Options

Project #10 - The Ascending Road Ahead: No Code Live

Comments

• Options
    Initial thoughts -
    Hail Hail - I think we have a good one, I liked it - I'm hesitant to go for Letterman because I've listened to (and watched) that one MANY times - it's a great performance (nothing to do with a certain somebody in a suit :oops: :lol: ) I know it off by heart, so keeping clear of that one will introduce a new, possibly unheard previously, version into the mix.
    If we are unhappy with it, I'd suggest getting one that's a bit rockier, grittier perhaps? But I think it's great

Who You Are - I enjoy this one a lot, it's great. The song is one which I rarely listen to live but I really like the mood of it live - will have to start listening to it more

In My Tree - I like this one that we have- but I don't love it which is a problem because it's possibly the best song off the album, one of my favourites.. It's great, the drumming at the beginning is fantastic - I love Jack's style. However, during the song there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm, and Ed mentions how it's a shit version or something. It didn't bother me at first, I still love the song regardless but I don't know...Around that time it kind of irks me and I notice the energy change...Maybe it's just me. I'm being really picky just because I love it - when I love the songs I get OCD about them (like Habit, I've Got A Feeling).

I listened to a couple of others - Civic Theatre, Randall's Island, North Charleston, Toledo could even be added to that list. IMO they all had that bit of energy that I find seems to disappear midway through the current version.

Smile - the merge from the previous song into this isn't pretty -SQ starts off really brash and in your face, however I think it clears up afterwards and the blend into Off He Goes is perfect. That version is great - nothing more to say. It's perfect
    So yeah Smile may need to be changed - but when I had a listen yesterday night nothing popped out. I can have another listen but I think possibly there were only two other versions that were alright and one of them was the already used holiday single I think.

The next songs: Habit, Red Mosquito, Lukin, Present Tense- all great IMO. Don't need to be changed, I like them a lot. Present Tense is great, just intense and powerful

Mankind- This song is alright. I feel quite indifferent about it - I don't dislike it but I don't like it an insane amount either. I feel like it's a fun song and I don't know whether it's just SQ but there seems to be something lacking IMO
    I could have a listen and see if there are any other possible versions - I listened to the Randall's Island show last night and I thought the Mankind on there was cool but I will have another listen and see if I can offer any other suggestions.

I'm Open and Around The Bend are great. I'm Open in particular - very beautiful.

Bonus Section
    Improv - I like it. Not my most favourite improv they've done mind you, but I still think it's nice.
    Roadhouse Blues Improv - great. I love it. Short but sweet - a great follow up to the previous improv.
    Leaving Here is fantastic - follows on really really well. Great energy. I like the combination of the last two songs in the bonus section - they work realllly well.

I think the bonus section is holding up well - Much better than I originally had thought before I listened to the rough draft but after listening to it all - I appreciated it and I like it a lot. It's short but great. The contrast between the two improvs is striking - definitely wakes you up if you got a bit snoozy :lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Initial thoughts of the first draft are this:

-Smile needs to exit stage left 8-)

-Maybe we (I) should consider using Hail, Hail from Letterman. I know that a few of you suggested that and I said "let's try another version', but I was wrong and I miss the Letterman version :cry:

-I am in the minority on this, but I am not too disappointed with the 'bonus' section. I actually like it a lot It is what it is. I am not in favor of going outside of 1996 to solve the 'bonus' section situation. I think that we should see what works in '96 and if that doesn't have any good options then we could just go with one or two bonus tracks.

-One idea for a 'bonus' could be the Jack Irons intro.

We all agree on Smile. It needs to go. I seem to recall there were a few decent alternatives out there. I'll have a look tonight when I'm home.

Hail hail ? Really ? :(

I agree on Smile

I liked our Hail Hail

I can have a listen to some Smiles and suggest some - listening to Backspacer live now - accidentally at first, now I can't turn it off :lol::D
  • Options
    Hail, Hail stays :D

Project #10 - "Pearl Jam - The Ascending Road Ahead: No Code Live" **Version 1**

Track List:

Sometimes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Hail, Hail - Hamburg, Germany (November 4, 1996)
    Who You Are - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    In My Tree - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Smile -
    Off He Goes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Habit - Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996)
    Red Mosquito - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Lukin - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Present Tense - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Mankind - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    I'm Open - Barcelona, Spain (November 21, 1996)
    Around The Bend - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 20, 1996)
    Improv - Charleston, South Carolina (October 5, 1996) ???
    Roadhouse Blues Improv - Paris, France (November 7, 1996)
    Leaving Here - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Haven't had a chance to listen through to the Rough Draft yet, but will be able to do so later tonight.

