Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    just when i don't think it can get any worse for my Hawks we fall deeper into the abyss. 2 players, Pat Swilling Jr. and Tood O'Brien accused of stealing laptops and suspended for last nights game. Swilling in particular looks to be in big trouble. at the very least he will be gone and if both are gone we are looking at 3 more transfers out. we are now down to 8 scholarship players and one doesn't play a lick. oh and Xavier didn't really play all that well and still kicked our ass. Good news is we only have Temple next :evil: This program is in deep kaka and is going to take years to get out of. Time for Phil to go I think. depressing. hopefully my 2nd favorite team (that is whoever is playing nova) can keep at it over the next few weeks. sorry Jaegs with my hawks sucking so bad all i got to hope for is nova keeping going into a slide.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,445
    I heard the Hawk was being read his Last Rites. :o It's a long way from 2004.

Big game for the Owls at home tonight against the bubble resident Richmond Spiders. Battle for 2nd in the A-10. Good night to avenge last year's blizzard loss down there. Let's Go Owls! :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,291
    looks like stokes may miss the rest of the regular season...chance he may be back for the pitt game to end the season.

god. damn. it. this really sucks.

:x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Big game for the Owls at home tonight against the bubble resident Richmond Spiders. Battle for 2nd in the A-10. Good night to avenge last year's blizzard loss down there. Let's Go Owls! :twisted:

maybe but the hawk still has a heart

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 49934.html

this kid did great. one year after being told he was paralyzed walked onto the court last night to a rousing ovation including both teams stopping their warmups to salute the kid and students had a roll-out made up for him. kid was really walking well i thought. was pretty damn cool.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

maybe but the hawk still has a heart

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 49934.html

this kid did great. one year after being told he was paralyzed walked onto the court last night to a rousing ovation including both teams stopping their warmups to salute the kid and students had a roll-out made up for him. kid was really walking well i thought. was pretty damn cool.

That was amazing. Seems like medical science has come along light years in the area of spinal cord injuries. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Owls came through with a convincing 20-point win, with Moore & Fernandez each scoring 20+. 20th straight home win. :D I think the Owls are really pulling it together - look out Duke! Oh yeah - Hawks first. ;)

• Options
    The Owls came through with a convincing 20-point win, with Moore & Fernandez each scoring 20+. 20th straight home win. :D I think the Owls are really pulling it together - look out Duke! Oh yeah - Hawks first. ;)

richmond looked overmatched. temple clearly the better team there. with eric hurt allen is their only big man left though right? and saw randell get hurt but didn't hear if that was anything.

trap game on sunday though - so your saying i got a chance...

and tell me johnny who is the more 'spectacular' defensive player, Lavoy Allen or Chase Utley? tough choice, Chase plays harder and Lavoy stands around a lot but i have to go with Lavoy, his rebounding numbers clearly show he has better hands than chase. :D:D:D (sarcasm dude don't get your panties in a bunch like others)
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

richmond looked overmatched. temple clearly the better team there. with eric hurt allen is their only big man left though right? and saw randell get hurt but didn't hear if that was anything.

trap game on sunday though - so your saying i got a chance...

and tell me johnny who is the more 'spectacular' defensive player, Lavoy Allen or Chase Utley? tough choice, Chase plays harder and Lavoy stands around a lot but i have to go with Lavoy, his rebounding numbers clearly show he has better hands than chase. :D:D:D (sarcasm dude don't get your panties in a bunch like others)

You're not gonna rope me in - who do I look like? Fixer? :lol: I really think Chase should win a gold glove at some point, but the injuries seem to affect him every year. His UZR is really good last I checked.

Allen had a great game last night. It's nice to finally see this team play to its potential. Not having Eric will be a killer against any team with an inside presence. Sucks - he really turned himself into a good player the last couple years. (through hard work more than natural ability - see...)

Hopefully Scootie is ok.

