Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    all i'm asking for is EFFORT today you son's of bitches.

play Villanova basketball for 40 minutes.

win or lose, battle to the very end. get some confidence back. win a couple games next week. see what happens next.

GO.
    NOVA.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,472
    Sr. Day for Lavoy against the lame LaSalle Explorers. This shouldn't be competitive.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Sr. Day for Lavoy against the lame LaSalle Explorers. This shouldn't be competitive.

Well, it actually was competitive. But it was a lot of fun to watch. An astounding (for Temple) 90-82 win.

Lavoy Allen scored a career high 24 in his last home game. He also outplayed monster LaSalle center Aaric Murray, who still scored 17. The Explorers actually had a 4 point lead in the 2nd half before the Owls took over.

Temple went 14-0 at home this year, 14-2 in the A-10 and 24-6 overall for a pretty decent regular season. Maybe we'll manage to get back into the Top 25. :roll:

Scootie won't be back until after the A-10 tourney; we'll worry more about the big dance this year.

Villanova's loss continued the streak of Owls/Cats not both winning on the same day.

pjhawks - Congrats on the big win at Charlotte to make the A-10 tourney. Sounds corny, but maybe it's something that program can build on.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

The Fixer had Pitt -9.5 :D

Jeags...good luck as the 9 seed in the midwest.
  • Options

Loved LaSalled getting 12.5. Bitched out and didn't take it.

I'd like to see temple do well in the tourney. Their alums are the opposite of the nova douche contingent
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I'd like to see temple do well in the tourney. Their alums are the opposite of the nova douche contingent

Weak. Don't want to hear that shit Kris! :lol: Nice job on Pitt though.

Thx - Jeags doesn't seem like a douche though. ;) I flashed 4 fingers to the team as they walked off and I yelled FINAL FOUR!!!

(yea, wishful thinking, right...)

• Options
    edited March 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

Weak. Don't want to hear that shit Kris! :lol: Nice job on Pitt though.

Thx - Jeags doesn't seem like a douche though. ;) I flashed 4 fingers to the team as they walked off and I yelled FINAL FOUR!!!

(yea, wishful thinking, right...)

Not saying I'm a temple fan. I'm not. I don't mind the owls. I can get behind temple, st joes, drexel, or lasalle. penn and especially nova are another story. I have met a bunch of nova alums and there's only been one that I like ( chick that was in our wedding. she's awesome and unpretentious, which is unheard of for a nova grad).

anywho...as for the college loyalties, I change like the weather (I like whoever I bet on). it's a shame those towson tigers wont be in the tourney yet again :? . pat kennedy, you really suck.

so for now...go owls
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    for the record my bets today....

uconn/nd over 137 (assfaces missed 3 of 4 free throws with under a minute left)
    cincy -4 g'town
    mich st pick michigan
    pitt -9.5 nova
    baylor +3.5 texas (hopefully no baylor guys kill anyone during game)

also had flyers since I was at game. horrendous
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Not saying I'm a temple fan. I'm not. I don't mind the owls. I can get behind temple, st joes, drexel, or lasalle. penn and especially nova are another story. I have met a bunch of nova alums and there's only been one that I like ( chick that was in our wedding. she's awesome and unpretentious, which is unheard of for a nova grad).

anywho...as for the college loyalties, I change like the weather (I like whoever I bet on). it's a shame those towson tigers wont be in the tourney yet again :? . pat kennedy, you really suck.

so for now...go owls

The couple Nova fans I know are pretty cool and unpretentious. On the other hand, I fucking can't stand Penn.

• Options
    baylor...get some

how does rick barnes still have such a high profile job? he's awful
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

The Fixer had Pitt -9.5 :D

Jeags...good luck as the 9 seed in the midwest.

we're two for two :) ....i bought 2 points and got nova at +11. i knew they wouldn't win but wanted to make it more exciting. without stokes and banged up fischer, i actually liked what i saw. all i wanted was solid effort from start to finish.

2 wins next week and i think they could wind up at a 7 seed.

but i'd rather 10 than 9 to be honest.

edit---johnny, this same day nonsense is getting a bit crazy, don't you think??? :?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    but i'd rather 10 than 9 to be honest.

edit---johnny, this same day nonsense is getting a bit crazy, don't you think??? :?

I'm with you on the 10 seed. I really hope Temple gets a 6. If the committee is anything like the poll voters, St. Johns will be about 8 seeds above Temple. :roll: :twisted: Hopefully losing to St. Bonaventure means something.

You know, I just looked at the schedules, and both teams won on Feb 2 & 5, so maybe it's a little overblown.

• Options
    temple and nova are both 7 seeds according to lunardi today. noav is the 2nd 7, temple is the last...teetering on the dreaded 8/9 match up.

i'm surprised. i thought nova would drop a little further. although both their losses last week came to top 5 teams in the country right now. :roll: :shock:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    temple and nova are both 7 seeds according to lunardi today. noav is the 2nd 7, temple is the last...teetering on the dreaded 8/9 match up.

i'm surprised. i thought nova would drop a little further. although both their losses last week came to top 5 teams in the country right now. :roll: :shock:

I just don't understand it. He has Temple 3 seeds below St. Johns, with 10 losses including St. Bonaventure & Fordham. Temple has one very mild bad loss at Duquesne. I don't know. I'm really pissed this shit is happening again this year.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208

I just don't understand it. He has Temple 3 seeds below St. Johns, with 10 losses including St. Bonaventure & Fordham. Temple has one very mild bad loss at Duquesne. I don't know. I'm really pissed this shit is happening again this year.

I think St. John's there is fine, they did beat Duke and Pitt. The Bonnies and Fordham losses were early in the season so they won't count those as much, although they have to be the only NCAA tournament team to ever lose to the Bonnies and Fordham in the same week.

Temple should probably be a 6 but even 7 puts them in the top 28 which is around where they are. Problem for the Owls is not a lot of big wins. Georgetown and that's about it.

Nova at 7 is probably correct at this point. 7 puts them in the 25-28 range as well. If they lose to South Florida tomorrow will be interesting how far they fall.

Also remember that some of the Big East seeds are going to be a bit out of whack because of the number of teams. Because they can't meet each other until the Sweet 16 there might have to be some teams moved around a line or two.

just watch on sunday how bad they screw BYU though. I bet they use the Davies suspension to totally screw them down a few lines.

Can't wait though, next couple of weeks is awesome.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    I think St. John's there is fine, they did beat Duke and Pitt. The Bonnies and Fordham losses were early in the season so they won't count those as much, although they have to be the only NCAA tournament team to ever lose to the Bonnies and Fordham in the same week.

You know Fordham went 1-15 in the A-10, right? :roll:

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

yes i do, 1st win in 2 years for them in the league. how far do you want St. John's to fall though? you can't kill them for one loss. As of now they are one of top 15-20 teams for sure. And somebody has to fill those lines. not a lot of great teams out there.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

yes i do, 1st win in 2 years for them in the league. how far do you want St. John's to fall though? you can't kill them for one loss. As of now they are one of top 15-20 teams for sure. And somebody has to fill those lines. not a lot of great teams out there.

I want them to fall below fucking 24-6 Temple, that's how far I want them to fall. I'm so sick of this Big East shit.

• Options
    I want them to fall below fucking 24-6 Temple, that's how far I want them to fall. I'm so sick of this Big East shit.

Johnny right or wrong Temple only beat 2 Top 50 teams all year. and you want the Johnnies to fall below Temple because of losses in december but you don't use the same logic for Nova vs. Temple.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Johnny right or wrong Temple only beat 2 Top 50 teams all year. and you want the Johnnies to fall below Temple because of losses in december but you don't use the same logic for Nova vs. Temple.

without having analyzed today's bracketology too closely, i could see temple being a 6 maybe.

i don't know why the beef is with st johns though. they're a solid team with some big wins down the stretch. there's probably another team higher seeded than temple that you can make a better case against...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Old Dominion is gonna be a tough out in the tourney. I'd love to see them play nova in one of the 7-10 games
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Old Dominion is gonna be a tough out in the tourney. I'd love to see them play nova in one of the 7-10 games

i wouldn't :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

might want to change your mind
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

huh?

i want nothing to do with old dominion for obvious reasons.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    without having analyzed today's bracketology too closely, i could see temple being a 6 maybe.

i don't know why the beef is with st johns though. they're a solid team with some big wins down the stretch. there's probably another team higher seeded than temple that you can make a better case against...

Like who? Villanova?

We'll see what happens.

Good luck vs. Old Dominion. :lol:

• Options

Like who? Villanova?

We'll see what happens.

Good luck vs. Old Dominion. :lol:

well i think you could make a better case against nova than st johns to be honest (i thought they'd drop further--but then again their two losses last week came against two teams curretnly in the top 5. BRUTAL! :x )
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

huh?

i want nothing to do with old dominion for obvious reasons.

ODU fell apart in 2nd half. that was a weird game. I felt like I was watching a pickup game...only with referees
  • Options
    what a night in college hoops in Philly. Hawks win on the road in OT, LaSalle wins on the road in double-ot in a wild crazy game and nova has one of the great chokes in Big East tourny history. Hawks get Duquesne friday afternoon. Like GW a team that will play a bit wild and give you open shots which should help the hawks. LaSalle game was crazy. Bonnies had a 7 point lead and the ball with like 40 seconds left and managed to lose it. LaSalle down 2 and scrub Weingarten hits a 3 to put them up and guy on Bonnies misses 2 free throws with 3 seconds left. Watching Giannini on the sidelines is worth the price of admission. nova i'm not allowed to talk about according to jaegs but all i say is wow. fucking love march boys. beers and hoops doesn't get any better.
  • Options
    utterly and thoroughly disgusted. same feeling i had after the odu game many many years ago actually.

what was so frustrating for me was i worked late tonight and had to watch on gamecast. took my last call right with about 15 minutes to go. turned into a great loan----but the call lasted the rest of the game. so i'm selling this dude this totally gnarly mortgage with the help of my adonis dna and tiger blood while watching nova suffer an incredibly slow and painful death at the same time. it was excruciating. i'm putting the phone on mute and screaming "what the fuck?!" in mid sentence. constantly putting the dude on hold. good god what an awful hour. luckily i locked the f-cker in.

i just don't get it. your best player shoots lights out in the first half...then barely gets any shots in the 2nd half. doesn't make any sense to me....what a waste of talent this year. they should decline the 11 or 12 seed. they don't deserve it right now!

hard to believe this was only 2 years ago. (i still get goose bumps watching this shit :mrgreen: ):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93APuOlB ... ure=fvwrel

gonna be sweating it out on sunday evening :x :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice W for the Hawks. I'd like to see them make a miracle run to the Final, and then lose to Temple. ;)

Owls get LaSalle on Friday. That won't help the old RPI too much.

At least 3 Big 5 teams are still playing this week. 8-)