What I am picking up from today seems to be

The bonus section might prove OK - short and sweet - Cameron4President and electricxlovex like it
    Smile needs to change to a better version
    Hail Hail - the consensus seems to be to stick with Hamburg, but with Letterman also being mentioned.

When I listen through later I will keep an ear out for how well the bonus section and Hail Hail stand up.

I'm sorry - I'm not going to have a chance to listen for a good few hours yet - working pretty hard this week (unusually!). But will pick back up on progress this evening! :D
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    tremors wrote:

that I should give the bonus section another listen ....

because it might stay eventually ....

and I might as well like it then ....

:lol::lol::lol:

You guys .... :roll: ;)
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

that I should give the bonus section another listen ....

because it might stay eventually ....

and I might as well like it then ....

:lol::lol::lol:

You guys .... :roll: ;)

I like it, I think we could possibly add to it but I actually really like it as it stands
    Whilst the first improv is a bit weak in my opinion, the Roadhouse Blues and Leaving Here make up for it. They are great

I only have two issues now with it- In My Tree and Mankind (but I'm actually not that bothered anymore about it, I like it) so really it's just In My Tree
  • Options
    Listened to it again on my iPod

and my opinions are :

-Smile needs to go (if there is another decent version out there)
    -In My Tree isn't working for me :( I have quite high expectations of this song so maybe that's why it just isn't cutting it for me.

-Present Tense is stunning, a beautiful version - Eddie sung "All In Fucking Trip" at the exact same time I said Fuck :lol: Just love this one, gets really intense and powerful
    -I'm Open is very atmospheric, beautiful. I love it too, I'm not too sure whether the last 15 or 20 seconds needs to be cut off - there's a bit of a harsh cut off due to guitars etc. But then it gets really pretty - but I'm still not sure. I'm just being fussy is all :)

everything else is great, Bonus section is great too :) :thumbup:
  • Options
    Listened to it again on my iPod

and my opinions are :

-Smile needs to go (if there is another decent version out there)
    -In My Tree isn't working for me :( I have quite high expectations of this song so maybe that's why it just isn't cutting it for me.

-Present Tense is stunning, a beautiful version - Eddie sung "All In Fucking Trip" at the exact same time I said Fuck :lol: Just love this one, gets really intense and powerful
    -I'm Open is very atmospheric, beautiful. I love it too, I'm not too sure whether the last 15 or 20 seconds needs to be cut off - there's a bit of a harsh cut off due to guitars etc. But then it gets really pretty - but I'm still not sure. I'm just being fussy is all :)

everything else is great, Bonus section is great too :) :thumbup:

I'm liking the In My Tree!

I'm gonna have a listen for some alternative Smiles now

• Options
    DazzlerDazzler Grimsby, UK Posts: 109
    edited April 2011
    Like the overall mood of this rough draft.
    I think the issues raised are all valid.

After listening to a few more versions of In my tree, Berlin is a little flat, but the sound issues prevail on most other boots. But actually, Hartford version has more going on with the guitar effects and I'm really into that version at the moment. Hartford In my Tree anyone?

Alternatives for Smile are scarce, and it wasn't played until near the end of the tour. Is the last show in Portugal Ok for sound? These '96 boots are all sounding the same to me now.

Possibility for extras, but don't really think they're needed:
    Jack's Instrumetal intro form Hartford (although not strictly a 'live' song)
    Patriots! from Augusta 26/09 (this is on the riot Act project, although that version is the re-worked one with Matt Cameron, this version is just Eddie, like the bridge School 92 version)
    Post edited by Dazzler on
  • Options
    I think I've found a better 'Smile'.... Barcelona

I selected mainly from the shows which we have already drawn on in putting together the rough draft, since they seem to be the better sound quality. That narrowed it down a bit, because it wasn't played so often as others. When they play Smile these days Jeff and Stone always swap instruments for the song, and Eddie plays a 'crap harmonica' - so Smile always has a ramshackle feel live - I don't know when they started doing the swapping around - maybe from the beginning, but it sure sounds like it on these versions.

