The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    nova remains at the 3rd 3 seed, temple moves up to the top 8 seed in latest bracketology...

good week for both schools.

edit----another huge trap game for nova wednesday at the rac with the game of the year on saturday looming. that is a tough place to play and they always seem to give nova fits every year. after the providence loss, they can't afford to lose to anymore lower tier big east teams from here on out

yeah, i'm gonna go ahead and stop predicting these trap games. f-cking providence and rutgers. :x had awful feelings about both going in. to lose it the way the lost it tonight just makes it that much worse. son of a bee sting.

oh well, huuuuge game saturday. at least they need it that much more now.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    nova remains at the 3rd 3 seed, temple moves up to the top 8 seed in latest bracketology...

edit----another huge trap game for nova wednesday at the rac with the game of the year on saturday looming. that is a tough place to play and they always seem to give nova fits every year. after the providence loss, they can't afford to lose to anymore lower tier big east teams from here on out

yeah, i'm gonna go ahead and stop predicting these trap games. f-cking providence and rutgers. :x had awful feelings about both going in. to lose it the way the lost it tonight just makes it that much worse. son of a bee sting.

it actually made me pretty darn happy. nova losing in crushing fashion is even better than just a normal loss :D:D:D

although Jaegs i love them saturday night. coming off this loss, pitt still with only 1 league loss (no way they are only losing 1 in this league so they are totally due for a loss), and without gibbs, very tough spot for pitt.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Owls had a 25 point lead in the 1st half over the Bronx School for the Blind (Fordham) last night and then managed to let them get within 3 points in the 2nd half. (Rams should've had a 3-and-1 but they missed the free throw. :roll: ) Then they pulled away a little bit for an 11-pt win. Not a very convincing performance.

Owls won consecutive home games against teams nicknamed the Rams. Now there's some useful info. :lol:

Gonna have to do better Saturday afternoon at Dayton - it's time for a big road win for this team.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:

it actually made me pretty darn happy. nova losing in crushing fashion is even better than just a normal loss :D:D:D

although Jaegs i love them saturday night. coming off this loss, pitt still with only 1 league loss (no way they are only losing 1 in this league so they are totally due for a loss), and without gibbs, very tough spot for pitt.

good for you. at least got some kind of enjoyment out of this college basketball season;) :)

ah well, such is life in tbe big east.

i agree about the pitt game. actuall feel better about it than i did about last night. we shall see....then they play pitt again in 3 weeks :lol: the big east eats it's own children.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Owls had a 25 point lead in the 1st half over the Bronx School for the Blind (Fordham) last night and then managed to let them get within 3 points in the 2nd half. (Rams should've had a 3-and-1 but they missed the free throw. :roll: ) Then they pulled away a little bit for an 11-pt win. Not a very convincing performance.

Owls won consecutive home games against teams nicknamed the Rams. Now there's some useful info. :lol:

Gonna have to do better Saturday afternoon at Dayton - it's time for a big road win for this team.

johnny any word on Lavoy Allen's ankle sprain? i know he went out late in the game the other night but haven't heard if he is going to miss any time.
    pjhawks wrote:

johnny any word on Lavoy Allen's ankle sprain? i know he went out late in the game the other night but haven't heard if he is going to miss any time.

He's day-to-day and may miss the Dayton game. Damn. :evil:

I'm sure the tourney committee will take that into consideration. :roll: :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:

He's day-to-day and may miss the Dayton game. Damn. :evil:

I'm sure the tourney committee will take that into consideration. :roll: :lol:

thanks for the info. haven't heard much and haven't looked at any papers today. as long as it's not long term though should be ok. they will need him come tourny time for sure.
    Where is everybody? (um pjhawks & Jeags???)

Huge win for the Owls. They always struggle at Dayton and needed a good A-10 road win. And without Allen too. Amazingly Ramon Moore, a guard, got 9 defensive rebounds. Juan Fernandez had a nice game, finally, with 9 assists. Owls did miss 3 straight front ends of 1-and-1's in the 2nd half to keep Dayton in it. :roll: But hit some FT's at the end to put it away.