• Options
    from philly.com chat:

Keith Pompey: Just got word from Temple. Scootie is day to day. The Owls don't know where the internet rumors came from.

This guy personally spread the rumor of a broken foot for Scootie. :roll: Scared the shit out of me.

I feel really bad for Eric, but I think people are overestimating the impact. He's barely played in 2nd halves the whole year.

That overmatched Richmond team beat Temple last year. Pretty much all the same players. The Owls just played a great game. And, looking back through this thread, you know I'm tough on my team. Last 2 games they have been great.

• Options
    from philly.com chat:

Keith Pompey: Just got word from Temple. Scootie is day to day. The Owls don't know where the internet rumors came from.

This guy personally spread the rumor of a broken foot for Scootie. :roll: Scared the shit out of me.

I feel really bad for Eric, but I think people are overestimating the impact. He's barely played in 2nd halves the whole year.

That overmatched Richmond team beat Temple last year. Pretty much all the same players. The Owls just played a great game. And, looking back through this thread, you know I'm tough on my team. Last 2 games they have been great.

last year they had Gonzalvez as their 2 man. he was great. they don't have that this year. still a good team yes but was actually more praising temple with that comment. fran has everyone playing well at the moment. temple's depth has been a huge plus this year. they haven't had to rely on fernandez or moore to score each game. they've really gotten a lot out of randall and wyatt.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    from philly.com chat:

last year they had Gonzalvez as their 2 man. he was great. they don't have that this year. still a good team yes but was actually more praising temple with that comment. fran has everyone playing well at the moment. temple's depth has been a huge plus this year. they haven't had to rely on fernandez or moore to score each game. they've really gotten a lot out of randall and wyatt.

Definitely an impressive array of guards. Speaking of guards, McKie/Jones/Brunson to be honored at halftime Sunday. Those guys were fucking amazing. :D We should retire all of their numbers.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Definitely an impressive array of guards. Speaking of guards, McKie/Jones/Brunson to be honored at halftime Sunday. Those guys were fucking amazing. :D We should retire all of their numbers.

man those temple teams were fun to watch in the early 90's....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Swilling leaves St. Joe’s after violation

Freshman guard Patrick Swilling is no longer enrolled at St. Joseph's University because of an undisclosed violation of the university code. The son of NFL Hall of Fame player Pat Swilling averaged 1.3 points a game.

Also, junior center Todd O'Brien was not available for Sunday's game at Temple, but the 7-footer is expected to rejoin the Hawks following completion of a university judicial process.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The entire program is dead. Martelli needs to be fired he is such an asshole. He openly blasts his players after the game and calls his fan base jackasses. Phil it is not 2004, you killed this program because after Jameer you were satisified with you accomplishments and are literally sleeping on the job. His offense is so god damn bad a flex offense that goes no were but east west for 30 seconds and then one of his 4 streaky shooters that are the "future" chuck up an off balance 3 and the other team comes down and gives it to there bigs for a very easy bucket. At the xavier game this week a nationally ranked team was in the fieldhouse and half the building was empty. This team doesnt even have to be compared to nova or temple, how about xavier they were also in the elite 8 in 04 and look what they have turned there program into. How can you be the #1 team in the nation and the next 6 seasons have one tourney appearance! How does he think he deserves to keep his job while crippling the entire program?
  • Options
    Lavoy Allen (Temple's all-time leading rebounder): "Our student section was a little crazy today."

Yeah, you think? They all wore black t-shirts that said "RIP The Hawk." :o

They had a black coffin that said SJU, and a headstone that said "He Flaps No More." :shock:

Then a banner: The 5 Stages of Grief. :idea:
    5 more banners:
    Denial: 55 Years Chanting THWND :roll:
    Anger: Top Recruits - 7-18 Record :?
    Bargaining: Martelli's Severance Package :lol:
    Depression: Back-to-Back no Atlantic City :!:
    Acceptance: 9 in a Row :P

Then 3 loud rousing chants: "I BELIEVE THE HAWK IS DEAD" :mrgreen:

Also today, new football coach Steve Addazio got the old lady behind me to run onto the court and bulldoze the Hawk. Well, not quite, but everybody in there was ready to run down Broad St. to the Linc and play some football. :D

21-5 Owls are coming after you Duke! See you Wednesday!