I thought Barcelona starts a bit weak, but really picks up from the second verse onwards. It is a bit chaotic, but fun, and works for me - and I think it is a lot better than our current version.

Have a listen to Barcelona and tell me if you think it's an improvement.

• Options
    Dazzler wrote:
    Like the overall mood of this rough draft.
    I think the issues raised are all valid.

After listening to a few more versions of In my tree, Berlin is a little flat, but the sound issues prevail on most other boots. But actually, Hartford version has more going on with the guitar effects and I'm really into that version at the moment. Hartford In my Tree anyone?

Alternatives for Smile are scarce, and it wasn't played until near the end of the tour. Is the last show in Portugal Ok for sound? These '96 boots are all sounding the same to me now.

Possibility for extras, but don't really think they're needed:
    Jack's Instrumetal intro form Hartford (although not strictly a 'live' song)
    Patriots! from Augusta 26/09 (this is on the riot Act project, although that version is the re-worked one with Matt Cameron, this version is just Eddie, like the bridge School 92 version)

Thanks!

I'll have a listen to the Hartford In My Tree

• Options
    Jeff and Stone swapped instruments for Smile at the very first performance at Wembley.

That Barcelona version is good, and was chosen to be the '96 fanclub record on the back of Olympic Platinum. Do people already have this version?
  • Options
    Dazzler wrote:
    Jeff and Stone swapped instruments for Smile at the very first performance at Wembley.

That Barcelona version is good, and was chosen to be the '96 fanclub record on the back of Olympic Platinum. Do people already have this version?

that's the issue I had when I listened to some other versions of Smile - there was like maybe two other versions that we could use and one has already been used as the fanclub single so there's no point in reusing it.

In My Tree - I thought that Civic Theatre, Randall's Island, North Charleston and even Toledo could be suitable and good replacements. I can't remember Hartford that well so I'll have to listen to that one again.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    tremors wrote:

I selected mainly from the shows which we have already drawn on in putting together the rough draft, since they seem to be the better sound quality. That narrowed it down a bit, because it wasn't played so often as others. When they play Smile these days Jeff and Stone always swap instruments for the song, and Eddie plays a 'crap harmonica' - so Smile always has a ramshackle feel live - I don't know when they started doing the swapping around - maybe from the beginning, but it sure sounds like it on these versions.

I thought Barcelona starts a bit weak, but really picks up from the second verse onwards. It is a bit chaotic, but fun, and works for me - and I think it is a lot better than our current version.

Read my notes from when I was looking for Smile (that ended with me picking the current version, but oh well).
    What's funny is that the three that are underlined on there are Hamburg, Barcelona and Cascais (Portugal).
    I haven't listened to them again (and frankly, don't feel like doing so now, at all).
    What I have written down on there is :
    Barcelona : Harmonica +, SQ low but clear
    Cascais 2: SQ low, slightly better (than Cascais 1), crowd too loud at times.

Don't know if that's any help.

Edit : I have 12 different versions listed on there. So those three apparently were ( or so I thought) the best of the lot.
    Post edited by myra on
  • Options
    Dazzler wrote:

Yes, they probably do - and that is a drawback maybe. I'm not sure we should rule it out though, unless we find another good version.

I just listened to the Hartford In My Tree - I liked it a lot - it definitely has a certain something to it - it is punchier and more 'immediate' than our current version, and has a certain sound that captures the live sound of the era pretty well I think. I think it's an improvement. I'd be interested to hear what electricxlovex makes of this version.....

• Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Read my notes from when I was looking for Smile (that ended with me picking the current version, but oh well).
    What's funny is that the three that are underlined on there are Hamburg, Barcelona and Cascais (Portugal).
    I haven't listened to them again (and frankly, don't feel like doing so now, at all).
    What I have written down on there is :
    Barcelona : Harmonica +, SQ low but clear
    Cascais 2: SQ low, slightly better (than Cascais 1), crowd too loud at times.

Don't know if that's any help.

Edit : I have 12 different versions listed on there. So those three apparently were ( or so I thought) the best of the lot.

Yes, the Barcelona Smile has a low volume compared to the other boots.

I will listen to Cascais 2, given our concerns about the fanclub single part of it

• Options
    Yeah Smile Portugal 2 I like a lot! Louder version, quite energetic, noisy crowd, but good atmosphere - cheering in the middle - 'Portugal, Portugal' chant at the end, which I always like, but we don't need to include. Good high energy cheerful version

I think it's better than Hamburg, and doesn't have the complication of being already known. The SQ is sounding fine through my hi fi speakers - but I've not heard on headphones

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Yeah Smile Portugal 2 I like a lot! Louder version, quite energetic, noisy crowd, but good atmosphere - cheering in the middle - 'Portugal, Portugal' chant at the end, which I always like, but we don't need to include. Good high energy cheerful version

I think it's better than Hamburg, and doesn't have the complication of being already known. The SQ is sounding fine through my hi fi speakers - but I've not heard on headphones

Cool, are we closer to getting a version 1?
    There's a chance i may be able to increase the volume of I'm Open, as I find it's a little quiet compared to the rest of the project.
  • Options
    Dazzler wrote:
    tremors wrote:

There's a chance i may be able to increase the volume of I'm Open, as I find it's a little quiet compared to the rest of the project.

Yeah, Cameron4President has increased the volume of some tracks on certain projects - so we can flag it up for him if necessary. I am yet to have a run through on my headphones - which always gives a very different listening experience. I haven't minded the I'm Open volume so far - probably because it's kind of a 'quiet' song anyway. It might be necessary though.

• Options
    Dazzler wrote:

Yes, I think we're making progress - getting closer! I think the Portugal Smile is a lot better, and I think the Hartford In My Tree is a great contender - would like to see what electricxlovex thinks of Hartford as a choice, since she has had some issues with the In My Tree and listened to quite a few alternatives I think

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Dazzler wrote:

Yes, I think we're making progress - getting closer! I think the Portugal Smile is a lot better, and I think the Hartford In My Tree is a great contender - would like to see what electricxlovex thinks of Hartford as a choice, since she has had some issues with the In My Tree and listened to quite a few alternatives I think

okay, don't hate me...but I'm not too keen on the Hartford "In My Tree" - it starts off alright-ish and it's a solid performance but I don't know... Then again, I'm finding it difficult to compare the 2 that I can't choose between - possibly because I've listened to them so much

I can't choose between Toledo, North Charleston and I'm adding Hartford to that list because I know that two of you guys liked it.

I like all 3, I can't choose :(
  • Options
    okay, Listening to Hartford again
    It sounds better now, I took a bit of a break from listening. SQ is good ish but I still can't choose between North Charleston and Hartford. North Charleston SQ is equally as good IMO
  • Options
    It sounds better now, I took a bit of a break from listening. SQ is good ish but I still can't choose between North Charleston and Hartford. North Charleston SQ is equally as good IMO

Will have a listen to these now before I go sleep

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    Hey love the alternate covers!!! Binaural and Riot Act in particular!!!

After a short break Myra, Tremors, Electricxlovex, and myself thought it was time to tackle the "No Code" album. "No Code" is the only studio album that the Projects team has not given the "live" treatment to, and we figured that we would save the best for last.

Here are some parameters that we would like to go by for this project:

-All songs must be from the 1996 Tour.

-We will add 3-4 bonus songs at the end, which will be covers/B-sides/Improvs from the 1996 Tour.

-Best SQ as possible.

-Repeat Shows and Venues will be allowed for this Project.

-No songs from the other Pearl Jam studio albums will be considered for bonus tracks.

Please feel free to use this thread to make suggestions and give us feedback as to what would be good to include on this new compilation (and what wouldn't be good). I will be updating the working track list for this project on the front page of this thread (right here). Our plan is to slowly start putting this together on Monday (April 18th) and have it completed and ready for download by or before next Saturday (April 23rd).

Please feel free to check out our other projects as well:

Project #1

Mixed_Metaphor.jpg

Pearl Jam - Mixed Metaphor: Backspacer Live
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... pacer.html

Project #2

Vs%2BLive.jpg

Pearl Jam - Turpentine & Nepotism: Vs. Live
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... -live.html

Project #3

Disc%2B2.jpg

Pearl Jam - Ten Live: Then and Now
    Disc 1: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-1.html
    Disc 2: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-2.html

Project #4

The%2BTheory%2Bof%2BVitalogy.jpg

Pearl Jam - The Theory of Vitalogy
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... alogy.html

Project #5

TKAACover.jpg

Pearl Jam - The Kids Are Alright: The Songs of The Who
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... f-who.html

Project #6

Lights_Stars%2BCover.jpg

Pearl Jam - Light Becomes Stars: Binaural Live
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... aural.html

Project #7

YLCover.jpg

Pearl Jam - Static Echoes: Yield Live

Project #8

Whispers_Cover.jpg

Pearl Jam - The Whispers of War: Riot Act Live

Project #9

Cover.jpg

Pearl Jam - Break the Sky: Pearl Jam Live

Project #10 - "Pearl Jam - The Ascending Road Ahead: No Code Live" **Version 1**

Track List:

Sometimes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Hail, Hail - Hamburg, Germany (November 4, 1996)
    Who You Are - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    In My Tree - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Smile -
    Off He Goes - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 19, 1996)
    Habit - Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996)
    Red Mosquito - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Lukin - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    Present Tense - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)
    Mankind - Berlin, Germany (November 3, 1996)
    I'm Open - Barcelona, Spain (November 21, 1996)
    Around The Bend - 1996 Bridge School Benefit (October 20, 1996)
    Improv - Charleston, South Carolina (October 5, 1996)
    Roadhouse Blues Improv - Paris, France (November 7, 1996)
    Leaving Here - Hartford, Connecticut (October 2, 1996)

**Projected Release/Download Date: April 23rd, 2011**
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

Is a difficult choice! I do think the SQ is better for Hartford - particularly for the instruments - the drums and the guitars, and the playing is tight - all this makes it a polished performance.

When compared with N. Charleston though, Hartford sounds less impassioned - particularly on the vocals - which sound a bit less intense by comparison. Hartford overall sounded to me tighter, and stronger musically, whereas Charleston got to me more, and gave me more of an emotional reaction.

Very tough, I could imagine people preferring Hartford for the reasons above - but I think if I had to choose between them I would favour N. Charleston - because of a more passionate vocal,

We probably need to see which other people prefer overall

• Options
    BrainofBGA wrote:

Yeah, Cameron4President has done some great stuff with the covers. He has put a hell of a lot of work into these projects. Phenomenal

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Is a difficult choice! I do think the SQ is better for Hartford - particularly for the instruments - the drums and the guitars, and the playing is tight - all this makes it a polished performance.

When compared with N. Charleston though, Hartford sounds less impassioned - particularly on the vocals - which sound a bit less intense by comparison. Hartford overall sounded to me tighter, and stronger musically, whereas Charleston got to me more, and gave me more of an emotional reaction.

Very tough, I could imagine people preferring Hartford for the reasons above - but I think if I had to choose between them I would favour N. Charleston - because of a more passionate vocal,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this incredibly difficult
    It's because I cherish that song so much, means a lot and a lot

So it's between Hartford and North Charleston
    who's going to win ? ;)

tremors wrote:
    BrainofBGA wrote:

Yeah, Cameron4President has done some great stuff with the covers. He has put a hell of a lot of work into these projects. Phenomenal

the covers are great, Dan is amazing at making them
    they make this all seem so official :ugeek: :D
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Have you used "Long Road" yet for a bonus track?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Have you used "Long Road" yet for a bonus track?

Yes, project #4, The Theory of Vitalogy.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

I agree with this. ^
    North Charleston SQ is equally as good IMO

With this ^, not so much.

I think Hartford has a better SQ than North Charleston.

But North Charleston is not bad sound-wise and sure is a lot better than a lot of 96 boots.

I understand how you guys found it hard to choose between the two.

At first, I thought I liked N. Charleston better, because of the emotion it delivers. This version is special for this reason, I reckon.

Yet, this is not exactly the feeling I expect to get out of this song. Quite the opposite actually. To me, it's always been a very uplifting song, liberated and carefree - 'high' (in more than one sense 8-) ). So, although it's interesting to get the exact opposite feeling this time, I'd still favor Hartford over Charleston.

Comparing both of them with Berlin, I admit they stand out, even though I saw nothing wrong with this Berlin version we had in the first place.

So that's one vote for Hartford over N. Charleston and over Berlin.