Big one against Richmond on Thursday at the Apollo. Win that and we can go 14-2 in the A-10 methinks (we are they - I can't make up my mind). And just one other random road game somewhere in North Carolina.

My buddy who went to Nova said before that game that Temple and Nova never win on the same day anymore. I think next week they might play on different days - lucky for the Cats! Pavillion streak is over. I have to say it was kind of an artificial thing, since they play their toughest home games at the WTF Center. Of course, I wish the Owls ended it, but what can you do?

I'd like to see Temple play Pitt - it would be 42-40 or something like that.

Huge win for the Owls. They always struggle at Dayton and needed a good A-10 road win. And without Allen too. Amazingly Ramon Moore, a guard, got 9 defensive rebounds. Juan Fernandez had a nice game, finally, with 9 assists. Owls did miss 3 straight front ends of 1-and-1's in the 2nd half to keep Dayton in it. :roll: But hit some FT's at the end to put it away.

Big one against Richmond on Thursday at the Apollo. Win that and we can go 14-2 in the A-10 methinks (we are they - I can't make up my mind). And just one other random road game somewhere in North Carolina.

My buddy who went to Nova said before that game that Temple and Nova never win on the same day anymore. I think next week they might play on different days - lucky for the Cats! Pavillion streak is over. I have to say it was kind of an artificial thing, since they play their toughest home games at the WTF Center. Of course, I wish the Owls ended it, but what can you do?

great win for the owls johnny. especially with allen out.

awful loss for the cats. pitt might be the best team in the country when fully healthy, but villanova was just sloppy for long stretches of that game. didn't help that fisch fouled out real early and stokes couldn't play. that rutgers loss really stings now.

on the plus side, it was great exposure for the school to have the game day crew there. i was not able to see it but the pavillion was rocking for it. i heard bilas say it was one of their best gamedays becuase the pavillion is so small is basically a real "gym.".....unfortunately the alumni didn't let that carry over into the game. at one point, after the announcers said something like "is this the same place we were at this morning?" the student section started chanting "we can't hear you!" to the alums. :lol: ...there's a pretty big disconnect between the students and the alums. speaking first hand, i have relatives who are alums and still have season tickets (used to go down with them when i was a kid--unfortunately my side of the family and their side have been involved in ww3 for the last 15 years so i cannot take advantage of it anymore :x ) and the students have a point. while these people care deeply about the team/school, a lot of them are just typical mainline older people who you just cannot imagine getting all crazy at a game. it's just not in them to do that. i dunno. it is what it is. sorry for the ramble.

please god let stokes' toe heal up ASAP!!! ugh. gotta take the next 4....they finish at notre dame and at pitt. the big east is f*cking nuts. nuts.
    chinese-happy.jpg

awful loss for the cats. pitt might be the best team in the country when fully healthy, but villanova was just sloppy for long stretches of that game. didn't help that fisch fouled out real early and stokes couldn't play. that rutgers loss really stings now.

on the plus side, it was great exposure for the school to have the game day crew there. i was not able to see it but the pavillion was rocking for it. i heard bilas say it was one of their best gamedays becuase the pavillion is so small is basically a real "gym.".....unfortunately the alumni didn't let that carry over into the game. at one point, after the announcers said something like "is this the same place we were at this morning?" the student section started chanting "we can't hear you!" to the alums. :lol: ...there's a pretty big disconnect between the students and the alums. speaking first hand, i have relatives who are alums and still have season tickets (used to go down with them when i was a kid--unfortunately my side of the family and their side have been involved in ww3 for the last 15 years so i cannot take advantage of it anymore :x ) and the students have a point. while these people care deeply about the team/school, a lot of them are just typical mainline older people who you just cannot imagine getting all crazy at a game. it's just not in them to do that. i dunno. it is what it is. sorry for the ramble.

please god let stokes' toe heal up ASAP!!! ugh. gotta take the next 4....they finish at notre dame and at pitt. the big east is f*cking nuts. nuts.