(just a slightly drunk post) 8-)

• Options
    Lavoy Allen (Temple's all-time leading rebounder): "Our student section was a little crazy today."

They had a black coffin that said SJU, and a headstone that said "He Flaps No More." :shock:

5 more banners:

Also today, new football coach Steve Addazio got the old lady behind me to run onto the court and bulldoze the Hawk. Well, not quite, but everybody in there was ready to run down Broad St. to the Linc and play some football. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

i'm looking forward to wednesday's showdown
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

5 more banners:

Johnny as depressing at that is/was that was a classic job done by the Temple students. major props for that. To put that together down to a mock funeral and the tshirts was an awesome job. and the chant at the end was insanely loud even on tv. even though we suck i guess we still have some cache with temple fans, was that your largest crowd of the year? looked packed.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny as depressing at that is/was that was a classic job done by the Temple students. major props for that. To put that together down to a mock funeral and the tshirts was an awesome job. and the chant at the end was insanely loud even on tv. even though we suck i guess we still have some cache with temple fans, was that your largest crowd of the year? looked packed.

It wasn't that long ago that we lost 10 in a row (or something like that) to SJU. Memories aren't that short. Yeah, I think that was the biggest crowd of the season - even more than G-Town.

The "I Believe that we have won" chant (modified for St. Joe's, of course :lol: ) is an awesome development of the past few years. The rest of the crowd is starting to get into it a little bit too.

You're a good sport for still watching that game to the finish - I never would've guessed. :o;)

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

It wasn't that long ago that we lost 10 in a row (or something like that) to SJU. Memories aren't that short. Yeah, I think that was the biggest crowd of the season - even more than G-Town.

The "I Believe that we have won" chant (modified for St. Joe's, of course :lol: ) is an awesome development of the past few years. The rest of the crowd is starting to get into it a little bit too.

You're a good sport for still watching that game to the finish - I never would've guessed. :o;)

what can i say i am a pathetic loser die-hard fan and i never turn my teams games off because you never know what might happen (eagles-giants for example, injuries, etc.). and that crowd chanting/dancing at the end is why college hoops is the best. i love seeing that stuff (except at duke, f those kids). the fun and enthusiasm is great. maybe someday being a hawk fan will be fun again.

i hope you can win on wednesday. allen is going to have to stay in the game all 40 minutes and moore is going to have to score. duke is basically a 2-3 man team. their white big guys suck. it's all about smith, singler and dawkins/curry. keep them from a big run and i expect you guys to be close to the end. i'm sure duke will get all the calls though.
  • Options
    Owls managed to drop from 23rd to 24th in AP poll after two blowout wins, including over 9-2 in the A-10 Richmond. If we beat Duke we'll probably drop out of the poll altogether. :roll: :?

Also, Lunardi dropped us from 6 seed to 7 seed. What do we have to win by 100 every game?

Tough L for Cats - little too sloppy there. I guess they make a lot of money from those WF Center games, but they have no home court advantage at all.

• Options
    Owls managed to drop from 23rd to 24th in AP poll after two blowout wins, including over 9-2 in the A-10 Richmond. If we beat Duke we'll probably drop out of the poll altogether. :roll: :?

Also, Lunardi dropped us from 6 seed to 7 seed. What do we have to win by 100 every game?

Tough L for Cats - little too sloppy there. I guess they make a lot of money from those WF Center games, but they have no home court advantage at all.

nova is the top 4 seed according to lunardi. who the hell knows what it will be in a couple weeks though. they gotta win 2 of their last 3 (against some of the best schools in the country :roll: )...first they need to get their heads out of their asses.

i'm really looking forward to temple/duke on wednesday.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

This is a big opportunity for a signature win for this team. That Kansas game last year was rather disgraceful; we need a better showing in this game. This program gets no respect from the media, the polls, the selection committee, or even its own city. Just barely in the Top 25 after huge wins at Dayton & vs. Richmond. And the mock seeding has DROPPED from 6 to 7 in the past week. 7 seed? WTF

• Options

This is a big opportunity for a signature win for this team. That Kansas game last year was rather disgraceful; we need a better showing in this game. This program gets no respect from the media, the polls, the selection committee, or even its own city. Just barely in the Top 25 after huge wins at Dayton & vs. Richmond. And the mock seeding has DROPPED from 6 to 7 in the past week. 7 seed? WTF

i think they get respect in the city. but the bottom line is what you do in march and temple hasn't won a tourney game in what, 10 years? more respect/exposure will come once they start winning in march again...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i think they get respect in the city. but the bottom line is what you do in march and temple hasn't won a tourney game in what, 10 years? more respect/exposure will come once they start winning in march again...

I'm trying not to make too many excuses, but that Cornell team was absolutely loaded and was ridiculously seeded at 12. Sorry Jeags, but Nova would've had NO CHANCE against that team. And you could easily argue that Temple should've been seeded higher than Villanova last year. (Didn't Nova almost blow the 2/15 game last year?)

• Options

I'm trying not to make too many excuses, but that Cornell team was absolutely loaded and was ridiculously seeded at 12. Sorry Jeags, but Nova would've had NO CHANCE against that team. And you could easily argue that Temple should've been seeded higher than Villanova last year. (Didn't Nova almost blow the 2/15 game last year?)

isn't that an excuse though? :?

it is what it is. they didn't win. i'm just saying more respect will come once they finally get over the hump in the tourney. i'm not trying to knock them. i like temple. about time they do something in march though.....they had plenty of respect back in the 80's/90's/very early 2000's when they made all those runs.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

agree Cornell was loaded and was a complete joke they were a 12th (should have been 7-9 in my mind) seed but you are going to have to beat good teams in the NCAAs unless you get a 1 or 2 seed. Everyone else is tough. Remember too that if the Big East gets 11 teams some of the seedings have to be re-arranged due to the rules about teams from the same conferences not meeting each other until the regionals. seeing 10 or 11 big east teams is going to be a nightmare so that might be why temple dropped in lunardi's bracketology.
  • Options
    Looking at Temple's inside RPI on espn, the 5 games against MAC teams really kill their RPI. This contract of playing MAC teams is winding down soon, thankfully. Even going 5-0 against these teams, having all these out-of-conference games against 150+ RPI teams is a killer. Not to mention the games were boring as all hell.

By the way, the MAC contract is a by-product of the football team joining the MAC, which has worked out pretty well so far. Still sucks for the basketball team, which is always the first priority at Temple.

• Options
    Looking at Temple's inside RPI on espn, the 5 games against MAC teams really kill their RPI. This contract of playing MAC teams is winding down soon, thankfully. Even going 5-0 against these teams, having all these out-of-conference games against 150+ RPI teams is a killer. Not to mention the games were boring as all hell.

By the way, the MAC contract is a by-product of the football team joining the MAC, which has worked out pretty well so far. Still sucks for the basketball team, which is always the first priority at Temple.

i'm sure the hawks 200+ rpi didn't help either. beat duke though, no way they should be #1.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

i'm sure the hawks 200+ rpi didn't help either. beat duke though, no way they should be #1.

Right, but we can't control the A-10 schedule. If we get blown out tomorrow I will have to eat a lot of crow.

• Options
    Scootie will miss the Duke game. He had a really bad limp on Sunday. Dammit. I don't think we have a prayer. :evil: