Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    Scootie will miss the Duke game. He had a really bad limp on Sunday. Dammit. I don't think we have a prayer. :evil:

i think you have a shot. duke is not really that good. smith is fantastic, singler is good and the rest are ok. curry has been playing better of late and dawkins can make 3s but their big men suck. temple will be more athletic. depth is an issue especially with the fact that duke will get every call. it wouldn't be a shock to see you guys win.

and do you see what LaSalle did last night? wow they were down 41-8 and 71-27 at points before losing 100-62 at X. man they have quit on Dr. G.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,453
    pjhawks wrote:
    Scootie will miss the Duke game. He had a really bad limp on Sunday. Dammit. I don't think we have a prayer. :evil:

i think you have a shot. duke is not really that good. smith is fantastic, singler is good and the rest are ok. curry has been playing better of late and dawkins can make 3s but their big men suck. temple will be more athletic. depth is an issue especially with the fact that duke will get every call. it wouldn't be a shock to see you guys win.

and do you see what LaSalle did last night? wow they were down 41-8 and 71-27 at points before losing 100-62 at X. man they have quit on Dr. G.

Wow, that's horrible. Honestly, I hope they bring forth a better effort when they come to Temple - those games are pretty boring.

At this point I'm just hoping we cover the 14.5 point spread and don't get embarrassed tonight. Scootie is a really important player for this team.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Wow, that's horrible. Honestly, I hope they bring forth a better effort when they come to Temple - those games are pretty boring.

At this point I'm just hoping we cover the 14.5 point spread and don't get embarrassed tonight. Scootie is a really important player for this team.

it's all about Moore tonight, you guys need about 25 from him. hope you guys win, one of the two teams i'd definitely cheer for temple against :D
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    good luck to the owls tonight. i'm pulling for them. without scootie, this will be a tall order. that line would scare me if i'm an owl's fan though....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well that was an ass-kicking. I thought we were lucky to be in it for most of the 1st half. The 3-pter at the buzzer was a dagger and it was over after that.

Fernandez really needs to stay out of foul trouble early in games. It looked like he might be getting his shot back in the past couple games, but it's tough to play with 3 fouls in the 1st half.

At least Jefferson and Allen had nice games. It's nice to see Allen finally playing a little better.

Duke fans: nananana goodbye??? Seriously - you can't come up with something better than that? :roll: I thought you had to be smart to get into that school. :lol: Maybe you just have to have a lot of money and be from New Jersey...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    rough one johnny...

for some reason st joes/umass was broadcast on tv tonight. i accidentally flipped on that instead of temple...i then involuntarily vomited in my mouth. wow, that team is bad.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    Phil is fucking ollllllld looking.
  • Options
    rough one johnny...

for some reason st joes/umass was broadcast on tv tonight. i accidentally flipped on that instead of temple...i then involuntarily vomited in my mouth. wow, that team is bad.

jaegs imagine how i feel watching that slop as a fan of that. i watch hundreds of college hoops games a year and that has to go down as one of the 5 worst games i've ever watched. had to be the worst atmosphere for a game i've ever seen and 2 truly pathetic teams. as for phil looking old he is going down the path of speedy morris. he seriously needs to resign but i fear he will hang on and take his 650k a year for the next 4 years. so ugly to be a hawk fan.

johnny - too many early fouls for moore and fernandez. kind of could tell it would be a long night when in the 1st minute or so moore picked up a charge call (ticky tack in my mind but it's duke so they are getting those). needed fernandez and moore to play about 38 minutes each. and am i wrong but seems to me like temple plays better when fernandez is off the ball than when handling the ball. i think he is more of a scorer than point. man i hate duke and duke-light (jaegs can guess who that is). they are so fn annoying.
  • Options
    Their fans are so irritating. Oh well. I wouldn't blame the refs for anything yesterday - plenty of calls went against Duke as well. Just dumb fouls for Moore & Fernandez.

This program should make it out of the first round this year, and has an outside shot at Sweet 16, but otherwise isn't quite ready for primetime. I really like the future though. Jefferson played great until he got tired out.

Fucking Duke game next year is at WTF Center. Kansas came to our arena, but Douchebag K won't do it. We have no home court advantage in that place. Just ask Nova (although they play there all the time; we only play there when Duke comes).

• Options
    Their fans are so irritating. Oh well. I wouldn't blame the refs for anything yesterday - plenty of calls went against Duke as well. Just dumb fouls for Moore & Fernandez.

This program should make it out of the first round this year, and has an outside shot at Sweet 16, but otherwise isn't quite ready for primetime. I really like the future though. Jefferson played great until he got tired out.

Fucking Duke game next year is at WTF Center. Kansas came to our arena, but Douchebag K won't do it. We have no home court advantage in that place. Just ask Nova (although they play there all the time; we only play there when Duke comes).

coach K never ever plays a non-conference game on campus (expect acc-big ten challenge where he has no control). he always plays them in pro arena's. great coach but such a prick.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    rough one johnny...

jaegs imagine how i feel watching that slop as a fan of that. i watch hundreds of college hoops games a year and that has to go down as one of the 5 worst games i've ever watched. had to be the worst atmosphere for a game i've ever seen and 2 truly pathetic teams. as for phil looking old he is going down the path of speedy morris. he seriously needs to resign but i fear he will hang on and take his 650k a year for the next 4 years. so ugly to be a hawk fan.

yeah...that umass building is so dark. it looked liked like there was about 200 people in attendance. plus bad basketball being played.

how did they not capitalize off of that '04 (was that the year?) run? other mid level schools have been able to sustain a measure of success after a run like that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The curse of Temple & Villanova not winning on the same day continued today.

Owls got their asses kicked in the first 15 minutes. Fernandez was in foul trouble again, nobody could make a shot, I think 6 points in first 10 minutes or so. Then the boys took over and allowed only 15 minutes in the 2nd half. Of course, they probably should've dominated the whole game, but all's well that ends well. UMassHoles & LaSalle to finish up. Might need a win over Xavier in A-10 Championship game to move up to 6-seed. (seems like Xavier doesn't really bring it to the tourney anyway - saving it for the dance maybe)

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

And Nova still stinks.
    7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.

and Jaegs check Wayns and Fisher's 3-point percentage this year, it's putrid. wayns is good but nowhere near as good as Lowry. Lowry was so physical and tough. Wayns will not get to the basket at will in the Big East.

umm, care to retract this yet?

:lol:

umm...? anything, beuller, beuller....?

2-4 in the their last six and those two were squaking by two lousy teams. and still haven't played the two best teams on the road.
  • Options
    ha...it's nice knowing that villanova can give a fan of an 8-20 team some joy out of this college basketball season. :lol: you are welcome. and i already posted about it in the big east thread. hard to believe i've enjoyed watching the sixers more this year than nova. :mrgreen:

what can i say? they're not playing well at all right now (far from "stinking"- :lol: ), except the bayonne bomber. corey fischer just has not lead like a villanova senior is supposed to. very disappointed in him this last month. i think this team could end up missing stokes and pena more than him next year. especially if wayns comes back and improves.

not over yet. but there's a reason why i predicted 7 losses and wanted to put our over/under for losses at 8 or so. the big east is brutal. there's 5 teams with 7 conference losses right now. those are all decent teams and should all make the tourney. they're just playing against the best teams in the country on a nightly basis. this conference is too good for it's own good.

big east will have close to twice as many teams in the tourney than the next best conference. that is just insane.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Owls got their asses kicked in the first 15 minutes. Fernandez was in foul trouble again, nobody could make a shot, I think 6 points in first 10 minutes or so. Then the boys took over and allowed only 15 minutes in the 2nd half. Of course, they probably should've dominated the whole game, but all's well that ends well. UMassHoles & LaSalle to finish up. Might need a win over Xavier in A-10 Championship game to move up to 6-seed. (seems like Xavier doesn't really bring it to the tourney anyway - saving it for the dance maybe)

how long has this "same day" thing been going on for?

do you go down to ac for the tourney? my buddy and his dad go every year and they have a blast...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ha...it's nice knowing that villanova can give a fan of an 8-20 team some joy out of this college basketball season. :lol: you are welcome. and i already posted about it in the big east thread. hard to believe i've enjoyed watching the sixers more this year than nova. :mrgreen:

what can i say? they're not playing well at all right now (far from "stinking"- :lol: ), except the bayonne bomber. corey fischer just has not lead like a villanova senior is supposed to. very disappointed in him this last month. i think this team could end up missing stokes and pena more than him next year. especially if wayns comes back and improves.

