Project #10 - The Ascending Road Ahead: No Code Live

Comments

• myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Listening to Hail Hail. There's something I really like in the current version. Something in the vocals and the emotion which is exactly what I expect from this song. I reckon the SQ is not the best there is. And that could be a problem in the overall flow of the compilation.
    I'm listening to some more versions with hopes to find the same 'something'. :|
  • myra wrote:
    Listening to Hail Hail. There's something I really like in the current version. Something in the vocals and the emotion which is exactly what I expect from this song. I reckon the SQ is not the best there is. And that could be a problem in the overall flow of the compilation.

I agree, I think the version of Hail Hail that we have already got is great.
    I'm just listening to others simply for enjoyment and curiosity
    Have you listened to the North Charleston one?

North Charleston and the New York boots are of good quality, Hartford, the Civic Centre, Savage Theatre, Le Zenith, - they all sound great to my ears, especially songs like Hail Hail, Habit - the mix is good
    Better than Berlin, but maybe it's just me.
    myra wrote:

I agree, I think the version of Hail Hail that we have already got is great.
    I'm just listening to others simply for enjoyment and curiosity
    Have you listened to the North Charleston one?

North Charleston and the New York boots are very good quality IMO, the sound is clear, Ed's voice is strong but the rest of the band still sound great

Yeah, heard the Charleston one. I would put it on the same side as the Hartford one. Better SQ that's for sure, but a very different feeling, more 'straightforward'. San Sebastian has yet another feeling too, I sort of like this one. This song is complex in the emotion it delivers. The SQ issue just gets in the way ! :x
  • Cameron4president, Myra, Tremors, and Electricxlovex: Greetings from North of Boston . . . Looks like the new project is coming together nicely . . . thanks again for your efforts and allowing us different ways to enjoy our beloved band. 8-)

Seems like the source material is a bit sparse on this one . . . but the versions you guys have mentioned, and the all-ready penciled in versions, seem to work. I dont have much for suggestions on this one :oops: As Dan eluded to in the thread somewhere, there are not many covers/improvs on this tour, its to bad. Can anything off of Vedder's solo appearance in Rome at the end of the tour fit? Haven't listened to that in years . . .

Keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you!
    :ugeek:
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • robthepjfanrobthepjfan Posts: 647
    IN MY TREE - BUFFALO 96 hands down!
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Rough Draft Set. Thanks to the 5 or 6 people that contributed. :eh:

Project #10 - "Pearl Jam - The Ascending Road Ahead: No Code Live" **Rough Draft**

Track List:

Sometimes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Hail, Hail - Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    Who You Are - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    In My Tree - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Smile - Hamburg, Germany (November 4, 1996)
    Off He Goes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Habit - Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    Red Mosquito - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Lukin - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Present Tense - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Mankind - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    I'm Open - Barcelona, Spain (November 21, 1996)
    Around The Bend - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 20, 1996)
    Improv - Charleston, South Carolina (October 5, 1996)
    Roadhouse Blues Improv - Paris, France (November 7, 1996)
    Leaving Here - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)

Right!! Have to do some driving for work today, so have just downloaded all the rough draft and burning a CD to accompany my journey. I will have a good listen on the road, and when I come back here I will definitely have something to say.....! But I may be a bit of time!

Thanks for the hard work peeps
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • IN MY TREE - BUFFALO 96 hands down!

I LOVE that version! :D How could I forget about it?
    Great version
    Cameron4president, Myra, Tremors, and Electricxlovex: Greetings from North of Boston . . . Looks like the new project is coming together nicely . . . thanks again for your efforts and allowing us different ways to enjoy our beloved band. 8-)

Seems like the source material is a bit sparse on this one . . . but the versions you guys have mentioned, and the all-ready penciled in versions, seem to work. I dont have much for suggestions on this one :oops: As Dan eluded to in the thread somewhere, there are not many covers/improvs on this tour, its to bad. Can anything off of Vedder's solo appearance in Rome at the end of the tour fit? Haven't listened to that in years . . .

Keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you!
    :ugeek:

thank you very much :)
    Just clocking in from my blackberry after my drive. I got as far as the end of present tense, will listen to the rest on the way back.

Overall I like it a lot - had a fair few 'no code' moments as the sun was shing through the trees.

Highlights for me were sometimes, off he goes, present tense and red mosquito - which is probably my favourite song from one of my favourite albums - one of my all time fave pj - I don't know what you guys were banging on about earlier comparing it to 'half full'!! *shock* you need your heads examining!!

I agree with you, habit is a little flat. Lukin did it for me, despite being low volume.

Who you are seemed ok. I have listened to that bootleg a lot, ed says 'I am a donut' - referencing jfk who said in berlin 'ich bin ein berliner' which literally translates as 'I am a donut'

The only thing I struggled with a little was the sound of edks voice on a few numbers, a bit grating. I had to adjust after being spoiled by official bootlegs on the last project, so I understand the tone is not going to be perfect.

I didn't enjoy this 'hail hail' (sorry myra!) I think the exact thing you liked in the vocals was what was grating for me, I didn't really enjoy or get into this one as a result, found it a bit off putting. But I am quite conservative as you know! I'm prepared to be outvoted and it might sound better on headphones.

Ok, gotta go into a meeting. Gonna press send without checking, so forgive any errors or typos. Should be back online later this evening (uk) having listened to the whole thing.

Thanks guys!!

• tremors wrote:
    Just clocking in from my blackberry after my drive. I got as far as the end of present tense, will listen to the rest on the way back.

Overall I like it a lot - had a fair few 'no code' moments as the sun was shing through the trees.

Highlights for me were sometimes, off he goes, present tense and red mosquito - which is probably my favourite song from one of my favourite albums - one of my all time fave pj - I don't know what you guys were banging on about earlier comparing it to 'half full'!! *shock* you need your heads examining!!

I agree with you, habit is a little flat. Lukin did it for me, despite being low volume.

Who you are seemed ok. I have listened to that bootleg a lot, ed says 'I am a donut' - referencing jfk who said in berlin 'ich bin ein berliner' which literally translates as 'I am a donut'

The only thing I struggled with a little was the sound of edks voice on a few numbers, a bit grating. I had to adjust after being spoiled by official bootlegs on the last project, so I understand the tone is not going to be perfect.

I didn't enjoy this 'hail hail' (sorry myra!) I think the exact thing you liked in the vocals was what was grating for me, I didn't really enjoy or get into this one as a result, found it a bit off putting. But I am quite conservative as you know! I'm prepared to be outvoted and it might sound better on headphones.

Ok, gotta go into a meeting. Gonna press send without checking, so forgive any errors or typos. Should be back online later this evening (uk) having listened to the whole thing.

Thanks guys!!

nice input tremors, yeah I agree with you about Red Mosquito - love the one we have, Present Tense is beautiful too. They are highlights

I agree about Habit - I had a listen to some others last night and found a couple of better ones IMO
    I think in terms of SQ, there are some quite decent boots out there that we have only 1 or nothing from, so maybe we could look in those. I had some suggestions - will sort through them after I've finished with "I've Got A Feeling" - trying to get a shortlist for you all :)
    tremors wrote:

WISHLIST !!
    I don't know what's worse, E.L. comparing Red Mosquito to Wishlist or you mistaking one for the other. Although I do like Half full. But still. That's blasphemy.
    :x :x
    *get over it myra, it's ok, it's ok, breathe, breathe*
    tremors wrote:

I soooo expected this.
    I feel so misunderstood sometimes.
    :cry:
    As it is, and since I don't think you'll get outvoted on this one I've started listening to the other versions of Hail hail. Some more conventional versions with better SQ available out there. Will report when I'm done (soon, very soon).

You're living up to my expectations Tremors :lol:
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

WISHLIST !!
    I don't know what's worse, E.L. comparing Red Mosquito to Wishlist or you mistaking one for the other. Although I do like Half full. But still. That's blasphemy.
    :x :x
    *get over it myra, it's ok, it's ok, breathe, breathe*
    tremors wrote:

I soooo expected this.
    I feel so misunderstood sometimes.
    :cry:
    As it is, and since I don't think you'll get outvoted on this one I've started listening to the other versions of Hail hail. Some more conventional versions with better SQ available out there. Will report when I'm done (soon, very soon).

You're living up to my expectations Tremors :lol:

Well we did say it wouldn't seem right unless we had at least one proper disagreement. I think this could be Hail Hail!

Sorry about the Wishlist mistake - I couldn't remember the exact conversation. Wishlist is 1000 times better than Half Full, whilst still not being amongst my favourite PJ songs.... Half Full is probably my least favourite PJ, certainly my least favourite Eddie Vedder lyrical 'achievement'!

I listened to the rest of the collcetion on the drive back. Very good!

:shock: Do we really have a 13 minute version of I'm Open!?? Or is it just me?? I couldn't read the whole thread properly before, because my laptop power lead was on the blink - I had a new one delivered today, so I am happier!

I got quite into the 13 minute I'm Open on the drive home - it was very ambient - I almost fell asleep!!

My main beef with this collection is with the bonus tracks. Bear with me - I might be a bit harsh, though I'l; try not to be....

The improv was good - but following I'm Open and Around the Bend, I was definitely in danger of falling asleep at the wheel! I think things got a little too mellow. I can see us keeping this improv - but maybe putting it in a different place.

Got really into Roadhouse Blues for a second - and then it finished!! Are we really scraping the bottom of the barrel with covers on this tour? I felt a bit cheated...... Is there anything else to choose from?

Leaving Here was great - but we already featured this song on the Who Covers collection - so it didn't really inspire me.

Overall, I thought the covers section let us down a bit. I will try and reread the thread and see what else people have been saying about covers - now that I have Power :thumbup:

Hope I haven't offended anyone with my negativity - I enjoyed the whole collection, but I think we still have a bit of work to do to get is sounding 'GREAT' !! ;)

myra wrote:
    I loved the Roadhouse Blues improv - I think it fits well with the mood, with the title of the project, with everything.
    I liked the Charleston Improv too - even if it was slightly sad
    My only issue with the bonus tracks is - can we have more? Extend it? I'm not sure, feels a bit short. But I understand that there might not be anymore songs to use that aren't already used. I'm not very familiar with a lot of cover songs that PJ does - except a few. So I'm not that great with suggesting some - but are there anymore for 96?

Yeah, I reckon it's sensible that it might feel a bit short. I mean, it must BE short :lol:
    I'm not sure there's too much to add though, that's the thing. Just off the top of my head, I think there was Rocking in the free world (well, that's not really a cover), but it's been used twice already I think. Then there was Hunger Strike. I wonder if there's a regular version out there in 1996. The Berlin version sounded great, but it's a more of a tease really.

I think if we want to keep Roadhouse Blues, we need a few more songs as Bonuses - Roadhouse Blues was kind of fun.... What was the other Improv like? Can we include both Improvs?

Having reread the whole thread more fully now I have a better idea on how some of the decisions were taken! We're a bit short of material aren't we? Though there is some great sounding stuff to be found

What about this Buffalo In My Tree? I hardly noticed In My Tree on the Rough Draft run through - and it is one of my favourite songs. I will do some comparisons of these shortly.... :D

tremors wrote:

Having reread the whole thread more fully now I have a better idea on how some of the decisions were taken! We're a bit short of material aren't we? Though there is some great sounding stuff to be found

Yep. We're having a hard time finding extra covers. I read all the setlists two days ago scouting for some. And, well, you already know what I came up with ... That says it all, I guess. I really really wish I overlooked something. I'm gonna have a closer look in a minute.

The other improv : the SQ was not as good (soundcheck). I like it better, even though, clearly, it has no direction whatsoever. But I'm not sure it'd fit with the mood. At all.

Oh well, it seems we have a bonus section issue. A serious one. I do hope there's something to be found with an ok SQ out there.
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Yep. We're having a hard time finding extra covers. I read all the setlists two days ago scouting for some. And, well, you already know what I came up with ... That says it all, I guess. I really really wish I overlooked something. I'm gonna have a closer look in a minute.

The other improv : the SQ was not as good (soundcheck). I like it better, even though, clearly, it has no direction whatsoever. But I'm not sure it'd fit with the mood. At all.

Oh well, it seems we have a bonus section issue. A serious one. I do hope there's something to be found with an ok SQ out there.

Hope you don't take it personally - my bonus section issues - you usually end up hating me at some point during these projects - had hoped it wouldn't be *quite* so soon! :lol:

Reference my 'unmemorable' In My Tree - the reason I didn't notice it.... was it was MISSING from my fucking CD!! Must have missed that in the burning :lol: :oops:

Oh well - will have a listen to the main In My Tree, and the other suggestion to compare. Tried to do a comparison but found it missing. Hahaha

Hail hail :

Since basically, Seattle has to go (I totally understand why though, SQ-wise), I tried to look for another one.

We could go for Hartford or Charleston. Even though the SQ is much better, I don't like their 'mood', too straightforward, or angry almost. Really not what I was looking for. But I'd understand if that's what we're looking for.

I really liked San Sebastian. But the SQ is not ok. So basically, we'd go for another Seattle with this one - waste of time, we'd get rid of it almost instantly.

Hartford/Charleston and San Sebastian/Seattle would be the two extremities of the spectrum.

In between, I found that the following sort of matched the emotion I was looking for : Hamburg, Toledo and Columbia. I'm not so keen on the ending of Columbia. So that left me with Hamburg and Toledo, with my vote clearly going for Hamburg.
    myra wrote:
    Hail hail :

Since basically, Seattle has to go (I totally understand why though, SQ-wise), I tried to look for another one.

We could go for Hartford or Charleston. Even though the SQ is much better, I don't like their 'mood', too straightforward, or angry almost. Really not what I was looking for. But I'd understand if that's what we're looking for.

I really liked San Sebastian. But the SQ is not ok. So basically, we'd go for another Seattle with this one - waste of time, we'd get rid of it almost instantly.

Hartford/Charleston and San Sebastian/Seattle would be the two extremities of the spectrum.

In between, I found that the following sort of matched the emotion I was looking for : Hamburg, Toledo and Columbia. I'm not so keen on the ending of Columbia. So that left me with Hamburg and Toledo, with my vote clearly going for Hamburg.

Y'know - I listened again the Seattle Hail Hail, and enjoyed it more the second time. In its favour - the vocals are quite different from on the record, and change the mood and with these projects some of the highlights have turned out to be live versions that deliver something different, and other times just a killer live version. I think I have a tendency to prefer a 'killer live version' when listening through like an 'album' - but that does leave me a bit of a boring old ****ker in a way.

So if you still prefer Seattle over Hamburg, it would be a shame to lose the difference in the edge to it, just because I didn't like it too much. I will try and listen to Seattle vs Hamburg as well - I'm about to have a 'comparison' session!

tremors wrote:
    Hope you don't take it personally - my bonus section issues - you usually end up hating me at some point during these projects - had hoped it wouldn't be *quite* so soon! :lol:

:lol::lol:
    I sure don't (take it personally - not the part about me hating you at some point and rather sooner than later :mrgreen: I'd be way more concerned if you agreed with me, which you did -once- and that was my cue to start questioning my own selections ;) ).

I mean, it was obvious we had an issue with the bonus section anyway.
  • I agree about the bonus section - definitely needs a bit of a boost. I really hope we can find something - we can always add a killer version of another cover couldn't we? Even if it has been used before?
    I like what we have but maybe adding some more if possible? I love the Leaving Here that we have, it's great

Also, I still think that Habit needs to be revised and a new one found. I love love love the song and I don't know...ours is a bit...lacking?

In My Tree? Are we thinking about changing that one? Someone suggested Buffalo, which I love - I used to listen to that one a while ago. Completely forgot about it when it was suggestion time.

I feel we can use more bootlegs than we are at the minute, there are some bootlegs which have certain songs of pretty good quality. I'll have to spend some more time looking for a Habit or In My Tree or whichever else, before I can suggest anything.

also - the half full thing? I love that song - strange, I never used to. But I've been listening to it a lot more since we did the Riot Act (which is probably one of my favourite live projects so far, which is strange because the album is my least favourite PJ album) anyway I like it a lot - much better than I like Wishlist. But I do like Wishlist (before Myra loses it :lol: )
    :cry::cry:
    Can't find anything even remotely relevant for the bonus section.

No complete version of Hunger strike, even though that from Berlin is nice. Longest, if I'm not mistaken, is from Dublin but it's so much of a sing-along that you actually hear the crowd more than anything else. Still fun though.

All versions of Young Man Blues are very very bad in SQ.

There's two Black Red Yellow, one almost inaudible (Hungary, if I recall correctly). The other one is also from a low SQ boot (Portugal, Night 1), but not as bad.

And ....

That's it.

Yep.

It sucks.

Somebody please tell me I missed something.
    Wishlist is nice ;)

I compared the Hamburg Hail Hail to the Seattle, and I really liked Hamburg! Good choice - my vote goes to Hamburg.

I also compared the two In My Tree contenders, and I got a lot more from Berlin (existing) - I really enjoyed the performance, and it sounded great - Buffalo I enjoyed the performance, but was let down by the SQ, and I felt it would not stand up well amongst the others we have

My main reason for questioning In My Tree was that I couldn't remember being affected by it - but the reason for that was it wasn't on my CD! :lol: So, I am happy with the current selection of Berlin :D

But I do like Wishlist (before Myra loses it :lol: )

Don't worry about it. I lost all hope for both of you anyway.
    :mrgreen:;)
    tremors wrote:
    Wishlist is nice ;)

I compared the Hamburg Hail Hail to the Seattle, and I really liked Hamburg! Good choice - my vote goes to Hamburg.

I also compared the two In My Tree contenders, and I got a lot more from Berlin (existing) - I really enjoyed the performance, and it sounded great - Buffalo I enjoyed the performance, but was let down by the SQ, and I felt it would not stand up well amongst the others we have

My main reason for questioning In My Tree was that I couldn't remember being affected by it - but the reason for that was it wasn't on my CD! :lol: So, I am happy with the current selection of Berlin :D

Phew.
    *relieved*
    myra wrote:

No complete version of Hunger strike, even though that from Berlin is nice. Longest, if I'm not mistaken, is from Dublin but it's so much of a sing-along that you actually hear the crowd more than anything else. Still fun though.

There's two Black Red Yellow, one almost inaudible (Hungary, if I recall correctly). The other one is also from a low SQ boot (Portugal, Night 1), but not as bad.

And ....

That's it.

Yep.

It sucks.

I believe you.

What to do, what to do??

What about for our last full album project some other PJ numbers which we haven't yet featured on any projects?? B-sides etc??

• Habit Suggestions:

Randall's Island, 29/09/1996 - very clean, tight version. Like the Speaking as the child of a child part :) Sounds great in the outro

Civic Theatre, Augusta 26/09/1996 - Love this one too. A great version - sounds great, the band is very punchy. Ed's voice is great in this one. Outro is great too. One of the highlights amongst all of the other Habits. "speaking as an individual determined to see the year 2000"

North Charleston Coliseum, Charleston 05/10/1996 - Another great one. More grittier and punkier than the others, I like it a lot. "Speaking as an individual in a band who has never been in this town before"

and I had some more but I forgot which ones, so I'll have to have another listen (I should have written it down :x :roll: )
  • tremors wrote:
    :shock: Do we really have a 13 minute version of I'm Open!?? Or is it just me?? I couldn't read the whole thread properly before, because my laptop power lead was on the blink - I had a new one delivered today, so I am happier!

Only the last three minutes or so of I'm Open from soundcheck are going to be used.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:

And ....

That's it.

Yep.

It sucks.

I believe you.

What to do, what to do??

What about for our last full album project some other PJ numbers which we haven't yet featured on any projects?? B-sides etc??

I was looking for all this. everything. anything. (except Footsteps & SOLAT for obvious reasons ;) and Wash because I felt it'd be awkward in a No Code compilation) :cry::cry::cry:
    Habit Suggestions:

Randall's Island, 29/09/1996 - very clean, tight version. Like the Speaking as the child of a child part :) Sounds great in the outro

Civic Theatre, Augusta 26/09/1996 - Love this one too. A great version - sounds great, the band is very punchy. Ed's voice is great in this one. Outro is great too. One of the highlights amongst all of the other Habits. "speaking as an individual determined to see the year 2000"

North Charleston Coliseum, Charleston 05/10/1996 - Another great one. More grittier and punkier than the others, I like it a lot. "Speaking as an individual in a band who has never been in this town before"

and I had some more but I forgot which ones, so I'll have to have another listen (I should have written it down :x :roll: )

Myra takes notes. You'll have to try harder if you want to beat her! ;)

Do you have a final vote on Habit?

I also notice The Immigrant Song in your sig :thumbup:

tremors wrote:

Only the last three minutes or so of I'm Open from soundcheck are going to be used.

Figures! I had worked out something like this from reading the thread back. When I loaded them up this morning I was not looking at the length etc - then I had a 13 minute I'm Open trip in the middle of my journey! Was pretty cool actually :lol:

• I have noticed that all of you have been listening to the "rough draft' via streaming. This is alright with me, but let me know what changes need to be made to the current 'rough draft' tracklist on the front page before I edit it and piece it together.

Give me a rundown of songs you want changed and I will update the frontpage.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
    I have noticed that all of you have been listening to the "rough draft' via streaming. This is alright with me, but let me know what changes need to be made to the current 'rough draft' tracklist on the front page before I edit it and piece it together.

Give me a rundown of songs you want changed and I will update the frontpage.

I downloaded the whole thing from Pjbootlegs.org

I think the main suggestion so far is to switch Hail Hail from Seattle to Hamburg.

Am I right?