jaegs the 'we can't hear you chant' was aimed at a section of Pitt fans who right before that could be heard chanting lets go pitt. as for atmosphere the Pavillion has always been a wine and cheese crowd. i have to feel bad for nova that they have to replace Stokes with a McDonald's All-american like Cheek, it's such a hardship :lol:
    pjhawks wrote:

jaegs the 'we can't hear you chant' was aimed at a section of Pitt fans who right before that could be heard chanting lets go pitt. as for atmosphere the Pavillion has always been a wine and cheese crowd. i have to feel bad for nova that they have to replace Stokes with a McDonald's All-american like Cheek, it's such a hardship :lol:

nah it was aimed at the alumni (but i'm sure there were others aimed towards the pitt contingent too)...just basing it on a bunch posts by people who were there on some nova blogs. they started getting texts from friends watching on tv right after the comments i mentioned--chants started right after. lots of people pissed at the alums today. and, yeah, that's exactly my point about the pavilion. been like that since i was a kid going to games with my uncle (the epitome of a wine and cheese dude :roll: :lol: ). the big deal about yesterday was that they were on center stage for the whole country and thought they alums would step it up at least a little....nova should find a way to allocate more seats to the students instead of just that temporary section behind the basket.

and the drop off from stokes to cheek is pretty big...as evident by the last two games. stokes' sweet shot and senior leadership is invaluable to this team. most elite teams have all americans to replace a starter....but its the leadership and maturity that this team lacks without stokes that is most glaring. that said, i love watching cheek on defense.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    At the Temple-Nova game 4 of us Owls' fans were as loud as the rest of the section of Nova fans. And nobody stood up unless it was a commercial or halftime, despite the ridiculously uncomfortable seats.

Of course, most of the people in my area at Temple are just as bad. Nobody wants to make a sound, we get yelled at for standing to start the game (until the Owls score)...

But, the whole place was rollicking for the Georgetown game. :D

At the Temple-Nova game 4 of us Owls' fans were as loud as the rest of the section of Nova fans. And nobody stood up unless it was a commercial or halftime, despite the ridiculously uncomfortable seats.

Of course, most of the people in my area at Temple are just as bad. Nobody wants to make a sound, we get yelled at for standing to start the game (until the Owls score)...

never understood the standing until the 1st made basket thing but to each his own. i think most teams have a portion of fans who are not totally invested emotionally in the game and therefore don't stand and cheer as much. i see it everywhere from the Phils games to Hawks game. you just get a portion of the crowd that are there to be out and/or seen and the outcome of the game has no effect on them generally. nova fans are becoming a bit jaded, including the students, and generally only get excited for the biggest games. I've been on their message board and have heard many comments from their alumni about their current students being jaded with the success and that only the big games excite them much. we saw the same comments last year on here about some of the Phils fans. it's the nature of fans i guess.
    pjhawks wrote:
    never understood the standing until the 1st made basket thing but to each his own.

It's how we roll in North Philly. ;)

These people behind us whining about it - the energy they put into the bitching and moaning - they could stand for 2 freakin' minutes more easily. :roll: I mean, you look around and 2/3 of the crowd is standing. Get over it already, especially 3/4 of the way into the season.

pjhawks wrote:

never understood the standing until the 1st made basket thing but to each his own. i think most teams have a portion of fans who are not totally invested emotionally in the game and therefore don't stand and cheer as much. i see it everywhere from the Phils games to Hawks game. you just get a portion of the crowd that are there to be out and/or seen and the outcome of the game has no effect on them generally. nova fans are becoming a bit jaded, including the students, and generally only get excited for the biggest games. I've been on their message board and have heard many comments from their alumni about their current students being jaded with the success and that only the big games excite them much. we saw the same comments last year on here about some of the Phils fans. it's the nature of fans i guess.[/quote]

i would agree with this, to an extent. that said...most of their games are big games. they're in the big f-ing east :mrgreen: . the g town game down at the wfc had a great atmosphere. place was rocking. but still the alums behave the same way now as they did 15 years ago during the lappas years.

god damn that steve lappas by the way. so much talent and all they got to show for it is an nit championship :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
    god damn that steve lappas by the way. so much talent and all they got to show for it is an nit championship :x

Just be happy with the championship and another Final Four. Would you like 5 straight Elite 8 losses? :evil: Seriously, nobody cares who made it to the Elite 8. :twisted:

Owls 23rd in AP/25th in Coaches. Cats 15/14.

Lunardi: Owls 6 seed, Cats 4 seed.

Think I'd rather have the 6 seed. It's a good sweet spot for avoiding the 1 seed for a long time.

pjhawks wrote:

never understood the standing until the 1st made basket thing but to each his own. i think most teams have a portion of fans who are not totally invested emotionally in the game and therefore don't stand and cheer as much. i see it everywhere from the Phils games to Hawks game. you just get a portion of the crowd that are there to be out and/or seen and the outcome of the game has no effect on them generally. nova fans are becoming a bit jaded, including the students, and generally only get excited for the biggest games. I've been on their message board and have heard many comments from their alumni about their current students being jaded with the success and that only the big games excite them much. we saw the same comments last year on here about some of the Phils fans. it's the nature of fans i guess.[/quote]

i would agree with this, to an extent. that said...most of their games are big games. they're in the big f-ing east :mrgreen: . the g town game down at the wfc had a great atmosphere. place was rocking. but still the alums behave the same way now as they did 15 years ago during the lappas years.

haha loved the Lappas years. I'm one of few people who think Tony Gonzalez's best athletic performance was kicking Nova's ass in the 1997 tourny. what a great day for a Hawk fan that day was. Tony Gonzalez and Cal upset Nova in the afternoon and the Hawks made the Sweet 16 by beating BC that night. And the Old Dominion upset of Nova was classic. That was such a good Nova team that Lappas choked with against Old Dominion. ahh good memories. :lol:
    growing up in radnor, we all loved those lappas teams with kittles, williams, eberz, lawson etc etc etc....

i remember watching that old dominion game in our gym teacher's office. that room was a sports shrine. and the teacher was actually a d-1 referee when he was younger. so he had a ton of stories. about 20 of us were crammed in there expecting a nova blow out. alas, it was not to be. a young juggler was none too pleased.

f-cking lappas....
    chinese-happy.jpg

Just be happy with the championship and another Final Four. Would you like 5 straight Elite 8 losses? :evil: Seriously, nobody cares who made it to the Elite 8. :twisted:

getting to the elite 8 is nothing to be shamed of dude. especially 8 times. i liked that 06 nova team just about as much as i did the one from a couple years ago.

it so difficult to win a championship in college basketball.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i remember watching that old dominion game in our gym teacher's office.

Sounds a little sketchy... :lol:

That was a colossal choke. ODU has to give Nova fans nightmares to this day.

2000 Owls, with a 2 seed, lost to #7 Indiana in 2nd round, in Pepe's senior year. Probably the most crushing Temple defeat I can remember. (I guess losing to Duke in 1988 was probably worse, but I was pretty young then, and of course hadn't yet gone to Temple.)

2000 Owls, with a 2 seed, lost to #7 Indiana in 2nd round, in Pepe's senior year. Probably the most crushing Temple defeat I can remember. (I guess losing to Duke in 1988 was probably worse, but I was pretty young then, and of course hadn't yet gone to Temple.)

well played....i remember watching that indiana game at school with a bunch of temple fans. :lol:

and those same people never miss a moment to bust my stones whenever odu's name is mentioned. bastirds!
    chinese-happy.jpg

Johnny wasn't that Seton Hall with Shaheen Holloway or was that a different year? I think that was the Lamont Barnes/Mark Karcher team that lost to Seton Hall that I'm thinking about. Was that Pepe's year as well? Chaney went so many times hard to keep track.

and the Aaron Mckie/Eddie Jones team lost to the Fab 5 didn't they? Other than '88 I always thought that was Chaney's best team. They were awesome. That must have been 94 or 95. those 2 were unstoppable and unbelievable defensively. I thought that was the team that would get them to a final 4.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny wasn't that Seton Hall with Shaheen Holloway or was that a different year? I think that was the Lamont Barnes/Mark Karcher team that lost to Seton Hall that I'm thinking about. Was that Pepe's year as well? Chaney went so many times hard to keep track.

and the Aaron Mckie/Eddie Jones team lost to the Fab 5 didn't they? Other than '88 I always thought that was Chaney's best team. They were awesome. That must have been 94 or 95. those 2 were unstoppable and unbelievable defensively. I thought that was the team that would get them to a final 4.