not over yet. but there's a reason why i predicted 7 losses and wanted to put our over/under for losses at 8 or so. the big east is brutal. there's 5 teams with 7 conference losses right now. those are all decent teams and should all make the tourney. they're just playing against the best teams in the country on a nightly basis. this conference is too good for it's own good.

big east will have close to twice as many teams in the tourney than the next best conference. that is just insane.
    come on jaegs you sound like jay whining about how tough it is. if they finish below 8th that is an average or worst season like i said back in december. you ripped on me at the end of january so just thought i'd bring that back out last night (in a late night drunken post but whatver) and my bball points above were spot on and are true. lack of depth and only one quality shooter. and fisher has always been a head case and cancer in my opinion. very talented but never liked his attitude. and banging a teammates gf is pretty scummy.
  • Options

how long has this "same day" thing been going on for?

do you go down to ac for the tourney? my buddy and his dad go every year and they have a blast...

I don't know - my buddy from Nova mentioned it to me. Maybe since December?

I haven't gone down as yet. We were talking about it, but got some obstacles to clear.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

come on jaegs you sound like jay whining about how tough it is. if they finish below 8th that is an average or worst season like i said back in december. you ripped on me at the end of january so just thought i'd bring that back out last night (in a late night drunken post but whatver) and my bball points above were spot on and are true. lack of depth and only one quality shooter. and fisher has always been a head case and cancer in my opinion. very talented but never liked his attitude. and banging a teammates gf is pretty scummy.

well jay wright is correct. it is tough as hell. different world than what your used to in the a10. 11 teams with not so good conference records will most likely make the tourney. 6 teams in the conference have as many losses as nova does right now and will all be dancing in march. again, there's a reason why i put the over under for losses at 8.

and you said they "stunk" back then. :lol:. come on now. nothing spot on about that. :mrgreen:

they went 8-8 in conference a few years ago and made a run to the sweet 16. so, we'll see happens.

for the record, i have no problem with any other philly school when they're not on the court against nova. i rooted for st joes hard in '04. i don't get all the hate. oh well.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

well jay wright is correct. it is tough as hell. different world than what your used to in the a10. 11 teams with not so good conference records will most likely make the tourney. 6 teams in the conference have as many losses as nova does right now and will all be dancing in march. again, there's a reason why i put the over under for losses at 8.

and you said they "stunk" back then. :lol:. come on now. nothing spot on about that. :mrgreen:

they went 8-8 in conference a few years ago and made a run to the sweet 16. so, we'll see happens.

for the record, i have no problem with any other philly school when they're not on the court against nova. i rooted for st joes hard in '04. i don't get all the hate. oh well.

jaegs i grew up a St. Joe's fan. I lived through Rollie and him trying to bend over the Big 5 and went to school and played hoops almost every day with a bunch of nova fans in mid 80's and '85. I don't like or cheer for the NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys, New York Mets, or New York Rangers so why would anyone expect me to cheer or not hate Nova? In some ways having your rival in the same town is even worse than not. Imagine having to listen to Cowboys fans all year long. and you think I'm a jerk for my comments about Nova fans but the fact is they are the most obnoxious fan base i've ever seen or heard. they think they are Duke on the basketball court and Harvard academically. they're not either. so yes I hate them like you hate the Dallas Cowboys. Not sure why that is hard to understand. oh well.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    My thing is if you can't by a nick bag a block from your campus, and have the fear of being bashed over the head by a beer bottle walking home from the bar, then you are not a Philly school and definitely not a Big 5 school.
  • Options
    My thing is if you can't by a nick bag a block from your campus, and have the fear of being bashed over the head by a beer bottle walking home from the bar, then you are not a Philly school and definitely not a Big 5 school.

gary mclain and reggie redding found their nick bags a block from campus didn't they? or did they just use stolen phone cards to call their dealers? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

jaegs i grew up a St. Joe's fan. I lived through Rollie and him trying to bend over the Big 5 and went to school and played hoops almost every day with a bunch of nova fans in mid 80's and '85. I don't like or cheer for the NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys, New York Mets, or New York Rangers so why would anyone expect me to cheer or not hate Nova? In some ways having your rival in the same town is even worse than not. Imagine having to listen to Cowboys fans all year long. and you think I'm a jerk for my comments about Nova fans but the fact is they are the most obnoxious fan base i've ever seen or heard. they think they are Duke on the basketball court and Harvard academically. they're not either. so yes I hate them like you hate the Dallas Cowboys. Not sure why that is hard to understand. oh well.

some pent up frustration, eh? yikes :lol:

and for the record, i don't believe i ever called you a jerk. tool...now that is a term i may have used though. :thumbup: :wave:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

and for the record, i don't believe i ever called you a jerk. tool...now that is a term i may have used though. :thumbup: :wave:

frustration no. again do you cheer for the Dallas Cowboys? well to me Nova is the Dallas Cowboys for me for college hoops. i have never ever cheered for the Dallas Cowboys and never would. and i would never ever cheer for nova and never would. and living in this area you have to listen to annoying nova fans like you do the cowboys fans. or should i say nova fans when they are winning just like cowboy fans. those two are the exact same for me. i know you feel the same way about the cowboys and their fans.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

frustration no. again do you cheer for the Dallas Cowboys? well to me Nova is the Dallas Cowboys for me for college hoops. i have never ever cheered for the Dallas Cowboys and never would. and i would never ever cheer for nova and never would. and living in this area you have to listen to annoying nova fans like you do the cowboys fans. or should i say nova fans when they are winning just like cowboy fans. those two are the exact same for me. i know you feel the same way about the cowboys and their fans.

you should just type out your first sentence and follow it up with a "yada, yada, yada" and you'd accomplish the same thing.

yeah i hate the cowboys. when talking football, i spend the majority of time talking about my team instead of hating on them. especially during years when my team b-l-o-w-s. (i actually gained a lil bit of respect for some cowboys fans in here when they shut up this year.) ;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I cheer pretty hard for St. Joe's & Nova in the tourney (after Temple is out). I can't stomach rooting for Penn however. (and LaSalle hasn't been relevant for a long time)

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

you should just type out your first sentence and follow it up with a "yada, yada, yada" and you'd accomplish the same thing.

yeah i hate the cowboys. when talking football, i spend the majority of time talking about my team instead of hating on them. especially during years when my team b-l-o-w-s. (i actually gained a lil bit of respect for some cowboys fans in here when they shut up this year.) ;)

you do? should i go find the fraud fan threads and visit the threads of all the other teams? seems to me you visit those an awful lot. and at least you gotta admit i'm not a fraud fan. i'm still there with my hawks and i was still here talking about nova when they were playing well. 8-)

edit: i only see like 7 posts on the last 2 pages in the SF Giants thread but yeah you don't talk about other teams :roll: so what's worse fraud or lier
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

you do? should i go find the fraud fan threads and visit the threads of all the other teams? seems to me you visit those an awful lot. and at least you gotta admit i'm not a fraud fan. i'm still there with my hawks and i was still here talking about nova when they were playing well. 8-)

edit: i only see like 7 posts on the last 2 pages in the SF Giants thread but yeah you don't talk about other teams :roll:

"especially during years when my team b-l-o-w-s" ...there's not much you can say about the cowboys when the eagles suck. kinda like how a fan of an 8 win st joes team ( :lol: ) has no business ripping nova for "sucking."

thanks for the edit though. some good work there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I cheer pretty hard for St. Joe's & Nova in the tourney (after Temple is out). I can't stomach rooting for Penn however. (and LaSalle hasn't been relevant for a long time)

agreed. i have no beef with penn though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    especially during years when my team b-l-o-w-s" ...there's not much you can say about the cowboys when the eagles suck. kinda like how a fan of an 8 win st joes team ( :lol: ) has no business ripping nova for "sucking."

well then shouldn't you not be in the SF Giants thread since they kicked our ass and won the title? add hypocrite to the list as well :|:|:|
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    especially during years when my team b-l-o-w-s" ...there's not much you can say about the cowboys when the eagles suck. kinda like how a fan of an 8 win st joes team ( :lol: ) has no business ripping nova for "sucking."

well then shouldn't you not be in the SF Giants thread since they kicked our ass and won the title? add hypocrite to the list as well :|:|:|

well unless you think the phils "b-l-o-w" because we lost the nlcs in 6 games and are the odds on favorites to win the world series. :? blowing is being 3-11 in conference dude.

maybe you should sit the next few posts out.

edit--look! i posted in the giants thread again :o:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg