musictap.net, Concord Records will release a RUSH DVD with an undetermined title on September 27, most likely referring to a live DVD of RUSH's April 15 performance at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

RUSH's Cleveland performance of its "Time Machine" show was filmed as a tribute to the U.S. city that first played the band's music.

Cleveland is remarkable for being one of the very first U.S. cities where RUSH performed, in addition to being the first city to provide American airplay. This also marked RUSH's first live full-length filming on U.S. soil.

The "Time Machine" tour was an evening with RUSH, where the band performed its classics, gave a taste of the future and — for the first time ever — featured the "Moving Pictures" album live in its entirety.

RUSH bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee recently spoke to The Plain Dealer about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's upcoming 20th studio album, "Clockwork Angels", for which a release date has not yet been set.

"We've got about seven songs written," Lee said. He added, "When you hear the first two songs , which we're playing live now, they definitely have a heavier sound. It's the heavier side of RUSH in the early going. But when I think of all the songs that we've written already, there's quite a lot of diversity there. I think — I hope — RUSH fans will like it. We're certainly going to work hard to make it a great record, as we always try."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=158747

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll21 ... 051048.jpg

Peace

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I neither love nor despise them, I'm sort of indifferent to them. They are VERY talented musicians, but their sound is kind of cheesy, and pretty dated. To me at least. Had I been a teenager in the 70's I might like them a little bit more, but since I wasn't they often sound cartoonish to me. I like them enough to have bought Chronicles, but not enough to buy any studio album or listen to Chronicles all that often. I have to be in the right mood to handle Rush, and since there is no telling when that mood might strike I would probably never buy tickets, because there is a good chance I wouldn't be feeling Rush-y that night.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    They did Camera Eye, Jacob's Ladder and The Pass. If they only did those and nothing else, I's love them. But then there's all that other great stuff that they did which is amazing. They're great!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river