Oops - I mixed it up. 1994 was Jones & McKie's senior year (and Brunson's jr year) and the #4 seed Owls lost to Indiana in the 2nd round. 1993 team lost to Michigan in the Elite 8. Did that team get stripped of its Final 4? If so, does that make Temple a Final 4 team in 1993? :? :roll: You're right - that team was really awesome, but pretty outmanned down low.

2000 was Pepe's sr year and the #2 seed Owls lost to Seton Hall in the 2nd round. That's even worse.

Both crushing defeats.

Yup, just looked it up. 1992-93 Michigan vacated all victories. There we go - Final Four Temple Owls. :clap:

Actually it really pisses me off that that team didn't really get a fair shot. They lost to, basically, a pro team.

PJ, coming to North Philly on Sunday afternoon??? :D

PJ, coming to North Philly on Sunday afternoon??? :D

haven't fully decided yet but looking like no right now. hawks play xavier at home wednesday night so after that beat down not sure i want to venture to north philly to watch our shitty team get its ass kicked again. although i've always enjoyed the Draught Horse before and after the games at Temple. Been there for a bunch of them including Goongate and the one we one at the buzzer 4 years ago. Last couple of times I've been there (didn't go last year either) though for Hawks-Temple since goongate the atmosphere has been kind of charged and not exactly accommodating to hawks fans to be honest. the beer at the games doesn't always help with that type of negative energy, although i love beer at the game.
    well that was a slop fest tonight. thankfully they held on. jay wright was pretty fired up afterwords. it looked like it was gonna be rutgers all over again.

here's to hoping stokes will be back for 'cuse.

also--james bell...BOOM. a glimpse of the future tonight. this kid can play. but watching him only made me pissed about the whole pinkston situation. i can't wait to see what he can do in this league next year.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    well that was a slop fest tonight. thankfully they held on. jay wright was pretty fired up afterwords. it looked like it was gonna be rutgers all over again.

also--james bell...BOOM. a glimpse of the future tonight. this kid can play. but watching him only made me pissed about the whole pinkston situation. i can't wait to see what he can do in this league next year.

so jaegs you were upset at Jamie Dixon for mentioning the Philly guys in the post game interview but were fine with Jay Wright pumping his fists and yelling at the top of his lungs as we walked up to the other coach to shake hands after beating a terrible team? it's cool Jay was excited for the win but thought it was kind of dbag move to be honest - act like you've been there before Jay.

only saw about the last 10 minutes but sure seemed like Fisher was pouting a lot. not sure what is up with him.

as for james bell, remember my comment after last game jaegs about how it must suck for jay to have to bring mcdonald's all-americans and top 75 recruits off the bench. :D

my Hawks have the pleasure of getting spanked by Xavier tonight. +9 at the moment, can't see how the Hawks get to 60 points in this one. Going to be ugly i think as X is too big and too strong and of course too talented for us.
    pjhawks wrote:

so jaegs you were upset at Jamie Dixon for mentioning the Philly guys in the post game interview but were fine with Jay Wright pumping his fists and yelling at the top of his lungs as we walked up to the other coach to shake hands after beating a terrible team? it's cool Jay was excited for the win but thought it was kind of dbag move to be honest - act like you've been there before Jay.

only saw about the last 10 minutes but sure seemed like Fisher was pouting a lot. not sure what is up with him.

as for james bell, remember my comment after last game jaegs about how it must suck for jay to have to bring mcdonald's all-americans and top 75 recruits off the bench. :D

my Hawks have the pleasure of getting spanked by Xavier tonight. +9 at the moment, can't see how the Hawks get to 60 points in this one. Going to be ugly i think as X is too big and too strong and of course too talented for us.

dixon seemed like a smug condescending douche in that interview. no i have no problem with wright showing a ton of emotion one second after his team escapes with a much needed win. :?

all americans? hey, nova's an elite program. :mrgreen: bell looks like a stud in the making.
    chinese-happy.jpg